PDA

View Full Version : Former Steelers Olsavsky and Holmes candidates for assistant

Jigawatts
01-19-2010, 04:38 PM
Word out on the street is that the two finalists are former Steelers players
Earl Holmes and Jerry Olsavsky.

costanza2k1
01-19-2010, 04:52 PM
Word out on the street is that the two finalists are former Steelers players
Earl Holmes and Jerry Olsavsky.

Jiga keeping his ear to the streets...I like it. If I had my choice I would role with Jerry.

Iron Shiek
01-19-2010, 04:55 PM
Jiga...you got insider knowledge don't you?

Help us out here. I admit, I hear nothing....my ear is nowhere close to the treelawn, let alone the street.

Jigawatts
01-19-2010, 04:59 PM
Jiga...you got insider knowledge don't you?

Help us out here. I admit, I hear nothing....my ear is nowhere close to the treelawn, let alone the street.

Rumor going around town today was that Jerry O interviewed with the Steelers and would
know later on this week.

Just heard on Madden that the job is between him and Holmes.

costanza2k1
01-19-2010, 05:00 PM
Former Steelers Olsavsky and Holmes candidates for assistant job
Tuesday, January 19, 2010
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
Former Steelers linebackers Jerry Olsavsky and Earl Holmes are candidates to become the defensive assistant of the Steelers that came open when Lou Spanos joined the staff of the Philadelphia Eagles.

Commonly referred to as the "quality control coach," Spanos held the job with the Steelers the past 15 years. Olsavsky lost his job as linebackers coach at Youngstown University when the staff was fired.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10019/10 ... z0d5tsya3O (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10019/1029404-100.stm#ixzz0d5tsya3O)

RuthlessBurgher
01-19-2010, 05:04 PM
I've always thought of that quality control coaches as doing all the annoying little dirty work that the other position coaches don't want to do...doesn't sound like a glamour job that former NFL players would want to do.

Using a hospital analogy, a head coach would be a hospital administrator, a coordinator would be like a department chairperson, the position coaches would be the doctors on the floor, and the quality control coaches would be like nurses.

proudpittsburgher
01-19-2010, 05:32 PM
Loved me some Jerry O growing up, and was pretty disappointed when he lost his starting job.

http://www.postgazette.com/pg/10019/1029404-66.stm

Former Steelers Olsavsky and Holmes candidates for assistant job
Tuesday, January 19, 2010
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
Former Steelers linebackers Jerry Olsavsky and Earl Holmes are candidates to become the defensive assistant of the Steelers that came open when Lou Spanos joined the staff of the Philadelphia Eagles.

Commonly referred to as the "quality control coach," Spanos held the job with the Steelers the past 15 years. Olsavsky lost his job as linebackers coach at Youngstown University when the staff was fired.

Read more: http://www.postgazette.com/pg/10019/102 ... z0d61egTc7 (http://www.postgazette.com/pg/10019/1029404-66.stm#ixzz0d61egTc7)

SidSmythe
01-19-2010, 05:42 PM
this is kind of funny b/c just the other day i was wondering why this guy wasn't in coaching anymore and wondered if he'd make a good Steeler LB coach

Chadman
01-19-2010, 06:04 PM
Bring 'em both back- Olsavsky as Quality Control Coach & Holmes as Defensive Assistant Coach. Both bring the right attitude, both have plenty to offer.

Shoe
01-19-2010, 09:27 PM
Pretty cool to hear both names still on Steelers lips... I rememeber I had huge expectations for Earl Holmes when we first drafted him! He ended up being a pretty good value (for a mid-round pick).

Olsavsky, like everyone else, was a fan favorite type. Like Chris Hoke is now kinda. Or Garry Howe. (remember him? :wink: ) Gregg Carr. Tyrone Stowe.

stlrz d
01-19-2010, 10:05 PM
this is kind of funny b/c just the other day i was wondering why this guy wasn't in coaching anymore and wondered if he'd make a good Steeler LB coach

He was coaching linebackers at Youngstown State.

Check out the Jerry O face

http://www.ysu.edu/sports/football/coaches/Coach-Olsavsky.jpg

Cripes...that neck...he looks like he could still play!

