PDA

View Full Version : The "Steeler Way"

SteelStallion
01-17-2010, 10:29 AM
Finally, a public comment from Art II that is relevant:

Steelers president wants coaches to get younger players ready more quickly
Sunday, January 17, 2010
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
Peter Diana/Post-GazetteRooney: Speed up the developmentRebuilding is not in the Steelers' vocabulary for 2010. They prefer the word revitalize. As Mike Tomlin reshapes his coaching staff for the first time after three seasons as head coach, the team's president looks to younger players to help keep the Steelers in contention.

And he would like to see the coaching staff develop those players more quickly than they have been.

Art Rooney II said while he is happy with how the Steelers have acquired talent through the draft the past five-plus years, he'd prefer to see those players contribute more.

"I do think that one of the things we have to do is probably get better at developing our younger players," Rooney told the Post-Gazette. "That's something we have to think about and make sure we're doing what we need to do to have guys being able to step in maybe a little earlier. And over the next year or two, there's no question we have some age on the defense and there's going to be some turnover.

"We'll see in the next year or two how some of these draft choices play out, but we think we have some good young guys on this roster who can step up and make a difference."

No draft pick has become a regular starter as a rookie since tight end Heath Miller in 2005. It took 2007 first-round pick Lawrence Timmons into his third season before he started at linebacker. Rookie wide receiver Mike Wallace became a productive No. 3 receiver this season and undrafted rookie Ramon Foster started four games at guard.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Key dates
Feb. 24: NFL scouting combine, Indianapolis.

March 5: Free-agency period begins throughout the NFL.

April 22: Day 1 of three-day NFL draft, New York.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
But the list of young players languishing on the bench are many, including two third-round picks this past season, guard Kraig Urbik and cornerback Keenan Lewis.

Of the four top draft choices in 2008, only halfback Rashard Mendenhall contributed over the past two seasons. Second-round pick Limas Sweed played little at wide receiver, third-rounder Bruce Davis was released after one season and fourth-rounder Tony Hills spent the past two seasons mostly inactive for games.

As the Steelers defense ages, it becomes more important to develop young players to take over.

"We have some things we have to address," Rooney said. "I think No. 1, we have to get some of our younger players ready to go, and I think we have some young players who can step in and be contributors. I think we're all comfortable that there are some guys on the team now who can step in and make a difference next year."

Count Rooney among those who thought the extended losses to injuries in 2009 of safety Troy Polamalu and defensive end Aaron Smith made a difference.

"Certainly keeping certain guys healthy for most of the season would go a long way. In terms of Troy, you never want to put it all on one guy, the absence of one guy, because you have to be able to overcome injuries. But losing one of your best players is a tough blow for any team, combined with Aaron Smith. Keeping guys healthy is certainly something you hope happens.

"Beyond that, we have to have a good draft. For us, that's a key piece to the puzzle. We'll be drafting a little higher than we have been this year and so we have to do a good job with the draft and have some guys come in who will help in the near future, not right away but in the near future."

Rooney addressed several other topics:

Kevin Colbert, the director of football operations, has one year left on his contract and often is rumored to be joining Bill Cowher if he takes another coaching job. Omar Khan, the team's lead negotiator and salary cap monitor, is one of two finalists for the general manager's job with the Seattle Seahawks.

PDF

NFL Draft Order

"No. 1, as far as I know, Bill's not pursuing a job. We'd love to keep our people. We have good people, we'd like to keep them. By the same token, when you have good people, they're going to have opportunities once in a while. We'll deal with it if changes come. You just have to be prepared to adjust if something like that happens."

Mike Tomlin has two years left on his contract. Traditionally, the Steelers negotiate an extension with their coach heading into that period.

"I don't like to speculate on what we're going to do with the coach, but let's just say we certainly hope and believe Mike's going to be here for the long term and we'll deal with contract situations as they come up. But we're very happy with Mike, and I think he's here for the long run."

