PDA

View Full Version : Steelers interviewing Al Everest for ST

calmkiller
01-15-2010, 04:59 PM
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... tml?feed=9 (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_662441.html?feed=9)

The Steelers are interviewing Al Everest today for the opening they have at special teams coordinator.

The Steelers interviewed Bobby April for the position last weekend but the Philadelphia Eagles hired him this week to oversee their special teams units.

Everest just completed his third season as the San Francisco 49ers' special teams coordinator and 14th in the NFL.

He previously served as the special teams coach for the New Orleans Saints (2000-05) and the Arizona Cardinals (1996-99).

Coach Mike Tomlin interviewed Bobby April last week

In other Steelers news, linebackers coach Keith Butler has turned down the defensive coordinator job that was offered to him by the Miami Dolphins.

Butler interviewed for the position earlier this week.

"Happy that Keith's coming back," Steelers president Al Everest said.

So they are interviewing him for the ST job but it looks like hes already the team president. lol

costanza2k1
01-15-2010, 05:14 PM
yeah how's that for a typo...

calmkiller
01-15-2010, 05:27 PM
Looks like they have fixed it. Funny none the less.

Iron Shiek
01-15-2010, 05:37 PM
Ha! That made me crack up.

Well, no big splash type names, but lets hope these coaches will get the job done. I will continue to have faith in the FO and our chief sanitation engineer.

anger 82&95
01-15-2010, 05:47 PM
Ha! That made me crack up.

Well, no big splash type names, but lets hope these coaches will get the job done. I will continue to have faith in the FO and our chief sanitation engineer.LOL...

costanza2k1
01-15-2010, 06:05 PM
FWIW

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... ?related=1 (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/01/05/niners-throw-al-everest-off-the-cliff/?related=1)

Niners throw Al Everest off the cliff
Posted by Mike Florio on January 5, 2010 11:31 PM ET
Though the 49ers have finished with a non-losing record for the first time since 2002, at least one head is rolling.

According to Matt Maiocco of the Santa Rosa Press Democrat, special teams coordinator Al Everest won't be returning in 2010.

Everest joined the team in 2007, hired by former head coach Mike Nolan. His three-year contract expired after the 2009 season.

As Maiocco explains, Everest freelanced on December 6, calling for a reverse on a punt return without the blessing of coach Mike Singletary. The exchange resulted in a fumble, and the turnover contributed to a 20-17 loss to the Seahawks.

After the game, Everest explained that he had not properly communicated to Singletary the possibility that the maneuver would be used in a game.

costanza2k1
01-15-2010, 06:07 PM
Panthers may consider this guy too:

...Former 49ers assistant Al Everest is another option. He was Jim Haslett's special teams coach in New Orleans and had good success there...

http://www.americanchronicle.com/articles/yb/140030586

steelblood
01-15-2010, 09:02 PM
Why is San Francisco willing to let him go?

costanza2k1
01-15-2010, 10:30 PM
Why is San Francisco willing to let him go?

He's no longer there in SF:

As Maiocco explains, Everest freelanced on December 6, calling for a reverse on a punt return without the blessing of coach Mike Singletary. The exchange resulted in a fumble, and the turnover contributed to a 20-17 loss to the Seahawks.

BradshawsHairdresser
01-16-2010, 11:21 AM
So we're bringing in a freelancer to interview for the ST coordinator job?

RuthlessBurgher
01-16-2010, 12:13 PM

I don't think calling for a reverse on a punt return would require the blessing of your head coach. Something like a fake punt or an onside kick would, but you have to let your assistant coaches actually coach. If he saw something in the other team's coverage that made him think that a reverse on a punt return would work against this team, then it is hard to blast him for it just because the players botched the handoff, resulting in a fumble.

feltdizz
01-16-2010, 12:31 PM

I don't think calling for a reverse on a punt return would require the blessing of your head coach. Something like a fake punt or an onside kick would, but you have to let your assistant coaches actually coach. If he saw something in the other team's coverage that made him think that a reverse on a punt return would work against this team, then it is hard to blast him for it just because the players botched the handoff, resulting in a fumble.
Yeah.... I think the HC needs to know about that.

RuthlessBurgher
01-16-2010, 12:37 PM

Does Tomlin need to know when Arians calls an end around to Santonio or Wallace on offense? Seems like the same basic thing to me.

stlrz d
01-16-2010, 01:50 PM

Does Tomlin need to know when Arians calls an end around to Santonio or Wallace on offense? Seems like the same basic thing to me.

It is the same basic thing.