PDA

View Full Version : Who Will We Pick @ #1?

flippy
01-22-2010, 02:37 PM
I've started looking at other folks mock drafts to see who they think we'll most likely pick. Any of these guys sound right to you?

Bryan Bulaga, OT, Iowa
Taylor Mays, S , USC
Terrence Cody, NT, Alabama
Alterran Verner, CB, UCLA
Earl Thomas, S, Texas
CJ Spiller, RB, Clemson
Mike Iupati, OG, Idaho

The more I look at this, the less excited I am about the #18 pick. I think our best bet might be if Eric Berry or Rolondo McClain drop a little and we can somehow trade up to grab one of them.

If we can't get one of those 2, I think the big difference maker left at 18 is Gresham (and I know no one likes the idea of a TE).

Another guy should consider at 18 is Bruce Campbell - LT Maryland. I'm not sure if this kid could be the best tackle in the draft or a bust?

Then the other I'd look at closely @ 18 would be Carlos Dunlap, DE, Florida. Not sure if the Steelers would touch him because of his character, but this guy is another guy that seems like he should be going much higher than many are predicting at this time.

If not those guys, I may roll the dice on Spiller cause I think the kid could be special, but I really don't like taking a RB so high again.

Then my next thought would be to trade down into the 20s. There's a lot of guys available and I'm not sure any of them is the perfect pick at 18. I have a feeling the 26th player off the board could be just as good as #18.

Mel Blount's G
01-22-2010, 02:41 PM
If we do not get a super big ugly, for either side of the ball (NT if for defense), then I'd only be happy with a super studly, "splashing" playmaker of a shut down cornerback

Btw, I think it sucks we're bumped from 15 to 18 based on some formula on toughness of schedule

Lebsteel
01-22-2010, 02:42 PM
I would really like Earl Thomas or Taylor Mays with our first pick, BUT if Berry is still out there at pick 10-12, I'd say it MIGHT be worth a second round pick to move up. If it comes to pick 12 and all three are still there, I think I would wait and take my chances at 18. However, I doubt there is any way that Berry even gets close to pick 12.

steelerkeylargo
01-22-2010, 02:43 PM
I would say that the first pick will be an OL. Unless Haden falls or Patrick Robinson climbs up the ladder. The Rooneys will want to protect their 112 million dollar man and improve the run game. Having said that look for Bulaga, Iupati or ( my hope) Trent Williams if he falls a little.

grotonsteel
01-22-2010, 02:48 PM
I would say that the first pick will be an OL. Unless Haden falls or Patrick Robinson climbs up the ladder. The Rooneys will want to protect their 112 million dollar man and improve the run game. Having said that look for Bulaga, Iupati or ( my hope) Trent Williams if he falls a little.

If Steelers go by BPA then Steelers might go for an OT if they can get hold of top-3 OT in this draft.

Shawn
01-22-2010, 02:51 PM
I really think it will be Cody or Thomas. If it's Mays I will weep...the guy can't play safety at the next level. Mays=Anthony Smith in coverage. No matter how athletic the guy might be...he can't cover. And I don't believe Berry makes it out the top 5.

Mel Blount's G
01-22-2010, 02:52 PM

If Steelers go by BPA then Steelers might go for an OT if they can get hold of top-3 OT in this draft.
I'd be very very pleased w/ a top 3 OT, top 2 NT (though it seems there is a huge drop off from 1 - cody - to 2) or top 2 CB

RuthlessBurgher
01-22-2010, 02:52 PM
The one that sticks out like a sore thumb on your list, flip, is the Verner kid from UCLA. I don't think he's a first round prospect (more like a middle round guy).

SKL, I don't think you need to worry about if Trent Williams will be available. It is rare for guys that are seen pretty much only as a RT prospect to go in the top half of the first round. Typically, it is the guys with left tackle feet that go early. Remember, fellow Sooner Phil Loadholdt fell into round 2 last year (based on Loadholdt's early success, though, I think Williams will be a first rounder this year, but probably mid-to-late first).

steelblood
01-22-2010, 02:55 PM
Btw, I think it sucks we're bumped from 15 to 18 based on some formula on toughness of schedule

I think you are a little confused. The teams picking at 15-17 are all 8-8. They are picking before us because their record is worse. We actually are the first team to pick at 9-7 because we had the weakest schedule. The formula actually helped us.

Oviedo
01-22-2010, 02:56 PM
My thoughts:

Bryan Bulaga, OT, Iowa--strong possibility but where does he play? Colon graded out as thrid highest rated OT in the NFL.

Taylor Mays, S , USC--will have to see in folm that the rumors about his playmaking skills are true and he is not just a workout warrior. I still like him.

Terrence Cody, NT, Alabama--possibility but wouldn't touch him. As I said his fitness and work ethic are rumored to mkae Hampton look like Lance Armstrong.

Alterran Verner, CB, UCLA--way too high for him.

Earl Thomas, S, Texas--strong possibility, but don't expect to see him on the field until 2011 in LeBeau's scheme. Is that what you really want for #18. Another year of b1tching and complaining about a player being a bust because our defense is too complex like we heard about Timmons. Hint: It's the scheme not the young players!!!!!

CJ Spiller, RB, Clemson--I really like it if for no other reason to see the associated meltdown that will occur on this board. Seriously though, he is probably the one pick on the list that would give you immediate returns. All we ever read is love and envy for Joe Cribbs, Devin Hester, etc but when a player who can do the same for us is available fans don't want him because we drafted a RB two years ago. Logical right??????

Mike Iupati, OG, Idaho--Possible. Best rated player at his position which is what Colbert seems to target. Could challenge for playing time from Day 1 and improve the OL. However, #18 is high to draft for a Guard but I'd be OK for this.

I'd be OK with Gresham too as long as we see more throws to the TE which I think we will as Hines wears down. Again, another entertaining meltdown will occur.

Add Dan Williams, NT, Tenn to your list. Pick #18 is probably high for him but more and more NTs are going to be overdrafted because of demand with more 3-4 defense. Also add Brandon Spikes. His workouts will be critical to put concerns about speed aside or he could drop like Rey Malauga from USC did last year.

RuthlessBurgher
01-22-2010, 02:58 PM

I'd be very very pleased w/ a top 3 OT, top 2 NT (though it seems there is a huge drop off from 1 - cody - to 2) or top 2 CB

I think that the top 2 NT prospects (Terrence Cody and Dan Williams) are much closer than Haden and huge drop down to the #2 CB prospect, whoever that may be (Donovan Warren? Brandon Ghee? Patrick Robinson? Trevard Lindley? Javier Arenas? Perrish Cox?)

I think that there are 6 OT's that are first round worthy this year (Russell Okung, Bruce Campbell, Anthony Davis, Bryan Bulaga, Trent Williams, and Charles Brown) and one guard on the cusp (Mike Iupati) with the top center (Maurkice Pouncey) likely to go in round 2.

Oviedo
01-22-2010, 03:03 PM

Where do you think Bulaga or Williams will play? OT? Do you think they replace Starks? No. Do they replace Colon? Unlikely, especially since Colon graded out this past season as the thrid best OT behind Joe Thomas and Jake Long.

Yesterday's Q&A with Jim Wexell

SteelerCooz: I thought Willie Colon played very well this past season. What level of tender should the Steelers offer him? More specifically, would a first-round pick be adequate compensation for one of the Steelers’ only consistent lineman?

I could live with a first-round pick as compensation for Colon. That’s the tender he received last year and I see the same tender this year. And I agree that Colon had an excellent season. One website (ProFootballFocus.com) assigns a numerical value to every play of every NFL player and they ranked Colon as the third best tackle in the league this past season behind Joe Thomas and Jake Long.

steelerkeylargo
01-22-2010, 03:05 PM
The one that sticks out like a sore thumb on your list, flip, is the Verner kid from UCLA. I don't think he's a first round prospect (more like a middle round guy).

SKL, I don't think you need to worry about if Trent Williams will be available. It is rare for guys that are seen pretty much only as a RT prospect to go in the top half of the first round. Typically, it is the guys with left tackle feet that go early. Remember, fellow Sooner Phil Loadholdt fell into round 2 last year (based on Loadholdt's early success, though, I think Williams will be a first rounder this year, but probably mid-to-late first).

I can see that side of things, and I think alot of teams watched as Loadholt started every game at RT for the Vikes this year as a rookie and played very well. He will slide over to LT when McKinnie is done. Williams natural fit is at right tackle but he could probably be an All-Pro guard and even played center in OU's bowl game this year. I think he could be a great asset to a team like ours.

flippy
01-22-2010, 03:05 PM

That list was a compilation of who I saw others picking for us in their mocks at 18:
http://nfldraftdog.com/Mock-Drafts/2010 ... draft.html (http://nfldraftdog.com/Mock-Drafts/2010-staff-mocks/Mikes-2010-nfl-mock-draft.html)

I had no idea who he even was.

