PDA

View Full Version : LMAO - AP Coach of the Year

Iron Shiek
01-16-2010, 11:44 AM
MARVIN LEWIS. That guy cant coach his way out of a paper bag.

Starlifter
01-16-2010, 12:06 PM
only when you have failed so miserably for so long and set the bar impossibly low - can you consider marvin as COTY. The fact he simply made the playoffs is a miracle and due largely to the Steelers and the Rats collapsing and handing him the division. It's like when Chad Pennington earned comeback player of the year. When asked about it he commented 'i must have really sucked before'. winner winner chicken dinner......

feltdizz
01-16-2010, 12:50 PM
I think they are picking out of a grab bag for the awards this year. It's obvious the Jets are being blackballed. Rex Ryan must have taken a dump in someones shoe.

SidSmythe
01-16-2010, 02:51 PM
Sean Peyton??? He gave up some salary to bring in Greg Williams to coach the defense at it worked out great.

Norv Turner??? NFL Nice guy who after a rough start and injuries got this team to the 2nd seed.

Rex Ryan??? Playing good football w/ a rookie QB when it counts and beat Marvin Lewis head to head in Cincy.

Jeff Fisher??? Brought his team within playoff reach after a 0-6 start.

Wade Philips??? has the Cowboys playing championship football

MARVIN LEWIS???? started off great but at the end of the season this team was stale and unfocused. Beating the Steelers 2 times was their greatest accomplishment this season and it has them sitting at home!

BradshawsHairdresser
01-16-2010, 03:24 PM
I could give a crap about most of these awards...Why not wait until AFTER the Super Bowl to vote for these things? I would think getting your team to a league championship should factor in strongly, since (last time I checked) winning the Super Bowl is the #1 goal for NFL teams.

RuthlessBurgher
01-16-2010, 03:28 PM
I think in addition to the increase from 4 to 10 wins (think going from Ryan Fitzpatrick to Carson Palmer at QB had a little bit to do with that?), voters figured in that he managed to hold the team together in spite of numerous tragedies during the season such as the death of Mike Zimmer's wife, the death of Chris Henry, and impact that the devastating tsunami in Samoa had on numerous players of Samoan descent on the team (Peko, Fanene, Maualuga all likely had family on the island).

SteelBucks
01-16-2010, 04:04 PM
I may be in the minority but I don't have a problem with this. The Bengals beat the Steelers twice, Ravens twice, won 10 games and the AFC North. It's a pretty nice turnaround considering they finished 4-12 last year.

feltdizz
01-16-2010, 04:40 PM
I may be in the minority but I don't have a problem with this. The Bengals beat the Steelers twice, Ravens twice, won 10 games and the AFC North. It's a pretty nice turnaround considering they finished 4-12 last year.

beating us meant little this year... I feel like conference games are like college. You can get up to beat a rival because you know their tendencies..

I think the Bungles are built to be 10 game winners every year.. Lewis and co. find ways to lose.. like we did this year.

BURGH86STEEL
01-16-2010, 05:28 PM

I agree with you. This kind of stuff makes Steelers fans look jealous or somethin. I think if I were a Bengals fan and read this, I would be LMAO at Steeler's fans reactions. Lewis seems like he is a good guy. Congrats to him.

RuthlessBurgher
01-16-2010, 05:48 PM
Marvin was a solid LB coach for us before heading to Baltimore to become a D.C. and then to Cincinnatti to become a H.C. Considering that he works for Mike Brown (second only to Al Davis for incompetance among executives who fancy themselves as talent evaluators), he's doing a reasonably good job with the Bengals.

stlrz d
01-16-2010, 06:58 PM

beating us meant little this year... I feel like conference games are like college. You can get up to beat a rival because you know their tendencies..

I think the Bungles are built to be 10 game winners every year.. Lewis and co. find ways to lose.. like we did this year.

They're not.

feltdizz
01-17-2010, 01:32 PM

They're not.

I think they are... there is a reason a USC can stomp mudholes in everyone then slip against Stanford or Oregon State.

Conference games have rivalries and the players know each others tendencies compared to playing a team you meet once every few years.

But I know... College isn't the NFL so how dare I compaire the 2. LOL

Good ole Cliff.

NKySteeler
01-17-2010, 02:10 PM

X2.......

steelblood
01-17-2010, 03:13 PM
Rex Ryan. And, it isn't even close. Dude has done a phenomenal job.

stlrz d
01-17-2010, 04:32 PM

They're not.

I think they are... there is a reason a USC can stomp mudholes in everyone then slip against Stanford or Oregon State.

Conference games have rivalries and the players know each others tendencies compared to playing a team you meet once every few years.

Good ole Cliff.

