PDA

View Full Version : Your Dark Horse?

Shawn
01-23-2010, 09:01 PM
Just wondering who that player is that you seem to know a little more about than anyone else. Who do you believe very few people know about but will emerge as a very good pro talent?

Mine?

Well...I know tOSU better than any school I suppose. But, how can you find a dark horse on the Bucks? How about an underused TE?

I can't remember a time that such a talent got lost on a Buckeye squad. But, Jake Ballard is a very good TE talent. Jake Ballard is a 6 foot 6...250 pound TE who got lost in the shuffle. Pryor doesn't look at the TE's often...shoot he can't get off his first read most of the time.

Ballard's blocking is superb...he was considered a third tackle...and unfortunately that's how he was used. But, the man can block with the best of em...terrific technique...good lateral quickness. But, what few know is the guy can run...and he has VERY soft hands. Check out his Rose Bowl clip if you need an idea of his hands. I can't remember a ball thrown to him that he should have caught and didn't.

If scouts go off his production...he will get lost and some team will find terrific value late in the draft. But, let me say this guy is a second round talent who will find his way down into the 6th-7th rounds.

Oviedo
01-23-2010, 09:19 PM
Mine?

Torrell Troup, NT, 6'2", 315lbs, U of Central Florida.

steelerkeylargo
01-23-2010, 10:50 PM
Well I follow OU religiously and I have two guys. Chris Brown-RB- good hit the hole down hill runner. Racked up a 1000 yards in 2008 in a passing offense as the SECOND string RB. Also Brody Eldridge-TE-the best blocking TE in the country also played Center and Guard...the guy actually had two different jerseys with 2 diff. #'s and would switch during the game depending on the offensive package!!!

Shawn
01-24-2010, 04:45 AM
Mine?

You've started the Troup hype and I'm on board.

flippy
01-24-2010, 08:04 AM
Clifton Geathers - 6'7" - 280lb DE - South Carolina

He's a projected late round pick with a family history of playing in the NFL, and this makes me think he'll stick somewhere and eventually make it. This kid is big and athletic and he's got the size/frame right now to eventually turn into a monster dlineman.

Oviedo
01-24-2010, 09:52 AM
Mine?

I missed the Shrine game (and it was here in Orlando). Anyone see anyone who stood out?????

stlrz d
01-24-2010, 10:23 AM
Mine?

I missed the Shrine game (and it was here in Orlando). Anyone see anyone who stood out?????

Yeah. Apparently some QB from Northwestern named Kafka did. :P

Oviedo
01-24-2010, 11:43 AM
Mine?

I will also be looking for more information on Martin Tevaseu, DT, 6'2", 340lbs from UNLV. I saw something in the Shrine game practice notes that he was having good practices. Also interesting because the Steelers staff spent lots of time at UNLV looking at Summers so maybe they have connections that bring this kid to their attention.

Probably late round pick or UDFA.

Iron Shiek
01-26-2010, 01:21 PM
Just wondering who that player is that you seem to know a little more about than anyone else. Who do you believe very few people know about but will emerge as a very good pro talent?

Mine?

Well...I know tOSU better than any school I suppose. But, how can you find a dark horse on the Bucks? How about an underused TE?

I can't remember a time that such a talent got lost on a Buckeye squad. But, Jake Ballard is a very good TE talent. Jake Ballard is a 6 foot 6...250 pound TE who got lost in the shuffle. Pryor doesn't look at the TE's often...shoot he can't get off his first read most of the time.

Ballard's blocking is superb...he was considered a third tackle...and unfortunately that's how he was used. But, the man can block with the best of em...terrific technique...good lateral quickness. But, what few know is the guy can run...and he has VERY soft hands. Check out his Rose Bowl clip if you need an idea of his hands. I can't remember a ball thrown to him that he should have caught and didn't.

If scouts go off his production...he will get lost and some team will find terrific value late in the draft. But, let me say this guy is a second round talent who will find his way down into the 6th-7th rounds.

Shawn...how about that catch! I called that my play of the game right when it happened.

I think Ballard could have a solid career as like a TE2...Ben Hartsock-ish...if he lands in the right system.

Jom112
01-26-2010, 03:07 PM
I've got two:

Devin McCourty, CB, Rutgers - Great ST player and an excellent tackler. Might not be the greatest one on one coverage corner but the guy doesn't miss tackles. I think he would actually do well in the Steelers or Ravens system.

J.D. Walton, Center, Baylor - I feel like he's a guy that will do whatever he has to on the field to not lose his match-up. Which is what you want out of a center.

Clifton Geathers - 6'7" - 280lb DE - South Carolina

He's a projected late round pick with a family history of playing in the NFL, and this makes me think he'll stick somewhere and eventually make it. This kid is big and athletic and he's got the size/frame right now to eventually turn into a monster dlineman.

