PDA

View Full Version : kicking the dead horse

steelnavy
01-15-2010, 06:54 PM
Just to keep Feltdizz busy with his "Arians for president speeches," I noticed one more fact that stuck out to me:

Both the offense and defense had let downs after half time. Total offensive scoring declined by 56 points, from scoring 200 points in the first half to 144 in the second. At the same time, the defense saw an increase of 68 points allowed, giving up 100 in the first half and 168 in the second. (Equates to a total difference of 12 points between the letdown in performance of the two units).

...............1st Qtr...2nd Qtr...3rd Qtr...4th Qtr... OT...Final
Offense......81.........119........61.........83.. ........3.... 347
Defense.....39..........61.........47.........121. ........6.... 274

The defense definitely let the team down (worst performance of both units) in the fourth quarter, while the offense slowed down a little bit in the third quarter.

But the argument that ITS ALL THE DEFENSES' FAULT because the Steelers had a lead and lost it is (IMO) flawed. BOTH units created that first half lead and BOTH units were at fault for losing it. If the offense had continued to score at the same pace (instead of slowing down), we would be talking about the playoff game this weekend.

Instead, I am left to beg Feltdizz to lecture everyone who disagrees with him that they:

- Dont watch the games
- Are looking for a scapegoat
- Have an agenda
- Cherry pick stats
- Aren't realists

Did I miss anything? :D

Djfan
01-15-2010, 07:09 PM
You forgot about the overpaid janitor thing.

anger 82&95
01-15-2010, 08:12 PM
Which unit, offense or defense, was most affected by injuries?

BURGH86STEEL
01-15-2010, 08:40 PM
Just to keep Feltdizz busy with his "Arians for president speeches," I noticed one more fact that stuck out to me:

Both the offense and defense had let downs after half time. Total offensive scoring declined by 56 points, from scoring 200 points in the first half to 144 in the second. At the same time, the defense saw an increase of 68 points allowed, giving up 100 in the first half and 168 in the second. (Equates to a total difference of 12 points between the letdown in performance of the two units).

The defense definitely let the team down (worst performance of both units) in the fourth quarter, while the offense slowed down a little bit in the third quarter.

But the argument that ITS ALL THE DEFENSES' FAULT because the Steelers had a lead and lost it is (IMO) flawed. BOTH units created that first half lead and BOTH units were at fault for losing it. If the offense had continued to score at the same pace (instead of slowing down), we would be talking about the playoff game this weekend.

Instead, I am left to beg Feltdizz to lecture everyone who disagrees with him that they:

- Dont watch the games
- Have an agenda
- Cherry pick stats
- Aren't realists

I don't know if anyone said it was all the defenses fault. We do have people around that seem to suggest that everything was BA fault. All 3 units had their issues this season.

If the special teams did not give up scores. If the defense made stops at the end of games. If the offense scored with every possession the team had. If Ben or Troy did not get hurt. If Reed did not miss FG's. We can play the if or what if game. At this point it does not matter. Bottom line is the won and loss games as a team. It was not one units or person's fault.

grotonsteel
01-15-2010, 08:41 PM

- Dont watch the games
- Have an agenda
- Cherry pick stats
- Aren't realists

Since you have mentioned feltdizz in your post so let him answer those queries

But according to me no one here is claiming its all on DEFENSE but there are so many people here who blame BA for pathetic Steelers D in 4th Q (Steelers D got tired because they pass a lot stuff).My point is Steelers teams are know for its defense and adequate Offense hence Steelers D take majority of the blame.

Steelers D could not create a single turnover against KC/CHI/CLE/OAK. How many big plays/drives Steelers D gave this season????People blame Troy/Smith injuries for poor defense but if your defense need Troy/Smith against KC/OAK/CLE then your defense has big issues. Did Dick Lebeau make any adjustment to his so called complex schemes when Troy was injured??? If your defense depend on one player to create turnovers then that scheme is a big failure. Dick Lebeau's so called complex schemes are confusing our own players. Opp QB are having field day against these complex schemes. Make schemes that rookies can understand and let them contribute.

Steelers will go as far as Big Ben will take them in 2010-11 season. Just hope that Steelers improve Red Zone offense and short yardage running in 2010-11 season because we will need 30-35 points a game to win.I say improve O-line and get a short yardage RB since Mendy is not the answer for 3rd and 3.

Steelers D is getting old and if players like Ziggy or Timmons don't contribute next season they are going to struggle in 2010-11. Rookies aint gonna contribute in their first year on Defense because of the complex schemes and Troy is not going to fix everything.

