PDA

View Full Version : Would you trade Limas Sweed for...

steelerkeylargo
01-21-2010, 03:32 PM
Roy Williams (the WR), assuming the money was the same.

Pahn711
01-21-2010, 04:06 PM
Limas Sweed isn't worth squat in a trade.

hawaiiansteel
01-21-2010, 04:09 PM
I still hold out hope that Limas Sweed will develop into a good WR. This will definitely be a make or break year for him.

feltdizz
01-21-2010, 04:18 PM
why do we hope Sweed pans out? For draft sake? Trade status?

for his own health I want him to bounce back...

phillyesq
01-21-2010, 04:31 PM

for his own health I want him to bounce back...

I'd like to see Sweed develop to give the Steelers depth and another weapon on offense. And yes, for his own well being, I'd also like to see him bounce back.

As for Roy Williams, no thanks. The Steelers don't need to deal with a malcontent prima dona his best days appear to be behind him, even if salaries were even. Sweed is still young and could develop.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
01-21-2010, 05:17 PM
Roy Williams has had chances on the Cowboys, and has made some key drops. Romo basically stopped throwing to him, In our local paper, Williams was quoted as saying in the last game they lost that ZERO plays were called where he was the main receiver.

As stated, Limas has an upside that is huge. I think with Williams the risk is what you see is what you get.

So, I wouldn't trade!

RuthlessBurgher
01-21-2010, 05:25 PM

How about because we want more good players on our favorite team? Is that a good enough reason?

If Hines, Holmes, or Wallace get hurt, I want another option that we can count on to run in the 3 WR sets that we use most often.

Plus, Ward cannot play forever. I think he still has a few good seasons left in him, but you never know when the beating that his body takes might catch up to him all of a sudden.

If Sweed develops like many of us expected him to, having Holmes, Wallace, and an improved Sweed would help to ease the pain of the loss of one of the All-Time Steeler Greats when Hines eventually does decide to hang 'em up.

feltdizz
01-21-2010, 06:14 PM

How about because we want more good players on our favorite team? Is that a good enough reason?

If Hines, Holmes, or Wallace get hurt, I want another option that we can count on to run in the 3 WR sets that we use most often.

Plus, Ward cannot play forever. I think he still has a few good seasons left in him, but you never know when the beating that his body takes might catch up to him all of a sudden.

If Sweed develops like many of us expected him to, having Holmes, Wallace, and an improved Sweed would help to ease the pain of the loss of one of the All-Time Steeler Greats when Hines eventually does decide to hang 'em up.

I should have framed it differently...

just wondering how Sweed has become a fan favorite... while Timmons is a day from being cut on the board...

Chadman
01-21-2010, 06:25 PM
Limas Sweed is the physical reminder to Coach Tomlin that yoO NOT PANDER TO YOUR QB'S DESIRES.

Ben kept wailing all that off season how he 'needed' a big WR so that he could throw into double coverage with a bit more confidence- ie, he could toss it up there & Limas would be too tall for the CB's. As a few of us stated on here, it was a poor reason, a cheap cop-out in many ways, and an excuse for Ben to not protect the ball as well as he should. Add to this, OC Arians loves using 2 TE's, and both the Steelers TE's are over 6'5". How much taller does Ben need his receivers?

So the result was, the Steelers grabbed Sweed. They could have had Mike Pollack. Jason Jones. Martellus Bennett. Kendall Langford. Earl Bennett. Even Ray Rice. But they got Sweed.

Now, Sweed might develop. He might not. Here's hoping he does.

But like Bill Cowher before him, with Cowher's pandering to Kordell Stewart in the search for the 'perfect OC to match Kordell's skills' - hello Ray Sherman- hopefully Mike Tomlin has learned that HE, not BEN, makes the decisions on rosters.

SteelHead
01-21-2010, 06:35 PM
To answer the op.....Hell no !!! I'll take the "potential" of Limas over anything that Roy can offer in this point of his career. Sweed has a ton of athleticism and is a hard working humble kinda guy.......a Steeler guy. Unfortunately for him he's got some serious confidence issues working against him right now.

In his first few seasons he's looked like this guy on the field.....

https://store.petsenseoutlet.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/5e06319eda06f020e43594a9c230972d/G/u/Gumby.jpg

Let's hope he turns it around and starts looking like the guy Ben wanted all along......

http://skeptisys.files.wordpress.com/2008/12/aahi217_8x10plaxico-burress-posters.jpg

Without the attitude problems and legal woes of course.

