PDA

View Full Version : Great Blue North Report 2010 1st Round Projection

hawaiiansteel
01-25-2010, 03:20 AM
GREAT BLUE NORTH DRAFT REPORT

2010 1ST-ROUND PROJECTION (assuming Colts win Super Bowl)

January 25, 2010
*Denotes underclassman

1 St. Louis Ndamukong Suh DT Nebraska
2 Detroit *Gerald McCoy DT Oklahoma
3 Tampa Bay *Derrick Morgan DE Georgia Tech
4 Washington *Jimmy Clausen QB Notre Dame
5 Kansas City *Eric Berry S Tennessee
6 Seattle *Sam Bradford QB Oklahoma
7 Cleveland *Carlos Dunlap DE Florida
8 Oakland *Joe Haden CB Florida
9 Buffalo Russell Okung OT Oklahoma State
10 Denver (from Chicago) *Dez Byant WR Oklahoma State
11 Jacksonville *Jason Pierre-Paul DE South Florida
12 Miami *Rolando McClain LB Alabama
13 San Francisco Sergio Kindle LB Texas
14 Seattle (from Denver) *Bryan Bulaga OT Iowa
15 New York Giants *Earl Thomas S Texas
16 Tennessee *Brian Price DT UCLA
17 San Francisco (from Carolina) Trent Williams OT Oklahoma
18 Pittsburgh Mike Iupati OG Idaho
19 Atlanta Taylor Mays S Southern California
20 Houston C.J. Spiller RB Clemson
21 Cincinnati *Golden Tate WR Notre Dame
22 New England Ricky Sapp DE Clemson
23 Green Bay *Anthony Davis OT Rutgers
24 Philadelphia Brandon Spikes LB Florida
25 Baltimore *Damian Williams WR Southern California
26 Arizona Brandon Graham DE Michigan
27 Dallas *Bruce Campbell OT Maryland
28 San Diego *Jonathan Dwyer RB Georgia Tech
29 New York Jets *Arrelious Benn WR Illinois
30 Minnesota Colt McCoy QB Texas
31 New Orleans *Everson Griffin DE Southern California
32 Indianapolis Jared Odrick DT Penn State

Discipline of Steel
01-25-2010, 07:36 AM
Im not so excited about a guard with Urbik in the breach. I hope we continue to restock our D with a CB or DL on the first pick.

Pittsburgh
01-25-2010, 07:41 AM
I hope we continue to restock our D with a CB or DL on the first pick.

I second that.

Oviedo
01-25-2010, 08:49 AM
Im not so excited about a guard with Urbik in the breach. I hope we continue to restock our D with a CB or DL on the first pick.

Lots of these mocks have us taking a OL in this draft. That pretty much assures me that we won't. You bring up the exact problem with drafting an OL man...where is he going to play?

The only real positions on the OL that may be open for competition is Center and Right Guard. You aren't getting a starting Center in this draft and there are already 5 players (Urbik, Foster, Essex, Stapleton, Legursky) on the roster to battle for the RG position.

I think the team will take a wait and see with the new OL coach and see if he can improve what he has versus buring the #18 on OL. I think we will use #18 for a Safety, ILB, DL or RB.

phillyesq
01-25-2010, 11:30 AM
Lots of these mocks have us taking a OL in this draft. That pretty much assures me that we won't. You bring up the exact problem with drafting an OL man...where is he going to play?

Mocks can be really hit or miss. I don't think anybody predicted Mendenhall, but I know that Miller and Timmons were widely predicted in mocks.

I'd be fine with an offensive lineman, but I'd hate to see a guard at 18.

RuthlessBurgher
01-25-2010, 11:33 AM
There aren't any legit 1st round CB's after Haden.

I highly doubt that Bruce Campbell and Anthony Davis will be available when we pick. I think Campbell and Davis go in the top 10 or 15, ahead of Bryan Bulaga and Trent Williams. If either was on the board when we pick, that would be a better pick that Iupati at #18. We usually can draft a top guard if we want to, but it's not often that we are able to get a legit LT prospect. Even though I think Max Starks has been playing well at LT and we can bring back Colon for one more year with an RFA tender to play RT, I wouldn't mind getting a legit LT prospect in the fold at all. I'm not satisfied with adequate play from our o-line...I want an injection of elite talent here if possible.

Next season, the 1st round rookie tackle would provide solid depth if anything happened to Starks or Colon (should be a better option than Tony Hills or Trai Essex or Ramon Foster), and would be insurance if we were not willing to pay top dollar for Colon after this season. If he outplays Colon in camp right off the bat, there is the possibility of moving Colon inside to RG (Kugler may be more willing to consider this than Zeirlein was). The rookie could start out at RT, like Marvel Smith and Max Starks did, and may eventually move over to LT like Marvel and Max.

Oviedo
01-25-2010, 11:45 AM
There aren't any legit 1st round CB's after Haden.

I highly doubt that Bruce Campbell and Anthony Davis will be available when we pick. I think Campbell and Davis go in the top 10 or 15, ahead of Bryan Bulaga and Trent Williams. If either was on the board when we pick, that would be a better pick that Iupati at #18. We usually can draft a top guard if we want to, but it's not often that we are able to get a legit LT prospect. Even though I think Max Starks has been playing well at LT and we can bring back Colon for one more year with an RFA tender to play RT, I wouldn't mind getting a legit LT prospect in the fold at all. I'm not satisfied with adequate play from our o-line...I want an injection of elite talent here if possible.