My Preferences Would Be Do Something Different than the Mocks are suggesting:

1. Trade up for Berry (I read you mentioning this one and agree) or McClain
2. Gresham
3. Take a closer look at Campbell or Dunlap
4. Spiller (maybe)
5. Trade Down

Mel Blount's G
01-22-2010, 03:08 PM

I think you are a little confused. The teams picking at 15-17 are all 8-8. They are picking before us because their record is worse. We actually are the first team to pick at 9-7 because we had the weakest schedule. The formula actually helped us.
Doh!

Thanks for clarifying. I apparently was confused. I thought for some reason we were the last of several 9-7 teams to pick

flippy
01-22-2010, 03:10 PM
My thoughts:

Bryan Bulaga, OT, Iowa--strong possibility but where does he play? Colon graded out as thrid highest rated OT in the NFL.

Taylor Mays, S , USC--will have to see in folm that the rumors about his playmaking skills are true and he is not just a workout warrior. I still like him.

Terrence Cody, NT, Alabama--possibility but wouldn't touch him. As I said his fitness and work ethic are rumored to mkae Hampton look like Lance Armstrong.

Earl Thomas, S, Texas--strong possibility, but don't expect to see him on the field until 2011 in LeBeau's scheme. Is that what you really want for #18. Another year of b1tching and complaining about a player being a bust because our defense is too complex like we heard about Timmons. Hint: It's the scheme not the young players!!!!!

CJ Spiller, RB, Clemson--I really like it if for no other reason to see the associated meltdown that will occur on this board. Seriously though, he is probably the one pick on the list that would give you immediate returns. All we ever read is love and envy for Joe Cribbs, Devin Hester, etc but when a player who can do the same for us is available fans don't want him because we drafted a RB two years ago. Logical right??????

Mike Iupati, OG, Idaho--Possible. Best rated player at his position which is what Colbert seems to target. Could challenge for playing time from Day 1 and improve the OL. However, #18 is high to draft for a Guard but I'd be OK for this.

I'd be OK with Gresham too as long as we see more throws to the TE which I think we will as Hines wears down. Again, another entertaining meltdown will occur.

Add Dan Williams, NT, Tenn to your list. Pick #18 is probably high for him but more and more NTs are going to be overdrafted because of demand with more 3-4 defense. Also add Brandon Spikes. His workouts will be critical to put concerns about speed aside or he could drop like Rey Malauga from USC did last year.

I like some of these guys but really feel like 18 is too high for many.

RuthlessBurgher
01-22-2010, 03:12 PM
[quote="Mel Blount's G":2tdnxm1d]

Doh!

Thanks for clarifying. I apparently was confused. I thought for some reason we were the last of several 9-7 teams to pick[/quote:2tdnxm1d]

We are the first of the three 9-7 teams to pick in the first round with the 18th pick, but then in round 2, we are the last of the three 9-7 teams to pick (we have the 20th pick in round 2). In the third round, we are in the middle of the three 9-7 teams to pick (but it will be the 18th pick in the third instead of the 19th because Washington forfeited their 3rd round pick in the supplemental draft last season).

Oviedo
01-22-2010, 03:12 PM
My thoughts:

I like some of these guys but really feel like 18 is too high for many.

Except for Spiller I agree because the defensive players won't see the field in 2010.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
01-22-2010, 03:13 PM
It look like the Steelers will be getting 3 compensatory picks this year....(2) 5ths & a 7th. I'm all for trading up with that many picks. There is already an odd man out on the OL with Stapleton coming back. I really don't see them taking an OL early with the needs on D. After the Senior Bowl and the combine Williams will climb the board.

Mel Blount's G
01-22-2010, 03:14 PM
but don't expect to see him on the field until 2011 in LeBeau's scheme.
Come to think of it, when was there EVER a draft pick to play in LeBeau's scheme in his first year? I can almost believe they sit out on principle alone from what I've seen :? :stirpot

cruzer8
01-22-2010, 03:18 PM
Here is what Kiper says:

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth

Pittsburgh Steelers

Pick: No. 18

Kiper's selection: Bryan Bulaga, OT, Iowa

Analysis: If no worthy cornerbacks are available, the Steelers could take a hard look at their offensive line. Pittsburgh quarterback Ben Roethlisberger takes a ton of sacks, and some (not all) of the blame can be put on the players up front. The Steelers have passed up taking offensive lineman high in the draft recently. Kiper believes they are due in 2010.

steelerkeylargo
01-22-2010, 03:18 PM
Verner is a zone corner who is probably more suited to play safety!

Oviedo
01-22-2010, 03:21 PM

He's not a Round 1 pick.

steelerkeylargo
01-22-2010, 03:23 PM

He's not a Round 1 pick.

No he is not....3rd round at best. We already have a guy like him in Keenan Lewis!

Shawn
01-22-2010, 03:23 PM
Here is what Kiper says:

Pittsburgh Steelers

Analysis: If no worthy cornerbacks are available, the Steelers could take a hard look at their offensive line. Pittsburgh quarterback Ben Roethlisberger takes a ton of sacks, and some (not all) of the blame can be put on the players up front. The Steelers have passed up taking offensive lineman high in the draft recently. Kiper believes they are due in 2010.

Now, I am relieved. If Kiper said it...that makes certain it won't happen. Whew.

steelerkeylargo
01-22-2010, 03:24 PM
but don't expect to see him on the field until 2011 in LeBeau's scheme.
Come to think of it, when was there EVER a draft pick to play in LeBeau's scheme in his first year? I can almost believe they sit out on principle alone from what I've seen :? :stirpot

Casey Hampton was the last first year starter.

Mel Blount's G
01-22-2010, 03:24 PM
Who are the top 2-3 best LEFT tackles in the draft? Is Bulaga R or L? It would sure be nice to get hardworking, motivated yet uber-talented LT to be ben's protector for years to come

RuthlessBurgher
01-22-2010, 03:39 PM
Who are the top 2-3 best LEFT tackles in the draft? Is Bulaga R or L? It would sure be nice to get hardworking, motivated yet uber-talented LT to be ben's protector for years to come

I think the top 3 LT prospects are Oklahoma State's Russell Okung, Maryland's Bruce Campbell, and Rutgers' Anthony Davis. They may very well all be off the board in the top half of the first round before we pick.

Iowa's Bryan Bulaga should be able play both right or left tackle. I think if we take him (he is projected somewhere in the mid-first where we are drafting), he could start out at RT, and Colon could move inside to RG (something that Zeirlein was unwilling to consider). I think Kemo and Colon would be a strong guard pair, and Starks and Bulaga would be a strong tackle pair.

I don't think USC's Charles Brown big enough to be a RT (at less than 300 lbs, he may only work for certain teams like Denver or Houston...not teams like Philly or Dallas). I don't think Oklahoma's Trent Williams is agile enough to be a LT (likely a RT prospect on this level like former Sooner teammate and current Viking Phil Loadholdt).

steelblood
01-22-2010, 03:47 PM

That list was a compilation of who I saw others picking for us in their mocks at 18:
http://nfldraftdog.com/Mock-Drafts/2010 ... draft.html (http://nfldraftdog.com/Mock-Drafts/2010-staff-mocks/Mikes-2010-nfl-mock-draft.html)

I had no idea who he even was.

My Preferences Would Be Do Something Different than the Mocks are suggesting:

1. Trade up for Berry (I read you mentioning this one and agree) or McClain
2. Gresham
3. Take a closer look at Campbell or Dunlap
4. Spiller (maybe)
5. Trade Down

I don't see any way this organization will take Dunlap. He is too lazy, disinterested, and foolish.

Iron Shiek
01-22-2010, 03:48 PM
My thoughts:

I love the meltdown factor that you incorporate. Its amusing. I'd like to see some sort of scale or rankings of some kind for this. It sounds like 1 = Spiller, 2 = Gresham.

The only major meltdown I remember is Spaeth and Sepulveda getting drafted. I'm sure there were others though. Are you talking that level of board chaos?

papillon
01-22-2010, 03:51 PM
Here is what Kiper says:

Pittsburgh Steelers

Now, I am relieved. If Kiper said it...that makes certain it won't happen. Whew.