SteelAbility
01-21-2010, 06:44 PM
Ahh, yes! It's the old "use a rhetorical question about the controversial 2nd round wide receiver to shift the discussion toward discrediting criticism of the controversial 1st round linebacker so you can get on your eternal soap box" trick.

feltdizz
01-21-2010, 06:56 PM
Ahh, yes! It's the old "use a rhetorical question about the controversial 2nd round wide receiver to shift the discussion toward discrediting criticism of the controversial 1st round linebacker so you can get on your eternal soap box" trick.

You give me way too much credit...

I just asked a question about 2 players on our team...

why can't we have the patience and support for all our guys?

hawaiiansteel
01-21-2010, 06:56 PM

I should have framed it differently...

just wondering how Sweed has become a fan favorite... while Timmons is a day from being cut on the board...

I like Lawrence Timmons, he's still young and has lots of potential to get better. Personally, I think he's playing out of position and not meant to play ILB in a 3-4 but you never hear him complaining about it. He gives his very best and he's very good coming on a blitz and in pass coverage. He just has a hard time holding up at the point of attack on run plays which is why he would probably be better playing on the outside.

feltdizz
01-21-2010, 06:59 PM
Limas Sweed is the physical reminder to Coach Tomlin that yoO NOT PANDER TO YOUR QB'S DESIRES.

Ben kept wailing all that off season how he 'needed' a big WR so that he could throw into double coverage with a bit more confidence- ie, he could toss it up there & Limas would be too tall for the CB's. As a few of us stated on here, it was a poor reason, a cheap cop-out in many ways, and an excuse for Ben to not protect the ball as well as he should. Add to this, OC Arians loves using 2 TE's, and both the Steelers TE's are over 6'5". How much taller does Ben need his receivers?

So the result was, the Steelers grabbed Sweed. They could have had Mike Pollack. Jason Jones. Martellus Bennett. Kendall Langford. Earl Bennett. Even Ray Rice. But they got Sweed.

But like Bill Cowher before him, with Cowher's pandering to Kordell Stewart in the search for the 'perfect OC to match Kordell's skills' - hello Ray Sherman- hopefully Mike Tomlin has learned that HE, not BEN, makes the decisions on rosters.

Sweed catching a few TD's would be like Ike catching an INT in the Miami game....

A little too late... he has to catch a Mike Wallace in the playoffs to be worth his jersey IMO.. The block was nice in the Ravens game, if he did that too it would help.

cruzer8
01-21-2010, 07:21 PM

Really? All off season?

I recall him mentioning it once in one interview and people (including Hines) freaking out about it.

williar
01-21-2010, 07:23 PM
Sydney Rice is a prime example of why people should quit trying to run Limas Sweed out of town. Rice was a highly touted 2nd round pick a couple of years ago, and was all but invisible and considered a bust in the vikings offense his first two years. Enter Brett Farve, the gunslinger QB looking for a big play, go to receiver. Farve didn't know, didn't care about the past. He just threw him the damn ball. Now he has a clutch, probowl receiver. I just want to see Limas get some more catchable balls thrown his way before he's completely left for dead.

RuthlessBurgher
01-21-2010, 07:28 PM
Sydney Rice is a prime example of why people should quit trying to run Limas Sweed out of town. Rice was a highly touted 2nd round pick a couple of years ago, and was all but invisible and considered a bust in the vikings offense his first two years. Enter Brett Farve, the gunslinger QB looking for a big play, go to receiver. Farve didn't know, didn't care about the past. He just threw him the damn ball. Now he has a clutch, probowl receiver. I just want to see Limas get some more catchable balls thrown his way before he's completely left for dead.

Similar sentiments can be used toward former Saint 1st round pick Robert Meachem and former Cardinal 3rd round pick Early Doucet for that matter.

feltdizz
01-21-2010, 07:49 PM

Really? All off season?

I recall him mentioning it once in one interview and people (including Hines) freaking out about it.

Are you suggesting Ben just threw it out there once to see if it would stick?

Saying it once in the media is one time too many if he "really didn't mean it"

feltdizz
01-21-2010, 07:52 PM

Similar sentiments can be used toward former Saint 1st round pick Robert Meachem and former Cardinal 3rd round pick Early Doucet for that matter.

Do we need to change QB's?

EVERYONE wants Sweed to catch some catchable balls...