Next season, the 1st round rookie tackle would provide solid depth if anything happened to Starks or Colon (should be a better option than Tony Hills or Trai Essex or Ramon Foster), and would be insurance if we were not willing to pay top dollar for Colon after this season. If he outplays Colon in camp right off the bat, there is the possibility of moving Colon inside to RG (Kugler may be more willing to consider this than Zeirlein was). The rookie could start out at RT, like Marvel Smith and Max Starks did, and may eventually move over to LT like Marvel and Max.

Fans all want to move Colon to Guard, but I've never heard a single person in the organization say they viewed Colon as a Guard. As a matter of fact just the opposite.

For them to draft an OT in Round 1 that will essentially be saying they are going to let Colon leave. I have never heard any indication they plan to let him leave.

Jom112
01-25-2010, 12:01 PM
Iuputi will be a stud in the NFL. Maybe not your biggest need but I don't think you guys would be unhappy after you see him play.

14 Seattle (from Denver) *Bryan Bulaga OT Iowa

Not a bad draft for Seattle if it goes down this way. Matt Hasselbeck like Jake Delhomme is done. The quicker they realize that the better (For them at least)...

Shawn
01-25-2010, 12:21 PM
We won't be drafting a Guard at #18. If we are to reach for a non skill position on the OL it would be Pouncey-Center.

RuthlessBurgher
01-25-2010, 01:05 PM
We won't be drafting a Guard at #18. If we are to reach for a non skill position on the OL it would be Pouncey-Center.

I like Pouncey in Round 2. In fact, if the first 4 rounds went down as you project in your sig mock (Thomas, Pouncey, Troup, and Gerhart), would be very satisfied with that.

Mister Pittsburgh
01-25-2010, 01:21 PM
IF they go guard in round 1, it better be a trade down to gather more picks scenario. I do think our interior OL is the weak link on offense though. Wish there was a Mangold out there to put in at C year one.

I am leaning toward an ILB in the first. Wouldn't be upset with a S but don't want Taylor Mays. Would love to move up in the draft and snag Haden from Florida if he could start year one.

Oviedo
01-25-2010, 01:52 PM
IF they go guard in round 1, it better be a trade down to gather more picks scenario. I do think our interior OL is the weak link on offense though. Wish there was a Mangold out there to put in at C year one.

I am leaning toward an ILB in the first. Wouldn't be upset with a S but don't want Taylor Mays. Would love to move up in the draft and snag Haden from Florida if he could start year one.

I agree with the trade down screnario and Iupati would be a great pick upo at about #25 plus but that would also mean they are giving up on other players on the OL and I don't think they do that until they see what the new OL coach can do.

Haden start in Year 1? Are you kidding? Has Le Beau retired? it won't happen on the defensive side of the football as long as Le Beau is here which is why you don't go defense at #18.

Shawn
01-25-2010, 01:56 PM

There is...and his name is Pouncey. I believe he can start from day 1.

Shawn
01-25-2010, 02:02 PM

I like Pouncey in Round 2. In fact, if the first 4 rounds went down as you project in your sig mock (Thomas, Pouncey, Troup, and Gerhart), would be very satisfied with that.

Oh me too...I would be very happy. I don't think Pouncey will fall to us in the second though...but he could. He is a dominate C with a high ceiling. I think if we want Pouncey we either need to trade down in the first or up in the second.

Jom112
01-25-2010, 02:22 PM

Oh me too...I would be very happy. I don't think Pouncey will fall to us in the second though...but he could. He is a dominate C with a high ceiling. I think if we want Pouncey we either need to trade down in the first or up in the second.

I'm telling ya, keep an eye on J.D. Walton over the next couple of months.

The guy might not be able to match-up physically with Pouncey, but he knows how to finish his blocks. He's intelligent and has that attitude you want in a center.

Would make a great 3rd round pick...

RuthlessBurgher
01-25-2010, 02:31 PM
http://www.draftcountdown.com/ScoutingReports/C/JD-Walton.php

http://img.coxnewsweb.com/C/08/14/89/image_8689148.jpg

Center | Baylor | SR J.D. Walton
Height: 6-3 | Weight: 305 | 40-Time: 5.25

Strengths:
Good size and bulk --- Tough and physical --- Finisher who plays with a nasty demeanor and has a killer instinct --- Excellent leadership qualities --- Gets a big push in the run game --- Stout at the point of attack --- Mobile with decent range --- Gets to second level --- Can hit a moving target --- Smart with great awareness --- Competitive --- Motor runs non-stop --- Hard worker --- Durable --- Lots of quality experience.

Weaknesses:
Limited athletically --- Not very quick or agile --- Feet aren't nimble and doesn't slide smoothly --- Is not overly powerful --- Won't always jolt defenders with a violent initial punch --- Can be almost too aggressive at times --- Frame might be maxed out --- May not have a lot of upside.

