PDA

View Full Version : Kiffin to USC

feltdizz
01-13-2010, 03:31 PM
This guy can't keep still... he spent one year making everyone despise UT and then he bails... Is he doing this just to get close to Al Davis so he can start a new feud?

These college coaches have no shame and this is why I never believed the Meyer "heart attack" story... Meyer is out of his contract and will make a move to the NFL if there is a chance to coach Tebow...

If it happens I called it first!!

Oviedo
01-13-2010, 03:41 PM
If you knew the SEC and the uphill battle he faced getting recruits to a state that doesn't produce alot you would undertand why he jumped. Maybe once a decade TN can have a season in the SEC where they are better than the 3rd best team. Ninety percent of the time they will always fall into #3 to #5 at best.

At USC he has a true national recruiting ground. USC can step into every state in the US and have a credible chance to grab a 5-star recruit. He would never do that at TN.

IMO a smart move on his part. His success will be determined based on whether he can mature a little and avoid the recruiting snafus he seems to have tendency to commit.

feltdizz
01-13-2010, 03:47 PM
If you knew the SEC and the uphill battle he faced getting recruits to a state that doesn't produce alot you would undertand why he jumped. Maybe once a decade TN can have a season in the SEC where they are better than the 3rd best team. Ninety percent of the time they will always fall into #3 to #5 at best.

At USC he has a true national recruiting ground. USC can step into every state in the US and have a credible chance to grab a 5-star recruit. He would never do that at TN.

IMO a smart move on his part. His success will be determined based on whether he can mature a little and avoid the recruiting snafus he seems to have tendency to commit.

No way.... Tennessee gets great players. They just had the worst QB in the SEC.
Their D was crazy good. USC is losing recruits everyday due to the Pete Carroll and sanctions to come.

You don't need every 4 star recruit to win in the SEC.. you just need a QB to complete a few passes.

JTP53609
01-13-2010, 04:06 PM
it seems that the coaching now is more of flash and news than player movement...the non stop media love of pete carroll, and brian kenny now add lane kiffin, nick saban and that guy who coached louisville is another.. coaches are getting more glory now than ever, and it is the coaches who jump ship that are getting the love not the ones who stay at school and actually deliver championships all whiile staying loyal

Oviedo
01-13-2010, 05:58 PM

Their D was crazy good. USC is losing recruits everyday due to the Pete Carroll and sanctions to come.

You don't need every 4 star recruit to win in the SEC.. you just need a QB to complete a few passes.

You don't beat Florida, Alabama and LSU in the SEC without 4 and 5 star recruits who make the successful transition to college. Those teams are loaded every year and just come at you in waves.

If you aren't getting players equal to those three teams you may have one or two good years where you get lucky on a few players, but it will be those three teams at the top 95% of the time.

The Miami area alone produces more talent than the entire state of Tennessee every single year.

Eddie Spaghetti
01-13-2010, 06:09 PM
i'm sorry, but that is ridiculous. Tennessee was around along time before lane kiffin and will be for a long time after. they have ALWAYS been able to get ballplayers, for exactly the reasons you list. some of them even play in the real league. to say otherwise is incorrect. they have more challenges in recruiting, but they have been winning alot more than they lost since the 30's. al davis was right on the money this time.

lane kiffin is a scumbag.

Steeler Mafia
01-13-2010, 06:09 PM

You don't beat Florida, Alabama and LSU in the SEC without 4 and 5 star recruits who make the successful transition to college. Those teams are loaded every year and just come at you in waves.

If you aren't getting players equal to those three teams you may have one or two good years where you get lucky on a few players, but it will be those three teams at the top 95% of the time.

The Miami area alone produces more talent than the entire state of Tennessee every single year.

He would have gotten the players at UT. He had one of the best recruiter in the NCAA, Ed Orgeron. He just wanted to go back to USC and crapped all over Tennessee to get there. I am no Vols fan, but I do sympathize. My WVU mountaineers had to deal with a similar probelm when Rich Rod left us out to dry for Michigan a few years back. At least Rich Rod was a proven Head Coach. What has Kiffin showed, other than his inability to keep a promise, and his feud with Al Davis.

feltdizz
01-13-2010, 06:32 PM
Tennessee has always been stacked... The SEC has cycles and UF and Alabama have had a great run. Tennessee had a good one with big game choker Manning and Tee Martin.

