PDA

View Full Version : Incentivizing games for teams with locked playoff seeding

SteelAbility
01-18-2010, 04:11 PM
I've been thinking about this whole "rest the starters" BS that can artificially affect playoff scenarios. The league needs to start offering incentives to teams whose playoff position is locked to win games. This will maximize the number of meaningful games and introduce the least amount of artificiality into playoff scenarios.

NOTE: I'm not begrudging the Jets. Read my posts. You'll see I'm high on the Jets. I'm rooting for them to win the SB. I think it would be real poetic justice if they win it, particularly if they beat Minnesota in the big dance. ;)

INCENTIVES

I'm thinking these will have to be awarded for "wins in games that have no effect on playoff seeding" and could come in several forms ...

1. If the team is locked at the #1 seed, then they could be offered choice of opponent coming out of the Wild Card round, instead of lowest-seed. So, now a team can pick an opponent who is on the decline or missing a key starter. Conversely, they could avoid an opponent with whom they don't match up well (e.g. IND doesn't match up well with HOU) or avoid a team that is really peaking. Or they could stick two really evenly matched teams with each other in a super physical wear/tear divisional playoff.

2. They could get week16, week17 MNF games NEXT SEASON giving them the option of seeing how things play out. So, they could have the option of resting key starters next year if absolutely necessary.

3. They could get additional Thursday Night games NEXT SEASON. Playing on Thursday is an advantage as your TNF opponent also has the short week, but you get 10 days rest to 7 days rest for your next opponent.

4. Advantage in the "floating games." Every team plays two "adjust games" against the divisions in the same conference where they don't play everybody. You play the teams that finished in the same positional standing within division that you did. Well, you could offer "choice of teams" as an incentive or you could give them teams that are 1 notch down from same-standing (everyone else adjusts).

Any other ideas out there?

Shawn
01-18-2010, 04:52 PM
1) I like...I think that could work...and maybe it should already work that way. But, what keeps the number 2 from laying down?

2 and 3) I'm not crazy about the idea of strengthening a championship team next season. Generally, we give the advantage next season to those teams that do poorly. I like it that way.

4) I don't think I understand that scenerio.

Iron Shiek
01-18-2010, 05:14 PM
I've always backed the "pick your opponent" reward for top seeded teams. That would definitely spice things up and possibly create new rivalries. think of a team basically getting called out. It would bring out a new fire in them perhaps. I favor this in all sports playoff systems.

feltdizz
01-18-2010, 05:41 PM
I've always backed the "pick your opponent" reward for top seeded teams. That would definitely spice things up and possibly create new rivalries. think of a team basically getting called out. It would bring out a new fire in them perhaps. I favor this in all sports playoff systems.
I think resting your starters pretty much is picking who you want to play.. or not play. Look at Wes Welker... If I'm a cheat fan I'm mad Welker was hurt in a meaningless game. I think winning a top seed or a division should have a reward. I don't think any team cares about incentives for next year except for draft picks.. and since the goal is a SB and the 32nd pick... I think it's fine the way it is. If we are the top seed next year I doubt we want our starters playing all out in a meaningless game that puts the Pats* or Colts in the 6th seed.

Win games and control your own destiny. Fans may get the shaft but any true fan knows the last 2 weeks are a gamble.

Iron Shiek
01-18-2010, 05:51 PM
I think resting your starters pretty much is picking who you want to play.. or not play. Look at Wes Welker... If I'm a cheat fan I'm mad Welker was hurt in a meaningless game. I think winning a top seed or a division should have a reward. I don't think any team cares about incentives for next year except for draft picks.. and since the goal is a SB and the 32nd pick... I think it's fine the way it is. If we are the top seed next year I doubt we want our starters playing all out in a meaningless game that puts the Pats* or Colts in the 6th seed.

Win games and control your own destiny. Fans may get the shaft but any true fan knows the last 2 weeks are a gamble.

Yeah, you are most likely right. But for fans sake, it would be reeeaaaally sweet if they had the "Selection Show" Monday after the regular season ended. Cameras at every team's complex with the Coach making the announcement of which team they pick to play. then interviews with coaches/players afterwards. Plus fanbases can argue about getting called out. Would create a lot of drama and make the matchups more juicy.

Geez, that makes it sound like I watch wrestling or something everyday. But I don't....

Oh well, it sounds cool anyway.

