PDA

View Full Version : Revis vs Timmons

steelz09
01-18-2010, 08:53 AM
I can't believe we missed out on Revis and drafted Timmons. Now, I think Timmons will be a good player but Revis is a great player.

He'll be the next Champ Baily for probably the next 10 years where the offenses are obviously given the advantage.

By the way, who "spilled the beans" and allowed people to know we were going to pick Revis if available? Which, inevitably gave the Jets the ability to trade up to the spot before us to draft him?

SteelBucks
01-18-2010, 09:03 AM
I can't believe we missed out on Revis and drafted Timmons. Now, I think Timmons will be a good player but Revis is a great player.

He'll be the next Champ Baily for probably the next 10 years where the offenses are obviously given the advantage.

By the way, who "spilled the beans" and allowed people to know we were going to pick Revis if available? Which, inevitably gave the Jets the ability to trade up to the spot before us to draft him?

IMO, the Steelers were going to draft Timmons regardless.

SidSmythe
01-18-2010, 09:27 AM

IMO, the Steelers were going to draft Timmons regardless.

I don't know about that. The JETS traded up awfully far to jump ahead of the Steelers on this one.
I remember wanting Revis and David Little in that draft. I am glad we got Woodley, it would have been nice to get all 3 though :Beer

calmkiller
01-18-2010, 09:32 AM
Ed Douchette says they would have drafted Timmons if both were still on the board.

phillyesq
01-18-2010, 09:46 AM
Ed Douchette says they would have drafted Timmons if both were still on the board.

I saw that recently, and sadly, he is probably right.

stlrz d
01-18-2010, 09:55 AM
http://dailypoetics.typepad.com/daily_poetics/images/2007/09/13/hindsight.jpg

SteelAbility
01-18-2010, 09:56 AM
Timmons is a good player, no doubt. But it does seem that the Timmons pick probably had a bit of the "enamored of" factor in it, similar to Al Davis being enamored of speed guys.

Chadman
01-18-2010, 10:00 AM
Wow.....sure wish the Steelers had drafted Ed Reed way back when. And Adrian Peterson too. Oh, and Jake Long. And Andre Johnson.

The problem IS NOT that the Steelers drafted Timmons in Round 1.

The problem IS NOT that the Steelers leaked info on wanting Revis.

The problem is, after missing on Revis, in every subsequent draft, they have not found a CB to do the job opposite Ike Taylor. It could be a by-product of 'Drafting Best Player Available', or poor evaluation of rookies, or poor evaluation of current roster players.

Regardless, if the Steelers had picked up 1 CB (Aqib Talib anyone?) of note, then we wouldn't keep hearing the bitching & moaning about 'missing Revis & getting Timmons'.

Don't be hating Timmons because he isn't Revis.

Mister Pittsburgh
01-18-2010, 10:00 AM
IMHO it is a lot easier to find an ILB in the middle rounds than it is to find a shut down CB.

Flawed thinking in the Steelers war room that day if they honestly would have taken Timmons over Revis if both were sitting there.

Chadman
01-18-2010, 10:02 AM
IMHO it is a lot easier to find an ILB in the middle rounds than it is to find a shut down CB.

Flawed thinking in the Steelers war room that day if they honestly would have taken Timmons over Revis if both were sitting there.

You mean someone like the guy we all wanted out becuase he didn't make enough plays?

Larry Foote?

Mister Pittsburgh
01-18-2010, 10:04 AM
Wow.....sure wish the Steelers had drafted Ed Reed way back when. And Adrian Peterson too. Oh, and Jake Long. And Andre Johnson.

The problem is, after missing on Revis, in every subsequent draft, they have not found a CB to do the job opposite Ike Taylor. It could be a by-product of 'Drafting Best Player Available', or poor evaluation of rookies, or poor evaluation of current roster players.

Regardless, if the Steelers had picked up 1 CB (Aqib Talib anyone?) of note, then we wouldn't keep hearing the bitching & moaning about 'missing Revis & getting Timmons'.

We seem to miss a lot on positions of need. Go check the draft history on CB, WR, LB, and curiously, TE. Only reason we aren't totally barren in the LB department is we used a first and second round pick on two LB'ers. I suspect the only way we come across a stud CB is to use a first rounder on one. Ike is the best we have and he has major holes (zone coverage).

Steelers would be wise to start trading away all their day 3 picks for all Day 2 picks.