Do you really think Meyer was stepping down due to health? He is stressed because he doesn't have a Tebow in the wings and Alabama is on top. The Vols will be back.

Chadman
01-13-2010, 06:38 PM
Any chance that former Steeler, Tee Martin, gets a look as the new Tennessee coach? He's on the coaching staff for New Mexico (from memory) & there is A LOT of buzz on his facebook at the moment about the possibility...

NKySteeler
01-13-2010, 06:48 PM
... His success at USC will also be determined by the type and severity of sanctions imposed by the NCAA on the school.

I absolutely HATE Kiffin... But he seems to be surrounding himself with a good staff.... Monte is coming along, Orgeron is great at recruiting, and if they get Chow to return it will be a great move.

Kiffin was a Pac-10 guy and a west coast guy... I don't think he would ever fit-in in the SEC.

... Gonna be "tough sledding" for my USC Trojans.....

feltdizz
01-13-2010, 06:53 PM
Any chance that former Steeler, Tee Martin, gets a look as the new Tennessee coach? He's on the coaching staff for New Mexico (from memory) & there is A LOT of buzz on his facebook at the moment about the possibility...
I doubt it... He is like Mean Joe Greene back when we hired Cowher... great Vol player but not enough buzz for the booster... Maybe in a few years after he gets more pub on his own.

I'm a undercover Vol fan... I made a lot of friends and money scalping tickets my freshman year. With no other football in the state at the time those tickets were gravy and you could get five at a time. All you needed was another students activity card and we would take turns sitting in lines for days.

NKySteeler
01-13-2010, 07:24 PM
Fulmer will most likely be returning as AD (as reported today)... He will have to choose his coach quickly.

The Man of Steel
01-13-2010, 07:30 PM
Damn, the only thing that I could ever remember about Tee Martin's career in Pittsburgh was that the Steelers drafted him back in 2000 even though Tom Brady and Marc Bulger were still on the board. Other than that little factoid his Steelers career was pretty insignificant.

stlrz d
01-13-2010, 10:11 PM

:Agree

And he's a west coast guy, as Nky pointed out.

Good move for Lane and good move for USC.

feltdizz
01-13-2010, 11:40 PM
A quick question, what has Kiffin won that makes him such a hot coach? Is it his Dad?

He was 5-15 at Oakland and 7-6 at Tennessee. Why is he seen as a winner? I know he is young but the Raider job ended real quick and while at Tennessee all he did was get in trouble with the Sec commish and I remember a few players and armed robbery at UT.

Dude is being treated like a champion. I don't want to hear about the USC offensive coordinator cause any OC could have won at USC. They were stacked trump tight with Talent.

Flasteel
01-13-2010, 11:52 PM

You are talking some crazy junk Veedo. Tennessee has been a national power for a very long time. Hell, Chadman even brought up our very own Tee Martin. You know, that guy who won a national championship for the Vols after Peyton Manning left.

Sure they are eating behind the Gators, Tigers, and Tide at the SEC trough, but they are a few good recruits and stable staff away from crashing the party.

stlrz d
01-14-2010, 12:59 AM
A quick question, what has Kiffin won that makes him such a hot coach? Is it his Dad?

He was 5-15 at Oakland and 7-6 at Tennessee. Why is he seen as a winner? I know he is young but the Raider job ended real quick and while at Tennessee all he did was get in trouble with the Sec commish and I remember a few players and armed robbery at UT.

Dude is being treated like a champion. I don't want to hear about the USC offensive coordinator cause any OC could have won at USC. They were stacked trump tight with Talent.

So why don't they win the national championship every year? They're always stacked with talent....

feltdizz
01-14-2010, 01:10 AM

So why don't they win the national championship every year? They're always stacked with talent....

I meant it in a Charlie Weiss kind of way... as a HC why is Kiffin a hot commodity?

I wrote this long post about USC's talent level but I edited it because everyone knows USC was stacked under Carroll. They won 8 games a year before they took the field. They gave us Troy P.