Shawn
01-18-2010, 06:01 PM
[quote="Iron Shiek":3hh63zg8]I've always backed the "pick your opponent" reward for top seeded teams. That would definitely spice things up and possibly create new rivalries. think of a team basically getting called out. It would bring out a new fire in them perhaps. I favor this in all sports playoff systems.

Yeah, you are most likely right. But for fans sake, it would be reeeaaaally sweet if they had the "Selection Show" Monday after the regular season ended. Cameras at every team's complex with the Coach making the announcement of which team they pick to play. then interviews with coaches/players afterwards. Plus fanbases can argue about getting called out. Would create a lot of drama and make the matchups more juicy.

Geez, that makes it sound like I watch wrestling or something everyday. But I don't....

Oh well, it sounds cool anyway.[/quote:3hh63zg8]

I would love to see Harrison slobbering into the mic..."oooo yeah we are goin' to wipe the floor with those pussies". Hey adding a wrestling element isn't a terrible idea. :D

feltdizz
01-18-2010, 06:02 PM
They could charge ppv for that selection show... lol

Iron Shiek
01-18-2010, 06:03 PM
Seriously, make it like a 2 hour special...HUUUGE ratings.

Shawn
01-18-2010, 06:05 PM
They could have staged press conference fights to amp up the hype. Harrison and Ray Ray...who wouldn't pay to see that right thur! :tt1

Iron Shiek
01-18-2010, 06:07 PM
Bring back Pipers Pit! And then have Casey Hampton come out and turn on Troy Polamalu...

HAHA

Shawn
01-18-2010, 06:12 PM
Bring back Pipers Pit! And then have Casey Hampton come out and turn on Troy Polamalu...

HAHA

Now that's what I'm talkin' about! You might be onto a billion dollar idea. :D

tomco09
01-18-2010, 07:12 PM
Here's an idea, any team that rests starters for a play-off game should forfeit roster spots next season. In other words next season you can only have 44 roster spots if you rest one player, so on and so forth. This way if a starter goes down you may have to dip into the practice squad, it'll create more competition and after all the whole reason you have back-ups is for them to step in when the starter goes down
These games may seem worthless to 1st and 2nd seeded teams but what about teams that walk play-offs from that BS. The integrity of the game is compromised.

Look at it this way, do you go to a pre-season game and drop $80-90 bucks a ticket to see back-ups? than why should it be ok now? What about the fact that they want to extend the season to 18 games ? Should starters not play the last 3 or 4 games because it's worthless ?

Just an idea

RuthlessBurgher
01-18-2010, 07:14 PM
The league you describe already existed. But after Tommy Maddox won league MVP inits only season, they folded.

Iron Shiek
01-18-2010, 07:26 PM
Here's an idea, any team that rests starters for a play-off game should forfeit roster spots next season. In other words next season you can only have 44 roster spots if you rest one player, so on and so forth. This way if a starter goes down you may have to dip into the practice squad, it'll create more competition and after all the whole reason you have back-ups is for them to step in when the starter goes down
These games may seem worthless to 1st and 2nd seeded teams but what about teams that walk play-offs from that BS. The integrity of the game is compromised.

Look at it this way, do you go to a pre-season game and drop $80-90 bucks a ticket to see back-ups? than why should it be ok now? What about the fact that they want to extend the season to 18 games ? Should starters not play the last 3 or 4 games because it's worthless ?

You won't be able to prove it. These teams will just put their starters on the Injury Report with "strained labia" or "ruptured cuticle" or "pulled mangina". It would never work! :shock:

Just an idea

RuthlessBurgher
01-18-2010, 07:32 PM
Season ticket holders do pay the same price for preseason games as we do for regular season games.

Discipline of Steel
01-18-2010, 07:33 PM
The problem is, none of these incentives would have a bearing on a team that has locked up the #1 or #2 seed. They could win the prize (extra draft picks, pick an opponent, whatever) and still rest their starters. The benefits would have to be attched to 'meaningless games', and they would have to remain in the current year because we dont want to overbalance the league with any dominant teams except the Steelers :tt1

For instance, each 'meaningless game' a team wins gives them another roster spot for the duration of their run through the playoffs.

Or even more crude, each meaningless game won splits a $1,000,000 bonus from the league between all players and coaches.

Give them a palatable incentive that doesnt affect the balance of the league.

papillon
01-18-2010, 07:45 PM
The only thing that bothered me about this year's "resting of starters" was that the Colts started the game as if they wanted to win it and then decided to call it quits. The reward for securing the #1 seed is having the option to rest your starters if you choose to do so. Change nothing, earn the privilege and move into the playoffs, these teams do not owe anything to any other team in the league.