Notes:
"J.D." is short for Justin Daniel --- Was a three-year starter for the Bears and never missed a game --- Garnered 1st Team All-American honors from the Associated Press in 2009 --- Named 2nd Team All-Big 12 in 2009 --- Began his college career at Arizona State, where he redshirted in 2005 --- Sat out the 2006 season as a transfer --- Made regular appearances on the Big 12 Commissioner's Honor Roll for his performance in the classroom --- Doesn't possess eye-popping physical tools but makes up for it with top-notch intangibles and by doing all the little things --- Good football player and will challenge for a starting job

How do you make 2nd team All-Big 12 and 1st team All-American in the same year? :wink:

Shawn
01-25-2010, 05:31 PM
http://www.draftcountdown.com/ScoutingReports/C/JD-Walton.php

http://img.coxnewsweb.com/C/08/14/89/image_8689148.jpg

Center | Baylor | SR J.D. Walton
Height: 6-3 | Weight: 305 | 40-Time: 5.25

Strengths:
Good size and bulk --- Tough and physical --- Finisher who plays with a nasty demeanor and has a killer instinct --- Excellent leadership qualities --- Gets a big push in the run game --- Stout at the point of attack --- Mobile with decent range --- Gets to second level --- Can hit a moving target --- Smart with great awareness --- Competitive --- Motor runs non-stop --- Hard worker --- Durable --- Lots of quality experience.

Weaknesses:
Limited athletically --- Not very quick or agile --- Feet aren't nimble and doesn't slide smoothly --- Is not overly powerful --- Won't always jolt defenders with a violent initial punch --- Can be almost too aggressive at times --- Frame might be maxed out --- May not have a lot of upside.

Notes:
"J.D." is short for Justin Daniel --- Was a three-year starter for the Bears and never missed a game --- Garnered 1st Team All-American honors from the Associated Press in 2009 --- Named 2nd Team All-Big 12 in 2009 --- Began his college career at Arizona State, where he redshirted in 2005 --- Sat out the 2006 season as a transfer --- Made regular appearances on the Big 12 Commissioner's Honor Roll for his performance in the classroom --- Doesn't possess eye-popping physical tools but makes up for it with top-notch intangibles and by doing all the little things --- Good football player and will challenge for a starting job

How do you make 2nd team All-Big 12 and 1st team All-American in the same year? :wink:

Sounds like a Kugler type of guy...tough, motor, mean. Sounds good on paper...I have never seen him play.

birtikidis
01-25-2010, 05:36 PM

There is...and his name is Pouncey. I believe he can start from day 1.
eh, I doubt it... I like both pouncey's but I'm not a big believer. i think he's a 2nd rounder...

Mister Pittsburgh
01-25-2010, 09:16 PM

I agree with the trade down screnario and Iupati would be a great pick upo at about #25 plus but that would also mean they are giving up on other players on the OL and I don't think they do that until they see what the new OL coach can do.

Haden start in Year 1? Are you kidding? Has Le Beau retired? it won't happen on the defensive side of the football as long as Le Beau is here which is why you don't go defense at #18.

In my opinion that is a big issue. I think somebody much higher up than DL has declared he wants young players to be prepared much sooner than we have been doing. To me it is a complete joke that after mini camps, a full training camp, and preseason that a 1st round draft pick DE for the 3-4 wasn't the primary backup to Aaron Smith. That is a complete joke.

hawaiiansteel
01-25-2010, 10:03 PM
[quote="Mister Pittsburgh":vtgybp7p]IF they go guard in round 1, it better be a trade down to gather more picks scenario. I do think our interior OL is the weak link on offense though. Wish there was a Mangold out there to put in at C year one.

In my opinion that is a big issue. I think somebody much higher up than DL has declared he wants young players to be prepared much sooner than we have been doing. To me it is a complete joke that after mini camps, a full training camp, and preseason that a 1st round draft pick DE for the 3-4 wasn't the primary backup to Aaron Smith. That is a complete joke.[/quote:vtgybp7p]

I totally agree. It is a coaches' job to teach, develop and prepare his players. By giving playing time to the Kirschkes and the Easons of the world instead of to your #1 draft choice that you invested millions of dollars into you are simply retarding that younger player's progress and development. Ziggy Hood has the potential to become a very good player and help the Steelers for years to come, Kirschke and Eason do not.

buckeyehoppy
01-25-2010, 10:31 PM

Hey, RB... if Shawn's entire mock went down like this, I'd be creaming my Wranglers.

Altho, at this stage of the game with the current Steelers FO, I'll believe OL before the 3rd round when I see it.

NJ-STEELER
01-26-2010, 02:19 AM
if the draft would work out like that.

i'd hope they would look into what it would take to get ahead of miami to take mcclain or ahead of the NYG to take thomas.

although i think the NJG look for LB help more then secondary. phillips should be healthy at the start of the year

steelblood
01-26-2010, 09:39 AM
I think an OT like Bulaga or perhaps Trent Williams (if his spotty play this was indeed a result of injuries) could be a good pick at 18. Bulaga and Williams can play on either side. If we stick with Essex at RG that leaves us with Tony Hills and Ramon Foster (probably a better pro G than a T) as our backup tackles. Most seasons one of your starting tackles is injured. A long term injury to Starks would likely have disastrous effects on our line. If Starks or Colon went down, I'd be pleased to bring in one of these kids. In the very least they could push for playing time and ratchet up the intensity a little. Also, both have the ability to play G if necessary. They could also help our short yardage situation by coming in as a third TE. This organization's investment in Ben is too large to protect with the backup tackles we currently have on the roster. It would be nice to have a rookie that has the potential come in and play either tackle well.

