PDA

View Full Version : LaCanfora reports we have hired...

SteelerNation1
01-13-2010, 09:16 PM
OL Coach Sean Kugler.

Steelers | Kugler hired as OL coach
Comment (0)
Wed, 13 Jan 2010 16:23:47 -0800
Jason La Canfora, of NFL.com, reports the Pittsburgh Steelers have hired former Buffalo Bills offensive line coach Sean Kugler to fill the same role.

SteelerNation1
01-13-2010, 09:18 PM
Anyone know anything about this guy?

NorthCoast
01-13-2010, 09:22 PM
No, but it's a nice ethnic sounding name....will fit in real nice in the 'Burgh.

fordfixer
01-13-2010, 09:28 PM
Sean Kugler
Offensive Line Coach
http://www.buffalobills.com/team/coache ... 8512e4525c (http://www.buffalobills.com/team/coaches/sean-kugler/b62b9ff3-e66b-432f-a998-8f8512e4525c)

Promoted to offensive line coach in January 2008 and tutored LT Jason Peters to his second consecutive Pro Bowl…previously served as the assistant offensive line coach, working primarily with the tackles…Peters earned his first Pro Bowl selection in 2007 and became the first Bills tackle named to the Pro Bowl since Howard Ballard in 1992…line set a team record by allowing just 26 sacks – the fewest in team history since stat became official in 1982.

SidSmythe
01-13-2010, 09:29 PM
Didn't Zeirlein come from Buffalo too?? I think he was Jim McNally's assistant O-Line coach when he was the O-Line coach at Buffalo

All I know is the Bills O-Line sucked this year ... partly to do w injuries and partly to do w/ youth. Probably not this guys fault overall, but it might say something about him that he got them to play decent at times.

costanza2k1
01-13-2010, 09:45 PM
I wonder what his style is...zone, man, or tiger?

eniparadoxgma
01-13-2010, 10:24 PM
I wonder what his style is...zone, man, or tiger?

http://img705.imageshack.us/img705/1117/tigerstyle.png (http://img705.imageshack.us/i/tigerstyle.png/)

...hopefully.

:tt2 :tt2 :tt2

SteelBucks
01-13-2010, 10:27 PM
…line set a team record by allowing just 26 sacks – the fewest in team history since stat became official in 1982.

Encouraging.

grotonsteel
01-14-2010, 12:11 AM
Article on our New O-Line Coach...

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/articl ... 743883a579 (http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-3/Line-shuffling-just-another-challenge-for-Kugler/438f3bb2-af99-45ad-9426-5e743883a579)

It’s been a year of replacing and substituting. Trades, swaps and switches. Conversions, variations and modifications. All of it has happened on Buffalo’s offensive line this calendar year. Unending change due to personnel moves, injuries and coaching decisions have made it a challenging year for Buffalo’s men up front. That challenge has been even greater for Bills offensive line coach Sean Kugler.

The happenings of the offseason are well documented. Jason Peters was traded, Derrick Dockery was released, Melvin Fowler, Duke Preston, Jason Whittle were not re-signed. Geoff Hangartner was signed to be the starting center. Eric Wood and Andy Levitre were drafted and promptly converted to guards. Langston Walker flipped to left tackle. Brad Butler moved out to right tackle.

Once the season started, Langston Walker was gone, Demetrius Bell was the starter on the blind side and all five players on the starting unit would be different from the men that started in those positions a season ago.

Time on the job was to be what would help them cultivate group chemistry, but it never happened. Brad Butler was out for the season by Week 2, Demetrius Bell would miss two stretches of games due to groin and knee injuries. Another rookie would be signed and start three straight games, and Jonathan Scott would miss three games thanks to injury as well.

The only constant was the trio of interior linemen, until Week 10, when Andy Levitre had to play left tackle after Bell’s second injury of the season. The following week Eric Wood was lost for the season as well as Seth McKinney, Levitre’s replacement at left guard.

Veteran Kendall Simmons was signed and started the very next week.

