Time (Pts-Steelers,Pts-Opp)
2:26:06 (81, 52)

2nd Qtr
1:57:33 (126, 75)

3rd Qtr
2:01:39 (61, 56)

4th Qtr
2:02:30 (93, 139)

One thing you don't see in the numbers but I noted looking at the data, there was a noticeable lack of scoring by the Steelers in the 1st and 3rd quarters during our 5 game losing streak.

The longest possessions:
1st qtr: 8:03
2nd qtr: 7:18
3rd qtr: 6:43
4th qtr: 8:06

Mister Pittsburgh
01-15-2010, 08:17 AM
Not that this is an answerable question....but I wonder how many points in the 2nd & 4th quarters were a result of the 2 minute offense.

Northern_Blitz
01-15-2010, 08:48 AM
I think a better way to look at these numbers is by minutes / quarter as opposed to TOP over the year. I also think it's telling to look at the offensive efficiencies of the Steelers and their opponents. I've done that here by calculating their points per minute (PPM)

Qtr-----Steelers TOP-------S PPM------Opponent TOP-------O PPM
------------------------------------------------------------------
1st: ------9:08-------------8.9-----------5:52---------------8.86
2nd: -----7:21-------------17.1----------7:39---------------9.8
3rd: -----7:37-------------8.0------------7:23---------------7.5
4th: -----7:40-------------12.1----------7:20----------------26.3
Average:-------------------11.5-----------------------------13.1

So we were pretty dominant in TOP in the first quarter, but right around 50% TOP in qtrs 2 - 4. This sounds about right to me. We'd get out to leads early, but let teams hang around. It's interesting that we were > 50% TOP in the 4th despite giving up half again as many points as we scored. This says that we gave up points quickly in the 4th, which is no suprize to anyone who watched the game.

Seems like both the Steelers and their opponents did better at the end of halves. Maybe because teams try to score more in these cases (i.e. no hurry up in Q1, or Q3). The O was more efficient than the opposition in Qs 1 - 3, and was still very efficient late in games.

Again, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to see that the 4th quarter killed us. The average PPM for the opposition in Q 1 - 3 was 8.7 PPM. That MORE THAN TRIPPLED in the 4th. Some could argue that this is age, scheme, heart, or W. Gay. Stats only say that it happened.

I think these numbers should end the arguement that we didn't make the playoffs because of TOP. We lost games because we couldn't stop (or even slow) anyone in the 4th. Would we have been better if we had more posession in the 4th? Yes, but we had more than half the TOP, and gave up points way too frequently.

This is so rare for a Steeler D that is usually all about taking away the home run with the lead. They usually let the opponents make short completions and make the tackle. Get them to 3rd often. Even if they don't stop the opponent, they at least make them use up clock. Having Troy back at Saftey (and Carter out) will hopefully take the home run away again, which should make us better.

NOTE:
It would be interesting to be able to take out points scored against our ST, to penalize the O for points scored against them, and reward the D for points they scored. But that info's not here, so like always the stats give an idea, but not the full story.

steelnavy
01-15-2010, 12:03 PM
NOTE:
It would be interesting to be able to take out points scored against our ST, to penalize the O for points scored against them, and reward the D for points they scored. But that info's not here, so like always the stats give an idea, but not the full story.

Here you go. I did the math last week in the "Really, who's fault is it anyway" post.

...............1st Qtr...2nd Qtr...3rd Qtr...4th Qtr... OT...Final
Offense......81.........119........61.........83.. ........3.... 347
Defense.....39..........61.........47.........121. ........6.... 274

It takes some of the shine off of the offense and makes the D look a little better, but if you ask Feltdizz, I only say that because I hate Arians, not because its like an actual fact or anything... :D

feltdizz
01-15-2010, 01:59 PM
I am legend! lol

Any way you flip it... The D gave up a ton in the 4th.

Northern_Blitz
01-16-2010, 01:57 PM
Original Numbers

1st: ------9:08-------------8.9-----------5:52---------------8.86
2nd: -----7:21-------------17.1----------7:39---------------9.8
3rd: -----7:37-------------8.0------------7:23---------------7.5
4th: -----7:40-------------12.1----------7:20----------------19.0*
Average:-------------------11.5-----------------------------11.3

* number was wrong in my first post.

New Numbers with data from Steel Navy:

...............1st Qtr...2nd Qtr...3rd Qtr...4th Qtr... OT...Final
Offense......81.........119........61.........83.. ........3.... 347
Defense.....39..........61.........47.........121. ........6.... 274

1st: ------9:08-------------8.9-----------5:52---------------6.6
2nd: -----7:21-------------16.2----------7:39---------------8.0
3rd: -----7:37-------------8.0------------7:23---------------6.4
4th: -----7:40-------------10.8----------7:20----------------16.5
Average:-------------------11.0-----------------------------9.4

The other thing I realized is that this number isn't PPM. It's PPM * 16. To get the real PPM you'd have to devide by 16. So the O scored a poiont for every minute of posission in the 2nd, and the D gave one up every minute in the 4th.

Not sure that it is too much different. The D was still terrible in the 4th (which we already knew I guess).

feltdizz
01-16-2010, 02:26 PM
So... TOP X PPM divided by Troy's time off inverted with Aaron Smith's age + 2 = the obvious

Not to be more of a pain in the azzz then I already am but c'mon guys...

People weren't saying the 4th qtr D was bad just to spite you...

Northern_Blitz
01-17-2010, 12:29 AM
So... TOP X PPM divided by Troy's time off inverted with Aaron Smith's age + 2 = the obvious

Not to be more of a pain in the azzz then I already am but c'mon guys...

People weren't saying the 4th qtr D was bad just to spite you...

But alot of people were saying that we lost games because BA sucked and couldn't get TOP when we had leads. I think this shows that the problem had nothing to do with TOP. The problem was that teams were scoring points on us very fast in the 4th.

Some will still try to find a way to blame BA, and give the D a pass. I think this says that the bottom line is that we'd be in the playoffs if the D could have just slown teams down in the 4th. It also advocates the kind of bend-but-don't break D (read: 8 yard cushion) the Steelers usually use when they have leads.