PDA

View Full Version : Greatest Steeler Gameplan of all time?

jj28west
01-19-2010, 07:01 PM
Although they are not explosive this year as compared to some other past teams the Colts still look tough to stop on Offense and more than respectible on defense.
This reminded me of the 2005 run when we beat the Bengals, Colts and Denver on the road.
Our Defensive Strategy was to pressure Manning which we were successful with Joey and Clark but it was the other looks that we constantly were giving on the line that confused Indy's Oline on who to block. Brett was down on the line but then would trail the TE Fletcher in coverage on several plays. We only see half the field on TV but Peyton had trouble for most of the game to see what we were really doing in coverage. Everything looked difficult to do from trying to dink/dunk to the TE's to trying to get to Wayne, Harrison, (forgot the third receiver and other TE).

Our offensive strategy was showing some disguised passing plays to the TE while in a runnning formation. I dont remember if the OC Ken W. used trickery in that game because we were beating them pretty well straight up.

This may have been the same year where we got beat soundly on MNF by the Colts. As a typical fan I usually feel I have all the answers on what we should do but on that game I had no answer on how to attack the Colts.

In my opinion this was one of the best prepared and coached games I have seen the Steelers in and a well executed gameplan. Anyone else have a game where we did not match up well on paper that we won?

Jooser
01-19-2010, 07:30 PM
That game popped into my pea-brain too when I read the title of the thread. I think our first play was a play action and hit Heath up the middle if memory serves. It was a great plan for sure.

Shawn
01-19-2010, 07:51 PM
I would have to say one of the best coached games was SB XXX. Even though we lost it was a well coached game by the young and ballsy Cowher. He seemed to lose some of that coaching spunk later in his career. We were 13.5 point underdogs in that game against a dynasty Cowboy team. We were down 13 points only to come back and be in position to win that game. I'm still not right after those two freak interceptions. We outplayed the Cowboys that game...and game we were not even supposed to be in.

NW Steeler
01-19-2010, 07:58 PM
Upon reading the thread title, the first game that came to mind was the divisional game in 05' vs. the Colts. What a coincidence!

anger 82&95
01-19-2010, 08:00 PM
Obviously not of the same caliber, and the Steelers ultimately lost the game… but the 1989 divisional playoff game against the Broncos was almost a beautifully-coached upset. Incidentally, Mark Stock’s 4th quarter drop is still a very, very painful memory!

SteelerNation1
01-19-2010, 08:14 PM
I would have to say one of the best coached games was SB XXX. Even though we lost it was a well coached game by the young and ballsy Cowher. He seemed to lose some of that coaching spunk later in his career. We were 13.5 point underdogs in that game against a dynasty Cowboy team. We were down 13 points only to come back and be in position to win that game. I'm still not right after those two freak interceptions. We outplayed the Cowboys that game...and game we were not even supposed to be in.
Well coached indeed, although Cowher did not make the call for the surprise onside. That was all Bobby April.

feltdizz
01-19-2010, 08:33 PM
The 2005 playoff Colts game.

It was like I was watching a baby walk for the first time. You kept expecting them to fall down but they kept going...

SanAntonioSteelerFan
01-19-2010, 09:30 PM

It was like I was watching a baby walk for the first time. You kept expecting them to fall down but they kept going...

^^ Wow, perfect!!

feltdizz
01-19-2010, 11:26 PM

^^ Wow, perfect!!

a tear fell as I typed it... it really was one of those moments...

when Ben lofted that tear drop pass to Heath I lost it...

who is this team? Where have you been all these years?

Shawn
01-20-2010, 03:14 AM
Well coached indeed, although Cowher did not make the call for the surprise onside. That was all Bobby April.
Just a genius call....the coaches pulled out all the stops to win that game. Neil....ugh :x

ANPSTEEL
01-20-2010, 06:37 AM
no mention of 2009 at cleveland?? :shock:

actually the 05 game against Denver was equally impressive.

I was completely shocked by Ben's performance that game. I really expected to see a run the ball, run the ball, and run it some more- type game plan.

feltdizz
01-20-2010, 01:45 PM

I was completely shocked by Ben's performance that game. I really expected to see a run the ball, run the ball, and run it some more- type game plan.

The quick run with Bettis called back due to the all too common illegal formation was nice...

Ben pretty much owned that game though.. he was on fire.

NW Steeler
01-20-2010, 01:50 PM

His performance in all 3 games up to SB XL was incredible. That is why it always pisses me off when people focus on his play in the Super Bowl. Without Ben, we never would have been there.

sling it
01-20-2010, 10:42 PM

Yep. That game was awesome. Ben owned those playoffs.

SteelAbility
01-21-2010, 03:09 PM

Yep. That game was awesome. Ben owned those playoffs.

Not only that, but Ben also made arguably the best defensive play of those playoffs. :mrgreen: Where's the shoe-string tackle emoticon when you need it? Sheesh! :tt2 :tt2

jj28west
01-21-2010, 07:10 PM

I try to block this one from memory. Worst loss I have experienced as a Steeler fan which even surpasses all those AFC championship games.

We did do our homework and were aggresive on offense throughout the game. The quick slant to Thigpen for a TD with Deion covering was awesome.

Then going four & five wide with Hastings, Johnson, Mills? (maybe injured), Thigpen, & Holiday was Cower's doing I believe and was the beginning of the end for Earnhart as OC. When we did spread them out Dallas was sitting in zone and trying to rely on the hard tackle (Scott Case on Cory Holiday I think?)

Damn, I could still see Bam running through those holes as if he was running downfield. Like you said we had them and then commuication breakdown.

RuthlessBurgher
01-21-2010, 07:42 PM
I believe that the 5 wide set was with Yancey, C.J., Ernie, Andre, and Kordell, and Corey Holliday only came in as an in-game injury replacement.

jj28west
01-21-2010, 07:53 PM
I believe that the 5 wide set was with Yancey, C.J., Ernie, Andre, and Kordell, and Corey Holliday only came in as an in-game injury replacement.

Ah Yes...Kordell.

Thanks

SuperSize
01-23-2010, 10:22 AM

It's great to give credit where credit is due, but Bobby April SUGGESTED the on-side, and Cowher CALLED the on-side.

Just sayin'...

Pete