Firing lines haven’t seen this many bodies drop.

Entrusted with holding it together week after week has been Kugler, a no nonsense coach who has pressed his men forward despite the losses.

With seven different lineups in 12 games the task has been tall, but the players credit Kugler for keeping things in sync.

“I think he’s done the best job he could ever do in light of the situation he’s been in,” said Bell, who is still out with a knee injury. “He had to start out with almost all rookies, and right off the bat we were in a position to win a big game in the opener. We’ve had our mistakes, and then we had injuries. I think he’s done the best job he could possibly do.”

Kugler hasn’t only been forced to juggle his lineup, he’s also been forced to alter protection schemes based on who is lining up where to cater to the different individual skill sets of the players.

“Whatever your strengths that’s the way he’ll coach you,” said rookie Jamon Meredith. “He’ll coach you to whatever you do best. If you’re more athletic he’ll coach you to get on guys quick. If you’re more of a big power guy, he’ll coach you another way. We’re all different people with different styles, but it all has to work together.”

“Because of a lack of consistency we’ve struggled in the protection areas and the run game at times,” said interim head coach Perry Fewell. “But those guys are going to keep working and we’ll keep working as a coaching staff.”

Having a significant number of young players, Kugler has harped on the same techniques week after week that he believes will lead to success as a unit.

“It’s kind of the same things over and over,” said Jonathan Scott. “The same foot work is taught, same techniques are taught until it becomes habitual. He’s a blue collar kind of guy and wants us to get it down. He’s convinced that the hard work will lead us in a positive direction, and I think it has.”

Ryan Fitzpatrick has started just four games, but is fully aware of what Kugler has had to do this season to try and keep the Bills protection scheme intact so the offense can function. Some days have admittedly been better than others.

“He’s done a great job all year and that’s one thing I think that has kind of been overlooked because of some of the struggles that we’ve had in the shuffling and the injuries and all that,” Fitzpatrick said. “The amount of young guys he’s worked with, the amount of guys that he’s working with that weren’t here at the beginning of the year – without him we’d be lost. He’s done a great job just in terms of tying stuff together.”

Kugler hasn’t tried to hold things together with gimmicks. The only method Buffalo’s offensive line coach knows is work. After practice Kugler often has his players spend an extra 20 minutes on technique work. Kick slides, hand punches, jump sets. They’re all repeated time and again with the belief that the pay-off will come.

And the players execute his every demand because he’s assembled players that share his mindset for the game.

“He has a certain type of player that he likes,” said Bell. “One that finishes every play, plays hard and smart.”

“He’s always reminding us that no one feels sorry for us,” said Scott. “I think it’s just a matter of going out there and busting our behinds and getting the job done. That’s what he expects and that’s what he wants.”

Perfection however, is hard to come by in the NFL when continuity is not part of your front five. This season the Bills offensive line has been the antithesis of permanence. Still, it doesn’t deter Kugler and his players from striving for better.

“Coach Kugs is probably one of the best offensive line coaches I’ve been around in my life,” said Meredith. “He can take pretty much any five people, show us what to do and get the job done. Injuries are a part of the game, but luckily we have a guy that can just teach the next guy the same thing so we can keep moving forward.”

I like that.

Welcome Coach... :tt2 :tt2 :tt2 :tt2

stlrz d
01-14-2010, 01:02 AM
Boy, the first time I read his name I didn't get it quite right (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kegel_exercise).... :lol:

fordfixer
01-14-2010, 02:32 AM
Steelers find their new offensive line coach

By John Harris
PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Thursday, January 14, 2010
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... 62121.html (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/news/breaking/s_662121.html)

The Steelers moved quickly to hire a new offensive line coach Wednesday with the addition of former Buffalo Bills assistant Sean Kugler, according to NFL.com.

Kugler, who was released last week along with the rest of Buffalo's staff, spent two years with the Bills. He was an assistant with Detroit from 2001-2005.

Kugler replaces Larry Zierlein, who was fired last week.