Kiper's analysis almost guarantees defense, thankfully. :Cheers

Pappy

Iron Shiek
01-22-2010, 03:53 PM
Kiper channeling his "inner-Chadman" with his statement...

Kiper believes they are due in 2010.

Oviedo
01-22-2010, 03:56 PM

I think the top 3 LT prospects are Oklahoma State's Russell Okung, Maryland's Bruce Campbell, and Rutgers' Anthony Davis. They may very well all be off the board in the top half of the first round before we pick.

Iowa's Bryan Bulaga should be able play both right or left tackle. I think if we take him (he is projected somewhere in the mid-first where we are drafting), he could start out at RT, and Colon could move inside to RG (something that Zeirlein was unwilling to consider). I think Kemo and Colon would be a strong guard pair, and Starks and Bulaga would be a strong tackle pair.

I don't think USC's Charles Brown big enough to be a RT (at less than 300 lbs, he may only work for certain teams like Denver or Houston...not teams like Philly or Dallas). I don't think Oklahoma's Trent Williams is agile enough to be a LT (likely a RT prospect on this level like former Sooner teammate and current Viking Phil Loadholdt).

Let's me see if I understand this?

1. We take an experienced RT who just graded out as the thrid best OT in the NFL and move him to Guard because we want an excuse to draft an unproven (NFL performance that matters) college OT
2. We want to make this move when he is in a RFA year and move him to a position that pays less than the position he is playing now. Not sure that does much to retain him beyond when we can tag him.

As much as we like to pound the "OL needs help" drum every draft it just doesn't seem to pass the sniff test drafting an OT for #18 unless you are sure that Colon is leaving. I would buy Iupati at Guard but it is just high for a Guard. Better case can be made for grabbing Iupati to replace Essex than for Bulaga or Williams to replace Colon.

Shawn
01-22-2010, 04:03 PM
I'm almost 100% sure we won't draft a OT in the first round. Starks and Colon are solid. I don't see the point. Our struggles are in the interior. We do need a Center...and an extra guard wouldn't hurt...but neither will be picked in the first.

Jom112
01-22-2010, 04:10 PM
I'm almost 100% sure we won't draft a OT in the first round. Starks and Colon are solid. I don't see the point. Our struggles are in the interior. We do need a Center...and an extra guard wouldn't hurt...but neither will be picked in the first.

I think if Iuputi is still on the board when you guys pick, it would be tough for the Steelers to pass on him. A Huge run blocking guard like him would fit nicely into Rooney's plans of getting back to a more consistent running game.

I see your argument about not drafting an OT. A center and/or guard combined with a true FB should probably be the focus...

Shawn
01-22-2010, 04:22 PM

I think if Iuputi is still on the board when you guys pick, it would be tough for the Steelers to pass on him. A Huge run blocking guard like him would fit nicely into Rooney's plans of getting back to a more consistent running game.

I see your argument about not drafting an OT. A center and/or guard combined with a true FB should probably be the focus...

I can't see us using #18 on a Guard. Not to mention I don't believe Iuputi to be a good value at 18 no matter how you look at it.

Mel Blount's G
01-22-2010, 04:23 PM
I guess I don't see starks and colon like others. I don't want an "okay" tackle when we have an special QB who can win us a game on any given Sunday. I want an Orlando Pace, a Jonathon Ogden, a Tony Boselli or an Anthony Munoz.

I want a Jon m'f'ing KOLB!!!!
http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2009/0114/otl_g_jkolb1_300.jpg

RuthlessBurgher
01-22-2010, 04:24 PM

Let's me see if I understand this?

1. We take an experienced RT who just graded out as the thrid best OT in the NFL and move him to Guard because we want an excuse to draft an unproven (NFL performance that matters) college OT
2. We want to make this move when he is in a RFA year and move him to a position that pays less than the position he is playing now. Not sure that does much to retain him beyond when we can tag him.

As much as we like to pound the "OL needs help" drum every draft it just seem to pass the sniff test drafting an OT for #18 unless you are sure that Colon is leaving. I would buy Iupati at Guard but it is just high for a Guard. Better case can be made for grabbing Iupati to replace Essex than for Bulaga or Williams to replace Colon.

What if the "third best tackle in the league" thinks he is worth that kind of coin and bolts after this season (sure, we can keep him with an RFA tender this year, but what about after that? If we draft a tackle now, the rookie would have a year of pro experience under his belt if Colon moves on after this season). And wouldn't it be nice to have another quality tackle option available for this coming season? Right now, what happens if Starks or Colon goes down? Do you trust Tony Hills to step in? Will you move Essex from guard back to tackle? Will you move Foster from guard back to tackle?

By the way, just the mere idea that Willie Colon is a better tackle than Ryan Clady (16th?) or Michael Roos (37th???) is complete and utter hogwash. Thanks for nothing, ProFootballFocus.com. I've watched Willie Colon play. He's an average tackle that does not have the feet to contend with speed rushers on the outside. I think he has the potential be a Pro Bowl guard, though, certainly a much better mauler on the interior than Darnell Stapleton or Trai Essex. I'd like to know what the new o-line coach sees when he is breaking down tape from last season, and when he starts working out these guys in minicamps and OTA's.

Mel Blount's G
01-22-2010, 04:27 PM
By the way, just the mere idea that Willie Colon is a better tackle than Ryan Clady (16th?) or Michael Roos (37th???) is complete and utter hogwash. Thanks for nothing, ProFootballFocus.com. I've watched Willie Colon play. He's an average tackle that does not have the feet to contend with speed rushers on the outside. I think he has the potential be a Pro Bowl guard, though, certainly a much better mauler on the interior than Darnell Stapleton or Trai Essex. I'd like to know what the new o-line coach sees when he is breaking down tape from last season, and when he starts working out these guys in minicamps and OTA's.

:Clap

Glad I'm not the only one that was puzzled about this "3rd best tackle in the league" thing

Jom112
01-22-2010, 04:40 PM

I can't see us using #18 on a Guard. Not to mention I don't believe Iuputi to be a good value at 18 no matter how you look at it.

He is versatile, which you guys like as well. He can probably play G or RT. I think that's enough value for a #18 pick...

flippy
01-22-2010, 04:56 PM

Glad I'm not the only one that was puzzled about this "3rd best tackle in the league" thing

I'm on the move him to guard bandwagon that someone started. I think he's so slow, Casey Hampton could get by him with a speed rush.

I think if you move him inside, you solidify the interior of the line.

And Ben can hold the ball longer and still take about 50 sacks a season...

NJ-STEELER
01-22-2010, 04:58 PM

agreed,

they must not take into account all his pre snap penalties. hell, i never heard that one of his helmet not in the middle of his center's mid section before willie was called for it...more then once IIRC.

then looking at the browns game and having his man go right around him to sack ben twice with only a 3 man rush....who does that analysis....willie's mother

NJ-STEELER
01-22-2010, 04:59 PM
i think it was kiper who said Iupati may have the feet to play RT/Lt in the bigs.

even all 5 positions on the line

Oviedo
01-22-2010, 05:01 PM

I'm on the move him to guard bandwagon that someone started. I think he's so slow, Casey Hampton could get by him with a speed rush.

Most of the sacks Ben takes (that aren't his fault) are from up the middle rushes and then from Starks' side (expected because that is usually the best rusher). I think Colon gives up the fewest.

I love how a source (won't say how valid) gives a positive rating and it is almost immediately discounted because it doesn't agree with the "experts" who watch games from their "Lazy Boys"

Remember that Kugler turned Jason Peters into an All Pro. If he does the same with Colon and Starks we have two solid tackles for the next 5-6 years.

flippy
01-22-2010, 05:07 PM

Most of the sacks Ben takes (that aren't his fault) are from up the middle rushes and then from Starks' side (expected because that is usually the best rusher). I think Colon gives up the fewest.

I love how a source (won't say how valid) gives a positive rating and it is almost immediately discounted because it doesn't agree with the "experts" who watch games from their "Lazy Boys"

Remember that Kugler turned Jason Peters into an All Pro. If he does the same with Colon and Starks we have two solid tackles for the next 5-6 years.

I don't know a casual fan who would sit back and watch Colon and think he's a great tackle.

There are lots of tackles in the NFL that don't allow rushers to easily speed by them and don't take lots of penalties. If the source had ranked Colon 10-15 I wouldn't think twice about that ranking, but 3? No way. And why isn't he in the ProBowl if he's #3? That tells me most don't buy it.

Shawn
01-22-2010, 05:12 PM

He is versatile, which you guys like as well. He can probably play G or RT. I think that's enough value for a #18 pick...