On why he believed his Super Bowl champs, at 6-2, went into a tailspin in five consecutive losses that began at home to Cincinnati and included setbacks to heavy underdogs Kansas City, Oakland and Cleveland:

"Somewhere in the middle of that season I think we lost sight of the goal a little bit. We lost sight of the opportunity we had to do something special.

"You know, it's a long season, and I kind of look at the Cincinnati game and the Kansas City game as sort of two key games. I think our guys were really, let's say, disappointed coming off that Cincinnati game. Getting swept by Cincinnati is not something we're used to having happen. And I think there was a little carryover from that game to the next game and you can't afford to do that. You can't afford to go into a game against any opponent and take them lightly or worry about the last game. You have to be prepared every week in this league or somebody's going to jump up and get you.

"I think those two games started a little bit of a snowball that was hard to reverse. Thank God we did get it reversed because it would have been awful tough to lose the rest of them. But that was a tough stretch.

"I think we just have to be prepared to make adjustments and address things that we did not quite get right and I think we're doing that."

For more on the Steelers, read the new blog, Ed Bouchette On the Steelers at http://www.post-gazette.com/plus. He can be reached at ebouchette@post-gazette.com.

Read more: http://www.pittsburghpostgazette.com/pg ... z0cscJWd3p (http://www.pittsburghpostgazette.com/pg/10017/1028890-66.stm#ixzz0cscJWd3p)

Iron Shiek
01-17-2010, 10:35 AM
Who is this guy, Jerry Jones? Ive heard more from him in the media this week than Dan in the last several years. Coming soon, The Art Deuce Call In Show.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
01-17-2010, 10:49 AM
Who is this guy, Jerry Jones? Ive heard more from him in the media this week than Dan in the last several years. Coming soon, The Art Deuce Call In Show.
:Agree :Agree :wft

Shiek, that is EXACTLY what I was thinking as I was reading this.

Oviedo
01-17-2010, 11:20 AM
"We have some things we have to address," Rooney said. "I think No. 1, we have to get some of our younger players ready to go, and I think we have some young players who can step in and be contributors. I think we're all comfortable that there are some guys on the team now who can step in and make a difference next year."

The Colts had two rookie CBs starting last night's play off game but our defense is so freaking complex our rookies barely see the field. I guess that the Colts' defensive coord isn't a genius and therefore his defense is understandable and players can actually play it in a reasonable amount of time.

Drives me insane that we seem to be outsmarting only ourselves on defense.

BURGH86STEEL
01-17-2010, 03:05 PM
What good is it to make those comments at this point? Why didn't he make them after they won the SB? Is he in a rush to get the new owners a return on their investments and a SB ring?

They've been doing things a certain way for a lot of years with a lot of success. I understand there were some disappointments this season. I don't think it was necessary to come out and make any comments. Things could be changing quickly with Art II and other owners running the show. I guess this is why a lot of fans were concerned.

I guess I prefer the owners to keep silent and let the people they hire do their jobs. I would be thinking WTF if I were Tomlin and the other coaches.

BURGH86STEEL
01-17-2010, 03:14 PM

The Colts had two rookie CBs starting last night's play off game but our defense is so freaking complex our rookies barely see the field. I guess that the Colts' defensive coord isn't a genius and therefore his defense is understandable and players can actually play it in a reasonable amount of time.

Were those rookies starting because the starters were injured and they had no other choice? Colt's pass rush was all over Flacco last night. That helps the pass defense a lot. Colt's defense is probably simple. Most teams don't have Freeney and Mathis rushing the passer either.

Oviedo
01-17-2010, 03:49 PM

Were those rookies starting because the starters were injured and they had no other choice? Colt's pass rush was all over Flacco last night. That helps the pass defense a lot. Colt's defense is probably simple. Most teams don't have Freeney and Mathis rushing the passer either.

They were there because of injuries but the point is they obviously haqd enough command of the scheme to be successful.

