PDA

View Full Version : Zeirlein (Irony, Coincidence, or WTF you want to call it)

BigRob
01-16-2010, 01:35 PM
I wonder if Larry Z has a picture of Kugler in a room that he shoots with bullets. If I am not mistaken, didn't Kugler take over for Larry Z with the Bills and then comes to the Steelers only to have his job taken again by Kugler?

stlrz d
01-16-2010, 01:57 PM
Technically it's coincidence, not irony...but good observation! :P

feltdizz
01-16-2010, 02:02 PM
You are a funny guy... and technically, you are an.al :D
http://www.bloofbooks.com/uploaded_images/cliff_claven-754697.jpg

RuthlessBurgher
01-16-2010, 03:32 PM

Isn't it ironic that Alanis Morissette's song called "Ironic" is chock full o' unfortunate situations rather than any actual irony? :P Doncha think?

stlrz d
01-16-2010, 03:48 PM

Isn't it ironic that Alanis Morissette's song called "Ironic" is chock full o' unfortunate situations rather than any actual irony? :P Doncha think?

I think the time that song came out is about the time people really started confusing the two.

This O. Henry classic is the ultimate definition of irony:

James [Jim] Dillingham Young and his wife Della are a young couple who are very much in love with each other, but can barely afford their one-room apartment due to their very bad economic situation. For Christmas, Della decides to buy Jim a chain which costs 21 dollars for his prized pocket watch given to him by his father. To raise the funds, she has her long and beautiful hair cut off and sold to make a wig. Meanwhile, Jim decides to sell his watch to buy Della a beautiful set of combs made out of tortoiseshell and jewels for her lovely, knee-length brown hair. Although each is disappointed to find the gift they chose rendered useless, each is pleased with the gift they received, because it represents their love for one another.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Gift_of_the_Magi

PS - yeah...pointing out that irony and coincidence are two different things is anal.... :roll:

BigRob
01-16-2010, 04:02 PM
Jesus Cristo, talk about taking a thread off topic fast.

Iron Shiek
01-16-2010, 05:03 PM
derailed!!! but that is interesting. Z might put that in his next contract: If Kugler replaces me...automatic million dollars.

RuthlessBurgher
01-16-2010, 05:25 PM
Instead of referring to the Zeirlein-Kugler situation as irony, we could just call it "Sloppy Seconds"...with apologies to Sean Avery, of course (although when the sloppy seconds in question refers to Elisha Cuthbert, I'd be happy to take even sloppier thirds whenever she breaks up with Dion Phaneuf). :wink:

:Boobs