SteelAbility
Didn't the Browns pass on Adrian Peterson?

I remember the week 1 highlights on NFLN showed AP on the bench talking to the camera about "See what the Browns missed. They passed me up." LMAO!! :lol:

Just sayin.'

stlrz d

:Clap

And Ed Bouchette likes to pass his opinions as fact. Frequently.

SteelAbility
01-18-2010, 10:10 AM

I think hate for Timmons is mixed up with hate for the choice given the draft position. I held out on any opinions on Timmons until pretty much this year. From what I've seen, I have to say I'm disappointed with his performance-to-draft-position ratio. I think he can still step up his game to a #15 pick, but I wouldn't bet on it.

I do think the Timmons selection involved a bit of being enamored of his athleticism. It's like buying a good house. You can't allow yourself to fall in love with any one house. Then your vision becomes narrow and you start missing the beauty and value of other homes on the market, not to mention losing good negotiating position.

SidSmythe
01-18-2010, 10:28 AM

I think hate for Timmons is mixed up with hate for the choice given the draft position. I held out on any opinions on Timmons until pretty much this year. From what I've seen, I have to say I'm disappointed with his performance-to-draft-position ratio. I think he can still step up his game to a #15 pick, but I wouldn't bet on it.

I do think the Timmons selection involved a bit of being enamored of his athleticism. It's like buying a good house. You can't allow yourself to fall in love with any one house. Then your vision becomes narrow and you start missing the beauty and value of other homes on the market, not to mention losing good negotiating position.

I'm notta Timmons hater. I just think 15 was a little high for a guy w/ a lot of question marks. Especially w/ the talent at LB in that draft.
I was in love w/ David Harris that draft b/c he was NFL ready ... notta project.

Mister Pittsburgh
01-18-2010, 11:02 AM

You mean someone like the guy we all wanted out becuase he didn't make enough plays?

Larry Foote?

I didn't want Foote out. He was solid.

Jom112
01-18-2010, 11:04 AM

Actually it was us that kinda got screwed. We were interested in Revis and possibly you guys as well, which is why the Jets traded up before both of our picks. We ended up with Leon Hall a couple of picks later, which wasn't a bad consolation prize.

No Revis, but a 2nd team All-Pro player is not bad...

phillyesq
01-18-2010, 11:44 AM
[quote="Mister Pittsburgh":2gnsq7s1]IMHO it is a lot easier to find an ILB in the middle rounds than it is to find a shut down CB.

Larry Foote?

I didn't want Foote out. He was solid.[/quote:2gnsq7s1]

I didn't want Foote out either. I thought he was very solid against the run. More importantly, he knew his assignments, and allowed others to make plays.

SteelerNation1
01-18-2010, 11:48 AM
[quote="Mister Pittsburgh":3vr4z97p]IMHO it is a lot easier to find an ILB in the middle rounds than it is to find a shut down CB.

Larry Foote?

I didn't want Foote out. He was solid.

I didn't want Foote out either. I thought he was very solid against the run. More importantly, he knew his assignments, and allowed others to make plays.[/quote:3vr4z97p]
He's a FA. Bring him back? Nah...I liked Foote too, but he didn't make enough spalsh plays, which is why he's in Detroit. Timmons will be fine. I'd just like a bit more consistency vs. the run.

Oviedo
01-18-2010, 11:59 AM
Is there a point to this thread?

Revis was already selected. He is a Jet.

Timmons wasn't selected so we took him. He is a Steeler.

We had no chance to select Revis because he was taken. What exactly are we dwelling on. Seems pretty simple to me.

SteelAbility
01-18-2010, 12:18 PM

We had no chance to select Revis because he was taken. What exactly are we dwelling on. Seems pretty simple to me.

What could have been. Seems pretty simple to me. :P

Sorry, couldn't resist. :wink:

pfelix73
01-18-2010, 01:23 PM
As I remember it, there were other CB's there too. Like Jim said, Hall is a 2nd teamer. Ain't too shabby for a CB.

I'd make that trade any day. Timmons for Hall. As long as Foote would've stayed. But hey, this is a 'ridiculous' thread so why talk about it.

:tt1

feltdizz
01-18-2010, 01:38 PM
We didn't pass on Revis... I don't understand the Timmons hate either. I don't buy the "even if Revis was there" we take Timmons. People can say anything about what they woulda done when there is no woulda to hold them to...

NJ-STEELER
01-18-2010, 02:08 PM
as mentioned hall and even aaron ross went a few picks later (along with 2 safties).

so there were plenty of secondary help still available if they were interested in taking a corner.

dont forget we just released porter ,had very average clark haggans on the other side, and supeer sub harrison going into his 1st season as a starter

flippy
01-18-2010, 03:43 PM
We play a 3-4 and OLB's are super important in our D. Timmons still might be the best OLB we have.

I wouldn't be surprised in a couple years if Timmons and Woodley are the best pair of 3-4 OLBs ever seen. It's time to aknowledge, James Harrison has one move and is limited. It's time to make way for LT on the outside. No one in the league has Timmons burst. Not even Dwight Freeney who's probably the closest.

Timmons could be lethal off the edge. But Harrison had a great season and mucked up the plans.

Shoe
01-18-2010, 04:18 PM
If we really wanna talk "why didn't we", why didn't we take Marino in '83? :D

We'd be on our Stairway to Nine right now (not Seven). :wink:

RuthlessBurgher
01-18-2010, 05:28 PM
I remember wanting Revis and David Little in that draft.

I assume you mean David Harris. But David Little was a solid ILB in his own right once upon a time...

http://www.steelertribute.com/little09.jpg

grotonsteel
01-18-2010, 05:32 PM

It was his first year as starter. I thought he played pretty well. He is an OLB and he had to convert into ILB. He is still very young.

You may want to check 2007 Draft and the players taken in Rd 1:

1- J Russell --- Bust
5 - Levi Brown --- You don't draft a RT at No.5
6 - Laron Landry -- Average at best. Apart from boom hits can't do anything.
8 - Jamal Anderson -- Bust as per performance-to-draft-position
9 - Ted Ginn - Bust
10 - Amobi Okoye - Bust
12 - M Lynch -- Nutcase
13 - A Carriker -- Pitt Live Board Fav.--- Bust
16 - Justin Herrell -- Bust
17 - J Moss -- Is he working in McD??
22 - B Quinn -- Bust
24 - B Meriweather -- Average S at best.

RuthlessBurgher
01-18-2010, 05:35 PM
We play a 3-4 and OLB's are super important in our D. Timmons still might be the best OLB we have.

I wouldn't be surprised in a couple years if Timmons and Woodley are the best pair of 3-4 OLBs ever seen. It's time to aknowledge, James Harrison has one move and is limited. It's time to make way for LT on the outside. No one in the league has Timmons burst. Not even Dwight Freeney who's probably the closest.

Timmons could be lethal off the edge. But Harrison had a great season and mucked up the plans.

Harrison did not have just one good year. In his 3 seasons as a starter, he has 278 tackles, 34.5 sacks, 8 passes defensed, 2 interceptions, and 19 forced fumbles.

Find me another linebacker who has had a 3 year stretch that impressive, aside from the other guy named Lawrence T. (and I'm not talking about Timmons).

NJ-STEELER
01-18-2010, 05:39 PM
yeah, if thats "mucking up the plans" for timmons starting out at OLB....i'll take it every time

BURGH86STEEL
01-18-2010, 05:41 PM

It was his first year as starter. I thought he played pretty well. He is an OLB and he had to convert into ILB. He is still very young.

You may want to check 2007 Draft and the players taken in Rd 1:

1- J Russell --- Bust
5 - Levi Brown --- You don't draft a RT at No.5
6 - Laron Landry -- Average at best. Apart from boom hits can't do anything.
8 - Jamal Anderson -- Bust as per performance-to-draft-position
9 - Ted Ginn - Bust
10 - Amobi Okoye - Bust
12 - M Lynch -- Nutcase
13 - A Carriker -- Pitt Live Board Fav.--- Bust
16 - Justin Herrell -- Bust
17 - J Moss -- Is he working in McD??
22 - B Quinn -- Bust
24 - B Meriweather -- Average S at best.

They may not had won the SB if we change one thing about the 08 team. Things happen for a reason. Timmons was a main contributer in passing formations in 08. He helped this team win a SB.

Thinking back, they needed LB help big time. A case can be made that the LB's are the key to the 3-4 defense.

Chadman
01-18-2010, 06:43 PM
Much like with the "Should we re-sign Casey Hampton" debate, Chadman has a question or two for those that feel Timmons is 'lacking'.

The Steelers are a top 5 run defense team. In the NFL, that's pretty much 'dominant'. And lets face it, not many teams can run on the Steelers.

So, if Timmons is such a weak run defender (as has been eluded to), how do the Steelers maintain such dominance in run defense?

Is it a case of the Steelers having 10 great run defenders & Lawrence Timmons is like a ladies handbag- being carried around & out there just to look good? Don't think so.

He's as much a part of that run defense as anyone else.

The Steelers downfall on defense came against the pass- specifically against the DB's. It wasn't opposition TE's that were killing the Steelers. It was the WR's, the DB's responsibility.

Timmons had the 3rd highest sack count & the 4th most tackles on the team, yet he is the subject of much of the defenses critisism. Something doesn't add up.

As Chadman said in an earlier post- the problem was not that the Steelers chose Timmons, or missed on Revis, but that in every subsequent draft the Steelers have not hit on a high quality DB that can start- CB or FS.

Instead, the Steelers decided it was far more important to get Ben a 'TALL' WR so he can throw off the back foot & still, maybe, get a reception.

Just imagine, if you will, that in 2008 the Steelers DIDN'T draft Mendenhall, Sweed & Bruce Davis in the first 3 rounds & instead took- #1 CB Mike Jenkins, #2 RB Ray Rice & #3 WR Mario Manningham.

How different would things be then?

But of course, most of you will say hindsight is 20/20.

Which it is.

Which makes second guessing Timmons selection, a guy that starts & produces at a decent level, a little unfair.

flippy
01-18-2010, 07:37 PM

Harrison did not have just one good year. In his 3 seasons as a starter, he has 278 tackles, 34.5 sacks, 8 passes defensed, 2 interceptions, and 19 forced fumbles.

Find me another linebacker who has had a 3 year stretch that impressive, aside from the other guy named Lawrence T. (and I'm not talking about Timmons).

but the point i was trying to make is no one expected James Harrison to be so good when we picked Timmons. if harrison wasn't so good, timmons would be playing OLB by now and I think that's what the Steelers expected from him.

feltdizz
01-18-2010, 07:55 PM
Much like with the "Should we re-sign Casey Hampton" debate, Chadman has a question or two for those that feel Timmons is 'lacking'.

The Steelers are a top 5 run defense team. In the NFL, that's pretty much 'dominant'. And lets face it, not many teams can run on the Steelers.

So, if Timmons is such a weak run defender (as has been eluded to), how do the Steelers maintain such dominance in run defense?

Is it a case of the Steelers having 10 great run defenders & Lawrence Timmons is like a ladies handbag- being carried around & out there just to look good? Don't think so.

He's as much a part of that run defense as anyone else.

The Steelers downfall on defense came against the pass- specifically against the DB's. It wasn't opposition TE's that were killing the Steelers. It was the WR's, the DB's responsibility.

Timmons had the 3rd highest sack count & the 4th most tackles on the team, yet he is the subject of much of the defenses critisism. Something doesn't add up.

As Chadman said in an earlier post- the problem was not that the Steelers chose Timmons, or missed on Revis, but that in every subsequent draft the Steelers have not hit on a high quality DB that can start- CB or FS.

Instead, the Steelers decided it was far more important to get Ben a 'TALL' WR so he can throw off the back foot & still, maybe, get a reception.

Just imagine, if you will, that in 2008 the Steelers DIDN'T draft Mendenhall, Sweed & Bruce Davis in the first 3 rounds & instead took- #1 CB Mike Jenkins, #2 RB Ray Rice & #3 WR Mario Manningham.

How different would things be then?

But of course, most of you will say hindsight is 20/20.

Which it is.

Which makes second guessing Timmons selection, a guy that starts & produces at a decent level, a little unfair.

Church!

I don't understand what this is all about. Then again, we had a thread asking if Logan was worth a roster spot. Was Sep worth treading up for... and Troy was a bust his first year. Everyone wants what they don't have. Our DB's weren't a problem when we drafted Timmons. They were never stellar but they were decent.

Oviedo
01-18-2010, 08:04 PM

What could have been. Seems pretty simple to me. :P

Sorry, couldn't resist. :wink:

No problem, I just thought this might be another thread indirectly criticizing Coach Tomlin. Now I know that wasn't the intent :wink:

This is just like a wishing you won the lottery thread

NJ-STEELER
01-18-2010, 08:30 PM
i posted a thread last week about the lack of high picks on the OL.

well, the same could be said for cornerback. troy is the only DB on the roster taken in the 1st 2 rounds with mcfadden leaving last year.

IMO, those are the 2 weakest units on the team. i hope they address both areas with high picks over the next 2 years

SteelStallion
01-18-2010, 09:15 PM
You guys worry way too much about Timmons. He's a good, young player with speed. I would be much more concerned with the geriatric ward surrounding him that kept'm out of the playoffs.

feltdizz
01-18-2010, 09:58 PM
You guys worry way too much about Timmons. He's a good, young player with speed. I would be much more concerned with the geriatric ward surrounding him that kept'm out of the playoffs.
This right here.. We are old in a lot of spots... While Big Snack is fat and older he is still on the field. I think it's time to address Aaron Smith... He can't stay on the field.

frankthetank1
01-18-2010, 11:41 PM
As I remember it, there were other CB's there too. Like Jim said, Hall is a 2nd teamer. Ain't too shabby for a CB.

I'd make that trade any day. Timmons for Hall. As long as Foote would've stayed. But hey, this is a 'ridiculous' thread so why talk about it.

i would take that trade in a second. i remember watching the draft and hoping we would draft revis or hall if revis wasnt there. both are great cb's and look at the mess the secondary is. i like michigan a lot so i saw a ton of hall and woodley in college and thought either or both would be a great draft. timmons is ok but who knows how he will progress? hall and revis are already above expectations. what hurts most about revis is he is from the burgh. i hate to see guys from pittsburgh not play for the steelers especially if they went to pitt.

Oviedo
01-19-2010, 09:15 AM

i would take that trade in a second. i remember watching the draft and hoping we would draft revis or hall if revis wasnt there. both are great cb's and look at the mess the secondary is. i like michigan a lot so i saw a ton of hall and woodley in college and thought either or both would be a great draft. timmons is ok but who knows how he will progress? hall and revis are already above expectations. what hurts most about revis is he is from the burgh. i hate to see guys from pittsburgh not play for the steelers especially if they went to pitt.

Now back to reality

RuthlessBurgher
01-19-2010, 11:23 AM
This right here.. We are old in a lot of spots... While Big Snack is fat and older he is still on the field. I think it's time to address Aaron Smith... He can't stay on the field.

We already did address an Aaron Smith replacement. His name is Ziggy Hood. When we drafted him in April, many assumed that he would be the replacement for free-agent-to-be Brett Keisel. But when Keisel signed a 5 year contract in August, it became clear that Ziggy was to be the heir apparent to the aging Aaron Smith, not Keisel, since Brett is obviously in their plans for the foreseeable future.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
01-19-2010, 12:44 PM
We didn't pass on Revis... I don't understand the Timmons hate either. I don't buy the "even if Revis was there" we take Timmons. People can say anything about what they woulda done when there is no woulda to hold them to...

Exactly. If I'm the GM I would say "Timmons was always our target. He was our man all along. We are thrilled that he somehow dropped to us at 15. We figured that a prospect such as this would have gone in the top 10. As a matter of fact, our only decision was whether to select Timmons or Woodley at 15."

feltdizz
01-19-2010, 01:01 PM

We already did address an Aaron Smith replacement. His name is Ziggy Hood. When we drafted him in April, many assumed that he would be the replacement for free-agent-to-be Brett Keisel. But when Keisel signed a 5 year contract in August, it became clear that Ziggy was to be the heir apparent to the aging Aaron Smith, not Keisel, since Brett is obviously in their plans for the foreseeable future.

then we need to draft a prospect for Keisel.. lol.

I really like Hood and look forward to the draft gurus whining about his lack of production and not living up to their expectations next year.

aggiebones
01-19-2010, 04:29 PM
Outside of God telling you who the Steelers would have drafted between Revis and Timmons, don't believe ANYTHING you hear before or after draft day. There is so much espionage and foul play regarding the drafts that you are naive if you believe anyone. Before OR after the draft.
No team wants another team to know they stole their player.
As for Revis versus Timmons. Both are progressing and Revis is looking very good. Luck be a lady sometimes. The got a good one. A blind squirrel finds a nut everyone in awhile, especially when he gets to go before all the other squirrels so often.