Also, Maybe our new Oline coach will like Colon as a Guard.

I am NOT saying that OT is our most pressing need, but if Earl Thomas, McClain, Spikes, and Dan Williams are all off the board before we pick, I'd consider going with one of these OTs (if we can't trade down) before the corners who are late first, early second round talents.

NW Steeler
01-26-2010, 12:53 PM
I think an OT like Bulaga or perhaps Trent Williams (if his spotty play this was indeed a result of injuries) could be a good pick at 18. Bulaga and Williams can play on either side. If we stick with Essex at RG that leaves us with Tony Hills and Ramon Foster (probably a better pro G than a T) as our backup tackles. Most seasons one of your starting tackles is injured. A long term injury to Starks would likely have disastrous effects on our line. If Starks or Colon went down, I'd be pleased to bring in one of these kids. In the very least they could push for playing time and ratchet up the intensity a little. Also, both have the ability to play G if necessary. They could also help our short yardage situation by coming in as a third TE. This organization's investment in Ben is too large to protect with the backup tackles we currently have on the roster. It would be nice to have a rookie that has the potential come in and play either tackle well.

I am NOT saying that OT is our most pressing need, but if Earl Thomas, McClain, Spikes, and Dan Williams are all off the board before we pick, I'd consider going with one of these OTs (if we can't trade down) before the corners who are late first, early second round talents.

Agreed. I would like Thomas, Spikes or McClain as well. But if all of them are gone, I would not be upset if they took Bulaga with their first pick and Pouncey with their second. Not sexy or exciting, but potentially very good for the future of this team.

papillon
01-26-2010, 01:01 PM

Hey, RB... if Shawn's entire mock went down like this, I'd be creaming my Wranglers.

Altho, at this stage of the game with the current Steelers FO, I'll believe OL before the 3rd round when I see it.

That is an excellent mock draft. :stirpot :moon :P

Pappy

RuthlessBurgher
01-26-2010, 01:15 PM

Agreed. I would like Thomas, Spikes or McClain as well. But if all of them are gone, I would not be upset if they took Bulaga with their first pick and Pouncey with their second. Not sexy or exciting, but potentially very good for the future of this team.

Bulaga and Pouncey is what Wexell suggested early on, and I wouldn't be opposed to it at all. Such a draft could potentially transform our o-line from being adequate to being somewhat of a force within the next year or two. Remember, Kugler did a good job getting rookies Eric Wood and Andy Levitre able to play well early up in Buffalo.

Of course, in order to get away with addressing neither FS nor NT in the first two rounds, we would need to extend Clark to a reasonable deal and at least franchise Hampton (perhaps extend him to a 3-year deal as well). We'd have to spend the most of the rest of the draft addressing defensive depth at all levels, though, likely moving over to the offensive side again only to grab a late round RB as depth behind Mendenhall and Moore with Parker likely moving on.

Oviedo
01-26-2010, 01:19 PM

Bulaga and Pouncey is what Wexell suggested early on, and I wouldn't be opposed to it at all. Such a draft could potentially transform our o-line from being adequate to being somewhat of a force within the next year or two. Remember, Kugler did a good job getting rookies Eric Wood and Andy Levitre able to play well early up in Buffalo.

Of course, in order to get away with addressing neither FS nor NT in the first two rounds, we would need to extend Clark to a reasonable deal and franchise Hampton at the minimum (perhaps extend him to a 3-year deal as well). We'd have to spend the next most of the rest of the draft addressing defensive depth at all levels, though, likely moving over to the offensive side again only to grab a late round RB as depth behind Mendenhall and Moore with Parker likely moving on.

So you assume they plan to let Colon walk then?

I think more than likely bring in rookies, the team will wait and see what Kugler can do with the players currently on the roster. I think they will want to see if he can do for Hills, Urbik, Foster, Stapleton, etc. what he did for Jason Peters. While fans are ready to give up on those players and assume that rookies with no NFL experience are better I doubt the people who matter are.

NW Steeler
01-26-2010, 01:28 PM
I think that our current O-line is what it is. Yeah, that is cliche, but we need to infuse some TALENT into the line. This is an average line at best. I think the left side of our line is fine, but the right side could certainly be upgraded. I don't think that our line will become a force with its' current bodies, no matter who is coaching them. Can they be serviceable? Sure. But I'd like to see them become dominant. I don't want to hold my breath every time we face a third and short and actually try to run for the first down.
And again, I am only saying that we take the OL route if all of the top picks at S and LB are already off the board.

RuthlessBurgher
01-26-2010, 01:34 PM

Of course, in order to get away with addressing neither FS nor NT in the first two rounds, we would need to extend Clark to a reasonable deal and franchise Hampton at the minimum (perhaps extend him to a 3-year deal as well). We'd have to spend the next most of the rest of the draft addressing defensive depth at all levels, though, likely moving over to the offensive side again only to grab a late round RB as depth behind Mendenhall and Moore with Parker likely moving on.

So you assume they plan to let Colon walk then?