I have heard that argument before about value with players. But, in the first round I want a guy who is superb at one position...rather than good at multiple. Iuputi is a solid guard and should make a good pro...no denying it. But, drafting a Guard at 18? Eh...not typically Steeler style.

flippy
01-22-2010, 05:15 PM

I have heard that argument before about value with players. But, in the first round I want a guy who is superb at one position...rather than good at multiple. Iuputi is a solid guard and should make a good pro...no denying it. But, drafting a Guard at 18? Eh...not typically Steeler style.

It almost sounds like a baseball team drafting a utility infielder with their #1 pick.

NJ-STEELER
01-22-2010, 05:18 PM
Eh...not typically Steeler style.

fanaca was close at (what was it) 22?

john reinstra #7

Shawn
01-22-2010, 05:18 PM
Flippy...Exactly.

RuthlessBurgher
01-22-2010, 05:29 PM

I truly hope that Koogs can turn Colon and Starks into All Pros. That would be awesome. I look forward to vast improvement over the Zeirlein era.

But Colon is nowhere close to that now. I'm not saying he sucks. I'm just saying he's not elite like this site suggests. He's an average NFL tackle. The guys who do analysis for ProFootballFocus.com from their La-Z-Boys obviously have a major flaw in their metrics if they think Colon is #3 right now while Clady is #16 and Roos is #37. Would the Broncos trade us Clady for Colon straight up? Would the Titans trade us Roos for Colon straight up? No way in hell.

Shawn
01-22-2010, 05:45 PM
I personally do not believe Colon is a top 3 tackle...but he is solid. I certainly don't want to use a premium draft pick on a OT.

steelerkeylargo
01-22-2010, 05:48 PM
[quote=RuthlessBurgher]By the way, just the mere idea that Willie Colon is a better tackle than Ryan Clady (16th?) or Michael Roos (37th???) is complete and utter hogwash. Thanks for nothing, ProFootballFocus.com. I've watched Willie Colon play. He's an average tackle that does not have the feet to contend with speed rushers on the outside. I think he has the potential be a Pro Bowl guard, though, certainly a much better mauler on the interior than Darnell Stapleton or Trai Essex. I'd like to know what the new o-line coach sees when he is breaking down tape from last season, and when he starts working out these guys in minicamps and OTA's.

agreed,

they must not take into account all his pre snap penalties. hell, i never heard that one of his helmet not in the middle of his center's mid section before willie was called for it...more then once IIRC.

then looking at the browns game and having his man go right around him to sack ben twice with only a 3 man rush....who does that analysis....willie's mother[/quote:bjksm55o]

Seriously!!! Did anybody see this clown in the 2nd half of the season....SWINGING GATE!!!
I dont know waht crackhead website that is but I would put Colon in the 12-15 range.

NJ-STEELER
01-22-2010, 05:51 PM
im going to assume they factor in the running game

and i think he does fiarly well in that area, but still...3rd overall in the league??

c'mon

3rd among RT's might be a bit more believable

Shawn
01-22-2010, 06:34 PM

To be perfectly honest...if I were going to reach for an OLman...I would grab Pouncey. He is a solid first round talent at a second round position.

papillon
01-22-2010, 06:49 PM
I guess I don't see starks and colon like others. I don't want an "okay" tackle when we have an special QB who can win us a game on any given Sunday. I want an Orlando Pace, a Jonathon Ogden, a Tony Boselli or an Anthony Munoz.

The Steelers could have Anthony Munoz, John Hannah, Dermontti Dawson, Gene Upshaw and Jackie Slater and Ben Roethlisberger would still be sacked 20 plus times a year. Ben has to be the most difficult quarterback to ever play the game for which to pass protect. The Steelers need linemen that are above average pass protectors and great run blockers and the offense will be crazy good next year.

Trying to protect Ben and his style of play is d@mn near impossible. Get back to rushing the football with authority and let Ben do his thing.

Pappy

Chadman
01-22-2010, 10:03 PM
Chadman seriously doubts that OT will be a high pick- Starks just got paid, and as has been pointed out, Colon graded out well AGAIN. He'll get paid too. OG is unlikely to be a high pick as Kemo is on decent money, and Urbik was drafted last year with a look to playing RG. OC is a possibility after missing the top 3 OC's last year, but really, there isn't an OC worthy of the 1st round.

The NT position relies solely on Casey Hampton. If Hampton is re-signed, NT will be a mid-round pick. If Hampton isn't signed, NT is your 1st round pick. Cody, despite people's fear with his conditioning, is a rare athlete- and if available at #18, is a VERY LIKELY pick for the Steelers. However, NT's are getting more popular as teams switch to the 3-4. This puts the 2nd NT on the table- Dan Williams, who, barring an Oakland style draft brain explosion, will last until #18, and could also be a viable option.

FS is a need- and if Clark leaves & Hampton stays, becomes the #1 need. Berry is gone by #10, let alone #18. So it'll be between Earl Thomas & Taylor Mays. Thomas is a ball hawk, and a promising player. Definately a big chance. but Chadman is actually leaning more towards Mays now to play FS. He could probably start on Day 1 because of the level of competition he is used to, and his hard hitting style will be attractive to the Steelers as they try to re-establish that 'dominant' feel to the AFC NORTH. But simply, Mays is limited in his coverage, as has been mentioned, but his pure physicality, his brutalness, make him an attractive option at #18. With Mays, Polamalu & Timmons- the Steelers could have the most dynamic defense in the NFL.

CB- Patrick Robinson is the only real candidate at #18, but with 2 CB picks last year, Chadman doubts we see a high pick brought in ahead of them. That being said, Robinson looks a good player & wouldn't be a bad pick at all. Chadman, however, prefers Myron Lewis to fit the physical nature of Pittsburgh Defense - and he can be had around the 3rd round.

RB CJ Spiller has the most amount of 'impact ability' of all 1st rounders, but if he runs sub 4.35 at the combine, he'll be gone by #18. If you want a sleeper RB- look for LeMarkus Coker out of Hampton- formerly of Tenn before a few legal issues (read- drugs) got him kicked out. But he has reportedly turned his life around...and could run a sub 4.3...a 5th round pick three could be a wise investment.

So, to recap- Chadman thinks it'll be between Terrence Cody, Dan Williams, Earl Thomas, Taylor Mays, Patrick Robinson & POSSIBLY CJ Spiller.

steelblood
01-22-2010, 10:40 PM

Wasn't Kolb a guard?

Shawn
01-22-2010, 11:02 PM

Yeah and I want Jim Brown at RB and Jerry Rice at WR. :mrgreen:

Lebsteel
01-22-2010, 11:52 PM
Chadman seriously doubts that OT will be a high pick- Starks just got paid, and as has been pointed out, Colon graded out well AGAIN. He'll get paid too. OG is unlikely to be a high pick as Kemo is on decent money, and Urbik was drafted last year with a look to playing RG. OC is a possibility after missing the top 3 OC's last year, but really, there isn't an OC worthy of the 1st round.

The NT position relies solely on Casey Hampton. If Hampton is re-signed, NT will be a mid-round pick. If Hampton isn't signed, NT is your 1st round pick. Cody, despite people's fear with his conditioning, is a rare athlete- and if available at #18, is a VERY LIKELY pick for the Steelers. However, NT's are getting more popular as teams switch to the 3-4. This puts the 2nd NT on the table- Dan Williams, who, barring an Oakland style draft brain explosion, will last until #18, and could also be a viable option.

FS is a need- and if Clark leaves & Hampton stays, becomes the #1 need. Berry is gone by #10, let alone #18. So it'll be between Earl Thomas & Taylor Mays. Thomas is a ball hawk, and a promising player. Definately a big chance. but Chadman is actually leaning more towards Mays now to play FS. He could probably start on Day 1 because of the level of competition he is used to, and his hard hitting style will be attractive to the Steelers as they try to re-establish that 'dominant' feel to the AFC NORTH. But simply, Mays is limited in his coverage, as has been mentioned, but his pure physicality, his brutalness, make him an attractive option at #18. With Mays, Polamalu & Timmons- the Steelers could have the most dynamic defense in the NFL.

CB- Patrick Robinson is the only real candidate at #18, but with 2 CB picks last year, Chadman doubts we see a high pick brought in ahead of them. That being said, Robinson looks a good player & wouldn't be a bad pick at all. Chadman, however, prefers Myron Lewis to fit the physical nature of Pittsburgh Defense - and he can be had around the 3rd round.

RB CJ Spiller has the most amount of 'impact ability' of all 1st rounders, but if he runs sub 4.35 at the combine, he'll be gone by #18. If you want a sleeper RB- look for LeMarkus Coker out of Hampton- formerly of Tenn before a few legal issues (read- drugs) got him kicked out. But he has reportedly turned his life around...and could run a sub 4.3...a 5th round pick three could be a wise investment.