So do you think if Holmes gets the job he'll say something along the lines of, "Congrats to you coach Tomlin for getting the best linebacker coach available!" :D

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
01-20-2010, 10:13 AM
If you want attitude back...get me Kevin Greene.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
01-20-2010, 10:17 AM

He's teaching the Panthers attitude right now. :-(

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
01-20-2010, 10:33 AM

He's teaching the Panthers attitude right now. :-(

Yeah...I know. Broke my heart to see him on the sideline opposite during the Packers game. I'm wondering if this would be considered a "lateral" move or a promotion. Maybe the Packers will let the Steelers talk to him if it is a promotion.

RuthlessBurgher
01-20-2010, 10:38 AM

So do you think if Holmes gets the job he'll say something along the lines of, "Congrats to you coach Tomlin for getting the best linebacker coach available!" :D

Jerry needs to work on his O face.

http://www.luminomagazine.com/2004.03/spotlight/officespace/images/drew/drew1.jpg

:lol:

Jigawatts
01-28-2010, 10:42 AM
My sources at UPS say that Jerry O is receiving a package from the Steelers today.

A new whistle maybe? :lol:

RuthlessBurgher
01-28-2010, 11:11 AM
My sources at UPS say that Jerry O is receiving a package from the Steelers today.

My sources tell me that Jerry is in Youngstown, Jiga is in Youngstown, and Jiga occassionally drives a big brown truck (when not in the DeLorean, of course). If you drop off the Steeler package with Jerry or Mrs. O today, ask if you can stick around while they open it. I'm sure that won't creep them out too much. :lol:

Jigawatts
01-28-2010, 11:34 AM

My sources tell me that Jerry is in Youngstown, Jiga is in Youngstown, and Jiga occassionally drives a big brown truck (when not in the DeLorean, of course). If you drop off the Steeler package with Jerry or Mrs. O today, ask if you can stick around while they open it. I'm sure that won't creep them out too much. :lol:

Your sources are wrong Ruthless. If I was a driver I'd be in a lot of trouble as I post this. :lol:

But a friend did see a package addressed to Jerry from the Steelers. I'm hoping
it's some sideline gear.

PSU_dropout43
01-29-2010, 03:59 PM
Wexell -

Steelers hire Jerry Olsavsky as new defensive assistant coach.

frankthetank1
01-29-2010, 04:38 PM
Wexell -

this is great news!! i always loved jerry o

RuthlessBurgher
01-29-2010, 04:43 PM
Wexell -

Wexell? Jiga already broke that story! Of course, he has the benefit of travelling forward in time, reading the sports page, and reporting it to us.

However, due to space-time continuum problems, Jiga's scoop almost resulted in Jerry O'Connell being named a defensive assistant instead of Jerry Olsavsky. You know, the fat kid from Stand By Me who bagged Rebecca Romijn. :P

Jigawatts
01-29-2010, 04:52 PM
Wexell -

Wexell? Jiga already broke that story! Of course, he has the benefit of travelling forward in time, reading the sports page, and reporting it to us.

However, due to space-time continuum problems, Jiga's scoop almost resulted in Jerry O'Connell being named a defensive assistant instead of Jerry Olsavsky. You know, the fat kid from Stand By Me who bagged Rebecca Romijn. :P

Sometimes when you mess with the space time continuum you get burned. Congrats to
Jerry O'Connell though. In 1986 my TMZ almanac dubbed Corey Feldman as the future
Mr. Rebecca Romijn Stamos. Something must have happened in the continuum that
led to this alternate future.

RuthlessBurgher
01-29-2010, 05:00 PM
Wexell -

Sometimes when you mess with the space time continuum you get burned. Congrats to
Jerry O'Connell though. In 1986 my TMZ almanac dubbed Corey Feldman as the future
Mr. Rebecca Romijn Stamos. Something must have happened in the continuum that
led to this alternate future.

No, no, no...

Corey Feldman was supposed to die in a drug overdose as a teen.
River Phoenix was supposed to be Mr. Rebecca Romijn Stamos.
Jerry O'Connell was supposed to be on Star Trek: The Next Generation.
Wil Wheaton was supposed to be in a bunch of bad movies with Corey Haim.

And this thread was supposed to be about Steeler defensive coaches, not child actors of the 80's. D@mn space time continuum.

MeetJoeGreene
01-29-2010, 05:52 PM

:D

PHOTOSHOP AHEAD!!! :D :D :tt1 :tt2

devilsdancefloor
01-29-2010, 06:19 PM
well he does look like he can still play! maybe he can help out the ST by knocking out bailey and putting on his old uniform