I think more than likely bring in rookies, the team will wait and see what Kugler can do with the players currently on the roster. I think they will want to see if he can do for Hills, Urbik, Foster, Stapleton, etc. what he did for Jason Peters. While fans are ready to give up on those players and assume that rookies with no NFL experience are better I doubt the people who matter are.

I could foresee an o-line of Starks-Kemoeatu-Pouncey-Colon-Bulaga being awfully physical and imposing. That has the look of a big ol' nasty Steeler line.

Kugler has talked about putting players in a position to succeed. I think Colon is an excellent mauler when blocking in a phone booth, but he struggles out in space when on an island against speed rushers. Koogs may realize this as well, and try him inside, which is something that Zeirlein was unwilling to consider. Sure, tackles make more than guards in general, so Colon may resist the switch, but top guards make more than average right tackles (and please don't bring up the ProFootballFocus rating again).

NW Steeler
01-26-2010, 01:44 PM
I just wonder why everyone here thinks that Colon would make a good guard and the Steelers have never even considered putting him there (as far as we know). Maybe because they had no one better to put at RT? If it is that simple, then draft a RT to push him to RG. If the "new" RT gets injured, he can always slip out to RT again. That has extra value right there.

calmkiller
01-26-2010, 01:59 PM
15 New York Giants *Earl Thomas S Texas

If either of these fall I would trade up to get either one. If earl is on the board still at 15 pull that trigger. McClain even at 12 is a almost worth it to me.

To move up from 18th to 12th its only 300 points on the trade chart. That is basically our 2nd round pick. To move up to 15th it is only 130 points so we could go with a 5th and 6th easily. We could get a hell of a player either way and still have pick to use.

Oviedo
01-26-2010, 02:00 PM
I just wonder why everyone here thinks that Colon would make a good guard and the Steelers have never even considered putting him there (as far as we know). Maybe because they had no one better to put at RT? If it is that simple, then draft a RT to push him to RG. If the "new" RT gets injured, he can always slip out to RT again. That has extra value right there.

The Steelers had a RT and his name was Max Starks. The team felt Colon was better and that is why he playes there. I have never once heard anyone "officially" affiliated with the Steelers ever talk about Colon as a Guard. As a matter of fact they have praised him at RT but the fan experts are already sure a untested rookie will play better than this 3 year starter.

The other issue is what makes you think for a seond that Colon will embrace moving to Guard. Sure they can force him but if they do don't expect him to tesign here because he knows that Tackles get more $$$ than Guards.

Personally, I think if they go OL in Round 1 the more likely choice is Mike Iupati who you know is the top rated Guard and they would see if they could grow him into a tackle. He is getting looks at LT but not showing well.

49ers head coach Mike Singletary has settled in to keep an eye on the defensive linemen, as has a representative of the Vikings scouting staff. Mike Iupati looks unbeatable at guard during one-on-one drills, but gets beaten badly at times when moved to LT. Ducasse's struggles continue as he's beaten all four times during one-on-ones

NW Steeler
01-26-2010, 02:06 PM

The Steelers had a RT and his name was Max Starks. The team felt Colon was better and that is why he playes there. I have never once heard anyone "officially" affiliated with the Steelers ever talk about Colon as a Guard. As a matter of fact they have praised him at RT but the fan experts are already sure a untested rookie will play better than this 3 year starter.

The other issue is what makes you think for a seond that Colon will embrace moving to Guard. Sure they can force him but if they do don't expect him to tesign here because he knows that Tackles get more $$$ than Guards.

Yes, Starks was at RT, until Marvel went down. Then they were forced to move him to LT and start Colon at RT. Watching Colon this year, it seemed like he got beat a lot, especially later in the season. And yes, I think a rookie could outplay him. I'm not saying that if we draft Bulaga that he will, but there are a lot of rookie OL that start from day one. And I wouldn't expect Colon to embrace a move to G, but I also wouldn't get into a bidding war for him as a T. But if they let him walk, they have to draft a starting caliber T.

hawaiiansteel
01-26-2010, 03:55 PM
THE GREAT BLUE NORTH MAILBAG

January 26, 2010

# Team Player POS School

1 St. Louis Ndamukong Suh DT Nebraska
Could not blame the Rams for this pick, as he's been talked about being the best DL seen in college in a long time. I tend to think you should never pass up a franchise QB if you don't already have one (and the Rams don't). But maybe they think they can get one more season from Bulger, and might get Locker next year. Or Mallett. Obviously though, either Suh or Clausen would instantly make the Rams a better team, so can't knock them either way.

2 Detroit *Gerald McCoy DT Oklahoma
They got their franchise QB last year, so McCoy is an instant upgrade over pretty much anyone on their DL this past season. If they get Suh, then they get excited. If they have to "settle" for McCoy, that's fine too.

3 Tampa Bay *Derrick Morgan DE Georgia Tech
I've been going back and forth on this pick in this exact scenario (Suh and McCoy gone). Do they go with Eric Berry and get a DB playmaker? Do they grab a LT with Okung? Or do they continue rebuilding along the DL? Derrick Morgan was a guy I had not put this high in the draft, but the more I read about him, the more I do not feel this would be a reach by the Bucs. He fits a 4-3 defense very well at DE. And they need that. I think they wouldn't go wrong with either Morgan or Berry. But I think grabbing Okung or another OT might be a mistake here, as they can get a capable OT in the 2nd if they really want one.

