PDA

View Full Version : East-West Shrine Bowl Practice notes

Oviedo
01-19-2010, 11:26 AM
Already gave you a heads up to pay attention to this guy.

Perhaps the most impressive defensive lineman was local UCF product Torrell Troup, who had many scouts taking notice as he was able to get penetration on seemingly every play and dominated the smaller interior offensive linemen

Entire notes

East-West Shrine Practice Recap

By Charlie Bernstein
Editor-in-Chief
Posted Jan 18, 2010

The East-West Shrine game kicked off its first practice Monday afternoon as the all-stars from the East team competed in all types of drills, led by current Kansas City Chiefs defensive coordinator Romeo Crennel. Find out which players stood out in front of scouts and personnel as all 32 NFL teams were represented.

“Whenever you work with a group of players who have never played together it’s tough to get too many things done on the first day,” Crennel said. “The key is to keep things simple so that they can learn quickly. We don’t have much time before Saturday.”

The quarterback trio of Fordham’s John Skelton, Penn State’s Daryll Clark and Northwestern’s Mike Kafka aren’t at the top (or even the middle) of most mock drafts, but they certainly grabbed the attention of the NFL brass in attendance.

- Skelton possessed the best arm of the trio, and his quick setup and underneath accuracy was stellar. Skelton displayed an effortless throwing motion and had legitimate snap on the out routes.

- Daryll Clark struggled in all facets during the practice, as he was inaccurate on even the shortest of routes, and lacked the arm strength to throw anything deep or even moderate. Clark struggled in his drops, and had major struggles taking routine handoffs from center.

- Mike Kafka showed very good footwork and was accurate on all short to moderate length routes. He was able to put some zip on the football, but failed on a few of his longer throws during skeleton drills.

“I believe my best asset is my arm strength,” the small school star John Skelton said following practice. “I believe I can throw it as well as anyone.”

In any non-contact set of drills, running backs will normally look pretty good. This was certainly the case, as former University of Miami back Javarris James (cousin of Edgerrin) looked nimble in the hole, displayed good hands, and showed a nice burst. Connecticut’s Andre Dixon showed good size, although he appeared to run upright. Tulane’s Andre Anderson showed good footwork, but appeared to lack burst as he was unable to run away from defenders.

As a whole, the East team wide receivers were fairly underwhelming, as none could gather much separation when lined up against corners. The ultra-productive Freddie Barnes showed the best hands of the group, as what you’d expect from a player who set an FBS record with 155 receptions as a senior. Buffalo’s Naaman Roosevelt showed a good ability to run routes, but lacked top-end speed. Michigan State’s Blair White caught every ball that touched his hands but he too lacked suddenness you’d like to see from a big time receiver. Colgate’s Patrick Simonds was a big target at 6’5”, but his play hardly stood out.

Although there doesn’t appear to be an impact tight end on this particular roster, Army’s Ali Villanueva turned heads with his sheer mass as he stood 6’10” and weighs in at 285 lbs. Despite being an extremely large individual, Villanueva showed solid athleticism and good hands. His size alone should garner him some consideration as a late-round project.

There weren’t many one-on-one situations for the East offensive linemen, so it was difficult to tell which player was at fault in some situations. A player that played a near-perfect practice was Iowa’s Kyle Calloway. Calloway lined up at right tackle and stoned every lineman in front of him.

“I think the best thing I offer NFL teams is my versatility,” Calloway said. “I can play anywhere on the right side and I can even play at left tackle or guard.”

The headliner of the defensive ends was certainly Mississippi’s Greg Hardy, who is rated by many scouts as a potential first-round pick. The 6’5”, 270 lb. Hardy looks the part of an every downs defensive end, but he hardly stood out on the first practice day. Ohio State’s Doug Worthington and Connecticut’s Lindsey Witten had many cameo’s in the East backfield during the practice.

Perhaps the most impressive defensive lineman was local UCF product Torrell Troup, who had many scouts taking notice as he was able to get penetration on seemingly every play and dominated the smaller interior offensive linemen. Purdue’s Mike Neal also made plays consistently in the backfield.