They're not.

feltdizz
01-17-2010, 04:35 PM
[quote=SteelBucks]I may be in the minority but I don't have a problem with this. The Bengals beat the Steelers twice, Ravens twice, won 10 games and the AFC North. It's a pretty nice turnaround considering they finished 4-12 last year.

They're not.

Good ole Cliff.

They're not.[/quote:3aqrvq2d]

Thanks Cliff.. say hi to Norm for me.. :wink:

stlrz d
01-17-2010, 04:46 PM
I did. He says you're an idiot and that you post some of the stupidest sh!t on the net. He says you should STFU and most definitely stop posting here if you can't form a rational, conspiracy theory free thought. You embarrass Steelers Nation. Norm doesn't like that.

feltdizz
01-17-2010, 05:18 PM
I did. He says you're an idiot and that you post some of the stupidest sh!t on the net. He says you should STFU and most definitely stop posting here if you can't form a rational, conspiracy theory free thought. You embarrass Steelers Nation. Norm doesn't like that.

LMAO...

SanAntonioSteelerFan
01-18-2010, 02:27 AM
After this weekend I would vote for Buddy Ryan's kid over at the Jets for Coach of the Year. I mean, is it really any contest now, who's made the most out of the least?

Jom112
01-18-2010, 11:18 AM
Marvin sucked it up in the playoff game, but during the regular season he did a great job.

Rex Ryan did great in the postseason but I think he lost his chance at being COY when the Colts and Bengals rested their players. Jets might have still been able to beat both teams (Definitely us), but I think that ended his bid for COY.

I would have given it to Sean Payton though, I thought he deserved it...

steelblood
01-19-2010, 09:04 AM
Marvin sucked it up in the playoff game, but during the regular season he did a great job.

Rex Ryan did great in the postseason but I think he lost his chance at being COY when the Colts and Bengals rested their players. Jets might have still been able to beat both teams (Definitely us), but I think that ended his bid for COY.

What did Marvin do?

Zimmer fixed the D. In all the years Marvin (former D coordinator) has been there, the D hasn't really played very well. Now Zimmer comes in, and they play lights out. Marvin should give the award to Zimmer (and perhaps the oline coach). Anyone could see they would not last long in the playoffs.

Ryan started a rookie QB and made the playoffs. That is a huge accomplishment. Ryan also breathed new life into that defense and put a great staff together.

Ryan is a motivator of men. Marvin Lewis is a nice guy.

stlrz d
01-19-2010, 09:41 AM

What did Marvin do?

Zimmer fixed the D. In all the years Marvin (former D coordinator) has been there, the D hasn't really played very well. Now Zimmer comes in, and they play lights out. Marvin should give the award to Zimmer (and perhaps the oline coach). Anyone could see they would not last long in the playoffs.

Ryan started a rookie QB and made the playoffs. That is a huge accomplishment. Ryan also breathed new life into that defense and put a great staff together.

I'd be willing to bet anything that Lewis deflected all credit to his players and his staff.

steelblood
01-19-2010, 10:37 AM

What did Marvin do?

I'd be willing to bet anything that Lewis deflected all credit to his players and his staff.

As he should. What is your point? Does that make him deserving?

feltdizz
01-19-2010, 10:57 AM

What did Marvin do?

because he is a nice guy...

Jom112
01-19-2010, 11:02 AM

What did Marvin do?

Getting to the playoffs with a rookie QB doesn't automatically get you a COY award. Harbaugh and Mike Smith did that last season. Plus the Jets were 9-7 last year and they finished 9-7 again this year. A zero game improvement.

Bengals finished 4-11-1 last season and 10-6 this year. You can say most of that credit goes to Carson, but the majority of people I've talked to his year keeps harping on how Carson is no longer a top QB in the NFL anymore. Can't have it both ways.

Zimmer and Paul Alexander (O-Line coach) definitely deserve the majority of the praise, you won't hear any argument from me there. But Marvin is the one that brought in Zimmer and as Zimmer just stated it was mainly working WITH Marvin that kept him in Cincy. Plus Marvin recruited Fitzgerald a couple of seasons ago to be our LB coach from Baltimore. Fitzgerald should get a lot of credit as well for our improved defensive play.

Also Marvin is the one that pushed during the offseason for Brat to change the offensive strategy to become a run first team. Our passing game is subpar and if that change wasn't made early we wouldn't have made the playoffs this season.

There are always 3 or 4 deserving HC's that could have won the award. I think Marvin was one of them this season.

As for the Marvin is a "nice guy" comment, I think a lot of voters changed their opinion of Marvin after watching Hard Knocks. Anyone that saw him go off on the team after the preseason loss to the Rams, will know what I'm talking about. Perception and reality are two different things, and after people saw how fiery Marvin really can be their perceptions of him changed...