4 Washington *Jimmy Clausen QB Notre Dame

Again, not sure how I feel about this path by the Redskins either. A lot of people are saying that Shanny will want his "own" QB. But the blocking for them sucked last year, so Okung makes sense too. I also feel that they sunk enough money into the defense last year (Haynesworth and Orakpo) and will stay on offense for this pick. Again, this pick probably goes back to the wisdom that getting a franchise QB only comes along so often, so you should do it.

5 Kansas City *Eric Berry SS Tennessee
This pick might serve the Chefs better if they went OT, but the honest truth is that they seriously need playmakers on both sides. And Eric Berry fits that description more than almost any other player in this draft. Whether on returns or at safety, this guy is by (I think) BPA at this pick. Plus he fills a requirement for them in getting impact players. Especially if they still don't think LB Derrick Johnson fits that category.

I've been curious what kind of offense Carroll might run in Seattle. This pick would help him in 2011, for sure, as I doubt Bradford would step in immediately. Or rather, he wouldn't have to. He can get healthy, learn a little about a pro style offense, instead of strictly the spread formation. And I think he can easily make that transition too. I would think this would make a great start to Seattle's draft this year.

7 Cleveland *Carlos Dunlap DE Florida
Ugh. No clue how to handicap this guy. All the measurables, so little of the top flight effort. If he comes to play every game, he would be a steal here for a team that needs DL help outside Shaun Rogers. But I simply can't get behind Carlos Dunlap being a long term impact player in the NFL. Not yet anyway.

8 Oakland *Joe Haden CB Florida
If Haden fell to this pick, the Raiders would HAVE TO pick him. Right? Or would this be too obvious for Old Al? With the ongoing transition of the NFL from a running league to a passing league, having Haden and Asomugha would be a killer advantage for the Raiders defense.

9 Buffalo Russell Okung OT Oklahoma State
This is another one of those "Does it make too much sense?" picks. They have sucked on OL since Peters was traded. And they know it. They also know that no matter who the QB is, they can't play with the current OL. If Buffalo passed on Okung, they would (and should) be doomed to pick this high again next year.

10 Denver (from Chicago) *Dez Bryant WR Oklahoma State
I am a lifelong Broncos fan, so when I say this, consider that fact. This picks makes little sense when you consider who is making the picks. Xanders and McDaniels both come from backgrounds (McD especially) where WRs are not first round picks for the team. If and when they lose Marshall, I still say this makes no sense. Everyone else has them taking McClain here. So going a different direction is fine. They have a HUGE need at interior OL, but Iupati doesn't grade out this high. Pouncey doesn't either. With that in mind, it makes far more sense to pick on defense. So either McClain (the "vanilla" pick but a good one) or even Terrance Cody at NT make sense. If they follow the BPA path, as I suspect they will, then they will likely take McClain if he's there, as he does grade out as probably the best at this pick.

11 Jacksonville *Jason Pierre-Paul DE South Florida
I like the fact that Tebow is NOT this pick. I personally have Spiller at this pick for the Jags. But only because I think they realize they need another playmaker on offense. However, their pass rush has been utterly ordinary and this pick would absolutely help that.

Have to imagine that if McClain is here, then Parcells will sprint to the podium. Not that I'd want to see that personally. Parcells has a long history of taking LBs in the first round (except a flop of Terry Glenn way back when), so this pick would be perfect for him.

13 San Francisco Sergio Kindle LB Texas
I've agreed with this exact pick here for a while. But I've seen quite a few mocks that have Kindle out of the 1st round. Can't understand why. The guy got his act together this past season. He fills a blatant SFO need for a rush linebacker. And has all the skills needed to work well for Singletary. The only knock on this pick would be the bad recent track record of OLB/Rush LB in a 3-4 (see NYJ, Vernon Gholston). I think this would be a great pick by them though.

14 Seattle (from Denver) *Brian Bulaga OT Iowa
Finally a replacement for Walter Jones. Kinda surprised that Bulaga is the second OT off the board. But would not argue against it either. Another possible is DE, as they got little production from that spot and are getting older. If there were a CB who graded out here, they could go that route too. But there aren't.

15 New York Giants *Earl Thomas SS Texas
This is exactly who I've got going to the Jints also. Maybe they go OL, if they think they will have a couple guys leaving, which I doubt given the possible uncapped year and the fluid FA rules. They could also use a MLB like Brandon Spikes. But I think Thomas grades out higher than Spikes overall.

16 Tennessee *Brian Price DT UCLA
Like this pick also, as they simply were not the same defense without Haynesworth, and they are getting very old at DE. Plus they might lose one or two DEs as free agents if the CBA gets fixed.

17 San Francisco (from Carolina) Trent Williams OT Oklahoma
This makes sense, given that they need a RT on the other side of Staley. I've seen a few people project Spiller here, which at first glance is questionable. But it's the kind of screwball pick that almost starts to look conceivable. But with Glen Coffee playing so well, I kinda doubt they go RB this early. Possible pick on defense again, if they feel they need to upgrade at safety (Mays, maybe?).