“I had the first day jitters,” admitted East All-Star Torell Troup, a senior from nearby UCF. “But it was good to finally get out and hit someone. It’s been a long time since my last game. I was very anxious to start practice.”

Wisconsin linebacker O’Brien Schofield seemingly stole the show at his position as he showed not only great pass rush ability which was expected, but the ability to drop in coverage and make plays. USF linebacker Kion Wilson was also very quick to the football.

The top corner for the East team during this practice session was Clemson’s Chris Chancellor, who did his best Darrelle Revis impersonation. When any of the East receivers were lined up on “Chancellor Island,” they came away with incompletions or were stuck making a tackle. Virginia Tech’s pair of defensive backs Kam Chancellor and Stephan Virgil were stellar as they ran step for step with each of the perspective pass catchers lined up across from them.

RuthlessBurgher
01-19-2010, 11:39 AM
I was confused when I read your title, because I didn't think Senior Bowl practices started this early (that game is typically held the weekend prior to the Super Bowl). Alas, I was correct, Senior Bowl practices start next Monday...you are talking about the East-West Shrine game practices. It's all good. Information from both games is relevant.

phillyesq
01-19-2010, 12:00 PM
Is Troup a NT or DE prospect?

Oviedo
01-19-2010, 12:01 PM
I was confused when I read your title, because I didn't think Senior Bowl practices started this early (that game is typically held the weekend prior to the Super Bowl). Alas, I was correct, Senior Bowl practices start next Monday...you are talking about the East-West Shrine game practices. It's all good. Information from both games is relevant.

Fixed title.

steelernation77
01-19-2010, 12:21 PM
Calloway would be a solid mid-round pick. As some of you know, I'm a student at Iowa and I've seen a lot of Calloway. He reminds me of a slightly better version of Raven OG Marshal Yanda (who had a good season) in that he can play RT but his best fit is probably at OG. He's a tough run blocker, but struggles on the outside against speed rushers some. Still at OG he shouldn't have a problem handling the rush. He started at RT all season for Iowa, but against Georgia Tech in the Orange Bowl, we moved him inside because the Yellow Jackets have a 6-7 340+ DT, and he played well.

RuthlessBurgher
01-19-2010, 01:16 PM

He is listed at 6'3" and 315 lbs., making him a potential NT prospect.

But if you use the DT-gut-to-pregnancy analogy, Troup in college would be first trimester, Hampton in college would be second trimester, and Hampton in the pros would be third trimester. :lol:

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/ucf/sports/m-footbl/auto_action/3310576.jpeghttp://www.burntorangenation.com/images/admin/hampton.jpghttp://cdn.bleacherreport.com/images_root/slideshows/498/slideshow_49888/display_image.jpg

Oviedo
01-19-2010, 01:26 PM

But if you use the DT-gut-to-pregnancy analogy, Troup in college would be first trimester, Hampton in college would be second trimester, and Hampton in the pros would be third trimester. :lol:

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/ucf/sports/m-footbl/auto_action/3310576.jpeghttp://www.burntorangenation.com/images/admin/hampton.jpghttp://cdn.bleacherreport.com/images_root/slideshows/498/slideshow_49888/display_image.jpg

Troup played NT in UCF's 3-4 defense. He was very good at occupying two blockers. He is howver far more athletic than Hampton. Good lateral movement. I would say he is more Chris Hoke in style than Hampton.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
01-19-2010, 11:29 PM

I'd call ole' Casey about 17 months overdue. :lol:

PSU_dropout43
01-20-2010, 12:08 AM
Calloway would be a solid mid-round pick. As some of you know, I'm a student at Iowa and I've seen a lot of Calloway. He reminds me of a slightly better version of Raven OG Marshal Yanda (who had a good season) in that he can play RT but his best fit is probably at OG. He's a tough run blocker, but struggles on the outside against speed rushers some. Still at OG he shouldn't have a problem handling the rush. He started at RT all season for Iowa, but against Georgia Tech in the Orange Bowl, we moved him inside because the Yellow Jackets have a 6-7 340+ DT, and he played well.