Mister Pittsburgh
01-15-2010, 08:47 PM
Which unit, offense or defense, was most affected by injuries?

Ohhhh, no, no, no.....the level of expectation does not change no matter who is in there...be it pro bowl safety Troy Polumalu or 33 year old slow as hell Tyrone Carter. Whether its career backup Kirshke or pro bowl defensive end Aaron Smith...it doesn't matter. :lol:

grotonsteel
01-15-2010, 08:53 PM
[quote="anger 82&95":cycodtgj]Which unit, offense or defense, was most affected by injuries?

Ohhhh, no, no, no.....the level of expectation does not change no matter who is in there...be it pro bowl safety Troy Polumalu or 33 year old slow as hell Tyrone Carter. Whether its career backup Kirshke or pro bowl defensive end Aaron Smith...it doesn't matter. :lol:[/quote:cycodtgj]

My bad Steelers do need Troy/Smith to hold high octane offense of CHI/KC/OAK/CLE.

feltdizz
01-15-2010, 09:23 PM

- Dont watch the games
- Have an agenda
- Cherry pick stats
- Aren't realists

Why waste my breath? You lectured for me.... 8)

If the offense kept scoring at the same pace in the second half...

:Blah this guy :Blah

feltdizz
01-15-2010, 09:31 PM
[quote="anger 82&95":3rftvwku]Which unit, offense or defense, was most affected by injuries?

Ohhhh, no, no, no.....the level of expectation does not change no matter who is in there...be it pro bowl safety Troy Polumalu or 33 year old slow as hell Tyrone Carter. Whether its career backup Kirshke or pro bowl defensive end Aaron Smith...it doesn't matter. :lol:

My bad Steelers do need Troy/Smith to hold high octane offense of CHI/KC/OAK/CLE.[/quote:3rftvwku]

These guys.... the excuses border on delusional. If, if, if.... if they accepted the reality that our D stank in the 4th last year this would be over already. I like how they point out the old heads on D... maybe if our youngsters didn't have to learn the Zone Blitz Britannica we could've replaced Carter and Gay....

SteelTorch
01-15-2010, 10:38 PM

- Dont watch the games
- Have an agenda
- Cherry pick stats
- Aren't realists

Nice dodge there. I'm surprised you ddin't bring up the defense. :roll:

feltdizz
01-15-2010, 11:00 PM

- Dont watch the games
- Have an agenda
- Cherry pick stats
- Aren't realists

Nice dodge there. I'm surprised you ddin't bring up the defense. :roll:

what's to dodge? He said what I have been saying in 4 other threads over and over again...

I win the argument too... :tt2

anger 82&95
01-15-2010, 11:08 PM

- Dont watch the games
- Have an agenda
- Cherry pick stats
- Aren't realists

I don't know if anyone said it was all the defenses fault. We do have people around that seem to suggest that everything was BA fault. All 3 units had their issues this season.

If the special teams did not give up scores. If the defense made stops at the end of games. If the offense scored with every possession the team had. If Ben or Troy did not get hurt. If Reed did not miss FG's. We can play the if or what if game. At this point it does not matter. Bottom line is the won and loss games as a team. It was not one units or person's fault.The special teams must improve drastically. Basically, keep Reed away from the alcohol, and everyone else learn to tackle.

SteelTorch
01-15-2010, 11:32 PM
what's to dodge? He said what I have been saying in 4 other threads over and over again...

No, you don't. And the reason you don't win is because you've been stupidly bringing up the same half-witted arguments every time somebody dares criticize your butt-buddy Arians. :wink: Another reason you don't is because your arugments consist of dodging the issue, blame-shifting, and name-calling. Never have I seen you once actually try to back up your support with facts. It's always the same BS, every time. Arguing with you is like arguing with a child. It's impossible to win because you're either too stupid or too stubborn to ever hear the other side of the issue. 8)

feltdizz
01-16-2010, 12:04 AM

No, you don't. And the reason you don't win is because you've been stupidly bringing up the same half-witted arguments every time somebody dares criticize your butt-buddy Arians. :wink: Another reason you don't is because your arugments consist of dodging the issue, blame-shifting, and name-calling. Never have I seen you once actually try to back up your support with facts. It's always the same BS, every time. Arguing with you is like arguing with a child. It's impossible to win because you're either too stupid or too stubborn to ever hear the other side of the issue. 8)

I heard your side.... I didn't agree with it. Look at the thread title and the content provided by Steelnavy.... he damn near stole my thunder... who needs my input when he delivered the death blow to his own argument?