Steelers linebackers coach Keith Butler, considered the likely replacement for legendary defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau when he retires, was granted permission to speak with the Miami Dolphins about that team's defensive coordinator opening, according to South Florida media reports.

The Steelers will have another hole to fill, as ESPN's Adam Schefter reported that the Washington Redskins hired Lou Spanos as their linebackers coach.

Spanos has spent 16 seasons on the Steelers' coaching staff, including 15 as an assistant linebackers coach.

Butler just finished his seventh season with the Steelers. He coached Cleveland's linebackers from 1999-2002, where he worked with Dolphins coach Tony Sparano for two seasons. He is expected to interview with the Dolphins before the end of the weekend.

Butler's association with Sparano and his familiarity with the 3-4 defense make him attractive to Miami. However, former New York Jets and University of Virginia coach Al Groh, who has worked in the past with Miami executive vice president/football operations Bill Parcells, is viewed as the frontrunner to fill the vacancy created by Paul Pasqualoni's firing earlier this week.

Groh is said to be fielding other offers, including one as Georgia Tech's defensive coordinator. Groh interviewed with Parcells yesterday, according to ESPN.com. If he doesn't accept the Dolphins' job, that could open the door for Butler.

Notes: Steelers football and business administration officer Omar Khan is among four finalists for Seattle's general manager's vacancy. Khan interviewed Tuesday with new coach Pete Carroll and Seahawks CEO Tod Leiweke, who said Carroll may have the final say on the hire, depending on the candidate ... Linebacker Derrick Doggett, a special-teams star with Winnipeg of the Canadian Football League, has signed with the Steelers, the Winnipeg Sun reported.

phillyesq
01-14-2010, 08:36 AM
I don't know anything about the new offensive line coach, but his track record is unimpressive, to say the least. I was hoping for either an up and coming coach or somebody with a solid track record, and it looks like we got neither.

When Tomlin hired Larry Z, he had a similarly unimpressive track record (I think it was the Browns and Bills that he had worked for). The excuse then (and it was reasonable) was that the desirable candidates were gone b/c the Steelers were hiring late in the process.

Perhaps this guy will offer a different philosophy or blocking scheme, but I'm not a big fan of bringing in people with no track record of success who worked for losing teams.

steelblood
01-14-2010, 08:37 AM
It is early here and I don't want to overreact, but do we simply hire the first guy that comes in and is willing to take our offer? The Bills line was not good last year (the article doesn't even say if he was an offensive line coach). Didn't we get Zierlin from the Bills?

steelblood
01-14-2010, 08:43 AM
I like his approach and reputation at least.

Oviedo
01-14-2010, 09:04 AM
I don't know anything about the new offensive line coach, but his track record is unimpressive, to say the least. I was hoping for either an up and coming coach or somebody with a solid track record, and it looks like we got neither.

When Tomlin hired Larry Z, he had a similarly unimpressive track record (I think it was the Browns and Bills that he had worked for). The excuse then (and it was reasonable) was that the desirable candidates were gone b/c the Steelers were hiring late in the process.

Perhaps this guy will offer a different philosophy or blocking scheme, but I'm not a big fan of bringing in people with no track record of success who worked for losing teams.

The guy has been here less than 24 hours and it appears from other articles that he made a mess in Buffalo serviceable. Why don't we give him a chance to prove himself before we start the "fire Kugler" threads.

You above all others should recognize he is "innocent until proven guilty." :D

Iron Shiek
01-14-2010, 09:14 AM

The guy has been here less than 24 hours and it appears from other articles that he made a mess in Buffalo serviceable. Why don't we give him a chance to prove himself before we start the "fire Kugler" threads.

Yeah...as long as he didn't have anything to do with the decisions that led them to have like 3 rookies starting because they dumped all their meaningful talent, I'm cool with it.

And considering that line had about as many NFL starts combined as 5 of us here on the board, they didn't do a bad job. Plus didn't help that they fired their OC a week before the season. He was really working with some dire circumstances. And how does anyone really know he wasn't a sought after coach. Just because you've never heard of him? He very well may be an up and comer. But I guess his worth will be seen next year on the field. I'll give him a chance.