18 Pittsburgh Mike Iupati OG Idaho
While I really like this pick, and think this might be their best choice, I wonder if the Stillers would go for an OG this early. I personally think he would be worth it, given how he's working out at the Senior Bowl. But they also have a huge need at DL (2/3 are over 30yo) and safety (they looked vulnerable without Polamalu). Also, CB could be an area of need if they lose one or two players, plus they are getting older there.

19 Atlanta Taylor Mays FS Southern California
Atlanta simply needs playmakers on defense. This is a good pick for them, as Mays hits hard, but tackling could be an issue for him. Some people are saying he was exposed without the other stars from the 2008 defense. I still think he can be an effective safety in the NFL, especially at his size and with his speed.

20 Houston C.J. Spiller RB Clemson
Wow. I really had never considered Spiller here. Mostly because I had him at either Jax or SFO earlier. Is Spiller enough of a difference from Slaton to warrant this pick? That might be my only question. Plus their need on DL and CB might dictate a pick there. Could not argue if they did pick Spiller though.

21 Cincinnati *Golden Tate WR Notre Dame
WR and DL seem to be the spots they SHOULD focus on here. Who knows if they agree. They weren't the same defense after a couple DL injuries this year. And they certainly need another WR, so they can get back to a more balanced offense and away from running so much.

22 New England Ricky Sapp DE Clemson
This was probably the one mock pick I actually really disagreed with. For two reasons. First, Belichick himself has actually said it's hard to pick a rookie for the rush LB spot in the 3-4 defense. Granted, they have transitioned to a hybrid defense now, so things have changed a little. But a rush LB this early would seem to contradict Bill's stated thesis. And they still have three 2nd rounders too. Second, while the Pats really need LBs, I would think they would go with Spikes first or even Jerry Hughes (whom you have falling out of the 1st round).

23 Green Bay *Anthony Davis OT Rutgers
Can not argue at all about this pick. Somebody else might mention the ages of their CBs, but the OL was really exposed against Arizona. Makes perfect sense.

24 Philadelphia Brandon Spikes LB Florida
Like this pick too, as I think it allows them to keep Witherspoon on the outside, and replaces Trotter (who ended the season as their MLB). However, they seemed to have a greater need at DE. Plus, Stewart Bradley seemed to be fine at MLB until he got hurt. Having said that, upgrading to Spikes would probably be worth it for them.

25 Baltimore *Damian Williams WR Southern California
Like this pick, although CB might be an even greater need for them. Depends on whether they think any CB grades out high enough for this pick, which seems iffy. Mark Sanchez said something about Damian Williams like he was the most NFL ready WR in terms of route running, hands, etc. From what I saw I agreed. And let's be honest, their best WR was well over 30yo and actually retired before last season. Enough said.

26 Arizona Brandon Graham DE Michigan
Unless the Cards are shifting back to a 4-3 defense, I am unsure how Graham can fit in here. He's 270 pounds, and I think has played with his hand on the ground his whole college career. Maybe I'm wrong on that though. Maybe Graham can shift to OLB in a 3-4 defense. I'm just not so sure about that.

27 Dallas *Bruce Campbell OT Maryland
This is the first time I've seen the Cowboys going OT with this pick. While I suspect they have some greater needs on DL, I do like this pick. If only because their push on the OL last season seemed to be far less than we've seen from them in years past.

28 San Diego *Jonathan Dwyer RB Georgia Tech
We all know LT is gone next season. Or so it seems. I like this as his obvious replacement as early as next season.

29 New York Jets *Arrelious Benn WR Illinois
Braylon Edwards certainly drops too many passes. But so has Benn in college. It's either WR or DL for the Yets, IMO. The DL is getting older for them. Plus they might need an OLB or two sooner than later, especially since they whiffed on Gholston.

30 Minnesota Colt McCoy QB Texas
Not sure what to say here. I think they need to replace the right side of their OL. But you can't argue with them if they pick QB here either. DT to replace the aging Williamses would make sense too. I think the Saints exposed how to beat the Vikes defense in the start of the game this weekend --- play hurry up a lot in the first half and get the DTs tired. And when Jimmy Kennedy is your best depth at DT, then you had better start working on that spot. But they would like McCoy in Minny if they did pick him here.

31 Indianapolis Jared Odrick DT Penn State
This pick certainly fits with the idea that they need to replace a couple guys on DL. And this would continue their work in the middle of the 2009 draft. A few people are saying they need to work on rebuilding OL at this point. But I like the DL pick here for them, since they face a bigger problem there sooner than later.

32 New Orleans *Everson Griffin DE Southern California
(Disclaimer: I'm a Saints fane for the next two weeks, so I took the liberty of switching picks 31 & 32)
I've seen more than a few people say that Griffin has huge bust potential because he takes too many plays off. And while that certainly seemed to be the case when I watched him (only a couple times, mind you), the Saints need to improve their pass rush opposite Will Smith. And Charles Grant seems like to be gone soon. The only other spot I could really see for them here would be OLB.

NW Steeler
01-26-2010, 04:00 PM
So if that draft were to become reality, you have Iupati, Mays and Spikes there for the picking. That is a tough choice. Then again, maybe you trade down a few spots, get another draft pick and still have one of those players still on the board?

Chadman
01-26-2010, 07:47 PM
Iupati does tick a number of boxes for the Steelers- #1 player at his position, highly rated, fits the scheme, could even be best player available at #18.