I really like the CB from Iowa, Amari Spievey.

My brief mock draft:

1. Maurkice Pouncey, C
2. Amari Spievey, CB
3. FS
4. Andrew Quarless, TE

steelernation77
01-20-2010, 12:32 AM

My brief mock draft:

1. Maurkice Pouncey, C
2. Amari Spievey, CB
3. FS
4. Andrew Quarless, TE

I love Spievey. He's one of the best college corners I've ever seen.

costanza2k1
01-20-2010, 02:16 AM
"how much your dog surgery was?"
http://cdn.bleacherreport.com/images_root/slideshows/498/slideshow_49888/display_image.jpg

Shawn
01-20-2010, 05:00 AM
O...what round do you see Troup going in?

Oviedo
01-20-2010, 09:37 AM

I would guess Round 4 right now. I could see him rising into late Round 3 with solid workouts and a good Shrine Game.

NTs are going to be overdrafted because guys coming out of college with experience playing a true NT position are becoming a premium. I just hope Burnett turns the scouts onto to this kid and the time the staff spent at UCF looking at Burnett (they were reportedly here several times) gave them some insights.

Chadman
01-20-2010, 09:44 AM

I would guess Round 4 right now. I could see him rising into late Round 3 with solid workouts and a good Shrine Game.

NTs are going to be overdrafted because guys coming out of college with experience playing a true NT position are becoming a premium. I just hope Burnett turns the scouts onto to this kid and the time the staff spent at UCF looking at Burnett (they were reportedly here several times) gave them some insights.

Was going to say the same thing- pure 3-4 NT's will go higher than they probably should. Cody will go high, Williams will be a mid 1st. Troupe could go even as high as late 2nd if he works out well.

One guy Chadman has an eye on is Boo Williams. Lost a bunch of weight to play last year at 295 lbs, but prior to that was up around 320 lbs. Plays at a good level, and with his weight down, might slip under a few teams noses as far as his NT ability goes.

Oviedo
01-20-2010, 09:46 AM
Tuesday's Practcie Notes. Note again that Troup was seen as "dominant." Javarris James, RB from Miami has looked good. CB Chris Chancellor from Clemson has been solid and has impressed. DB Barry Church from Toledo also looked good and projects as possible FS.

Tuesday Practice Recap - East

By Charlie Bernstein
Editor-in-Chief
Posted Jan 19, 2010

It was a “Chamber of Commerce” type of day in Orlando Tuesday morning as the East team took the sun-splashed field for practice. Some of the top executives in attendance were Miami’s Bill Parcells, Jacksonville’s brain trust of Gene Smith and Jack Del Rio, as well as Tampa Bay head coach Raheem Morris and Kansas City head coach Todd Haley.

The practice opened up with some quarterback drills, and Fordham gunslinger John Skelton once again showed off his stellar arm strength. It wouldn’t be Skelton who most of the scouts would come away impressed by, but Northwestern’s Mike Kafka. Although nobody is going to get Kafka’s arm strength confused with Peyton Manning or Joe Flacco, Kafka put enough zip on the ball to throw the out patterns, and he great touch and accuracy on deep balls. Penn State’s Daryll Clark had a better day than he did yesterday as he showed more underneath accuracy, but he still struggled throwing anything farther than 15 yards, and simply doesn’t possess the arm to throw the out pattern.

Running back Javarris James continued his solid running as he was very quick through some of the limited openings in the defense, and he did a fine job of catching the ball out of the backfield. After a mediocre at best practice on Monday, Tulane’s Andre Anderson made some big plays Tuesday and showed a great set of hands. Connecticut’s Andre Dixon seemed to take a step back as he danced quite a bit instead of hitting the holes with force.

“I can catch, I can block, obviously I can run and I can also pick up protections,” James said when asked about what he’s showing potential NFL employers. “I feel like I’m a complete back.”

