PDA

View Full Version : Shipley signs with Eagles

fordfixer
01-11-2010, 07:54 PM
Steelers' Shipley signs with Eagles
Monday, January 11, 2010
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10011/1027454-100.stm

Center A.Q. Shipley, a Coraopolis native who hoped to follow in Mike Webster's footsteps with the Steelers, signed with the Philadelphia Eagles today.

Shipley, who started 39 games at Penn State and made several All-American teams, was drafted in the seventh round by the Steelers last year. However, he did not make the team and spent the season on their practice squad.

The Steelers tried to sign Shipley to a contract for 2010 last week but he balked and was the only member of their eight-man practice squad who did not re-sign.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10011/10 ... z0cLqXh3GN (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10011/1027454-100.stm#ixzz0cLqXh3GN)

SanAntonioSteelerFan
01-11-2010, 08:06 PM
Well, at least he'll stay in PA. Maybe we'll get him back one day.

plainnasty
01-11-2010, 08:06 PM
You can't really blame him. Hartwig, Legursky, and Stapelton are all ahead of him of the roster and they can play two positions. Unless someone is injured Shipley's chances of making the roster were slim. It's too bad because it wouldn't surprise me if he became a decent center in the NFL if he gets the chance. He looked good in the preseason but he always played against 4th stringers. This reminds me of Hank Fraley going to the Eagles years ago.

phillyesq
01-11-2010, 09:16 PM
Good move for Shipley, and I wish him well.

From what I've read about the Eagles, they're concerned about Jamaal Jackson coming back from his injury, and their backup center (Cole) really struggled with snapping the ball, especially in the shotgun. Shipley should have a good opportunity with the Eagles, and I hope he takes advantage.

Chadman
01-11-2010, 10:58 PM
While on the Steelers & the search for a Center for the future- it was pretty widely reported that Alex Mack & Eric Wood were pretty high on the Steelers wish list last season, but missed on both & ended up going DE instead.

With that in mind, do you think that the Steelers might revisit the Center position in this years draft? Particularly now that last year's crop of good Centers filled so many teams needs, the Steelers could grab Boston's Matt Tennant in Round 2. Good player from a good program....one to watch...

williar
01-11-2010, 10:59 PM
They shouldn't of drafted him. They knew he was a loooooong shot. Thought the steelers did him a favor by drafting him and keeping him on the PS.

pfelix73
01-11-2010, 11:02 PM
Chadman-

With the depth chart set as someone stated above, we're stocked at C. No way they waste a pick on a C.

:Steel

Chadman
01-11-2010, 11:19 PM
Chadman-

With the depth chart set as someone stated above, we're stocked at C. No way they waste a pick on a C.

:Steel

"Stocked"? :D

Hartwig is over 30, Stapleton plays RG & Legursky has to fight for a roster spot, let alone be the Center of the future.

That being said, you might be right. Both Stapleton & Legursky were good at college level...

SteelCrazy
01-11-2010, 11:43 PM
Something tells me he is going to be an All Pro Center and we will be regretting his departure.

pfelix73
01-12-2010, 12:45 AM
Stocked may have been a poor choice of wording- I wanted to change it before I hit the submit button, but what I was getting at is that we do have Stapleton coming back and Legursky is a very good up and coming OLineman IMO. I really like Legursky to take over that spot in the near future. With the emergence of Foster and the 3rd round project in Urbik, the depth along the OL is now all of a sudden a luxury we didn't have just last year at this time. Essex could slide over to T to allow Foster to play at RG even.

I do however, believe that if we're to go anywhere in the draft along the OL this year it might be to get some competition in there at RT. I could even see them going RT with that 18th pick or a 2nd round. Colon has been the weak link in that he makes way too many mistakes over there with his false starts, holding, etc.- (re-watch the last 2 games of this season and you'll see what I mean.) We need someone else to compete there. Jury is out on Hills. Again, Essex could slide over, but personally, now we're getting into more changes and changes aren't good on the OL, so he should probably just stay at RG. He had a descent season there.

I would really like to see them looking at the CB's in round 1, but if there is a T there and the round 1 CB's are gone (might not be that many) then a RT could be a possibility.

:tt1

Mel Blount's G
01-12-2010, 02:49 AM
While on the Steelers & the search for a Center for the future- it was pretty widely reported that Alex Mack & Eric Wood were pretty high on the Steelers wish list last season, but missed on both & ended up going DE instead.
We also tried to package a deal to move up in the 2nd round to get Max Unger. I'd sure love to see the details of whatever trade package we put together and was ultimately turned down by teams (Unger, of course, went to the seahags and started at guard before being moved to starting center). And, imo, I thought the bengals got a good fourth round pick with center Jonathan Luigs though he obviously wasn't a top tier guy in a draft allegedly deep with centers

Chadman
01-12-2010, 03:12 AM
"I do however, believe that if we're to go anywhere in the draft along the OL this year it might be to get some competition in there at RT. I could even see them going RT with that 18th pick or a 2nd round. Colon has been the weak link in that he makes way too many mistakes over there with his false starts, holding, etc.- (re-watch the last 2 games of this season and you'll see what I mean.) We need someone else to compete there. Jury is out on Hills. Again, Essex could slide over, but personally, now we're getting into more changes and changes aren't good on the OL, so he should probably just stay at RG. He had a descent season there"

While nearly every board member will agree with you, pretty sure Chadman read that Colon constantly grades out well for the coaches. And if they were ever going to seriously move him, they'd have done it by now. Colon is the RT- we'll just have to deal with it.

RG is there for Urbik, but Stapleton will be asked to fight for it, and perhaps Legursky.