So, to recap- Chadman thinks it'll be between Terrence Cody, Dan Williams, Earl Thomas, Taylor Mays, Patrick Robinson & POSSIBLY CJ Spiller.

Chadman, you are the only one in this thread that mentioned Urbik. He was our 2nd pick last year, right? I'm not sure why he didn't play this year, but he was one of the top 2 or 3 guards in the draft last year. I really hope he has a future at RG with the Steelers. If that is true and with Kemo just getting paid, I don't think there is any way that we look at a guard any where near our first 4 or 5 picks. I don't like Cody, he never impressed me when I watched the last few 'Bama games. I'd be OK with Williams, he did impress me, Thomas or Mays.

Shawn
01-23-2010, 12:10 AM
I really liked Urbik...but word is he has struggled. I hope he doesn't fall in a long line of OL flops for us.

Steel Life
01-23-2010, 12:51 AM
Guys, guys...its not going to be a DT or an OT, its gonna be Sean Weatherspoon, LB, Missouri - he's got Patrick Willis ability & he can step in when Farrior goes down - the evolution of the D continues.

hawaiiansteel
01-23-2010, 12:57 AM
I really liked Urbik...but word is he has struggled. I hope he doesn't fall in a long line of OL flops for us.

did you have to remind me of Jamain Stephens, I have been in therapy for many years now trying to forget about our #1 pick in 1996 out of North Carolina AT&T. Hey, it's only been 14 years, I'm sure I'll get over it eventually...

Shawn
01-23-2010, 02:03 AM
Guys, guys...its not going to be a DT or an OT, its gonna be Sean Weatherspoon, LB, Missouri - he's got Patrick Willis ability & he can step in when Farrior goes down - the evolution of the D continues.

Are you thinking he is going to make the transition from OLB to ILB?

Steel Life
01-23-2010, 08:20 AM

Are you thinking he is going to make the transition from OLB to ILB?
I think he is able to do it, because I'm not convinced he's OLB material the way our defense is right now. I see our defense changing with some of the players brought in & going to more of an attacking or hybrid style. I think that the middle blitz that has served Farrior & Timmons so well, would be lethal with Weatherspoon. Well that's a whole other thread, so I'll give the skinny on Weatherspoon...

Height: 6010
Weight: 245
40 T: 4.56
Projection: 1st Round

Weatherspoon has incredible instincts to go along with amazing closing speed, and that is what makes a playmaker. In 2008 he was all that and more, compiling some impressive stats: 155 total tackles, 18.5 for loss, three interceptions (two returned for touchdowns), five sacks, and seven pass breakups. His 11.07 tackles per game led the Big 12 conference. In 2007 he racked up 130 total tackles, 9.5 for loss, three sacks, and eight pass breakups. With these stats and the fact that he was a Butkus Award Finalist last season, the sky’s the limit for him in 2009. Weatherspoon is a good all-around linebacker and a very productive player in the Big 12. His ability to play man to man as well as drop into zone coverage should translate well at the next level. He isn’t as good of a pass rusher as Sergio Kindle of Texas, but he can get to the quarterback and is an effective blitzer. He had 18.5 tackles for loss last season as well as five sacks.

Quote of Note: “He’s 6-1, 250, he runs 4.5 (in the 40-yard dash),” Pinkel told the St. Louis Post-Dispatch on his way to rattling off all things good about Weatherspoon. “He can jump, he’s quick, he can accelerate, he’s a great person, he’s a good student, he’s a great team player, he’s got a great attitude, he’s the whole package. He’s the whole deal.” - Missouri Head Coach Gary Pinkel

RuthlessBurgher
01-23-2010, 11:28 AM
Weatherspoon sounds like Timmons.

RuthlessBurgher
01-23-2010, 11:34 AM

From your list, I'd take Thomas or one of the NT's. I think drafting a DB that can't cover is like drafting a WR that can't catch. Taylor Mays looks like the defensive equivalent of Darrius Heyward-Bey to me...yes, he has amazing measurables and athleticism, but of he can't do the primary job that you are paying him to do, then what is the point? Don't like Patrick Robinson either. I don't think that there is another CB with a first round grade after Haden (and Robinson wouldn't even be my preferred CB if we took one in the second round). And even though Spiller is explosive, we are not in need of offensive skill players like we are in need of linemen and players on all 3 levels of the defense. I think we should take the best player available at a position of need. We have many positions of need, but Spiller's position isn't one of them. We likely won't draft a RB until the middle or late rounds.

Chadman
01-23-2010, 12:27 PM

From your list, I'd take Thomas or one of the NT's. I think drafting a DB that can't cover is like drafting a WR that can't catch. Taylor Mays looks like the defensive equivalent of Darrius Heyward-Bey to me...yes, he has amazing measurables and athleticism, but of he can't do the primary job that you are paying him to do, then what is the point? Don't like Patrick Robinson either. I don't think that there is another CB with a first round grade after Haden (and Robinson wouldn't even be my preferred CB if we took one in the second round). And even though Spiller is explosive, we are not in need of offensive skill players like we are in need of linemen and players on all 3 levels of the defense. I think we should take the best player available at a position of need. We have many positions of need, but Spiller's position isn't one of them. We likely won't draft a RB until the middle or late rounds.

Well, you're wrong, aren't you?

:tt1

Lebsteel
01-23-2010, 12:27 PM
I think Cody and Mays are similar in that they both are athletic marvels, but Cody is very limited because he doesn't seem to be able to rush the QB and will probably only be a two down NT, while Mays has real problems covering WRs. I think Mays problem is that he is simply to big to play FS. He is about the size of Timmons, so maybe he would transition to LB in the NFL, but not in a Steeler uniform, hopefully.

I'd like Thomas or maybe Williams. I'd also consider Jared Odrick, DT from Penn State. 18 might be a little high for him, but he is projected to be a very good 3-4 DE.

Chadman
01-23-2010, 12:36 PM
For Chadman, Mays is a bigger, faster, younger Ryan Clark- quite fearsome as a punishing tackler, but limited in his coverage ability. THAT SAID- if Mays is able to keep everything in front of him, he's fine. It's his backpeddle & change of direction that are troublesome. As Leb said, he's almost too big for FS. So, to combat that, you get him to shed pounds & play closer to 205lbs instead of near 230lbs. That should, in itself, make him more agile. His closing speed is incredible. On his own, Chadman wouldn't touch him. But combined with Troy, there is no way teams are going to feel comfortable going over the middle.

It sounds like, after Chadman typed that, Mays wouldn't be a good pick. But, you cannot discount a pretty damn good college career in a good team, against the best competition. He's big, fast, a team leader, experienced, athletic, explosive. And to top it off, he adds that 'fear factor' that the Steelers love to bring. Roaming in behind Timmons also, he might fill in those 'gaps' that Timmons is rumoured to leave due to his 'poor tackling'. He might be attractive to Tomlin because if you look over his college career, Mays is a 'splash player'.

Lebsteel
01-23-2010, 01:07 PM
For Chadman, Mays is a bigger, faster, younger Ryan Clark- quite fearsome as a punishing tackler, but limited in his coverage ability. THAT SAID- if Mays is able to keep everything in front of him, he's fine. It's his backpeddle & change of direction that are troublesome. As Leb said, he's almost too big for FS. So, to combat that, you get him to shed pounds & play closer to 205lbs instead of near 230lbs. That should, in itself, make him more agile. His closing speed is incredible. On his own, Chadman wouldn't touch him. But combined with Troy, there is no way teams are going to feel comfortable going over the middle.

It sounds like, after Chadman typed that, Mays wouldn't be a good pick. But, you cannot discount a pretty damn good college career in a good team, against the best competition. He's big, fast, a team leader, experienced, athletic, explosive. And to top it off, he adds that 'fear factor' that the Steelers love to bring. Roaming in behind Timmons also, he might fill in those 'gaps' that Timmons is rumoured to leave due to his 'poor tackling'. He might be attractive to Tomlin because if you look over his college career, Mays is a 'splash player'.