I absolutely did see their 4-3 pass rush generate consistent pressure all night long particularly their DEs. Very similar to the success of the New Orleans 4-3 defense shutting down the Cardinals.

feltdizz
01-17-2010, 03:55 PM
Football is way too physical... our D has to be able to perform at a decent level. Our DB's were lost out there last year.

hawaiiansteel
01-17-2010, 04:18 PM
It's hard to be successful in the NFL when you have DBs such as Tyrone Carter, Ryan Mundy, William Gay, Joe Burnett and an aging Deshea Townsend on the field consistently.

We need to address our S and CB positions quickly, both through the draft and free agency. Tyrone Carter and Deshea likely won't be back and there's a good chance Ryan Clark won't be either.

Let's hope that next year Troy stays healthy all season and that Ike has a good year again. I'm hoping the Steelers will draft a playmaker like Earl Thomas from Texas in the first round to play alongside Troy and bring in a veteran CB to compete with William Gay, Joe Burnett, Keenan Lewis and Trae Williams for the other CB spot.

BURGH86STEEL
01-17-2010, 04:32 PM

They were there because of injuries but the point is they obviously haqd enough command of the scheme to be successful.

I absolutely did see their 4-3 pass rush generate consistent pressure all night long particularly their DEs. Very similar to the success of the New Orleans 4-3 defense shutting down the Cardinals.

Will be interesting to see if their DB's will hold up against better WR's. They might face that challenge next week vs the Chargers or in the SB.

I do think the Steelers need to attempt to address the CB position opposite Ike. They also need to find a way to add some depth at the safety position. Paying some of the stars on the team limits what they can do financially in free agency. That's one reason we see players like Carter return year after year.

feltdizz
01-17-2010, 04:33 PM
If Tyrone Carter or Deshea comes back it screams "Lebeau's D is too damn complex" so we have to keep slow non-athletic guys on the roster.

or Tyrone Carter has photo's of Lebeau in drag.

stlrz d
01-17-2010, 04:43 PM
Will be interesting to see if their DB's will hold up against better WR's. They might face that challenge next week vs the Chargers or in the SB.

I do think the Steelers need to attempt to address the CB position opposite Ike. They also need to find a way to add some depth at the safety position. Paying some of the stars on the team limits what they can do financially in free agency. That's one reason we see players like Carter return year after year.

This. I think the Colts corners will have a much tougher go against the Chargers, Saints or Vikings.

SteelStallion
01-17-2010, 06:23 PM
A timely article I think. My thing with the 'Steeler Way' is this painfully ridiculous veteran favoritism where the vet under contract starts no matter what, even if he stinks, and the rookie or young player doesn't get a shot to start. It's like a civil service/union mentality. And frankly I see no difference between Tomlin and Cowher in this sense so I presume the front office has a hand in the Steeler way. There are so many examples over the years, too many to list. But this year alone you have a situation at center with a castoff veteran and undrafted backup. An intriguing player is drafted in good faith but not allowed to even dress for games so he essentially quits the Steelers and goes to Philly. And dudes like Farrior, Carter, ect., no matter how ridiculous their play they start and play the majority.

Now here's Art II and he makes these popular public remarks. Maybe he's a good guy and a football fan and is trying to guide the Steelers in a positive direction. On the other hand he also makes public remarks about signing Casey Hampton as a priorty. And he's the boss of the front office that signs aging veterans to lengthy high risk contracts. And there's these new investors like somebody mentioned above so maybe he's playing all sides like a politician. I don't know, I'm trying to gauge who he is and what he's about. But it's highly interesting that the 70+ years of silence by ownership is broken.

Chadman
01-17-2010, 06:43 PM
Regardless of your thoughts on if management should make such public declarations or not, what he has said is right-

The Steelers are not getting enough value for the money invested from rookies. It is on the coaches to get these guys on the field & give the Steelers a consistant turnover of old players to young so that we don't end up in a situation where you are left with a visabley old, and slowing defense (or offense) as we have seen.