His brother is Robert Geathers our LDE. So don't expect him to get any sacks... :lol:

steelblood
01-26-2010, 03:40 PM
David Reed WR, Utah. He's 6'1 and 190 lbs. He runs well, but I wouldn't call him fast. He is tough and strong; he scraps and claws for every yard. He is elusive and slippery, always effective on screens. He is great at high pointing the ball and has crazy body-control to win jump ball downfield. He'll need to learn to run proper routes a bit better, but it shouldn't be a huge struggle. He was injured early in shrine bowl practices and was replaced (nothing serious). Right now, scouts don't know what to make of him, but I think he'll develop into an effective #2 starter and will be able to help a team immediately on special teams and multiple WR sets.

He is one of those guys that probably won't stand out in workouts, but his effort and natural strength will make him successful in the NFL. He is reliable and clutch. Scouts don't really know where to put him right now, but I think someone will take him in the fourth or fifth round.

hawaiiansteel
01-26-2010, 03:49 PM
From the Senior Bowl: (he has the size and frame to be a 3-4 end)

Defense:

Arkansas State defensive end #96 Alex Carrington (6'5" 285 lbs) impressed in the Pit, with bull and swim moves. Carrington has a rare size speed combo and teams have noticed.

RuthlessBurgher
01-26-2010, 04:20 PM
I was looking for OLB prospects that could be interesting late in the draft for potential depth behind Harrison and Woodley. One that stuck out was Adrian Tracy (partly because he is from William & Mary, Mike Tomlin's alma mater). At 6'4" and 243 lbs., he seems to have the right build to convert from college DE to a 3-4 OLB in the pros. In 4 seasons (47 games), he had 31 sacks (6, 3, 10, 12), 62.5 tackles for losses (15.5, 9.5, 15.5, 22) and 283 tackles (70, 63, 72, 78).

http://media.hamptonroads.com/cache/files/images/355821.jpg

hawaiiansteel
01-26-2010, 04:44 PM
He has a torn labrum in his shoulder right now which might allow his draft stock to fall,
but Owusu-Ansah might be able to replace Stefan Logan and save us a roster spot (has scored 9 TDS on returns in his career, including four on punts and three on kickoffs)

AKWASI OWUSU-ANSAH

Height: 6-1 | Weight: 195

NFLDraftScout.com
01/07/2010

His first name means ``Born on Sunday.'' In a few short weeks, Akwasi Owusu-Ansah will find out if NFL scouts think he was born to play football on Sundays. Owusu-Ansah, who was born in Ghana, on the west coast of Africa, is preparing for the flurry of workouts and judgments he'll have to go through in the next few weeks, under a much brighter spotlight than he is familiar with at IUP. It's too bad, though, that a torn labrum in his right shoulder will keep Owusu-Ansah from really showing off for the NFL scouts, who have flocked to IUP in recent months to watch the Crimson Hawks' All-America cornerback work out. Despite the injury, Owusu-Ansah has a body of work through four years with IUP that has garnered him all kinds of national attention. Various draft Web sites rank him from as high as a projected second-round pick to a fourth-round choice, which is quite an accomplishment for a player from what most scouts consider to be a small school. Owusu-Ansah has gained a lot of attention not just for his size and speed at cornerback, but for his special teams heroics. He scored nine touchdowns in his career on returns, including four on punts and three on kickoffs, making him an attractive prospect for NFL teams. ``Nobody can argue about his height, nobody can argue about his weight, nobody can argue about his speed,'' IUP head coach Lou Tepper said in November. ``Then he has that body of work in special teams that makes him intriguing. But he can be more than that.'' Owusu-Ansah has been invited to play in three all-star games: the Cactus Bowl, Texas vs. Nation Bowl and East-West Shrine Game. But the shoulder injury, which he suffered in IUP's final game of the season in November, will keep him from playing in them. But, he has reportedly been invited to the NFL Scouting Combine in February, which will give him a chance to show his skills to all 32 teams.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
01-27-2010, 02:02 PM
Dorin Dickerson- TE/FB PIT

A kid who just couldn't find a true position in college. Doesn't have the ideal size you look for in a TE and might be too upright for FB at next level. A good combine could help his draft status. This kid could flat out play football. Will become a weapon on 3rd down because he is a mismatch for LBs & Ss. I feel he fits right in to Arians style so I have him in my mock. If he shows he could be a good lead blocker between the tackles, he could become a 3 down player. Because that is an unknown, I feel he will be there day 3 and could be a steal. Dorin Dickerson = John L Williams & Larry Centers.

steelerkeylargo
01-27-2010, 02:29 PM

A kid who just couldn't find a true position in college. Doesn't have the ideal size you look for in a TE and might be too upright for FB at next level. A good combine could help his draft status. This kid could flat out play football. Will become a weapon on 3rd down because he is a mismatch for LBs & Ss. I feel he fits right in to Arians style so I have him in my mock. If he shows he could be a good lead blocker between the tackles, he could become a 3 down player. Because that is an unknown, I feel he will be there day 3 and could be a steal. Dorin Dickerson = John L Williams & Larry Centers.

He has been working with the WR's at the Senior Bowl.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
01-27-2010, 02:31 PM

He has been working with the WR's at the Senior Bowl.

I saw that. I also saw where he said he will be working out at the combine as a TE. He also thinks he could put up a sub 4.4 time. If that happens, early day 3 or even late day 2.