We had a fullback sighting as LSU’s Richard Dixon caught every pass thrown his way, including a one handed snare as he was getting hit by defenders. Dixon showed that he isn’t afraid to scratch up his helmet, and his 6’3”, 244 lb. frame will likely get him some second day draft consideration.

On Tuesday, we saw a pair of tight ends come to the forefront as Penn State’s Andrew Quarless and Army’s Ali Villanueva impressed some of the famous on-lookers. Quarless not only caught everything throw his way, but also showed great speed and moves when turning up field. Villanueva attracts attention just by his mere 6’10”, 285 lb. frame, but when he moves around, he plays like a player who would be much smaller and more nimble. Again Villanueva displayed great hands during the session.

“I offer versatility at tight end,” Quarless said when asked about what he brings to an NFL team. “To be able to stretch the middle of the field and also be able to come down and really smack an end right in the face. You have to be able to do that to be an all-around tight end.”

Three wide receivers stood out in practice and perhaps the most impressive was Buffalo’s Naaman Roosevelt. Roosevelt caught every pass thrown his way flawlessly, and showed an ability to get separation and then suddenness when lined up in the slot. Michigan State’s Blair White may not look the part of a typical wide receiver, but he did his best Kevin Walter imitation, catching everything thrown his way and running excellent routes. Finally, Freddie Barnes again showed why he was a record-setting pass catcher at Bowling Green as he plucked everything throw near him.

The offensive line had a standout performance from Rutgers Kevin Haslam. The 6’5”, 296 lb. tackle was mostly overshadowed this season by his fellow bookend, Anthony Davis, but Haslam helped make a name for himself as he repeatedly stoned oncoming defenders, including the highly rated Greg Hardy. Iowa’s Kyle Calloway continued his fantastic play, and Tennessee tackle Chris Scott more than held his own. Indiana’s Roger Saffold, III also had his way with Hardy on more than one occasion.

Defensively, UCF’s Torrell Troup was again dominant as he was often double-teamed in full 11-on-11 drills and still was able to get into the backfield and cause disruption. Purdue’s Mike Neal collapsed the pocket on many occasions, as did Virginia’s Nate Collins.

“I’m just working hard and trying to get some of this good coaching out here to make me a better player,” Troup said.

On the outside, N.C. State’s Willie Young was able to get good pressure off the edge and even sniffed out a well set up screen play. Ohio State’s Doug Worthington showed an ability to attack with purpose and still be fundamentally correct, signs of great coaching from a great college program. Virginia’s Nate Collins also was able to make plays in the backfield and even had a pass defensed. Connecticut’s Lindsey Witten showed himself to be lightning quick off the snap and he was able to give most of the left tackles a hard time at practice.

University of South Florida linebacker Kion Wilson was able to make plays all over the football field, as was Wisconsin’s O’Brien Schofield, who continues to impress the scouts. Navy’s Ross Pospisil was caught out of position on several plays, and didn’t really look athletic enough to succeed in anything more than a special teams role.

"I need to work on my footwork and the bag drills," Schofield said when asked what he can learn and do better. "I think the linebacker position will come with experience and reps."

In the secondary, the Virginia Tech duo of Stephen Virgil and Kam Chancellor were able to make plays, and Toledo’s Barry Church found himself in great position often which caused errant throws. Clemson’s Chris Chancellor was given Darrelle Revis treatment, as he was rarely challenged on day two after a stellar Monday practice.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
01-20-2010, 09:59 AM

My brief mock draft:

1. Maurkice Pouncey, C
2. Amari Spievey, CB
3. FS
4. Andrew Quarless, TE

I like Pouncey but not at 18...The pick better be on the defensive side. I'm guesing DT, ILB, S, or CB @ #1. I would love to have Pouncey for the future. If he falls to us in the 2nd...Sure why not.

I also like Spievey. I am a PSU fan so I saw him play a few. With a good combine he might not be around at #2. All for it if he is there if they don't take a CB #1.

Decent S class so if they don't address it at #1 or #2 I would say it could happen here. I really wouldn't be shocked at all if the first three picks were all on the defensive side.