Yea, I like all those things about Mays. He definitely brings the fear factor that Thomas does not. Coupled with Troy, they would be an awesome safety tandem. I can imagine receivers and TEs going over the middle would have shorter arms with the thought of Mays or Troy crushing them. But, I'd like our first pick to be someone that doesn't come with any "pre-conditions" or "he'll be better if he loses some weight" thoughts. Plus I'd like our FS to be able to get interceptions and be a game changer, which might be more important than the "fear factor." I'd like our first three picks to be on defense, maybe something like:

1) Earl Thomas--FS
2) Jared Odrick--DT (3-4 DE) (trade a 4th and extra later round picks to move up)
3) Sean Lee--ILB or Micah Johnson--ILB

calmkiller
01-23-2010, 02:14 PM
Personally I believe, as stated above, it all comes down to who we resign in the off season. If Casey comes back we are good at NT, if Clark comes back we are okay at Safety. Personally though if Earl Thomas drops to say 12 I think we have to move up to get him.

NJ-STEELER
01-23-2010, 02:24 PM
i've read that thomas is a pretty fierc hitter as well.

if they draft mays, would they think about flipping him and troy.

mays at SS, troy at FS?

Lebsteel
01-23-2010, 02:52 PM
i've read that thomas is a pretty fierc hitter as well.

if they draft mays, would they think about flipping him and troy.

mays at SS, troy at FS?

Yea, I was thinking the same thing. That would maybe add a few years to Troy's career by making him more a deep guy that might get less contact while it would play to Mays' strength and allow him to play the run more and have less coverage responsibilities.

hawaiiansteel
01-23-2010, 03:21 PM
I'd like our first three picks to be on defense, maybe something like:

1) Earl Thomas--FS
2) Jared Odrick--DT (3-4 DE) (trade a 4th and extra later round picks to move up)
3) Sean Lee--ILB or Micah Johnson--ILB

I agree with you, except I would love to see our first 3 picks unfold this way:

1) Earl Thomas - FS started every game in his career at Texas and set a school record with 8 interceptions this past season, would look great next to Troy

2) CB - choose from the best one still available: Patrick Robinson, Donovan Warren, Kareem Jackson, Brandon Ghee, Perrish Cox, Trevard Lindley, Javier Arenas, Syd'Quan Thompson, Amari Spievey or Dominique Franks

3) Torrell Troup - NT Casey Hampton may prove difficult to re-sign, at 6'2" and 320 lbs. Troup will inject some youth into this crucial position.

Mel Blount's G
01-23-2010, 07:13 PM

Wasn't Kolb a guard?
He was a tackle. He protected bradshaw's blind side and he did it consistently well, which is something I'd like out of our LT and it hasn't been happening from Starks (though I do agree about ben's extended ball-holding, etc, etc..).

I see starks' problem as a mainly a motivational one, though I have nothing to base this on except observations. He seems to go through stretches where he plays horribly like his brain has gone on vacation. But then he'll string together games where he plays rather well, like the end of last year and through most of last years post-season. I just wish he'd play with focus and fire each and every game, especially considering that he got paid well imo. Maybe this new o-line coach can put Deebo's work ethic and attitude into Starks. In fact, I hope he (new coach) is a exceptional motivator as I feel most of our o-line has talent but lack the game-to-game consistent motivation and focus (as eveidenced by colon's ongoing false starts)

Shawn
01-24-2010, 04:49 AM
I think Cody and Mays are similar in that they both are athletic marvels, but Cody is very limited because he doesn't seem to be able to rush the QB and will probably only be a two down NT, while Mays has real problems covering WRs. I think Mays problem is that he is simply to big to play FS. He is about the size of Timmons, so maybe he would transition to LB in the NFL, but not in a Steeler uniform, hopefully.

I'd like Thomas or maybe Williams. I'd also consider Jared Odrick, DT from Penn State. 18 might be a little high for him, but he is projected to be a very good 3-4 DE.

Can Hampton rush the QB? I don't have to tell you that the NT in the 3-4 isn't going to be a pass rushing marvel. He is going to have to command double teams. Cody does just that. I don't believe many guys can block him one on one. He is 360 pounds and extremely agile for that size. I would bet if you blocked him one on one all game he would get plenty of sacks.

Oviedo
01-24-2010, 09:57 AM

Can Hampton rush the QB? I don't have to tell you that the NT in the 3-4 isn't going to be a pass rushing marvel. He is going to have to command double teams. Cody does just that. I don't believe many guys can block him one on one. He is 360 pounds and extremely agile for that size. I would bet if you blocked him one on one all game he would get plenty of sacks.

My concern about Cody is that he is 360lbs and that is the lightest we will ever see him which will lead to stamina and durability issues. He will likely never be more than a two down lineman. If the Steelers do pick him, and I think that totally depends on their decision with Hampton because they don't need both, I hope I am wrong about his work tehic. I have very good friends whose kids are students at Bama and they are huge fans. They are not high on Cody and how much you can expect from him as a Pro.

Oviedo
01-24-2010, 10:05 AM

Stay away from patrick Robinson. I'll bet he barely measures 5'10" and I never saw him standout in any FSU game I watched. There are good CBs that will be able to be had in Round 2 or 3 of this year's draft but not in Round 1.

I will continue to disagree about Spiller. Best bang for the buck we could get at #18. I continue to ask the question: "What do you do if Mendenhall gets hurt?" You need three solid RBs in the NFL to get through the season. We have one and a half with Mendy and Moore. No mid-round RB will give you what Spiller can give you...game changing ability as a runner, receiver or returner. Mid to late round RB selection get you Frank Summers. Do you really think that is enough?

steelernation77
01-24-2010, 01:30 PM
Bulaga has strength tattooed on his bicep in Polish. I figured all you yinzers would like that.

Shawn
01-24-2010, 01:40 PM

My concern about Cody is that he is 360lbs and that is the lightest we will ever see him which will lead to stamina and durability issues. He will likely never be more than a two down lineman. If the Steelers do pick him, and I think that totally depends on their decision with Hampton because they don't need both, I hope I am wrong about his work tehic. I have very good friends whose kids are students at Bama and they are huge fans. They are not high on Cody and how much you can expect from him as a Pro.

What are they basing that on? From my understanding and watching him play is he is unblockable one on one? I have heard the rumors...but if we don't sign Hampton who would you suggest? I still attest that Dan Williams will be a good NT...but he is a reach at 18. If we trade down a few slots and grab Williams...I'm very ok with that. If we sign Hampton to a three year deal...I'm very happy to grab a NT project.

papillon
01-24-2010, 05:48 PM

Stay away from patrick Robinson. I'll bet he barely measures 5'10" and I never saw him standout in any FSU game I watched. There are good CBs that will be able to be had in Round 2 or 3 of this year's draft but not in Round 1.

I will continue to disagree about Spiller. Best bang for the buck we could get at #18. I continue to ask the question: "What do you do if Mendenhall gets hurt?" You need three solid RBs in the NFL to get through the season. We have one and a half with Mendy and Moore. No mid-round RB will give you what Spiller can give you...game changing ability as a runner, receiver or returner. Mid to late round RB selection get you Frank Summers. Do you really think that is enough?

You do the same thing that 90% of the other teams in the league do if their #1 running balc goes down, you put in whoever you have. We may as well take Spiller in the first and WR in the second, what the hell we don't need to stop anyone on defense the offense will just outscore them by attrition.

Running back is becoming one of the least important positions on the football team.

Pappy

Lebsteel
01-24-2010, 08:52 PM

Yes, Hampton can rush the QB, he may not get the sack, but he can collapse the pocket. Have you watched Cody play? I wanted to be impressed when I watched him against Florida and Texas, but I was not in the least. He looked better playing fullback on the goal line. In fact, he wasn't even the best lineman on the 'Bama team the two times I watched him play. Cody might occupy two blockers for the 20 or so plays that he is able to play but he needs to get in a lot better shape and be on the field for many more plays if he is going to be a solid pro. When I watched Dan Williams he was much more impressive than Cody.

hawaiiansteel
01-24-2010, 09:07 PM
This is from NFL Draft Countdown's mock draft:

18. Pittsburgh Steelers - Earl Thomas S Texas

One of the benefits of being a strong organization and consistent winner is that you can always have one eye on the future. Sure the Steelers have a need or two but for the most part their roster is in good shape and their rookies aren't forced to step into the starting lineup from day one. However, after a disappointing post-Super Bowl season in which they missed the playoffs that philosophy might have to change to a degree. One position where some instant help might be needed is safety. Pittsburgh struggled mightily when Troy Polamalu went down with an injury this past season and since Ryan Clark is due to become a free agent the Steelers could look to bring in some reinforcements. Texas usually does a good job of keeping their underclassmen in school but Earl Thomas was coming off such an impressive redshirt sophomore campaign that he just couldn’t resist the lure of the pros.

Thomas doesn’t have great size but he is very athletic and rangy with a nose for the ball and a real playmaking streak, which is something the Steelers secondary could certainly use. Another option could be Clemson’s C.J. Spiller, who would be a perfect replacement for the aging and injury-prone free agent Willie Parker as the “Lightning” to Rashard Mendenhall’s “Thunder”. Don’t be shocked if the Steelers throw everyone another curveball in round one either as that's been their M.O. on Draft Day the last couple of years.

hawaiiansteel
01-24-2010, 09:40 PM
here's NFL Draft Dog -

18. Pittsburgh Steelers NT Terrence Cody Alabama

Cody (6' 5" 365 lbs) is a monster on the inside and can dunk a basketball at his current weight.

Yes, it is true that Cody is a little one dimensional, but as a two-down run stuffing nose tackle he is incredible.

stlrz d
01-24-2010, 09:50 PM
Regardless of who we take, I predict he'll be labeled a bust by game 3 of the 2010 regular season.

BradshawsHairdresser
01-24-2010, 10:36 PM
Regardless of who we take, I predict he'll be labeled a bust by game 3 of the 2010 regular season.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Shoe
01-24-2010, 10:48 PM

This is a great point.

I also would like to make another observation: I think Ted Washington is a very good comparison with Cody. If you can recall, Washington was a disappointment to his original team who picked him #1, the 49ers. I think a lot of it has to do with maturity; and a lot to do with the fact that he's going to see that Old Man Strength is something that he is going to have to adjust to (as opposed to being blocked by 19-20 year olds).

I think it would be highly difficult for a guy this size & strength to totally flop. But I also think it'll take some time for him.

hawaiiansteel
01-24-2010, 11:20 PM

DT Brian Price"bust"er

OT Bryan "Bust"laga

S Earl "BUST"homas

Shawn
01-24-2010, 11:54 PM

Yes, Hampton can rush the QB, he may not get the sack, but he can collapse the pocket. Have you watched Cody play? I wanted to be impressed when I watched him against Florida and Texas, but I was not in the least. He looked better playing fullback on the goal line. In fact, he wasn't even the best lineman on the 'Bama team the two times I watched him play. Cody might occupy two blockers for the 20 or so plays that he is able to play but he needs to get in a lot better shape and be on the field for many more plays if he is going to be a solid pro. When I watched Dan Williams he was much more impressive than Cody.

So, you are basing your observations from watching one game? He is an elite run stopper with the ability to consistantly take on two blockers. He can certainly collapse a pocket as well if teams try to block him with one guy. I see no reason the guy can't be a great pro.

Lebsteel
01-25-2010, 12:43 AM

So, you are basing your observations from watching one game? He is an elite run stopper with the ability to consistantly take on two blockers. He can certainly collapse a pocket as well if teams try to block him with one guy. I see no reason the guy can't be a great pro.

Uh, Florida and Texas, that would make two games. Yes, two games. I realize that he may have played his worst in these two games, but these were the two games where he needed to shine against the best competition and he did not. Bama is fortunate that others on the line stepped up and played well.

Don't get me wrong, I would love for the Steelers to have someone as big as Cody stuffing the middle, but I don't like what I have seen from Cody. How many games have you watched him play? Did you actually watch him dominate a game? If you did, then great, but from the limited games I've watched I have not been impressed.

Oviedo
01-25-2010, 09:06 AM

Cody dominated against the lesser teams in the SEC. He did not dominate against Florida or Texas.

Do you realize he had 25 tackles, 3 QB hurries and ZERO sacks all season long? Yes, he occupies blokers but he gets more credit for his size than his performance on the field.

IMO there are NTs you can get later who have more upside and less risk of eating themselves out of the league, e.g. Dan Williams (Tenn), Cam Thomas (UNC), Torrell Troup (UCF)

Latest from Scouts.Com has Cody as potential 2nd Round pick:

Strengths: Cody is a massive force who makes others around him better. He’s so big and strong that he can take on two blockers, which allows others on the defensive line to be productive. He dominates in one-on-one situations and disrupts the flow of a quarterback. He’s a drag down tackler who’s able to shed blocks and use his reach to stop the action.

Weaknesses: He’s not an athlete, and if it weren’t for his size and strength, he wouldn’t be considered a prospect. He’s slow off the line and doesn’t offer much of a pass rush. He’s a situational defender at best; he can’t play every down. Conditioning is a major concern, and durability/longevity has to be weighed by the team that selects him.

Steuber Says: At 6-foot-4 and a generous 365 pounds, Cody has imposing size and does some great things in the trenches. The biggest problem is his conditioning and ability to play a complete game. He has tremendous strength and occupies blockers better than any other defensive tackle in the country, but he lacks explosion and quickness to create anything in the backfield. If he can lose 20 pounds and improve his quickness, Cody can be dominant at the next level. However, a 3-4 team that needs a force inside will select him in the second round.

stlrz d
01-25-2010, 09:44 AM
Cody dominated against the lesser teams in the SEC. He did not dominate against Florida or Texas.

Do you realize he had 25 tackles, 3 QB hurries and ZERO sacks all season long? Yes, he occupies blokers but he gets more credit for his size than his performance on the field.

IMO there are NTs you can get later who have more upside and less risk of eating themselves out of the league, e.g. Dan Williams (Tenn), Cam Thomas (UNC), Torrell Troup (UCF)

Strengths: Cody is a massive force who makes others around him better. He’s so big and strong that he can take on two blockers, which allows others on the defensive line to be productive. He dominates in one-on-one situations and disrupts the flow of a quarterback. He’s a drag down tackler who’s able to shed blocks and use his reach to stop the action.

Weaknesses: He’s not an athlete, and if it weren’t for his size and strength, he wouldn’t be considered a prospect. He’s slow off the line and doesn’t offer much of a pass rush. He’s a situational defender at best; he can’t play every down. Conditioning is a major concern, and durability/longevity has to be weighed by the team that selects him.

Steuber Says: At 6-foot-4 and a generous 365 pounds, Cody has imposing size and does some great things in the trenches. The biggest problem is his conditioning and ability to play a complete game. He has tremendous strength and occupies blockers better than any other defensive tackle in the country, but he lacks explosion and quickness to create anything in the backfield. If he can lose 20 pounds and improve his quickness, Cody can be dominant at the next level. However, a 3-4 team that needs a force inside will select him in the second round.

Cool...we won't have to use our first rounder on him then! :lol:

Oviedo
01-25-2010, 09:59 AM

Cool...we won't have to use our first rounder on him then! :lol:

Yep! We can still get CJ Spiller at #18 :stirpot

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
01-25-2010, 10:46 AM

I think he will be there at our 2nd. I think he makes 5-10 like you said...But he plays bigger. He had some good games this year. Against Maryland he made himself known. I don't believe he will be the 2nd CB off the board and the Steelers will have a shot at him in the 2nd. He isn't my first choice and after the combine I might have a differnet CB slotted there. There really could be some CBs in the 2nd that could be starters early. Let's just hope the Steelers don't miss if they do pick one there.

RuthlessBurgher
01-25-2010, 02:53 PM

DT Brian Price"bust"er

OT Bryan "Bust"laga

S Earl "BUST"homas

Playing the Bustamalu game with potential draft prospects may push me onto the Terrence Cody bandwagon. How can you resist the possibility of a "Mount Busty" nickname? Sounds like a porn actress! :lol:

:Boobs

Shawn
01-25-2010, 03:38 PM
O...that sounds pretty good to me since it's all we ask of a NT in our system...he isn't supposed to get sacks.
and if Cody falls to the second round...which I can't imagine. I will do flips to grab him in the second. Can you imagine grabbing Thomas and Cody? What a draft!

RuthlessBurgher
01-25-2010, 03:47 PM
O...that sounds pretty good to me since it's all we ask of a NT in our system...he isn't supposed to get sacks.
and if Cody falls to the second round...which I can't imagine. I will do flips to grab him in the second. Can you imagine grabbing Thomas and Cody? What a draft!

I'd be happy with that. It could be one of those Jets drafts where they draft two guys they really like (Revis and Harris or Sanchez and Greene) and then only one or two other guys).

hawaiiansteel
01-25-2010, 04:00 PM

DT Brian Price"bust"er

OT Bryan "Bust"laga

S Earl "BUST"homas

Playing the Bustamalu game with potential draft prospects may push me onto the Terrence Cody bandwagon. How can you resist the possibility of a "Mount Busty" nickname? Sounds like a porn actress! :lol:

Did you see where "Mt. Busty" weighed in at 370lbs. at the Senior Bowl? I'll bet he has some serious man boobs! :Boobs

RuthlessBurgher
01-25-2010, 04:17 PM

DT Brian Price"bust"er

OT Bryan "Bust"laga

S Earl "BUST"homas

Did you see where "Mt. Busty" weighed in at 370lbs. at the Senior Bowl? I'll bet he has some serious man boobs! :Boobs

As long as he learns the painful lesson of Andre Smith and keeps his d@mn shirt on for his Pro Day workout. http://planetsmilies.net/vomit-smiley-9529.gif

http://tonybruno.files.wordpress.com/2009/09/andre-smith.jpg

Iron Shiek
01-25-2010, 04:22 PM
Holy $hit that is disturbing.