SanAntonioSteelerFan
01-21-2010, 07:58 PM

I heard The Mighty Eskimo/Zorro may be on the shopping block soon - think of all the money we could spend if we got that trade to happen! :shock:

feltdizz
01-21-2010, 08:00 PM

I heard The Mighty Eskimo/Zorro may be on the shopping block soon - think of all the money we could spend if we got that trade to happen! :shock:

It was a joke in reference to Favre :shock:

RuthlessBurgher
01-21-2010, 08:03 PM

It was a joke in reference to Favre :shock:

I liked SASF's "Gay Blade" joke better. :lol:

devilsdancefloor
01-21-2010, 08:11 PM
Limas needs confidance is all. if you are gona get all ove rhim for teh drop in cinci you should get all of tone for the drop in chitown. I still think he can be a damn good WR if given the chance sure he dropped some, but so did everyone. he needs to get in the game a get the ball thrown at him. So far i dont think he has been given that chance. I would still love to know what is wrong with him.. anyway my 2 copper pieces

feltdizz
01-21-2010, 08:57 PM
Limas needs confidance is all. if you are gona get all ove rhim for teh drop in cinci you should get all of tone for the drop in chitown. I still think he can be a damn good WR if given the chance sure he dropped some, but so did everyone. he needs to get in the game a get the ball thrown at him. So far i dont think he has been given that chance. I would still love to know what is wrong with him.. anyway my 2 copper pieces

Sweed just needs to catch the freaking ball..

Vindrow
01-21-2010, 10:14 PM
I would trade him for a Klondike bar :mrgreen:

Djfan
01-22-2010, 10:18 AM
I couldn't care less what happens to Sweed. His experiment time is over IMO. If he has trade value, trade him. If not, save the money. Why give him this long?

RuthlessBurgher
01-22-2010, 10:46 AM
I couldn't care less what happens to Sweed. His experiment time is over IMO. If he has trade value, trade him. If not, save the money. Why give him this long?

This long? It's been two years.

At this point, Hines, Holmes, and Wallace are your top 3 for sure. But who else do we have for WR depth? Tyler Grisham? Re-sign the ancient Joey Galloway?

I think he could be a more-than-solid 4th option, so why throw him out with the bathwater?

feltdizz
01-22-2010, 10:56 AM

At this point, Hines, Holmes, and Wallace are your top 3 for sure. But who else do we have for WR depth? Tyler Grisham? Re-sign the ancient Joey Galloway?

I think he could be a more-than-solid 4th option, so why throw him out with the bathwater?
Because he keeps dropping the ball.

RuthlessBurgher
01-22-2010, 11:06 AM

Because he keeps dropping the ball.

What does he have? Two drops last year and one drop this year? Crucify the man!

He has talent. He is a Steeler. Therefore, I will root for him to improve and contribute.

ikestops85
01-22-2010, 11:12 AM

Really? All off season?

Exactly ... a reporter asked Ben what he would like in the draft so Ben gave him an answer. Everything after that was blown way out of proportion.

phillyesq
01-22-2010, 11:27 AM

For me, there are a few differences:

Timmons was a top 15 pick. The Steelers rarely pick that high, and when they do, you expect them to grab somebody who will dominate. A top 15 pick who, after three years, is still more potential than production is a big letdown, at least to me.

Sweed was a second rounder selected for his high upside. Big receivers especially often seem to take three years to develop. If Sweed doesn't demonstrate anything this year, then I think that will be the end of the line for him. But as of now, he has a lot of upside and a lot of potential, and I'd like to see him given one more chance to live up to that potential. Especially since this year he is going to be the #4 WR, at best.

feltdizz
01-22-2010, 11:27 AM
Ben asking for a big WR in an interview and the reaction of players and media is blowing it out of proportion? I guess it's not a big deal... but it sure got him a big WR when most were saying OL.

feltdizz
01-22-2010, 11:39 AM

Timmons was a top 15 pick. The Steelers rarely pick that high, and when they do, you expect them to grab somebody who will dominate. A top 15 pick who, after three years, is still more potential than production is a big letdown, at least to me.

Sweed was a second rounder selected for his high upside. Big receivers especially often seem to take three years to develop. If Sweed doesn't demonstrate anything this year, then I think that will be the end of the line for him. But as of now, he has a lot of upside and a lot of potential, and I'd like to see him given one more chance to live up to that potential. Especially since this year he is going to be the #4 WR, at best.

Dominates? That is crazy IMO... I'm not a draft hound but this year please tell me who will dominate at 18 this year.. I don't expect anyone to dominate because the draft is tricky. I expect a 15 to contribute... I don't expect a 15 to come onto one of the top D's and dominate.

Timmons has been fine IMO... I find it odd that one round later we give Sweed every benefit of the doubt... even after watching Wallace come in and "dominate" lol...

I expected more from Sweed... Not the world but a little more. I think timmons can improve but the guy makes plays and has caused a few rushed passes and fumbles that have helped us win games.

proudpittsburgher
01-22-2010, 11:46 AM
at this point, I would trade Sweed for the elipses in your thread title.

RuthlessBurgher
01-22-2010, 11:52 AM
As Steeler fans, we are now used to unparalleled success with first round draft picks. In 6 out of his first 7 drafts with the Steelers, Kevin Colbert's first pick was able to dominate (not all of them immediately, but they all showed dominant ability in the black and gold).