Quarless could be a steal if he just continues to walk a straight line. Some people say if he just played football at PSU and stayed out of trouble...He might be one of the first TEs picked in this years draft. If you are going to give Ben more weapons...He could be a good fit. Some are predicting Quarless could fall later but a solid combine might improve his status.

Oviedo
01-20-2010, 10:13 AM
[quote=steelernation77]Calloway would be a solid mid-round pick. As some of you know, I'm a student at Iowa and I've seen a lot of Calloway. He reminds me of a slightly better version of Raven OG Marshal Yanda (who had a good season) in that he can play RT but his best fit is probably at OG. He's a tough run blocker, but struggles on the outside against speed rushers some. Still at OG he shouldn't have a problem handling the rush. He started at RT all season for Iowa, but against Georgia Tech in the Orange Bowl, we moved him inside because the Yellow Jackets have a 6-7 340+ DT, and he played well.

My brief mock draft:

1. Maurkice Pouncey, C
2. Amari Spievey, CB
3. FS
4. Andrew Quarless, TE

I like Pouncey but not at 18...The pick better be on the defensive side. I'm guesing DT, ILB, S, or CB @ #1. I would love to have Pouncey for the future. If he falls to us in the 2nd...Sure why not.

I also like Spievey. I am a PSU fan so I saw him play a few. With a good combine he might not be around at #2. All for it if he is there if they don't take a CB #1.

Decent S class so if they don't address it at #1 or #2 I would say it could happen here. I really wouldn't be shocked at all if the first three picks were all on the defensive side.

Quarless could be a steal if he just continues to walk a straight line. Some people say if he just played football at PSU and stayed out of trouble...He might be one of the first TEs picked in this years draft. If you are going to give Ben more weapons...He could be a good fit. Some are predicting Quarless could fall later but a solid combine might improve his status.[/quote:3mv8j4l1]

The only CB rated near #18 is Joe Haden from Florida and he is likely to be gone. The second best CB in the draft, Patrick Robinson from FSU, is a late Round 1-early Round 2 pick. Picking a CB at #18 not named Joe Haden would be a very big reach. Don't see that happening. IMO, it is more likely we get a CB in Round 2 or 3.

We could go Safety but that depends on whether they retain Ryan Clark. Typically unless you draft Troy P type talent you don't go after Safeties in Mid Round 1 and this is a very deep class at the Safety position through Round 3-4.

So what could be left? ILB is a possibility and the best is McClain from Alabama but he is probably a top 10 pick. That leave Brandon Spikes from Florida who would be a good pick. DL/NT is a possibility but the best DTs are going in the top 10. Everyone mentions Dan Williams from Tenn. but #18 is probably early for him. Again this is a deep class on the DL so you can get good talent later.

IMO that leaves us looking on the offensive side of the ball. Everyone's heads will explode if we select offense in Round 1 but logically it may make more sense than the emotional choice to select defense. Just look at our systems. Rookies can come in and contribute on the offensive side of the ball as rookies, e.g. Wallace, Mendenhall until he got hurt, etc. it seems almost no way rookies can do anything their rookie year on the defensive side of the ball so is that value at #18. IMO only if you get a DB who can be a returner.

So right now I would not ignore we take RB (CJ Spiller), OL, or even TE (Jermane Gresham) at #18. IMO Spiller would be an immediate impact player running, receiving and returning. Think a more durable Percy Harvin.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
01-20-2010, 11:09 AM
[quote=steelernation77]Calloway would be a solid mid-round pick. As some of you know, I'm a student at Iowa and I've seen a lot of Calloway. He reminds me of a slightly better version of Raven OG Marshal Yanda (who had a good season) in that he can play RT but his best fit is probably at OG. He's a tough run blocker, but struggles on the outside against speed rushers some. Still at OG he shouldn't have a problem handling the rush. He started at RT all season for Iowa, but against Georgia Tech in the Orange Bowl, we moved him inside because the Yellow Jackets have a 6-7 340+ DT, and he played well.

My brief mock draft:

1. Maurkice Pouncey, C
2. Amari Spievey, CB
3. FS
4. Andrew Quarless, TE

Quarless could be a steal if he just continues to walk a straight line. Some people say if he just played football at PSU and stayed out of trouble...He might be one of the first TEs picked in this years draft. If you are going to give Ben more weapons...He could be a good fit. Some are predicting Quarless could fall later but a solid combine might improve his status.

The only CB rated near #18 is Joe Haden from Florida and he is likely to be gone. The second best CB in the draft, Patrick Robinson from FSU, is a late Round 1-early Round 2 pick. Picking a CB at #18 not named Joe Haden would be a very big reach. Don't see that happening. IMO, it is more likely we get a CB in Round 2 or 3.

We could go Safety but that depends on whether they retain Ryan Clark. Typically unless you draft Troy P type talent you don't go after Safeties in Mid Round 1 and this is a very deep class at the Safety position through Round 3-4.

So what could be left? ILB is a possibility and the best is McClain from Alabama but he is probably a top 10 pick. That leave Brandon Spikes from Florida who would be a good pick. DL/NT is a possibility but the best DTs are going in the top 10. Everyone mentions Dan Williams from Tenn. but #18 is probably early for him. Again this is a deep class on the DL so you can get good talent later.

IMO that leaves us looking on the offensive side of the ball. Everyone's heads will explode if we select offense in Round 1 but logically it may make more sense than the emotional choice to select defense. Just look at our systems. Rookies can come in and contribute on the offensive side of the ball as rookies, e.g. Wallace, Mendenhall until he got hurt, etc. it seems almost no way rookies can do anything their rookie year on the defensive side of the ball so is that value at #18. IMO only if you get a DB who can be a returner.

So right now I would not ignore we take RB (CJ Spiller), OL, or even TE (Jermane Gresham) at #18. IMO Spiller would be an immediate impact player running, receiving and returning. Think a more durable Percy Harvin.[/quote:dp727ete]

The positions I posted were based on grades. I'm not suggesting they take a guy at this position just because of need. I feel the highest rated guys on the Steelers board will be on the defensive side of the ball at this point. The one offensive player that I would consider is Spiller but he most likely will be gone. No to WR, TE, QB, FB, G, & C at #18. Perhaps an OT if it looks like Colon is unsignable past 2010. We might even see them trade back for Thomas, Williams, or Robinson if their guys are off the board. Don't be surprised if ILB and/or OLB is considered after McClain is gone. Also, Clark being here will not stop them from taking a S early. They have no depth and Clark is on the wrong side of 30 and Troy is knocking on the door.

RuthlessBurgher
01-20-2010, 01:34 PM

I don't think Patrick Robinson is the #2 CB. I prefer Donovan Warren and Brandon Ghee to Robinson (although I agree that I wouldn't necessary want to draft any CB other than Haden at #18).

grotonsteel
01-20-2010, 02:47 PM

My brief mock draft:

1. Maurkice Pouncey, C
2. Amari Spievey, CB
3. FS
4. Andrew Quarless, TE

I love Spievey. He's one of the best college corners I've ever seen.

If Amari Spievey runs a sub 4.5 i think he could be a late 1st Round player.

Norm Parker on Amari:

he's the best DB Norm has ever coached in Iowa.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPGGFhvpUxI

grotonsteel
01-20-2010, 02:50 PM
http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Eas ... egins.html (http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/EastWest-Shrine-practice-begins.html)

Two Up

Purdue DT Mike Neal and Ohio State DL Doug Worthington both made good first impressions on me Monday. Neal is a natural bender who displays an explosive first step and good power on contact, while Worthington looks like one of the most technically sound defensive linemen here. He does a great job staying low and balanced out of his stance while extending his long arms into contact, and even though he might lack ideal bulk to hold up inside at the next level, at nearly 6-5 and 288 pounds, he projects nicely as a potential five-technique guy.

Two down

Two defensive linemen who did not start the week with favorable impressions were North Carolina State’s Willie Young and Connecticut’s Lindsey Witten. Both are tall, long-armed defensive ends who definitely pass the eyeball test walking on the field. But neither is a natural bender, and both struggle to play with leverage and power on contact. Plus, both players are thin in their lower halves and didn’t exhibit the type of athleticism needed to make up for their lack of power/technique.

Small school can sling it

John Skelton, Fordham’s standout quarterback, is a tall drink of water who can really spin the football. He throws a tight, clean spiral even when asked to drive the ball outside the numbers and displays much more polished footwork than expected, generating a lot of power from his lower half once his back foot hits the ground. He isn’t the most gifted athlete and struggles with his accuracy when asked to reset his feet and quickly realign his body into throws, but he has a good physical skill set and looks like one of the more intriguing senior quarterback prospects in the draft.

A rough first go

Daryll Clark APPenn State QB Daryll Clark

Penn State quarterback Daryll Clark had a tough time finding any type of a rhythm on Monday. Clark isn’t a real decisive quarterback and struggles to be efficient with the ball when he doesn’t see the throw. But what really puzzles me is how sloppy his footwork can be for such a good athlete. He has a tendency to consistently lose his base in the pocket, and his accuracy suffers because of it.

Penn State pride

One bright spot for Penn State on Monday was tight end Andrew Quarless, who is far and away the most explosive TE on the East roster. His ability to fire out of his stance and get down the seam was a real eye opener, and he definitely looks like someone who can make plays vertically at the next level. The biggest concern I have with him is his awareness off the snap and his ability to consistently get off the ball on time. But overall, it was a productive first day for Quarless.

West team

Small school in a big package

Speaking of productive first days for tight ends, Eastern Washington’s Nathan Overbay had a solid initial practice. Overbay is a big kid who displayed a good feel for coverage, hauling in three tough grabs in practice and being the most productive target in the West passing game. He isn’t an explosive downfield athlete, but he’s a smooth/coordinated route runner who adjusts well to the football and knows how to extend and pluck away from his frame.

Change hurts

Arizona State DE Dexter Davis is trying to prove to NFL teams that he can make the transition to OLB if needed, but it wasn’t a productive start for him Monday. Davis isn’t a gifted athlete to begin with, and he really looked stiff when asked to get a bump on tight ends off the line and play in space. He consistently struggled to stay with BYU tight end Dennis Pitta any time the two were matched up, and he didn’t exhibit the type of fluidity needed to make me feel he can play in space as a 3-4 OLB in the NFL.

Safety dance

Oregon safety T.J. Ward isn’t the biggest or most physical athlete playing the position here, but the guy is an instinctive football player who knows how to decipher information and get after the ball. He displayed impressive bend, footwork and overall fluidity in coverage Monday and has the ability to redirect, accelerate and quickly close on the play. He has a tendency to get caught ball-watching and will take himself out of plays at times freelancing, but he looks like a player at the next level.

Kansas safety Darrell Stuckey possesses an ideal build for the position and showcased some natural closing speed once he got out of his breaks. However, he looked stiff in his drop and struggled to keep his feet under him when asked to click and close on the ball. He’s a safety who has the ability to put himself around the action in the pass game, but he doesn’t look like a guy who will be able to make many plays on the ball the next level.

Utah safety Robert Johnson isn’t a prospect you can get a good feel for without pads on because he’s a big hitter who does a good job closing on the ball and creating collisions on contact. However, the one thing that really stood out to me about the 6-2 safety was how thin he was in his lower half. Johnson possesses stick-like calves, and although he displays good pop when launching himself at receivers in the secondary, he doesn’t look like a guy who will be able to generate much power when asked to break down and tackle inside the box.

RuthlessBurgher
01-20-2010, 03:09 PM
In my sig mock, I did not have room for another 3-4 DE prospect after suggesting that we draft a NT, ILB, OLB, CB, and FS in those 7 picks, but since we should be getting a few day 3 supplementary draft picks, I could see adding Doug Worthington as a prospect worth looking into on the third day of the draft (Day 3 that still sounds weird, eh?).