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
01-19-2010, 12:22 PM
Marvin was a solid LB coach for us before heading to Baltimore to become a D.C. and then to Cincinnatti to become a H.C. Considering that he works for Mike Brown (second only to Al Davis for incompetance among executives who fancy themselves as talent evaluators), he's doing a reasonably good job with the Bengals.

How do you keep Ralph Wilson off of this list?

feltdizz
01-19-2010, 12:32 PM
Jets were 9-7 with Brett Favre... Jets with Sanchez were not expected to win...

The only thing the Bungles did was finally play to their talent level/strength.

cruzer8
01-19-2010, 01:05 PM
Lewis was deserving.

RuthlessBurgher
01-19-2010, 02:35 PM

How do you keep Ralph Wilson off of this list?

Old Man Ralph knows enough to hire an actual G.M. (unlike Al and Mike that stubbornly think they can do that job themselves), but he is dumb enough to let talented personnel men get away (Bill Polian, the late John Butler, A.J. Smith).

feltdizz
01-19-2010, 02:49 PM
Lewis was deserving.
I think it's laughable for a coach to under achive for 3 to 4 years and get this award for finally playing to the talent level they have.

Jom112
01-19-2010, 03:11 PM
Lewis was deserving.
I think it's laughable for a coach to under achive for 3 to 4 years and get this award for finally playing to the talent level they have.

How exactly did we have a high talent level? Look at all the players that have left the Bengals who were "starters"/key backup players on our team but not even backup worthy on others.

Caleb Miller - Who started several games at LB isn't in the NFL anymore.

Keiwan Ratliff - Our #3 CB and started several games because Johnathan Joseph had injury issues was cut by several teams. He wasn't even good enough to last in your secondary this season.

Landon Johnson - Starting LB for us and our leading tackler for two seasons is a backup in Carolina and barely holding on to a roster spot.

Chris Perry - Our starting RB heading into 2008, not in the NFL anymore.

Rudi Johhnson - Not in the NFL anymore

Levi Jones - Our "Franchise" LT devastated by knees injuries after the 2005 season, can barely make a team anymore. Yet was our starter at LT up until this season.

Stacy Andrews - The "Franchise" RT can't break the Eagles starting lineup, yet was our starter last season at RT.

Tab Perry, Tony Stewart, Deltha O'Neal, John Thornton, Kyle Larson. I can go on and go about the "talent" that this team had the past couple of seasons.

Also if we were soooo loaded then why did we have 8 rookies this season seeing significant playing time this season? Andre Smith, Rey Maualuga, Michael Johnson, Kevin Huber, Morgan Trent, Tom Nelson, Quan Cosby and Bernard Scott.

The team this season had some talent on Defense, but previous seasons we have had some horrible players starting...

feltdizz
01-19-2010, 03:37 PM
Lewis was deserving.

How exactly did we have a high talent level? Look at all the players that have left the Bengals who were "starters"/key backup players on our team but not even backup worthy on others.

Caleb Miller - Who started several games at LB isn't in the NFL anymore.

Keiwan Ratliff - Our #3 CB and started several games because Johnathan Joseph had injury issues was cut by several teams. He wasn't even good enough to last in your secondary this season.

Landon Johnson - Starting LB for us and our leading tackler for two seasons is a backup in Carolina and barely holding on to a roster spot.

Chris Perry - Our starting RB heading into 2008, not in the NFL anymore.

Rudi Johhnson - Not in the NFL anymore

Levi Jones - Our "Franchise" LT devastated by knees injuries after the 2005 season, can barely make a team anymore. Yet was our starter at LT up until this season.

Stacy Andrews - The "Franchise" RT can't break the Eagles starting lineup, yet was our starter last season at RT.

Tab Perry, Tony Stewart, Deltha O'Neal, John Thornton, Kyle Larson. I can go on and go about the "talent" that this team had the past couple of seasons.

Also if we were soooo loaded then why did we have 8 rookies this season seeing significant playing time this season? Andre Smith, Rey Maualuga, Michael Johnson, Kevin Huber, Morgan Trent, Tom Nelson, Quan Cosby and Bernard Scott.

The team this season had some talent on Defense, but previous seasons we have had some horrible players starting...

it sounds better when a Bengals fan gives the back story. I'm almost convinced... Not 100% but you have swayed me a little.

I never said yu guys had a high talent level. I said playing to your talent level...

steelblood
01-19-2010, 05:29 PM
Getting to the playoffs with a rookie QB doesn't automatically get you a COY award. Harbaugh and Mike Smith did that last season.

Mike Smith won the AP COY last season. I believe Harbaugh finished 3rd or 4th.