Plaxico was able to dominate.
Hampton was able to dominate.
Troy was able to dominate.
Ben was able to dominate.
Heath was able to dominate.
Santonio was able to dominate.

The only one of his first 7 first round pick that was not able to dominate was Kendall Simmons (with injuries and illness appearing to have contributed to his downfall). Although he was able to make that one of his deeper drafts, with all but one player from that draft, CB LaVar Glover, contributing to a certain degreee (Antwaan Randle El, Chris Hope, Larry Foote, Verron Haynes, Lee Mays, and Brett Keisel).

As of now, the book is still out on his last 3 first rounders, Timmons, Mendenhall, and Hood. All have shown promise. They may be able to dominate. We are anxiously awaiting for that additional domination to kick in.

phillyesq
01-22-2010, 11:58 AM

Dominates? That is crazy IMO... I'm not a draft hound but this year please tell me who will dominate at 18 this year.. I don't expect anyone to dominate because the draft is tricky. I expect a 15 to contribute... I don't expect a 15 to come onto one of the top D's and dominate.

Timmons has been fine IMO... I find it odd that one round later we give Sweed every benefit of the doubt... even after watching Wallace come in and "dominate" lol...

I expected more from Sweed... Not the world but a little more. I think timmons can improve but the guy makes plays and has caused a few rushed passes and fumbles that have helped us win games.

IMO, it is not crazy at all to expect the Steelers to take an impact player at 15. I should clarify -- I don't expect that somebody taken at 15 or 18 to be an impact player starting in week 1, but by their third season, they should be an impact player. I think Timmons, so far, has fallen short of expectations, and is still more potential than production.

Mel Blount's G
01-22-2010, 12:02 PM
Can he play center?

feltdizz
01-22-2010, 12:35 PM
As Steeler fans, we are now used to unparalleled success with first round draft picks. In 6 out of his first 7 drafts with the Steelers, Kevin Colbert's first pick was able to dominate (not all of them immediately, but they all showed dominant ability in the black and gold).

The only one of his first 7 first round pick that was not able to dominate was Kendall Simmons (with injuries and illness appearing to have contributed to his downfall). Although he was able to make that one of his deeper drafts, with all but one player from that draft, CB LaVar Glover, contributing to a certain degreee (Antwaan Randle El, Chris Hope, Larry Foote, Verron Haynes, Lee Mays, and Brett Keisel).

As of now, the book is still out on his last 3 first rounders, Timmons, Mendenhall, and Hood. All have shown promise. They may be able to dominate. We are anxiously awaiting for that additional domination to kick in.

Plex was great... but he didn't dominate.
Holmes was great... but he didn't dominate.. he had a ton of fumbles his first year as a PR.
Ben dominated...
Troy didn't dominate in his second year... but we knew he was destined...
Heath was solid... but the bar is so low for TE's in the burgh any TE who has hands is dominating
Hampton dominated

now Timmons and Mend... both these guys have dominated when you put it in perspective. Mend can't hand off to himself but when he touches the ball he gets damn near 5 a pop.

Timmons forced or recovered 4 fumbles last year and honestly.. people are crazy to talk about Timmons like he is underperforming. I think people expect our LB's to be gods... Looking back I definitely think Timmons is better then what we had before.

RuthlessBurgher
01-22-2010, 01:07 PM

Plex was great... but he didn't dominate.
Holmes was great... but he didn't dominate.. he had a ton of fumbles his first year as a PR.
Ben dominated...
Troy didn't dominate in his second year... but we knew he was destined...
Heath was solid... but the bar is so low for TE's in the burgh any TE who has hands is dominating
Hampton dominated

now Timmons and Mend... both these guys have dominated when you put it in perspective. Mend can't hand off to himself but when he touches the ball he gets damn near 5 a pop.

Timmons forced or recovered 4 fumbles last year and honestly.. people are crazy to talk about Timmons like he is underperforming. I think people expect our LB's to be gods... Looking back I definitely think Timmons is better then what we had before.

Perhaps I misunderstood the original context in which this discussion started, but I wasn't talking about whether or not they were able to dominate in their first year or two. I was talking about the total dominant impact of those first round picks. I can't imagine a better NT, SS, QB, and TE for this team than Casey, Troy, Ben, and Heath. All were absolutely perfect for us. I think the impact of those 4 guys is virtually inarguable.

Plax's attitude did not make him a perfect player for us, but he did have a couple of 1000 yard seasons and 22 TD's in the black and gold (with another couple of 1000 yard seasons and 33 more TD's with the Giants). When his head was screwed on straight, his athletic capabilities made him dominant.