Hey Kugel, icks-nay on the orn-pay.

Slapstick
01-14-2010, 09:20 AM
Sean Kugler

Offensive Line; born August 9, 1966, Lockport, N.Y.
Offensive line Texas-El Paso 1985-89. No pro playing experience.

Coaching Experience:
Texas-El Paso 1993-2000
Detroit Lions 2001-05 (Asst. Offensive Line/Tight Ends)
Boise State 2006
Buffalo Bills 2007-2009

RuthlessBurgher
01-14-2010, 11:08 AM
Let's hope that we can follow up one former Bills' assistant coach hiring...

http://prod.static.bills.clubs.nfl.com/assets/images/imported/BUF/photos/coachcards09/kugler_s_coachcard.jpg

with another...

http://prod.static.bills.clubs.nfl.com/assets/images/imported/BUF/photos/coachcards09/april_b_coachcard.jpg

Pittsburgh
01-14-2010, 11:59 AM
Kugler to become new offensive line coach for Steelers
By Gerry Dulac, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Former Buffalo Bills offensive line coach Sean Kugler has agreed to become the new offensive line coach for the Steelers, replacing Larry Zierlein, the Post-Gazette has learned.

Kugler has met the past two days with Coach Mike Tomlin at the Steelers South Side facility and is in the process of officially signing a contract with the organization. He was part of a Bills coaching staff that was let go after the regular season.

Zierlein and special teams coordinator Bob Ligashesky were fired by Tomlin after the season.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10014/10 ... z0cbRZDtBk (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10014/1028260-66.stm#ixzz0cbRZDtBk)

MeetJoeGreene
01-14-2010, 01:12 PM
Too bad his first name isn't Freddy.

SteelStallion
01-14-2010, 01:26 PM
Cacth what Chris Petersen of Boise sais about him:

http://community.post-gazette.com/blogs ... fault.aspx (http://community.post-gazette.com/blogs/bobsmizik/default.aspx)

phillyesq
01-14-2010, 04:05 PM

I made this post before the thread was merged, and before I saw the articles about some of what he did in Buffalo. Definitely my bad with the hasty post. :oops:

sd steel
01-14-2010, 06:49 PM
I just found out that one of my good friends, who I coach popwarner and little league with is good friends with Sean Kugler and they played on the same line at UTEP under Andy Reid. Small world....I will see if I can get any info on him.

Chadman
01-14-2010, 07:01 PM
Sounds like a decent option for the OL. If he can make gravy out of the ingredients he's handed here- all well & good.

Defintaly like what that Meredith guy said (Bills player) about Kugler changing the scheme to suit the players- it should allow young guys to contribute right away if he constructs a system to suit their skills.

Plus, with his shaved head & goatee- he kinda looks a little like Chadman.. :D

costanza2k1
01-14-2010, 07:06 PM
another note on Kugz, he was also responsible for converting Jason Peters from a TE to an All Pro OT...

costanza2k1
01-14-2010, 08:41 PM
http://steelers.com/article/116924/

Kugler’s qualities showed up on tape
By BOB LABRIOLA
Steelers.com

For coaches, as it is for players apparently, the eye in the sky does not lie.

Mike Tomlin often has made the point that the football team is defined by what it puts on videotape, that he allows the tape to talk to him in the course of making decisions. What the videotape showed him was that Sean Kugler was the right man for the job as the Steelers offensive line coach.

Kugler, who will enter his ninth season as an NFL coach, signed a contract with the Steelers on Thursday, and he will replace Larry Zierlein.

“We have to be world championship caliber, and I felt we needed an upgrade in the production at the position,” said Tomlin about his decision to make a change there. “A lot of times those changes include players and coaches, and it’s a necessary part of this business.”