That said, if Iupati was to be drafted, you have Kemo at LG, Urbik was drafted last season to play RG. Starks is on good money. Where does Iupati play? Center?

That's a high draft pick, and a lot of money, for a guy that might not have a spot to play.

Or it says they give up on Urbik.

hawaiiansteel
01-26-2010, 08:23 PM
Iupati does tick a number of boxes for the Steelers- #1 player at his position, highly rated, fits the scheme, could even be best player available at #18.

That said, if Iupati was to be drafted, you have Kemo at LG, Urbik was drafted last season to play RG. Starks is on good money. Where does Iupati play? Center?

That's a high draft pick, and a lot of money, for a guy that might not have a spot to play.

Or it says they give up on Urbik.

Iupati excels at LG, put him there. Kemo, Essex, Urbik, Foster, Stapleton and Legursky can compete at RG. I would think Kemo would be the favorite to start there, he and Willie Colon might form a pretty good right side of the line.

Essex would compete with Ramon Foster to be the main back-up on game days at both the G and T positions and Hartwig can fight off the challenges of Stapleton, Legursky and possibly Urbik at C...competition breeds efficiency and if we are to return to the Super Bowl we need better production from our OL both in pass protection and on running plays. A new coach may help, a new stud OL could help even more.

Willie Colon will be a RFA if this year is uncapped, but do we want to pay him Franchise tag money after that if he proves hard to re-sign.

hawaiiansteel
01-27-2010, 01:54 AM
2010 NFL Mock Draft
RotoWorld.com 01/26/10

18. Pittsburgh Steelers: Clemson RB C.J. Spiller

Owner Art Rooney informed Mike Tomlin following the season that he wants the Steelers to be more run-oriented after finishing with a 536:428 pass-to-run ratio. While the NFL is a passing league and offensive coordinator Bruce Arians will continue to air it out, drafting a back like Spiller would satisfy Rooney while immediately upgrading Pittsburgh's stagnant return units. Spiller combined for an NCAA-most five return TDs as a senior. Also finishing with a 5.6 YPC average and 36 catches as Clemson's every-down back, Spiller could provide a Felix Jones-like complement to inside runner Rashard Mendenhall. The Steelers have a big hole at No. 2 tailback.

Oviedo
01-27-2010, 09:35 AM
2010 NFL Mock Draft
RotoWorld.com 01/26/10

Owner Art Rooney informed Mike Tomlin following the season that he wants the Steelers to be more run-oriented after finishing with a 536:428 pass-to-run ratio. While the NFL is a passing league and offensive coordinator Bruce Arians will continue to air it out, drafting a back like Spiller would satisfy Rooney while immediately upgrading Pittsburgh's stagnant return units. Spiller combined for an NCAA-most five return TDs as a senior. Also finishing with a 5.6 YPC average and 36 catches as Clemson's every-down back, Spiller could provide a Felix Jones-like complement to inside runner Rashard Mendenhall. The Steelers have a big hole at No. 2 tailback.

I would be OK with Iupati because he may be able to grow into an OT, but Spiller is absolutely the right chice if he is on the board at #18.

All the same things said about Iupati apply to Spiller. Best player at his position, position of need and more importnatly the one who could contribute the soonest in multiple dimensions of the game, e.g. returner, runner and receiver.

frankthetank1
01-27-2010, 12:36 PM
2010 NFL Mock Draft
RotoWorld.com 01/26/10

I would be OK with Iupati because he may be able to grow into an OT, but Spiller is absolutely the right chice if he is on the board at #18.

All the same things said about Iupati apply to Spiller. Best player at his position, position of need and more importnatly the one who could contribute the soonest in multiple dimensions of the game, e.g. returner, runner and receiver.

the steelers have bigger needs than a back up rb and return man but spiller is the bpa if he is still there at 18. if we got spiller we would finally have as good of a threat on st's like we use to have with ARE. spiller seems like the reggie bush type nfl player only he can actually be solid at the RB position. i would be shocked and dissapointed if we passed on spiller

RuthlessBurgher
01-27-2010, 02:21 PM
2010 NFL Mock Draft
RotoWorld.com 01/26/10

the steelers have bigger needs than a back up rb and return man but spiller is the bpa if he is still there at 18. if we got spiller we would finally have as good of a threat on st's like we use to have with ARE. spiller seems like the reggie bush type nfl player only he can actually be solid at the RB position. i would be shocked and dissapointed if we passed on spiller

I would be shocked and disappointed if we drafted another RB in the first round for the second time in 3 years, especially with so many other more pressing needs elsewhere. Yes, Spiller may have the most immediate impact of any player we could draft. But I want the best player, not just the one that would provide an impact the soonest. In 2003, staying put and drafting Larry Johnson would have given us a more immediate impact than trading up for Polamalu (but taking the guy that would help us the most in the long run instead of the one that offered the most immediate gratification was the smart move).

By the way, we already have a special teams threat that is good as, if not better than, Randle El. Stefan Logan's kick return average of 26.7 is better than Randle El has ever had at any point in his 8 year career. Logan's 9.3 average on punt returns was bested by ARE only twice in 8 seasons (12.0 in 2003 and 10.2 in 2005). Since he left us, his punt return averages have been 8.8, 6.1, 6.5, and 6.0. He only returned 1 kickoff in 4 years in Washington.