Santonio has scored a TD in every playoff game he has every participated in. He won a Super Bowl MVP, taking the reins from a hobbled Hines Ward with a 9 catch for 131 yards performance including 1 amazing TD on that dominant final game-winning drive.

flippy
01-22-2010, 01:25 PM
Timmons needs to blitz more and his dominance will become clear. We really under use the guy. Every time he rushes the passer, something breaks down in the blocking because of his burst of speed.

We should move him around on every play and send him after the QB at least half the time.

phillyesq
01-22-2010, 01:41 PM
Timmons needs to blitz more and his dominance will become clear. We really under use the guy. Every time he rushes the passer, something breaks down in the blocking because of his burst of speed.

We should move him around on every play and send him after the QB at least half the time.

My problem with Timmons as a blitzer is that he rarely, if ever, beats a blocker. On almost every sack I remember this year, he was unblocked.

Shawn
01-22-2010, 03:00 PM

My problem with Timmons as a blitzer is that he rarely, if ever, beats a blocker. On almost every sack I remember this year, he was unblocked.

Same with his college career...most if not all of his sacks he came in untouched.

PSU_dropout43
01-22-2010, 03:10 PM

Timmons sucks. He lacks instinct and is constantly washed out of the plays.

cruzer8
01-22-2010, 03:20 PM
Timmons is a good, young player (23) and should only get better.

Mel Blount's G
01-22-2010, 03:35 PM
Timmons is a good, young player (23) and should only get better.
I completely agree. My only concern is potential fragility (ankles?) ala tinker Bell

feltdizz
01-22-2010, 04:41 PM

He will get better... he isn't 30..

but this is my point.. we breakdown all the flaws of Timmons and most seem unimpressed...
yet Sweed is like Luke Skywalker on this board to some people.. his upside is huge.

:wft

:Cheers

Shoe
01-23-2010, 06:47 PM
As stated, Limas has an upside that is huge. I think with Williams the risk is what you see is what you get.

Really? "huge"?
That's saying a lot.
I think he's proven, even if he does improve, he's no star. I can't think of many Terrell Owenes, Ike Bruces, Cris Carters who have flopped so miserably in their frist two years in the league. (Jimmy Smith probably comes the closest.)

Generally, the guy (whoever it is) will show glimpses of his ability, to make you think something. Sweed has shown ZERO. Like Fred Gibson. Or Mike Williams (Detroit). Or many others.

So while I'm not trading him for no bum like Roy Williams, or ready to write him off as useless just yet... to say he has "huge" potential is way too much to expect from him. That's pretty pie-in-the-sky if you ask me. I'm thinking I'll be happy, if he becomes... say Weegie Thompson for us :wink: . That pretty much sums up my expectations of him (i.e. slightly higher than zero).

feltdizz
01-23-2010, 10:50 PM

Really? "huge"?
That's saying a lot.
I think he's proven, even if he does improve, he's no star. I can't think of many Terrell Owenes, Ike Bruces, Cris Carters who have flopped so miserably in their frist two years in the league. (Jimmy Smith probably comes the closest.)

Generally, the guy (whoever it is) will show glimpses of his ability, to make you think something. Sweed has shown ZERO. Like Fred Gibson. Or Mike Williams (Detroit). Or many others.

So while I'm not trading him for no bum like Roy Williams, or ready to write him off as useless just yet... to say he has "huge" potential is way too much to expect from him. That's pretty pie-in-the-sky if you ask me. I'm thinking I'll be happy, if he becomes... say Weegie Thompson for us :wink: . That pretty much sums up my expectations of him (i.e. slightly higher than zero).

The "huge upside" is a joke. His "ability to get open" is another joke....

Nate got so open he was paid to be a #1WR by TN, Sweed got open, Wallace got open... hmmmm... I think it's obvious our offense is built for a #3WR to be open given our other weapons....

I do feel for him though.... those drops may haunt him for life if he doesn't bounce back.

stlrz d
01-23-2010, 11:25 PM

Really? "huge"?
That's saying a lot.

Nate got so open he was paid to be a #1WR by TN, Sweed got open, Wallace got open... hmmmm... I think it's obvious our offense is built for a #3WR to be open given our other weapons....

I do feel for him though.... those drops may haunt him for life if he doesn't bounce back.

You should really think about who covers a #3 WR before posting such silliness.

feltdizz
01-24-2010, 12:22 AM

Really? "huge"?
That's saying a lot.

You should really think about who covers a #3 WR before posting such silliness.
Can anybody help me? Please help me find out who covers a #3 WR?
Champ Bailey?????? Darrell Revis????? The best CB covers a #3 WR right????
:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

reread the whole post, go sit on your stool, drink your beer and deliver mail.

http://lauriekendrick.files.wordpress.com/2008/08/cliff_claven.jpg
Thanks CLIFF!!!!

