PDA

View Full Version : Dexter McCluster

jj28west
01-22-2010, 06:23 AM
Maybe this should have been under the Draft Thread but I am trying to make sense why this guy is projected as a 3rd to 4th roun pick. His stock is rising BC (before combines) but he was a game breaker in college against decent competition.

In all seriousness this guy seems to be more than a wishlist or "want" type a guy. I know we have many positions to address but he would be a steal in the mid rounds. He has a bum shoulder so maybe there is the stigma of a damaged goods tag.

I dont know, I will not be suprised if he has an impact like Percy Harvin or Josh Cribbs.

Am I missing something on why he is under the radar?

steelblood
01-22-2010, 09:36 AM
Probably because he is 5'8 and 168 lbs. Ole Miss worried about the pounding he'd take running the ball and tried to limit his carries. The pounding will be worse in the pros and he won't be able to take a regular workload as a RB. So, that leaves returns, gadget plays, and a little slot receiver. Third round sounds about right. He is fearless and will help a team if he can stay healthy.

feltdizz
01-22-2010, 10:47 AM
He has Chris Johnson type speed. Durability is a concern but if Warrick Dunn and Sproles can play so can this kid. I would take him in a later round but I think he will be gone.

steelblood
01-22-2010, 12:00 PM
Dunn was 5'9, 187.

Sproles 5'6, 180.

Good point, but I think Dunn and Sproles has better muscle definition and general bulk for their height. McCluster looks skinny. I don't think he'll be able to handle a full load. But, I certainly think he could surprise folks and be a successful complimentary guy.

RuthlessBurgher
01-22-2010, 01:13 PM
Stefan Logan is listed at 5'6" and 180 lbs and looks absurdly small to me when compared to the guys that are trying to take his head off.

If McCluster is truly 2 inches taller AND 12 pounds lighter than Logan, that guy could get broken in half in the pro game. I agree that he'll need to bulk up a bit if he wants to survive at the next level.

flippy
01-22-2010, 01:14 PM
I like his name.

feltdizz
01-22-2010, 04:33 PM
Dunn was 5'9, 187.

Sproles 5'6, 180.

Good point, but I think Dunn and Sproles has better muscle definition and general bulk for their height. McCluster looks skinny. I don't think he'll be able to handle a full load. But, I certainly think he could surprise folks and be a successful complimentary guy.

he ran through the SEC... that is the closest punishment you can get to the NFL...

he will be fine, they will put 15 more pounds on him.

Jom112
01-22-2010, 04:43 PM
McCluster like Harvin will turn into a full time receiver who ever so often runs an end around. Or takes a direct snap in a wild cat like formation.

Either way, If he's available after the 3rd round, I'd jump all over him. Like Harvin, no one in the SEC could stop the man, which says a lot...

feltdizz
01-22-2010, 04:51 PM
McCluster like Harvin will turn into a full time receiver who ever so often runs an end around. Or takes a direct snap in a wild cat like formation.

Either way, If he's available after the 3rd round, I'd jump all over him. Like Harvin, no one in the SEC could stop the man, which says a lot...

Harvin also runs a few times up the middle...

I don't buy the size argument. I watched Dunn a lot and he was tiny... no amount of definition in the world can protect you from a 300 lb defender.. it's all about avoiding full contact.

We should use Logan more though... I think he can really be a Sproles type weapon.

Jom112
01-22-2010, 04:54 PM

I don't buy the size argument. I watched Dunn a lot and he was tiny... no amount of definition in the world can protect you from a 300 lb defender.. it's all about avoiding full contact.

We should use Logan more though... I think he can really be a Sproles type weapon.

He would be a quicker Garrett Wolfe if he tried to be a full time RB. And Wolfe has had a hard time staying healthy.

I say line him up as a WR and occasionally as a RB. Dunn is the exception to the rule...

feltdizz
01-22-2010, 06:37 PM

He would be a quicker Garrett Wolfe if he tried to be a full time RB. And Wolfe has had a hard time staying healthy.

I say line him up as a WR and occasionally as a RB. Dunn is the exception to the rule...
I don't know who Wolfe is.... but I see McCluster as a player who everyone hates because they passed him over... He isn't an everydown back but he may be a 10 touch a game player...

However being in the SEC... I wouldn't be surprised if he beats the odds and has a decent career.

jj28west
01-22-2010, 07:21 PM
Thanks for the feedback. I guess his frame presents the durability question to the scout experts. The few times I saw in college he was electrifying to where he seemed to make everyone else look to be in slow motion mode.

There may be more to this running style of an RB vs career longevity/effectiveness in the NFL. Barry Sanders (small frame) to the best of my memory very rarely took direct hits unless he would dish out to end the run. He retired at the top of his game.

Regardless, as pointed out, Logan would be our version of what Dexter's role may become at the next level. With Dexter's receiving skills it looks as if he may be able to make a nice living on Sundays in the slot like a Welker.

RuthlessBurgher
01-23-2010, 10:58 AM
Thanks for the feedback. I guess his frame presents the durability question to the scout experts. The few times I saw in college he was electrifying to where he seemed to make everyone else look to be in slow motion mode.

There may be more to this running style of an RB vs career longevity/effectiveness in the NFL. Barry Sanders (small frame) to the best of my memory very rarely took direct hits unless he would dish out to end the run. He retired at the top of his game.

Regardless, as pointed out, Logan would be our version of what Dexter's role may become at the next level. With Dexter's receiving skills it looks as if he may be able to make a nice living on Sundays in the slot like a Welker.

Barry was also only 5'8", but he weighed 200 lbs. He had some THICK legs that made him hard to bring down.

http://s.bebo.com/app-image/7961371357/5411656627/PROFILE/i.quizzaz.com/img/q/u/08/04/07/Sanders.jpg

Maurice Jones-Drew is only 5'7", but he weighs 208 lbs. Again, THICK legs.

http://www.bostonherald.com/blogs/sports/rap_sheet/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/mjd.jpg

This McCluster kid, listed at 5'8" and 165 lbs on ESPN.com, has twigs for legs.

http://norcalvol.files.wordpress.com/2009/11/ryan-moore.jpg

His legs look like Dennis Dixon's (if Dixon were shorter, of course).

http://skylarsraiders.files.wordpress.com/2008/04/dennis-dixon.jpg

steelblood
01-23-2010, 11:45 AM

You don't believe that a 168 lbs running back would have durability issues? The Ole Miss staff always tried to limit his carries and hoped to keep him at WR because they worried about injuries and his slight frame. I'd say you are in the minority.

Also, he has a WR frame, not a RB frame. He could add some mass, but that won't make him a lot more durable. I think JOM is right. He'll be a return guy, slot receiver and sometimes run the ball. This cat is not a full-time back.

jj28west
01-23-2010, 01:48 PM
I need to find stlrz d's youtube for idiots instruction post but this little guy has a "killed or be killed" mentality who like's contact and maybe why he was injury prone in college.

Check out this clip. Definately needs to bulk up but I dont know what that would do to his quickness. At the same time without Mark Mcquire juice I dont know if he can ever be a Jones Drew type of build.

It pretty much now makes sense why he is predicted to go in the mid rounds.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXTseYie ... re=related (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXTseYie6KI&feature=related)

RuthlessBurgher
01-23-2010, 02:23 PM
That was a heck of a block! A Hines Ward special!

A 5'8" 165 lbs. McCluster taking out a 6'3" 218 lbs. Chad Jones is like the 6'0" 205 lbs. Hines Ward taking out the 6'2" 240 lbs. Keith Rivers (minus the broken jaw, of course!).

And you just need to use the tags and around the embed code (only spell youtube correctly).