The funniest thing about that was on Hard Knocks, when he was still holding out and the players made the rookies do the Rookie Talent show, 2 guys re-enacted that scene with one of them acting like Smith. In addition to that, they re-enacted the week before's episode of Hard Knock where he was doing private workouts while holding out. Just tore him to shreds. Hilarious to watch them clown on him.

And it must suck for him that when you google his name, under images that is the first thing that pops up. He needs to hire someone to fix that for him. There's a 1-800 number he could call...

Oviedo
01-25-2010, 04:23 PM

DT Brian Price"bust"er

OT Bryan "Bust"laga

S Earl "BUST"homas

Already out of shape. Why would we want a player almost guaranteed to baloon to 400lbs in his first off season.

Millions of dollars on the line and he doesn't even try to get into some semblance of a decent playing weight. The guy is a bum and will truely be a bust.

After what Tonlin went through and did to Hampton 2 years ago why does anyone on this board think for a second he wants that problem again in spades?

hawaiiansteel
01-25-2010, 04:29 PM

DT Brian Price"bust"er

OT Bryan "Bust"laga

S Earl "BUST"homas

Already out of shape. Why would we want a player almost guaranteed to baloon to 400lbs in his first off season.

I do worry about a guy who can't get himself into shape even when he knows that there are potentially millions of dollars at stake. And he's still young, it won't get any easier to keep his weight down as he gets older.

flippy
01-25-2010, 05:11 PM
Instead of drafting Cody, how bout bringing in some Sumo Wrestlers as UDFAs?

Emannuel Yarbrough was 6'8", 800lbs+

http://www.virginmedia.com/images/sumo.jpg

I'm sure we could bring in the best of the best Japanese Sumo guys for a look-see. Look how well Calton Haslerig worked out for us for a stint.

Sumo could be the future of the 3-4 NT position.

Iron Shiek
01-25-2010, 05:15 PM
Not only that, but put him in as a lead blocker on goal line. We'd score every time!

Oh I forgot, no FB's allowed.

Shawn
01-25-2010, 05:25 PM

I'm sure we could bring in the best of the best Japanese Sumo guys for a look-see. Look how well Calton Haslerig worked out for us for a stint.

I know you probably said that as a joke...but you could be onto something.

Iron Shiek
01-25-2010, 05:25 PM
Can he play center? :moon

RuthlessBurgher
01-25-2010, 05:35 PM

You could be in for some competition from other sports, though. What if the Penguins wanted to bring in Yarbrough to play goalie? Talk about filling the net!

cruzer8
01-25-2010, 05:57 PM

You could be in for some competition from other sports, though. What if the Penguins wanted to bring in Yarbrough to play goalie? Talk about filling the net!

Sports Science did a segment on that. You can find it on youtube. I'd post it but youtube is blocked at work.

Shawn
01-25-2010, 06:10 PM
Would he even have to move? I would imagine he could just sit in front of the goal all game...eat a few dozen ham sammiches, read the paper, take a nap etc and make millions as the best goalie in the history of the game.

flippy
01-25-2010, 06:10 PM

I wasn't serious at first, but there really could be a cheap NT out there for all we know. I wonder how much Sumo's make in a year?

I've even wondered about some other Giants like some of the guys in the WWE? I met Mark Henry once and that dude was probably 6' tall and 400-500 lbs and I wondered if a guy like that could line up over a center and create problems?

Sumo seems even better, those guys are trained to get low and use leverage.

I've also wondered about Judo guys although they aren't as big. Although I think those guys hold and trip one another.

Shawn
01-25-2010, 07:18 PM
Seriously, I don't see why a sumo wrestler couldn't play NT. That's what they do...push people around with a huge frame. Even if he couldn't last a whole game...might be worth bringing a guy like that for situational or spelling your starter. I would love to see a coach try it. It would take balls though. Can you imagine the grief that coach would get?

Oviedo
01-25-2010, 08:31 PM
From the first day of senior bowl practices. Seriously, this is why you don't touch Cody who is going to drop before the draft faster than the anchor of the Battleship Alabama

Posted by: Ed Thompson
at 01/25/2010 04:53 PM ET
Byers Shutting Down Cody

USC offensive lineman Jeff Byers twice kept Alabama defensive lineman Terrence Cody tied up so long that Cody looked worn out after the second effort.

Shawn
01-25-2010, 08:40 PM
From the first day of senior bowl practices. Seriously, this is why you don't touch Cody who is going to drop before the draft faster than the anchor of the Battleship Alabama

Posted by: Ed Thompson
at 01/25/2010 04:53 PM ET
Byers Shutting Down Cody

USC offensive lineman Jeff Byers twice kept Alabama defensive lineman Terrence Cody tied up so long that Cody looked worn out after the second effort.

Sounds like he needs a good conditioning coach.

Vindrow
01-25-2010, 10:35 PM

Naw, he is a bust already :tt2

RuthlessBurgher
01-25-2010, 11:03 PM

I wasn't serious at first, but there really could be a cheap NT out there for all we know. I wonder how much Sumo's make in a year?

I've even wondered about some other Giants like some of the guys in the WWE? I met Mark Henry once and that dude was probably 6' tall and 400-500 lbs and I wondered if a guy like that could line up over a center and create problems?

Sumo seems even better, those guys are trained to get low and use leverage.

I've also wondered about Judo guys although they aren't as big. Although I think those guys hold and trip one another.

Just think of the marketing implications! The NFL could sell officially licensed team-color diapers! We'd have tons of idiots in sub-zero tempuratures in December wearing nothing but a black and gold mawashi. :shock: :lol:

Shoe
01-26-2010, 01:00 AM
Just think of the marketing implications! The NFL could sell officially licensed team-color diapers! We'd have tons of idiots in sub-zero tempuratures in December wearing nothing but a black and gold mawashi. :shock: :lol:

Sumos are not NFL caliber athletes IMO. The Americans that go to sumo are basically (American) football rejects. The Japanese who do it (while very good in their own right), are just small versions of NFL guys.

In other words, they would be the Casey Hamptons of Japan, but in America... Asashoryu (a current grand champion of sumo) would get his a$s handed to him in the NFL trenches.

As for Yarbrough, again... if he was any something, he'd already have been playing NFL football. Granted, on the 1-yard line, I agree that you simply wouldn't be able to run a QB sneak against him, but other than that specific instance, he would be useless.

Shawn
01-26-2010, 01:34 AM

Sumos are not NFL caliber athletes IMO. The Americans that go to sumo are basically (American) football rejects. The Japanese who do it (while very good in their own right), are just small versions of NFL guys.

In other words, they would be the Casey Hamptons of Japan, but in America... Asashoryu (a current grand champion of sumo) would get his a$s handed to him in the NFL trenches.

As for Yarbrough, again... if he was any something, he'd already have been playing NFL football. Granted, on the 1-yard line, I agree that you simply wouldn't be able to run a QB sneak against him, but other than that specific instance, he would be useless.

You might be right but dayum would I like to see Yarbrough play.

Iron Shiek
01-26-2010, 09:21 AM
Not sure if anyone posted this pic yet...and I don't have time to even check if this was the thread that we brought in the Andre Smith comparisons to Mt. Cody. But since the sumo guy was in this, I figured this was the right one. Check out the beast:

http://media.al.com/press-register-sports/photo/codyweighinjpg-c4f70056a2f75c65_medium.jpg

Chadman
01-26-2010, 09:50 AM
How do you know the Steelers are out of the playoffs?

We discuss the possiblility of Sumo's playing in the NFL.

:D

stlrz d
01-26-2010, 09:56 AM

Sports Science did a segment on that. You can find it on youtube. I'd post it but youtube is blocked at work.

[youtube:24mscusp]<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/sP8ZVWiZUMA&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/sP8ZVWiZUMA&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>[/youtube:24mscusp]

flippy
01-26-2010, 10:19 AM
I'd like to see Sports Science grab Jeff Saturday and an 800 lb sumo and see if Jeff could handle him. That'd be more up the sumo's alley.