As for the Marvin is a "nice guy" comment, I think a lot of voters changed their opinion of Marvin after watching Hard Knocks. Anyone that saw him go off on the team after the preseason loss to the Rams, will know what I'm talking about. Perception and reality are two different things, and after people saw how fiery Marvin really can be their perceptions of him changed...

I watched every Hard Knocks episode, and I've been in Cincinnati for 6 years. My neighbor is one of the Bengal's assistant coaches. I've got a little perspective on the matter. While it is true that Marvin yelled at his team that time, that doesn't prove that he is a disciplinarian or that he isn't too nice in general. When watching that particular episode, I felt that he was yelling BECAUSE there were cameras there. What the Hell else is he going to do after that game? He and the franchise were on display. He would have looked foolish if he didn't lay into them.

I have great respect for Marvin as a person. He really does a lot for the community and cares about his players and coaches. However, I don't believe he was COY this season. I don't think he was in the top 4.

Jom112
01-19-2010, 05:45 PM
it sounds better when a Bengals fan gives the back story. I'm almost convinced... Not 100% but you have swayed me a little.

I never said yu guys had a high talent level. I said playing to your talent level...

Fair enough. Like I said it could have gone to 3-4 other coaches: Caldwell, Payton, Ryan, etc... But I don't think it's a sham that Marvin ended up with it...

I watched every Hard Knocks episode, and I've been in Cincinnati for 6 years. My neighbor is one of the Bengal's assistant coaches. I've got a little perspective on the matter. While it is true that Marvin yelled at his team that time, that doesn't prove that he is a disciplinarian or that he isn't too nice in general. When watching that particular episode, I felt that he was yelling BECAUSE there were cameras there. What the Hell else is he going to do after that game? He and the franchise were on display. He would have looked foolish if he didn't lay into them.

I have great respect for Marvin as a person. He really does a lot for the community and cares about his players and coaches. However, his performance as a coach is consistently underwhelming.

I don't think it was just for the camera's. John Thornton who was our starting DT/DE up until this season talked about it: http://cincinnati.com/blogs/bengals/tag/john-thornton/

2. Marvin Lewis. Since I brought up coach Lewis, I will keep it going. I have been around many of Marvinís blow-ups. Each one is different. I could always tell when we were going to get it. Any sloppy loss at home equals a blow up. Any game lost by the defense equals a blow up. Any loss to a division team equals a blow up. Any loss to Steelers or Ravens equals a double blow up!

When the F-bomb comes put, coach is really upset. And it came out after the Rams game.

steelblood
01-19-2010, 05:49 PM

Fair enough. Like I said it could have gone to 3-4 other coaches: Caldwell, Payton, Ryan, etc... But I don't think it's a sham that Marvin ended up with it...

I have great respect for Marvin as a person. He really does a lot for the community and cares about his players and coaches. However, his performance as a coach is consistently underwhelming.

I don't think it was just for the camera's. John Thornton who was our starting DT/DE up until this season talked about it: http://cincinnati.com/blogs/bengals/tag/john-thornton/

2. Marvin Lewis. Since I brought up coach Lewis, I will keep it going. I have been around many of Marvinís blow-ups. Each one is different. I could always tell when we were going to get it. Any sloppy loss at home equals a blow up. Any game lost by the defense equals a blow up. Any loss to a division team equals a blow up. Any loss to Steelers or Ravens equals a double blow up!

When the F-bomb comes put, coach is really upset. And it came out after the Rams game.

It is cool Jom. You are good dude and, while I disagree about Marvin being tough or a disciplinarian, it really isn't a big deal. He did have a good season, and the Bengals seem to be headed in the right direction (at least the defense and the o-line).

feltdizz
01-19-2010, 08:57 PM
Getting to the playoffs with a rookie QB doesn't automatically get you a COY award. Harbaugh and Mike Smith did that last season.

Mike Smith won the AP COY last season. I believe Harbaugh finished 3rd or 4th.

I loved Cincy when I visited.. reminded me of Pittsburgh with the river and the bridges..

It was grimy as hell downtown though.. like third world gutter grimey..

I always said it was the nicest city from the second floor up..

I have great respect for Marvin as a person. He really does a lot for the community and cares about his players and coaches. However, I don't believe he was COY this season. I don't think he was in the top 4.

Jom112
01-20-2010, 12:11 PM
I loved Cincy when I visited.. reminded me of Pittsburgh with the river and the bridges..

It was grimy as hell downtown though.. like third world gutter grimey..

I always said it was the nicest city from the second floor up..

The last time I went to Cincy for the Broncos home opener, I was expecting downtown to be a little more lively and cleaner. It definitely is a grimy city.

Next Cincy game I go to will probably be an away game... :lol: