PDA

View Full Version : What is the status with Ben's Case?

JDSteeler
01-20-2010, 03:05 AM
I thought for sure that there would be some developments by now.

The season is over, and I thought this thang would be scheduled for trial
or something, before the start of next season.

This case needs to go away, and Ben has to clear his name in time for

We can't expect to go into the 2010 season with this cloud over Ben's head,
and have good feelings about another Championship.

JD

grotonsteel
01-20-2010, 02:35 PM
I ma not sure but i think Big Ben's lawyer has asked for change in location.

phillyesq
01-20-2010, 02:57 PM
I haven't seen any press on the case lately, which probably means that there haven't been any filings. The parties are likely involved in discovery right now, which is basically exchange documents and information (and, of course, fighting about what you will exchange). This also includes depositions, but I'd imagine if Ben or anybody else major had to sit for a dep, that there would be some mention of it in the press.

Unfortunately, civil cases can drag on for a long time. I'm not sure what the scheduling rules are in the venue for this case, but in some jurisdictions, these things can take years. I'm preparing for trial in a case filed in early 2008 based on events that happened in 2006 -- and that is in a "fast" jurisdiction. I have cases filed as far back as 2005 and 2006 that are still years away from trial.

Sugar
01-22-2010, 10:37 PM
I work with civil litigators on a daily basis helping them with the tools that allow them to be more efficient and effective in their case preparation and fact management. I can't say that it would surprise me if this didn't go on for quite a bit longer.

It's a high profile case, so I'm sure if there was anything worth reporting, we'd see something. They've already been doing a lot of shouting in the press, so it's not like this is anything that will be kept hush-hush.