View Full Version : Fleury fractures left ring finger; Status: Day-to-Day

RuthlessBurgher
01-16-2010, 03:41 PM
http://penguins.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=513802&navid=DL|PIT|home

Fleury Day-to-Day with Finger Fracture
Curry Ready if Called Upon
Friday, 01.15.2010 / 9:43 PM
Features By Sam Kasan

VANCOUVER, BRITISH COLUMBIA -- Penguins goaltender Marc-Andre Fleury made 33 saves, including several highlight reel stops, against the Edmonton Oilers to preserve a 3-2 victory for the Penguins Thursday night.

Little did anyone know, the Penguins netminder played half of the game with a fractured left ring finger.

“It swelled up a little bit,” said Fleury, who is listed as day-to-day. “We’ll see (Saturday) morning how it is, if it feels better.”

“We have several different scenarios right now,” head coach Dan Bylsma said. “We’ll see how things progress and if he’s in the net (Saturday).”

Fleury, 25, did not practice Friday afternoon and his status for Pittsburgh’s Saturday showdown in Vancouver against the Canucks is completely up in the air. He may start, may be the backup or may be scratched entirely. Even Fleury isn’t sure what his capacity will be during the game.

“I really have no clue,” Fleury said. “We’ll talk about it. Whatever they tell me to do, I’ll gladly do that.”

“He is day-to-day and we’ll come to the rink with the possibility that he could be in the net for us,” head coach Dan Bylsma said. “(The injury) happened in the middle of the game and he finished. He played 30-plus minutes of hockey. There is a chance he could be in the net.”

Fleury, 25, has appeared in 41 games this season for the Penguins, posting a 25-14-1 record to go with a 2.60 goals-against average and a .908 save percentage. His 25 wins rank fourth in the National Hockey League through Friday.

If Fleury cannot start, the Penguins will turn to 25-year-old John Curry. Curry, who was recalled from Wilkes-Barre/Scranton of the American Hockey League on Jan. 11, made his NHL debut last season by playing in three games for Pittsburgh.

“John is a guy that we feel confident in his ability to play,” Bylsma said. “He showed he could play and win games last year at this level. He understood that he may play some games this year for us. If that’s the case come tomorrow then that’s something we plan on happening this year and feel comfortable with John.”

“I don’t know what the deal is yet for (Saturday),” said Curry, who posted a 2-1 record, 2.40 goals-against average and .913 save percentage last year with Pittsburgh. “I’m always going to be ready to play. You never know what the situation is. With the way that trip has gone with a lot of games, a lot of action, I always have to be ready. I am preparing myself like I’m going to play but I’d do that anyways.”

Curry has appeared in 31 games this year for WBS, recording a 16-13-1 mark, 2.54 goals-against average and .904 save percentage. He’s played his last two-plus seasons with Wilkes-Barre/Scranton and owns the franchise record for career wins (73) and wins in a single season (33, 2008-09).

“Things happen a little more quickly up here but it’s the same game,” Curry said. “I’ve improved in a lot of things from playing in a lot of games. I feel that I’m a much better goalie than I was a year ago. You have to execute and deliver when the time comes. You have to play well when you get your chance. You just have to go out there with confidence and play your game.”

RuthlessBurgher
01-16-2010, 03:42 PM
http://penguins.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=513857&navid=DL|PIT|home

Penguins Sign Pechurski to One-Game Try Out
Saturday, 01.16.2010 / 1:30 PM

The Pittsburgh Penguins have signed goaltender Alexander Pechurski from Tri-City of the Western Hockey League to a one-game amateur try out, it was announced by executive vice president and general manager Ray Shero.

Pechurski, who was drafted by Pittsburgh in the fifth round (150th overall) of the 2008 NHL Entry Draft, will return to Tri-City following the Penguins’ Saturday game against the Vancouver Canucks.

Pechurski, 19, has appeared in six contests for the Americans this season, posting a 4-1-1 record with a 1.84 goals-against average, .936 save percentage and two shutouts.

The Magnitogorsk, Russia native played two seasons in the Under-18 World Championships for Russia. In five contests in 2007-08, Pechurski (6-foot, 187 pounds) recorded a 4-1 mark with a 3.06 goals-against average.

Pittsburgh
01-16-2010, 09:03 PM
Curry is getting the start and while he didn't look bad last season when he was needed, I would much rather have Fleury or Johnson in there against that Canucks team. It's a shame Fleury went down just when he started to heat back up again.

They also had Rupp on a line with Crosby and Guerin this morning and it appears that Caputi will sit for a third straight game.

Pittsburgh
01-17-2010, 12:51 AM
And it's 6-2 Canucks after two periods of hockey and Curry was pulled around the start of the second period after giving up his fifth goal of the night.

Ugly...that's all I really have to say about this game.

RuthlessBurgher
01-17-2010, 01:09 PM
And it's 6-2 Canucks after two periods of hockey and Curry was pulled around the start of the second period after giving up his fifth goal of the night.