SanAntonioSteelerFan
01-24-2010, 12:38 AM
PSA

Warning: Nesting limit approaching!

stlrz d
01-24-2010, 10:18 AM
Can anybody help me? Please help me find out who covers a #3 WR?
Champ Bailey?????? Darrell Revis????? The best CB covers a #3 WR right????
:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

reread the whole post, go sit on your stool, drink your beer and deliver mail.

http://lauriekendrick.files.wordpress.com/2008/08/cliff_claven.jpg
Thanks CLIFF!!!!

That's only one of the idiocies of your post. There are plenty others as well.

But if posting pictures of TV characters (by the way, even Cliff would realized immediately how stupid that post was) helps you feel as if you're somehow proving something...then by all means please continue....

Slapstick
01-24-2010, 12:28 PM
Really? "huge"?
That's saying a lot.

Did you not read the previous post which mentioned Sydney Rice?

He went from having 31 catches to 15 catches to 83 catches and a Pro Bowl. The Vikings just kept playing him until he got better...and it just so happened that Brett Favre started leaning on him, and Rice delivered....

Robert Meachem was also mentioned...he went from 0 catches to 12 catches to 45 catches, 9 TDs and a 16.0 average....

What about Vincent Jackson?

No player is going to get any better if he's benched or factored out of the game plan completely...even after Arians stated that Sweed was getting it done in practice, he was still not given the opportunity...

So, yeah, I still think his upside is huge...

feltdizz
01-24-2010, 12:35 PM
That's only one of the idiocies of your post. There are plenty others as well.

But if posting pictures of TV characters (by the way, even Cliff would realized immediately how stupid that post was) helps you feel as if you're somehow proving something...then by all means please continue....

You certainly proved something.... have a good day Cliff.

feltdizz
01-24-2010, 12:45 PM
Really? "huge"?
That's saying a lot.

He went from having 31 catches to 15 catches to 83 catches and a Pro Bowl. The Vikings just kept playing him until he got better...and it just so happened that Brett Favre started leaning on him, and Rice delivered....

Robert Meachem was also mentioned...he went from 0 catches to 12 catches to 45 catches, 9 TDs and a 16.0 average....

No player is going to get any better if he's benched or factored out of the game plan completely...even after Arians stated that Sweed was getting it done in practice, he was still not given the opportunity...

Did these other guys drop 3 sure TD's like Sweed did? I think he has been given chances he just keeps dropping the opportunity. I can't see how Sweed sees the field unless we have an injury.

Sweed getting it done in practice is like a FG kicker who can hit from 50 yards in practice but misses the extra point in a close game. I think it's asking a bit much to put Sweed into the game plan with Wallace running all over the field.

SteelAbility
01-25-2010, 08:30 AM
Really? "huge"?
That's saying a lot.

Did these other guys drop 3 sure TD's like Sweed did? I think he has been given chances he just keeps dropping the opportunity. I can't see how Sweed sees the field unless we have an injury.

Sweed getting it done in practice is like a FG kicker who can hit from 50 yards in practice but misses the extra point in a close game. I think it's asking a bit much to put Sweed into the game plan with Wallace running all over the field.

I hear Ryan Leaf was a BEAST in practice ... no joke.

aggiebones
01-25-2010, 11:15 AM
People were excited about Sweed cause he was rated higher than where we drafted him.
Timmons maybe a few slots after where we drafted him. But Timmons is by far the better prospect on his draft day and people need to remember that.
Sweed dropped for a reason. He was always wide open cause defenses in college were scared of Young running and he could catch with his elbows and get away with it. He missed most of his senior year after that. He's just not as good as his draft position.
We could trade him maybe, but not for much more than a 4th rounder.

IMO, that is why he was put on IR. They intend to trade him and didn't want him to get hurt in the last couple games of the season.

feltdizz
01-25-2010, 02:23 PM
People were excited about Sweed cause he was rated higher than where we drafted him.
Timmons maybe a few slots after where we drafted him. But Timmons is by far the better prospect on his draft day and people need to remember that.
Sweed dropped for a reason. He was always wide open cause defenses in college were scared of Young running and he could catch with his elbows and get away with it. He missed most of his senior year after that. He's just not as good as his draft position.
We could trade him maybe, but not for much more than a 4th rounder.

IMO, that is why he was put on IR. They intend to trade him and didn't want him to get hurt in the last couple games of the season.

Not sure what we can get for him..

and for those who say he needs more chances.. those passes he dropped were his chances. We can't reward failure... Tyrone Carter is proof. 8)

cruzer8
01-25-2010, 04:39 PM
I'll not consider him a failure until he receives significant playing time in a real game and fails.

birtikidis
01-25-2010, 04:50 PM
Didn't Hines Ward start out slow in his career?
I thought we were pretty much giving up on him when we drafted TWO recievers in the first round.
and yes, Vincent, Meachem and S. Rice all dropped sure passes in their career. drops of td passes are not limited to JUST limas sweed.
man just think if we gave up on every player after only 2 seasons because they weren't tearing it up.
no james harrison
no peezy
no greg lloyd

that list could go on and on

feltdizz
01-25-2010, 05:08 PM
I thought we were pretty much giving up on him when we drafted TWO recievers in the first round.
and yes, Vincent, Meachem and S. Rice all dropped sure passes in their career. drops of td passes are not limited to JUST limas sweed.
man just think if we gave up on every player after only 2 seasons because they weren't tearing it up.
no james harrison
no peezy
no greg lloyd

We gave up on Harrison, so did Baltimore and a couple other teams I think. Harrison even said he didn't belong due to his frustration. It worked out due to Harrison not giving up and making plays on ST's...

Hines was a QB in college. He was given chances and made the most of them.

Not sure about the other Peezy and Lloyd regarding their progression but I'm sure they showed flashes. Hard to see what Sweed can show if he doesn't hold onto easy passes. I expect drops but these are breadbasket drop... kinda hard to give him more chances if the other guys are taking advantage of his failure and producing.

birtikidis
01-25-2010, 05:26 PM
no james harrison
no peezy
no greg lloyd

We gave up on Harrison, so did Baltimore and a couple other teams I think. Harrison even said he didn't belong due to his frustration. It worked out due to Harrison not giving up and making plays on ST's...

Hines was a QB in college. He was given chances and made the most of them.

Not sure about the other Peezy and Lloyd regarding their progression but I'm sure they showed flashes. Hard to see what Sweed can show if he doesn't hold onto easy passes. I expect drops but these are breadbasket drop... kinda hard to give him more chances if the other guys are taking advantage of his failure and producing.
Hines alsa tore his ACL up early in his career and missed a ton of time.
Lloyd missed his first two season due to torn ACL's. no flashes. nothing.
Peezy sat for years.
Sweed has shown flashes. it's consistency that he needs to show.

feltdizz
01-25-2010, 05:28 PM
I'll not consider him a failure until he receives significant playing time in a real game and fails.

that sounds just all types of plain old dumb.. Sweed isn't handicapped or some joker who won a chance to play WR in a raffle. He is a 2nd rounder who keeps getting chances to make up for past failures and he keeps blowing it.

You sound like his agent... "He just needs a promotion to prove he can get it done"

Sweed was our #3 WR... he has to prove he can be a number #3 before asking for more reps!

feltdizz
01-25-2010, 05:41 PM
Peezy sat for years.

getting injured and being retained means they showed flashes... IMO.

What flashes has Sweed shown besides the Ravens block? Every flash he had he doused himself by dropping the rock. Please do not say getting open either... Nate Washington, Wallace and even Grisham showed you can get open.. The #3 WR is all about speed and stretching the field... Every #3 with decent speed will get open with Heath, Holmes and Hines on the field. Getting open isn't enough IMO. Remember a ton of people were saying Nate couldn't catch and Sweed was a worthy replacement. Imagine if we didn't have Wallace? I'm pretty sure we got Wallace because we felt Sweed may not be what we thought he was.

cruzer8
01-25-2010, 05:59 PM

that sounds just all types of plain old dumb.. Sweed isn't handicapped or some joker who won a chance to play WR in a raffle. He is a 2nd rounder who keeps getting chances to make up for past failures and he keeps blowing it.

You sound like his agent... "He just needs a promotion to prove he can get it done"

Sweed was our #3 WR... he has to prove he can be a number #3 before asking for more reps!

He's been on the field for a handful of plays. That's not plenty of chances.

feltdizz
01-25-2010, 07:08 PM

He's been on the field for a handful of plays. That's not plenty of chances.
I think you mean he had the ball thrown to him a handful of times...

He has played in full games but since he was a #3 you can't expect 8 to 10 throws a game.

Shawn
01-25-2010, 08:49 PM
Sweed will get one more season to prove he can play. Do I believe he can play? Absolutely. It's not like he doesn't get open. He needs to catch the ball which he done fine in college. The ball isn't thrown that much harder. It's a mental thing and he has one more season to overcome it.

As for Harrison...the guy always showed ability. I remember making alot of comments on the Trib about getting him some PT. The problem? He isn't the sharpest knife in the drawer. He had a really hard time learning assignments and got into Cowhers dog house due to alot of blown assignments. He admits to having problems learning the D.

birtikidis
01-25-2010, 11:41 PM
Peezy sat for years.

getting injured and being retained means they showed flashes... IMO.