The ugly part of the business is something with which Kugler became familiar during this past season. As the offensive line coach of the Buffalo Bills, Kugler went through a season that redefined the word “unsettled” when it came to the offensive line, and the team still produced a 1,000-yard rusher in Fred Jackson.

“It starts first and foremost with his tape,” said Tomlin about what impressed him about Kugler. “He coached in the midst of some adversity up there in Buffalo this year, and I was really impressed with his tape. He started two rookie guards – Andy Levitre and Eric Wood – and both of those guys played well, you saw their personality on tape. They were finishers, they appeared to be technically sound, they knew what to do. Then there was a revolving door of injuries and so forth.”

To detail the revolutions of that door, here’s a start:

Bills coach Dick Jauron decided to trade starting left tackle Jason Peters, and then he cut veteran Langston Walker, who was supposed to start at right tackle, a week before the season started.

Kugler had to replace those two veterans with a left tackle in Demetrius Bell who was a seventh-round pick two years ago without an NFL start in his career, and with a right tackle in Brad Butler who hadn't played the position regularly since his college days at the University of Virginia.

Butler tore his ACL in Week 2. Bell was injured in Week 3 and then again in Week 10 whereupon he landed on the injured reserve list.

The Bills started seven different tackle tandems through the course of the season and nine different offensive line combinations over 16 games. Their starting tackles during the season included Kirk Chambers, who originally was cut by the Bills when the roster was reduced to 53 in early September, journeyman Jonathan Scott and rookie Jamon Meredith, who was signed off Green Bay's practice squad. Buffalo also had another rookie practice squad tackle who was supposed to start the Week 16 game at Atlanta – Andre Ramsey – but he injured his calf in practice that week and could not play.

By season’s end, the Bills had five offensive linemen on the injured reserve list – two tackles and three guards – along with their two starting tight ends (Derek Schouman and Derek Fine) who were considered the team’s best blockers. One of the guys who ended up filling in for the Bills was former Steelers No. 1 pick Kendall Simmons, and he vouched for Kugler’s abilities as a coach without being asked.

“Also, the offensive coordinator (Turk Schonert) got fired before the first week of the season,” said Tomlin. “In the midst of a lot of things, the videotape was very good. They got after people, they put hats on hats, they finished. The things Sean and I talked about when he came in here showed up on tape.”

There is a mentality required to play the different positions on an NFL team, and that personality often stems from the assistant coach with whom the players work on a daily basis.

“That could be said for any position. I believe that,” said Tomlin. “The great position coaches I have been around, the core beliefs they have in regards to football and coaching football show up on tape and are displayed by the men they coach.”

As for Sean Kugler’s coaching personality?

“He’s a fundamentalist. He’s rock solid schematically. He coaches (his players to) finish. He believes in some of the core things I believe in in terms of winning by attrition in the trenches. Again, it all showed up on the tape.”

Mister Pittsburgh
01-14-2010, 10:06 PM
Dear Freddy Kreuger,
Please make Doug Legursky a pulling RG so he can utilize his insane speed for his size and massive non-obese, muscle bound physique to pancake players and lead the charge for Mendenhall to rush for 2,000 yards next season. If you do this, I promise to feed high school kids roofies so they fall asleep for you to attack them in their dreams.
Thank you and happy hunting,
Mister Pittsburgh :Cheers

PS-In case you don't know him, here is his video....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TIHRG_r-hhg

Chadman
01-15-2010, 12:17 AM
Dear Freddy Kreuger,
Please make Doug Legursky a pulling RG so he can utilize his insane speed for his size and massive non-obese, muscle bound physique to pancake players and lead the charge for Mendenhall to rush for 2,000 yards next season. If you do this, I promise to feed high school kids roofies so they fall asleep for you to attack them in their dreams.
Thank you and happy hunting,
Mister Pittsburgh :Cheers

PS-In case you don't know him, here is his video....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TIHRG_r-hhg

You'd have to think there is something there to work with, wouldn't you? Hopefully Legursky gets a real shot at RG.

Then draft Tannant from Boston College to back-up Hartwig.