Win your games and get into the playoffs, lose your games and you have to count on the good teams' backups to win a game, too bad. The Steelers have no one to blame but themselves for this year's disappointing finish.

Season ticket holders understand that week 17 may been a pre-season game. The Colts fans were upset, because, they had a chance at history. I'd be upset as well if the Steelers bailed on an undefeated season in week 16. Even if they (the Colts) win the SB this year, they'll be just another SB winner, nothing special.

Pappy

BURGH86STEEL
01-18-2010, 08:05 PM
The only thing that bothered me about this year's "resting of starters" was that the Colts started the game as if they wanted to win it and then decided to call it quits. The reward for securing the #1 seed is having the option to rest your starters if you choose to do so. Change nothing, earn the privilege and move into the playoffs, these teams do not owe anything to any other team in the league.

Win your games and get into the playoffs, lose your games and you have to count on the good teams' backups to win a game, too bad. The Steelers have no one to blame but themselves for this year's disappointing finish.

Season ticket holders understand that week 17 may been a pre-season game. The Colts fans were upset, because, they had a chance at history. I'd be upset as well if the Steelers bailed on an undefeated season in week 16. Even if they win the SB this year, they'll be just another SB winner, nothing special.

Pappy

I agree with you on this one. Teams earn the right to rest their starters. Goodell is trying to micro manage everything.

Shoe
01-18-2010, 08:12 PM
The league you describe already existed. But after Tommy Maddox won league MVP inits only season, they folded.

Haha... great comment. Tommy Maddox and He Hate Me. Two players who really parlayed their time in the league.

Chadman
01-18-2010, 08:29 PM
Ok, Chadman can see the frustration we have with teams resting starters after being guarenteed a play-off position...but....

Lets say we find a system that forces teams to play their stars in the last couple of rounds, regardless of the importance of those games....

and lets say the Steelers are a team that are playing meaningless games, but are forced to play the stars...

And lets say the Steelers are odds on to win the SB, and they attract the biggest crowds & TV ratings in the country...

and lets say Ben gets his head knocked off by a 2nd rate LB from Cleveland, ending Ben's season, and killing the Steelers chance of winning the SB...in a game that means nothing...

Tell Chadman this- how does that sit with the Steeler fans? The TV watching nation? The NFL bean counters that just saw the biggest SB drawcard get hurt for no reason?

Winning your division gives you the reward of being able to rest your starters. It's not a bad thing.

feltdizz
01-18-2010, 10:27 PM
Last year the OT rule with Manning was the big debate... This year it's his perfect season ruined.. I'm tired of all this whining over this guy... lol. Now the fans are doing the Manning face.

I think the Colts tried to put up enough in the first half to win but Peyton is so selfish the backup looked like it was his first snap of training camp. Fans will complain regardless but Caldwell would catch hell if they went 16-0 and still fell short. I don't think any of our SB's are just any old SB. 19-0 is nice but 18-1 is the butt of many jokes.

BradshawsHairdresser
01-19-2010, 01:37 AM

Season ticket holders understand that week 17 may been a pre-season game. The Colts fans were upset, because, they had a chance at history. I'd be upset as well if the Steelers bailed on an undefeated season in week 16. Even if they (the Colts) win the SB this year, they'll be just another SB winner, nothing special.

Pappy

$$$$$ Dead on.

SteelAbility
01-19-2010, 08:32 AM
The problem is, none of these incentives would have a bearing on a team that has locked up the #1 or #2 seed. They could win the prize (extra draft picks, pick an opponent, whatever) and still rest their starters. The benefits would have to be attched to 'meaningless games', and they would have to remain in the current year because we dont want to overbalance the league with any dominant teams except the Steelers :tt1

For instance, each 'meaningless game' a team wins gives them another roster spot for the duration of their run through the playoffs.

Or even more crude, each meaningless game won splits a $1,000,000 bonus from the league between all players and coaches.

Give them a palatable incentive that doesnt affect the balance of the league.

The idea is that it is only rewarded for a win. So, yes, you could rest your starters and still win. It does happen. But you have to get the win to get the reward, which means that if you want the reward you play to win.

I like the roster spot ideas both giving the extra through the playoffs or taking one away for the next year (or a portion of the next year).

I also like the money idea. Somehow I think $1M won't cut it though. It comes out to about an $18K bonus that you might not get but risk key injury. I'm thinking about 3 to four times that wouldn't be a bad idea. Plus the league would more than make its money back in the fact that a meaningful game was played.