What flashes has Sweed shown besides the Ravens block? Every flash he had he doused himself by dropping the rock. Please do not say getting open either... Nate Washington, Wallace and even Grisham showed you can get open.. The #3 WR is all about speed and stretching the field... Every #3 with decent speed will get open with Heath, Holmes and Hines on the field. Getting open isn't enough IMO. Remember a ton of people were saying Nate couldn't catch and Sweed was a worthy replacement. Imagine if we didn't have Wallace? I'm pretty sure we got Wallace because we felt Sweed may not be what we thought he was.
how does getting injured mean he'd shown flashes? if i remember correctly Lloyd didn't even play in a preseason game either one of those seasons...
sweed has shown flashes too... in practice.

feltdizz
01-26-2010, 12:00 AM
Birditikis... Mendenhall missed his first season... but when he was given an opportunity he ran with it. You can't use established players and compare them to Sweed. Sweed has to make the plays and then we can talk about his upside and his potential. Just catch the damn ball then we can talk about upside.

birtikidis
01-26-2010, 12:11 AM
I merely stated that we shouldn't give up on him this early in his career.
if we gave up on every player who didn't produce after their first two years we would be talking about having alot of great players on our team.
or should we let a someone else have him and let them develop him? ala mike vrabel?

BATMAN
01-26-2010, 12:36 AM
At a minimum he should at least be able to catch the ball. Catching the ball as a receiver should be the key element to that position, wouldn't ya think ?

I don't mind a new guy not learning the offense at record speed, and I can understand, they're not in college any longer. Learning how to concentrate on catching the ball should have been accomplished by at least highschool. Even Troy Edwards could catch the ball.

I doubt he has any trade value.

Shawn
01-26-2010, 01:45 AM
At a minimum he should at least be able to catch the ball. Catching the ball as a receiver should be the key element to that position, wouldn't ya think ?

I don't mind a new guy not learning the offense at record speed, and I can understand, they're not in college any longer. Learning how to concentrate on catching the ball should have been accomplished by at least highschool. Even Troy Edwards could catch the ball.

If he was able to catch in college...why not now? It's not like he doesn't get open. The guy is mentally weak...letting the pro game get in his head. Maybe he will get over it...maybe he wont. But I suspect he will get one more season to prove he can get his head straight...which will get his hands straight.
'

BATMAN
01-26-2010, 02:28 PM

If he was able to catch in college...why not now? It's not like he doesn't get open. The guy is mentally weak...letting the pro game get in his head. Maybe he will get over it...maybe he wont. But I suspect he will get one more season to prove he can get his head straight...which will get his hands straight.
'

I don't follow college ball or players I, get that kind of info from this site. I heard the exact opposite when or prior to the Steelers picking up Sweed that, he always had a case of the drops. Not trying to say your wrong, just telling you I heard different.

proudpittsburgher
01-26-2010, 02:33 PM

'

I don't follow college ball or players I, get that kind of info from this site. I heard the exact opposite when or prior to the Steelers picking up Sweed that, he always had a case of the drops. Not trying to say your wrong, just telling you I heard different.

I agree with this . . . I heard the stigma with Sweed has always been the dropsies. Not necessarily on the level of what he has done with the Steelers, but dropsies nonetheless.

feltdizz
01-26-2010, 03:22 PM

I agree with this . . . I heard the stigma with Sweed has always been the dropsies. Not necessarily on the level of what he has done with the Steelers, but dropsies nonetheless.

It's not like he is dropping darts on slants either..

Shawn
01-26-2010, 05:27 PM

'

Sweeds hands were comparable to Plax's in college. I watched alot of both players. Sweed however has more physical skills. He is faster, more physical and grabs a ball at the peak of a jump better than Plax. Did he drop some easy ones in college...yes. But, I also seen him make freak catches only a few guys in the NFL can make. His hands were solid enough that he certainly can play at the pro level.

With that said, I'm not making excuses for the guy. It's in his head...despite what some have said the kid has terrific work ethic...is a good kid and sometimes puts too much pressure on himself to succeed. He does so to the point that he overthinks catches. That's why he struggles...not some inate inability to catch the ball.

BATMAN
01-26-2010, 11:32 PM
Personally I like the guy. He seems like a good person and a person I want to be viewed along with the team and city. I hope he does great ! We all want a good player for our Steelers. I just don't think he has it in him yet to make it at this level. Yeah the freak catches are cool but, I'd rather know he can do the steady stuff that gets the ball down the field. A receiver that gives the quarterback, team and fans the ease of mind that you can depend on him. He ain't non of that.
One poster said it best, it isn't like he drops the slants or the stuff thrown that only stretch armstrong could grab.

Mel Blount's G
01-27-2010, 04:32 AM
That's an interesting theory. I'll be keeping on eye on that

Maybe we can package him together with Fast Willie, Gay Willie and Bruce Almighty for sumpin' sumpin'?