Ugly...that's all I really have to say about this game.

I was at a friend's house for a party in which we ate too much while watching the Cards-Saints and Ravens-Colts. By the time I got home, it was 6-2 in the 3rd, and I even missed the "what you missed" segment during the second intermission. Pechurski looked okay in goal in the 3rd, but I guess Curry threw up all over himself, eh? Curry is a good little goaltender for us down here in W-B/S, but I guess he doesn't see talent like the Sedin twins in the AHL too much.

Pittsburgh
01-17-2010, 03:31 PM
While Curry was far from spectacular, I'm putting the majority of the blame on our defense for last night's massacre, who quite frankly have looked subpar at best over these last couple of games even with Orpik in the lineup. Overall, I felt three out of the five goals given up by Curry were not his fault. Two of the five were deflections in which Curry had good positioning, but they were deflections and he had no chance. The other one was the Burrows goal in which he stripped Gonchar at the point while we were on one of our fanstastic PP's and came in on a breakaway and scored. No chance.

While I'm not in complete Penguin panic mode just yet, I'm finding it very hard to put on the black and gold sunglasses and pretend all is well in Penguins La-La Land. This team has some major problems and changes will need to be made before the trade deadline. While I'm not doubting that we will make the playoffs, going any further is out of the question with the current makeup of this team in my opinion. I did not come to this conclusion after watching the game last night. It's not a spur of the moment reaction. It comes after watching our PP fail miserably and watching the wingers on our top two lines fail to put the puck away or dish a pass to a wide open Crosby or Malkin all year long.

Being able to beat Toronto, Carolina and Edmonton in the regular season is a little different than having to take on New Jersey or Washington in a seven game playoff series. As anyone who watches hockey already knows, it's a completely different animal. While I'm starting to question Bylsma as a HC, I still have faith in Shero when it comes to acquiring the pieces needed before the deadline in order for us to hang come playoff time.

Sorry for the rant. It's just very frustrating to watch.

Jigawatts
01-17-2010, 03:59 PM
I've had some things going on recently and haven't been able to keep up. I've actually had to DVR the Wednesday and Thursday night games and watch them when I got a chance, fast forwarding everything but the action. My question is, where's Johnson at?

Pittsburgh
01-17-2010, 04:17 PM
I've had some things going on recently and haven't been able to keep up. I've actually had to DVR the Wednesday and Thursday night games and watch them when I got a chance, fast forwarding everything but the action. My question is, where's Johnson at?

He has a "undisclosed injury" and is listed as day-to-day. From what I'm hearing, Fleury could be out until the end of the week with Johnson starting against the Isles with Curry as the #2.

This is pure speculation on my part, but Johnson's injury may have something to do with the MCL he slightly strained earlier in the season.

Jigawatts
01-17-2010, 04:40 PM

He has a "undisclosed injury" and is listed as day-to-day. From what I'm hearing, Fleury could be out until the end of the week with Johnson starting against the Isles with Curry as the #2.

This is pure speculation on my part, but Johnson's injury may have something to do with the MCL he slightly strained earlier in the season.

Thanks Pittsburgh.

Pittsburgh
01-19-2010, 02:03 PM
Thanks Pittsburgh.

No problem jigawatts. It looks like Johnson will get the nod tonight...

Brent Johnson appears poised to start in net tonight for the Penguins against the New York Islanders. Both Johnson and John Curry took part in today's morning skate, but Penguins coach Dan Bylsma indicated that Johnson will be between the pipes tonight.

"Brent Johnson looks like he's going to be in net tonight," Bylsma said. "I still have to get the (medical) report, but it looks like he will. John Curry would be the backup."

Johnson has been out more than a week with an undisclosed injury while starter Marc-Andre Fleury is currently out with a broken finger. Curry, whose only two career NHL wins are against the Islanders, allowed five goals in Vancouver before being yanked Saturday.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... 62939.html (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/s_662939.html)

Pittsburgh
01-23-2010, 03:15 PM
Penguins No. 1 goaltender Marc-Andre Fleury had full participation in the team's practice today at Mellon Arena and is expected to return tomorrow for an afternoon game at Philadelphia.

"I would say he's ready to start," coach Dan Bylsma said.

Fleury has missed the past three games because of a broken left ring finger. He said there is still some stinging but it is not enough to keep him out.

The Penguins sent goaltender John Curry back to Wilkes-Barre/Scranton of the American Hockey League.

Winger Pascal Dupuis also practiced and is expected to play against the Flyers. He got hit hard face-first into the boards Tuesday by Andy Sutton of the New York Islanders.

The news isn't as promising for forward Max Talbot, who skated on his own before practice and is doubtful at best for Philadelphia because of what is believed to be a groin injury. The Penguins probably will recall a forward from Wilkes-Barre.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10023/10 ... z0dSrWPdxw (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10023/1030659-100.stm#ixzz0dSrWPdxw)