I only defended BA when people blamed him for the D's failures this year...
I said in 2008 the BA hate was warranted but not last year...

why are you guys so....
http://www.iwatchstuff.com/2009/01/23/obsessed-poster.jpg

Djfan
01-16-2010, 12:53 AM
Torch,

Let me explain it to you:

The D was impacted by age and injury, so no matter how sucky BA was again this year, he is just fine. See, someone else out-stunk him this year, so BA is not a problem.

Get it now?

NorthCoast
01-16-2010, 10:04 AM
While I agree the defense was the biggest problem, no way you can let the offense off the hook.

As I posted elsewhere, during our 5 game losing streak the offense was virtually non-existent in scoring during the 1st and 3rd qtrs. If you think about that a little, it smacks of being out-gameplanned, out-coached. Those 2 quarters should be the ones where the offense is most prepared (as it was at the beginning of the year).

Also, in the ToP Scoring summary I posted, it was not shown but all of the lengthy, time-consuming drives I listed were towards the first half of the year. There were no long drives like that at the end of the year.

Also, we were 1/2 pt per game above the league average on scoring. Not exactly juggernaut.

All that said, fix the defense and we will be back in the playoffs next season.

steelnavy
01-16-2010, 11:22 AM
Also, we were 1/2 pt per game above the league average on scoring. Not exactly juggernaut.

There is ANOTHER fact against Arians that Feltdizz will choose to ignore. I bet the Steelers D is far better than a 1/2 point from league average, but it is somehow STILL the D's fault more than the O's. :roll: .

grotonsteel
01-16-2010, 12:15 PM

There is ANOTHER fact against Arians that Feltdizz will choose to ignore. I bet the Steelers D is far better than a 1/2 point from league average, but it is somehow STILL the D's fault more than the O's. :roll: .

Well you are saying as if Steelers had No.1 offense in the league in 2008-9 season and they sucked in 2009-10 season?? Just read Art Rooney II article. Can they improve hell yes but to blame O for 2009-10 season is a joke.

How many turnover did steelers D created this season???

Steelers pass D was ranked 16th from No. 1 in 2008.

Was Joe Montana/Dan Marino playing for CHI/KC/DET/OAK/CLE ?? KC did not even have their No.1 WR D Bowe.

Start worrying about Steelers D in 2010-11 season. Steelers D is getting old and rookies are unable to contribute because of so called Dick lebeau's scheme.Another injury to Troy and we are looking at Paper Curtain Steelers D again.

feltdizz
01-16-2010, 12:40 PM

league averages? LMFAO... Who cares about the league average... Just improve the passing D.

SteelTorch
01-16-2010, 02:30 PM

I heard your side.... I didn't agree with it. Look at the thread title and the content provided by Steelnavy.... he damn near stole my thunder... who needs my input when he delivered the death blow to his own argument?

why are you guys so....
Yeah, you didn't agree with it, but your reasons are foolish. That was the reason why Steelnavy posted those points. They didn't destroy his argument, they only pointed out the ridiculousness of yours. Because all you do is back up your support with name-calling, ignoring facts, and finger pointing. Not a good strategy.

And nobody here is blaming BA for the defense's failures. You just seem to think so. However, some people, such as you and Burgh, refuse to admit he's even a problem at all. That is why you fail. 8)

I bet you couldn't even provide me one good reason why Arians should stay. And don't point to Lombardis or wins - those are team efforts.

Torch,

Let me explain it to you:

The D was impacted by age and injury, so no matter how sucky BA was again this year, he is just fine. See, someone else out-stunk him this year, so BA is not a problem.

Get it now?
Yeah, silly me. :roll:

grotonsteel
01-16-2010, 02:52 PM

why are you guys so....
Yeah, you didn't agree with it, but your reasons are foolish. That was the reason why Steelnavy posted those points. They didn't destroy his argument, they only pointed out the ridiculousness of yours. Because all you do is back up your support with name-calling, ignoring facts, and finger pointing. Not a good strategy.

And nobody here is blaming BA for the defense's failures.

Well few people over here suggested Steelers D is horrible because they are tired in 4th Q . And the reason they are tired because BA calls more passing plays. In other words BA is responsible for Steelers Pass D failures.

Same people complain when he calls run-run-pass saying we are not going for a kill. Steelers are playing tutrtleball :Blah ...Go figure... :roll:

These people somehow are failing to understand Steelers D is old and they lack playmakers.Blame Dick Lebeau/Tomlin/Colbert for that. All talk about change never happened.