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
01-20-2010, 05:23 PM
In my sig mock, I did not have room for another 3-4 DE prospect after suggesting that we draft a NT, ILB, OLB, CB, and FS in those 7 picks, but since we should be getting a few day 3 supplementary draft picks, I could see adding Doug Worthington as a prospect worth looking into on the third day of the draft (Day 3 that still sounds weird, eh?).
Speaking of your sig mock...I see Micah Johnson. I was wondering if he caught your eye the same way I became interested in him....When the Steelers signed his teammate from Kentucky. I was looking around the internet for info on Williams when I saw this freak. I was thinking the Steelers might have some film on him too. This guy... "Looks like Tarzan!" I too would like him in a Steelers uniform if they miss out on McClain or Spikes.

RuthlessBurgher
01-20-2010, 05:39 PM
That's the first I've seen that picture. I was just looking for ILB prospects with mid-round grades and found the following scouting report. Sounds like good value to me if we can get him around where I projected him in the middle of the draft.

http://www.walterfootball.com/scoutingreport2010mjohnson.php

Micah Johnson, 6-2/254

Inside Linebacker

Kentucky

Micah Johnson Scouting Report
By Matt McGuire

Strengths:
Good height for position
Thick, cut, muscular frame
Highly athletic
Explosive
Good agility and can change directions quickly
Shows coordination and flexibility
Very strong and powerful
Sideline-to-sideline ability
Always around the football
Active
Fluid hips and can cover tight ends
Displays great range in zone
A productive playmaker
Tough
Versatile; any scheme player
Improved his ability when taking angles to the football
Stack-and-shed linebacker
Poised and under control
High upside
Nice overall skill set

Weaknesses:
Might lack some instincts
Talent hasn't always shown through on field
Doesn't have great timed speed
A little inconsistent
Could be a more effective blitzer
Needs to improve reaction skills
Minor durability concerns

Summary: Johnson is a linebacker with a very high upside, but hasn't caught the full attention of NFL scouts quite yet. If he can stay healthy next season, I think he is going to move up draft boards because of his impressive skill set and high upside.

Player Comparison: Jon Beason. Their body frames, physical approach to the game and range are very similar.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
01-21-2010, 09:20 AM
Here's draftscout. If you scroll down there are highlight videos of his play on Youtube.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dc7RoALOZfM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGUlgQ2Q ... re=related (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGUlgQ2Q_Sw&feature=related)

calmkiller
01-21-2010, 09:47 AM
Its the most wonderful time of the year!

WOOT Draft Discussion!!!

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/EastWest-Shrine-practice-begins.html

Penn State pride

One bright spot for Penn State on Monday was tight end Andrew Quarless, who is far and away the most explosive TE on the East roster. His ability to fire out of his stance and get down the seam was a real eye opener, and he definitely looks like someone who can make plays vertically at the next level. The biggest concern I have with him is his awareness off the snap and his ability to consistently get off the ball on time. But overall, it was a productive first day for Quarless.

Yea....but can he block. I could care less at this point if the TE can catch. We need a TE that can block. We already have Heath. And Spaeth was supposed to be a pass catching TE.....I don't want anymore. We need a blocking TE.

Oviedo
01-21-2010, 11:15 AM
Its the most wonderful time of the year!

WOOT Draft Discussion!!!

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/EastWest-Shrine-practice-begins.html

Penn State pride

Yea....but can he block. I could care less at this point if the TE can catch. We need a TE that can block. We already have Heath. And Spaeth was supposed to be a pass catching TE.....I don't want anymore. We need a blocking TE.

If looking for blocking then Quarless is not your player. You'd be better looking at Nate Byham from Pitt or even Micky Shuler is you want a Penn State player. If you want a pass catcher and TE IMO the best will turn out to be Pitta from BYU. He will be the next Dallas Clark...just my opinion.

Mister Pittsburgh
01-21-2010, 01:28 PM

I'd call ole' Casey about 17 months overdue. :lol:

Can we call him Octo-Snack? :shock: :D