Yes- it seems LeBeau's defensive scheme is 'hard to grasp'. But isn't it a little 'poor' on LeBeau (and Tomlin/Cowher) part to not perhaps 'dumb it down' to some degree so that players like Timmons, Polamalu, Hood, Lewis etc can see the field earlier, instead of Kirschke, Townsend, Carter etc?

It seems like a poor utalisation of the talent available.

Hopefully after reading about how Coach Kug's used rookies in his O-Line at Buffalo, how he organised a scheme to fit each players individual skills, not forcing players to play a certain way before they see the field, we might see some of the younger guys get a run on the OL & show the rest of the Steelers coaches how to incorporate rookies & young players earlier.

To be honest, it's not easy to 'bag' the 'Steeler Way', seeing as how successful they have been- but this constant battle for rookies & playing time is one thing that has constantly bothered Chadman.

stlrz d
01-17-2010, 10:38 PM
A timely article I think. My thing with the 'Steeler Way' is this painfully ridiculous veteran favoritism where the vet under contract starts no matter what, even if he stinks, and the rookie or young player doesn't get a shot to start. It's like a civil service/union mentality. And frankly I see no difference between Tomlin and Cowher in this sense so I presume the front office has a hand in the Steeler way. There are so many examples over the years, too many to list. But this year alone you have a situation at center with a castoff veteran and undrafted backup. An intriguing player is drafted in good faith but not allowed to even dress for games so he essentially quits the Steelers and goes to Philly. And dudes like Farrior, Carter, ect., no matter how ridiculous their play they start and play the majority.

Now here's Art II and he makes these popular public remarks. Maybe he's a good guy and a football fan and is trying to guide the Steelers in a positive direction. On the other hand he also makes public remarks about signing Casey Hampton as a priorty. And he's the boss of the front office that signs aging veterans to lengthy high risk contracts. And there's these new investors like somebody mentioned above so maybe he's playing all sides like a politician. I don't know, I'm trying to gauge who he is and what he's about. But it's highly interesting that the 70+ years of silence by ownership is broken.

Cowher may have been guilty of that, but to insinuate that Tomlin is because he didn't start Shipley over Hartwig is laughable. Or that Farrior and Carter start simply because they are vets. Add that in too. They start because there is no one else.

feltdizz
01-17-2010, 10:51 PM
I'm OK with Farrior in there.. he gets burned in coverage but he isn't Tyrone Carter bad.

I'm sorry but if Carter was all we had then Tomlin/Lebeau/Colbert are to blame. He is the worst and makes everyone around him worser!

I think Lebeau's scheme is great when healthy, young and 3 years in... I would like to see the youngsters earlier though...

BURGH86STEEL
01-17-2010, 10:52 PM

Cowher may have been guilty of that, but to insinuate that Tomlin is because he didn't start Shipley over Hartwig is laughable. Or that Farrior and Carter start simply because they are vets. Add that in too. They start because there is no one else.

I agree. There are some other factors involved. It is not a cut and dry situation. It is tough to have quality depth at every position on the team. Money, money, money tied up into the stars. Steelers were fortunate they had guys to step up and replace Smith. They were not so fortunate in having an adequate long term solution for Troy. I think Carter may be good for a game or two. Any longer then that and the flaws show up big time.

BURGH86STEEL
01-17-2010, 11:05 PM
I'm OK with Farrior in there.. he gets burned in coverage but he isn't Tyrone Carter bad.

I'm sorry but if Carter was all we had then Tomlin/Lebeau/Colbert are to blame. He is the worst and makes everyone around him worser!

I think Lebeau's scheme is great when healthy, young and 3 years in... I would like to see the youngsters earlier though...

I think Farrior is still a quality player. People sum up his season because he lost a couple of battles.

Carter had his moments this season. As I said before, he can't fill in for the long haul. I don't think any backup in the league can replace Polamalu.

I think back to A. Smith regarding younger players. They tried the kid on the field and he got burned. As a result, the fans burned Smith. He was probably put on the field before he was ready to play.

Lots of things have to be taken into consideration when talking about starting younger players. We get to see all the on field stuff. How well are they prepared with their off the field "games". How much did they prepare at the collegiate level? Will they watch film? Will they prepare like pros their first season? How ready and mature are they? Are they willing to listen to the vets? Most of these guys probably got over with pure talent at the college level. I don't think it is as cut and dry as throwing these guys in games. The light goes on for guys at different times.

grotonsteel
01-17-2010, 11:08 PM

The reason vet start because Steelers rookies are unable to grasp the Dick lebeau's so called complex schemes. His schemes are confusing Steelers players than opponent QBs.

About time Dick Lebeau throw that play book away for young guns and dumb down schemes so that they can contribute.

Make adjustments.

grotonsteel
01-17-2010, 11:10 PM

:Clap :Agree

Been saying that all along and Art Rooney II confirmed it.

stlrz d
01-17-2010, 11:11 PM

The reason vet start because Steelers rookies are unable to grasp the bad word lebeau's so called complex schemes. His schemes are confusing Steelers players than opponent QBs.

About time bad word Lebeau throw that play book away for young guns and dumb down schemes so that they can contribute.

Make adjustments.

They don't start because raw physical ability is not enough in any scheme.

grotonsteel
01-17-2010, 11:14 PM
[quote=SteelStallion]A timely article I think. My thing with the 'Steeler Way' is this painfully ridiculous veteran favoritism where the vet under contract starts no matter what, even if he stinks, and the rookie or young player doesn't get a shot to start. It's like a civil service/union mentality. And frankly I see no difference between Tomlin and Cowher in this sense so I presume the front office has a hand in the Steeler way. There are so many examples over the years, too many to list. But this year alone you have a situation at center with a castoff veteran and undrafted backup. An intriguing player is drafted in good faith but not allowed to even dress for games so he essentially quits the Steelers and goes to Philly. And dudes like Farrior, Carter, ect., no matter how ridiculous their play they start and play the majority.

The reason vet start because Steelers rookies are unable to grasp the bad word lebeau's so called complex schemes. His schemes are confusing Steelers players than opponent QBs.

About time bad word Lebeau throw that play book away for young guns and dumb down schemes so that they can contribute.

Make adjustments.

They don't start because raw physical ability is not enough in any scheme.[/quote:a7c6sbem]

If K Lewis/Burnett can't start over william gay/townsend then Steelers do need to worry.

I believe its coaches responsibility to utilize the talent in hand especially when there is injury.

feltdizz
01-17-2010, 11:19 PM

:Clap :Agree

Been saying that all along and Art Rooney II confirmed it.

I think this season was proof our young guys are raw but can have an impact if given the chance earlier. Burnett dropped an easy INT... but at least he saw the ball, I think...

Ziggy and Eason looked good this season and Wallace stepped up nice on O. Not sure how young Eason is...

I think our method with the vets worked well for years but now other teams youngsters are outrunning out vets. Young legs trump veteran wisdom out in space.

RuthlessBurgher
01-17-2010, 11:25 PM
Not sure how young Eason is...

Eason is 29 with 7 years of NFL experience.

feltdizz
01-17-2010, 11:29 PM

I think Farrior is still a quality player. People sum up his season because he lost a couple of battles.

Carter had his moments this season. As I said before, he can't fill in for the long haul. I don't think any backup in the league can replace Polamalu.

I think back to A. Smith regarding younger players. They tried the kid on the field and he got burned. As a result, the fans burned Smith. He was probably put on the field before he was ready to play.