Again no one here has said Arians is God. Infact i think they should have replaced Arians this offseason. If i am Mike Tomlin i will throw away those stupid complex schemes by Dick Lebeau which confuse only young Steelers players and hence old Steelers D on the field.

feltdizz
01-16-2010, 02:54 PM
Silly you is right... You are taking this way too personal. No one ever said the O didn't have problems... but the majority of the post you had on BA always linked him to the D's failures or struggles. You keep asking why BA should stay and then run off a list of positives we can't include.
You talk about BA like he has a helmet on or works with robots...

Most plays work when the offense executes.. that is why BA should stay. If we looked like the Browns game EVERY game or more than not then I wouldn't have a problem with him going.

You guys talk about BA like his first and last game was the Browns game and Ben is a rookie. If Ben wants BA then I want BA. Whether you like it or not Ben is the franchise...

Even if I agreed with you... I don't, but EVEN if I agreed with you what changes does that make for our team next season. It's like you have some BA hate club and you are mad I won't join... Get over yourself dude.

.... and pointing out the positives is not pointing fingers... or is it? Who cares

SteelTorch
01-16-2010, 03:03 PM
Silly you is right... You are taking this way too personal. No one ever said the O didn't have problems... but the majority of the post you had on BA always linked him to the D's failures or struggles.
See, that is where you fail. I have NEVER linked BA to the defense's struggles. In fact, in the one thread that did claim that, I was pointing out that it WASN'T the offense's fault. You can't even get the facts on MY opinions straight. :roll:

You keep asking why BA should stay and then run off a list of positives we can't include.

Most plays work when the offense executes.. that is why BA should stay. If we looked like the Browns game EVERY game or more than not then I wouldn't have a problem with him going.

You guys talk about BA like his first and last game was the Browns game and Ben is a rookie. If Ben wants BA then I want BA. Whether you like it or not Ben is the franchise...

Even if I agreed with you... I don't, but EVEN if I agreed with you what changes does that make for our team next season. It's like you have some BA hate club and you are mad I won't join... Get over yourself dude.

.... and pointing out the positives is not pointing fingers... or is it? Who cares
Yep. I knew you couldn't do it. 8)

feltdizz
01-16-2010, 04:42 PM
Silly you is right... You are taking this way too personal. No one ever said the O didn't have problems... but the majority of the post you had on BA always linked him to the D's failures or struggles.
See, that is where you fail. I have NEVER linked BA to the defense's struggles. In fact, in the one thread that did claim that, I was pointing out that it WASN'T the offense's fault. You can't even get the facts on MY opinions straight. :roll:

You keep asking why BA should stay and then run off a list of positives we can't include.

Yep. I knew you couldn't do it. 8)

keep kicking the horse... it's dead.

steelnavy
01-16-2010, 08:25 PM

Steel torch, you save me time typing because you and I are on the same page on this. I never linked BA to the D's struggles either (and I don't even recall hearing that before - though someone may have said it). I agree about Feldizz and his lack of ability to comprehend or debate a topic (unless he is really BA coming on here to blindly defend himself - that, I would understand). Funny how Feltdizz took the "fire BA" mantra (based on the popular opinion that he sucks as an O coordinator) and turned it around as defending BA because we were unfairly blaming the Defense's woes on him. Never happened. And also funny how he ignores all stats against BA (and accuses us of cherry picking) but loves to quote the passing and receiving numbers as proof of his greatness in the same breath.

BURGH86STEEL
01-16-2010, 08:47 PM

Steel torch, you save me time typing because you and I are on the same page on this. I never linked BA to the D's struggles either (and I don't even recall hearing that before - though someone may have said it). I agree about Feldizz and his lack of ability to comprehend or debate a topic (unless he is really BA coming on here to blindly defend himself - that, I would understand). Funny how Feltdizz took the "fire BA" mantra (based on the popular opinion that he sucks as an O coordinator) and turned it around as defending BA because we were unfairly blaming the Defense's woes on him. Never happened. And also funny how he ignores all stats against BA (and accuses us of cherry picking) but loves to quote the passing and receiving numbers as proof of his greatness in the same breath.

I don't think anyone said BA was great. He is not the goat some of you make him either.

feltdizz
01-16-2010, 10:33 PM

Lemme kick it again...

I never brought up the 4000 and 1000 stats... you guys keep asking the same question and then ask people not to use the stat. No one is in love with BA... You guys just hate him so much anyone who doesn't agree with you gets labelled as such.

Can you 2 stroke each other in a PM though... The man love is gross.

feltdizz
01-16-2010, 11:58 PM
I think I went too far... I watched the Saints today and they ran the empty set a ton on 3rd and short but they have the personnel to do it. Maybe BA is the wrong guy for us.... He should be fired. I hope it happens and I will start a countdown... Torch, ability, navy....We can do this, BA will pay.