Chadman has always been keen to see how these guys turn out (Legursky, Stapleton, Colon etc), but afyer 2 straight years of 50+ sacks- maybe the Steelers just need to stop waiting & grab some studs on the OL?

JTP53609
01-12-2010, 08:37 AM
he will be another hank fraley.......

steelblood
01-12-2010, 09:17 AM
he will be another hank fraley.......

I was thinking the same thing.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
01-12-2010, 10:13 AM
I would have liked to see him stay but understand the move.

The C/G position is interesting. The Steelers are top heavy with interior OL. The emergence of Foster creates some issues. Kemo is entrenched at LG. Essex was probably the weak link next to Hartwig. However, Hartwigs leadership & knowledge solidifies the position. There have been reports that Urbik might be tried at the C postion, which could ultimately be his best position based on his skill set. I have no doubt he would be a better "anchor" than Hartwig or Stapleton. You build team Division-Conference and this team needs a "Stout" C. I still think Stapleton is "too light in the can" to be the guy at the C position, but his feet make him a good G prospect.

So I guess what happens in the draft all comes down to what happens with Colon. If he is in the future plans by draft or if they want him in the future plans, I don't see how they address the OL early. I wouldn't be surprised to see an OT in the 3-7 or a C 3-7 but they have their hand already dealt. This draft needs to be defense heavy.

Names like Davis, Humpal, McBean, Smith, & Colclough have hurt the Steelers depth on defense. I'm actually "NOT" hoping for an uncapped year because I believe the Steelers are in a position to have to make a FA signing of the "Farrior" level. More than likely, in the secondary based upon urgency. Tag Hampton for insurance, and hope he goes unsigned until after the draft. I don't think that happens with the Transition tag so they might be forced to make a decision before the draft. The Steelers need to address DT, CB, ILB, S, & OLB all this offseason. More than likely, starters at DT, CB, ILB, & S for next year or the near future.

An uncapped year would hinder this process because you would end up signing high priced 5 year vets or older and the pool would be thinned with the 5 year FA rule in an uncapped year. This could prove to be one of the most important off season in years. Along with filling some position coaching holes the Steelers need to fill some voids on defense and a spot or two might have to be in FA.

pfelix73
01-12-2010, 10:49 AM
Urbik has a long to go. Let's hope he isn't another wasted 3rd round pick. That's interesting that you heard he could be moved to C, but not surprising in that the C/ G position is pretty much the same. They are set at the interior spots and I agree with you that Stapleton is a bit on the light side. Maybe he won't be back in the black and gold.. I'd like to see Legursky in there competing for that spot after Hartwig's contract is up. Need to find a long time replacement at C, we got used to Webby, Dawson, and Hartings as out perennial pro-bowlers. We need another.

Regarding Colon: Yes he is thought of as only a tackle by the Steelers. Probably not quick enough feet to play G. He may have graded out ok on a 16 game schedule (and that is hard to believe-IMO), but all I know is the last few games he didn't play well. His contract here at the end of the season and what they do with him, will be very interesting... Someone mentioned they can sign him on the cheap. If they can, then he'll be back... At least he has consistency in starting the last 3 years. I'd still like to see some competition there, and Hills so far, hasn't been able to do that.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
01-12-2010, 11:05 AM
Urbik has a long to go. Let's hope he isn't another wasted 3rd round pick. That's interesting that you heard he could be tried at C. They are set at the G and C spots and I agree with you that Stapleton is a bit on the light side. I'd like to see Legursky in there competing for that spot after Hartwig's contract is up. Need to find a long time replacement at C, we got used to Webby, Dawson, and Hartings as out perennial pro-bowlers. We need another.

Regarding Colon: Yes he is thought of as only a tackle by the Steelers. Probably not quick enough feet to play G. He may have graded out ok on a 16 game schedule (and that is hard to believe_IMO), but all I know is the last 2 games he was the worst OL out there. His contract here at the end of the season and what they do with him, will be very interesting...

If I have an OL that excels at road grading but struggles in one-on-one drills...I'm closing his shoulders as much as possible. Can't close them any more than the C position. Being a PSU homer, I saw Urbik play allot. When he can anchor in pass protection he can set the front of the pocket and stones everyone. When the RT opens the B gap because of the upfield rush, Urbik becomes vulnerable in space. If he is engaging a LB, his shoulder becomes open in the B gap. Put him at center and give him A gap protection, I think he could become that C we are looking for. Gs are taught to hold the A gap at the line in pass protection so that falls into Urbik's strengths. I guess the rest is on him. I'm not sure if he ever played C in high school or if he could even play there but it might be his best shot on having an impact on this OL. He needs some work on his feet to see the field in this pass happy offense. If this was the old Steelers, his shot at starting would be sooner than later.

RuthlessBurgher
01-12-2010, 11:38 AM
And if they were ever going to seriously move him, they'd have done it by now. Colon is the RT- we'll just have to deal with it.

The new o-line coach (whoever he may be) may disagree. Zeirlein wasn't willing to consider Colon as anything but a RT in his 3 years here. But if they draft Iowa's Bryan Bulaga or Oklahoma's Trent Williams to play RT (the Vikings were able to start Oklahoma's Loadholdt there as a rookie with success), the new OL coach may think that Colon could be better suited as a RG. I think having Kemo and Colon as starting guards would be pretty good, and it would eliminate Colon being beaten by speed rushers to the outside when he is left out on an island.

I wouldn't be against the possibility of the Steelers looking at a center in round 2 like Tennant as you mentioned, or Pouncey from Florida who is a bit bigger. Have USC's O'Dowd or PSU's Wisniewski declared for the draft or are they returning to school (because they could also be in the mix for early-round center prospects)?