Lots of things have to be taken into consideration when talking about starting younger players. We get to see all the on field stuff. How well are they prepared with their off the field "games". How much did they prepare at the collegiate level? Will they watch film? Will they prepare like pros their first season? How ready and mature are they? Are they willing to listen to the vets? Most of these guys probably got over with pure talent at the college level. I don't think it is as cut and dry as throwing these guys in games. The light goes on for guys at different times.

Farrior has lost a step but he isn't as bad as the Rice play or the Bengals play. He is a target though.. Maybe we need Fox in on 4th and whatevers..

I think Smith burned himself when he kept hitting our WR's in practice.

I don't think anyone is saying play the rookies to prove a point. I think it's when the vet or starter is slow and ineffective.... we would like to see the rookie get a shot. Especially the 1st and 2nd rounders.

feltdizz
01-17-2010, 11:29 PM

Farrior has lost a step but he isn't as bad as the Rice play or the Bengals play. He is a target though.. Maybe we need Fox in on 4th and whatevers..

I think Smith burned himself when he kept hitting our WR's in practice.

I don't think anyone is saying play the rookies to prove a point. I think it's when the vet or starter is slow and ineffective.... we would like to see the rookie get a shot. Especially the 1st and 2nd rounders.

SteelStallion
01-18-2010, 12:20 AM
Some great comments here. Very persuasive, hard to argue with. But I'll try :lol:
(And I need a break from watching other people's teams in the playoffs :cry: )

This is one of the worst Ds they've put out in years and maybe their worst pass coverage ever- getting torched by the worst, most suck qbs in the league. Gimme a break, there are absolutely clear cut cases of dudes who clearly cannot play, clearly have no upside or are downright old, clearly will not be part of any championship run, and where younger players got nowhere near as much of a shot to play as the could have. And even if they struggled it would have been better off. And these bits about 'too complex, not ready,' ect., might apply sometimes, but other times sound like fan rationalizations to make themselves feel better about it. Not saying go to the wreckless extreme about it, just suggesting the Steelers are at the lower end of the curve (or 'below the line' as Tomlin would put it) and could be slightly more aggressive with the young players when the situation (like this year) arises. A number of fans feel that way, certainly Art II does, and so does Shipley- to the poster above, I didn't say he should have started, but clearly he felt the need to leave and another team liked him and found a place for him, and our starter who is a castoff from another team and cannot open a hole in playoff caliber fashion, got an extension- sure smells a little like veteranism.

Anyway sorry if too windy or sound too critical. Love the Steelers and the steeler way, just think they could improve in this one area. Wishing them good luck this offseason. :Cheers

stlrz d
01-18-2010, 12:24 AM
Some great comments here. Very persuasive, hard to argue with. But I'll try :lol:
(And I need a break from watching other people's teams in the playoffs :cry: )

This is one of the worst Ds they've put out in years and maybe their worst pass coverage ever- getting torched by the worst, most suck qbs in the league. Gimme a break, there are absolutely clear cut cases of dudes who clearly cannot play, clearly have no upside or are downright old, clearly will not be part of any championship run, and where younger players got nowhere near as much of a shot to play as the could have. And even if they struggled it would have been better off. And these bits about 'too complex, not ready,' ect., might apply sometimes, but other times sound like fan rationalizations to make themselves feel better about it. Not saying go to the wreckless extreme about it, just suggesting the Steelers are at the lower end of the curve (or 'below the line' as Tomlin would put it) and could be slightly more aggressive with the young players when the situation (like this year) arises. A number of fans feel that way, certainly Art II does, and so does Shipley- to the poster above, I didn't say he should have started, but clearly he felt the need to leave and another team liked him and found a place for him, and our starter who is a castoff from another team and cannot open a hole in playoff caliber fashion, got an extension- sure smells a little like veteranism.

Anyway sorry if too windy or sound too critical. Love the Steelers and the steeler way, just think they could improve in this one area. Wishing them good luck this offseason. :Cheers

My bad. You're right.