PDA

View Full Version : OT: Mark Mcgwire

papillon
01-11-2010, 05:29 PM
Move whenever you see fit, but I thought some might find this interesting or at least validating.

Mark Mcgwire comes clean (http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylt=AsrBX7AopPVtujFhSDL0ZCA5nYcB?slug=ap-steroids-mcgwire&prov=ap&type=lgns)

Pappy

RuthlessBurgher
01-11-2010, 05:31 PM
“It’s the first time they’ve ever heard me, you know, talk about this. I hid it from everybody.”

You didn't hide it all that well, Mark. Everyone knew about it, Sport.

http://www.complex.com/blogs/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/roids_mcgwire.jpg

“I did this for health purposes. There’s no way I did this for any type of strength use.”

Yeah, right. And Pamela Anderson got breast implants for the long-term health benefits.

Starlifter
01-11-2010, 05:48 PM
about as stunning as clay aiken coming out of the closet.....

frankthetank1
01-11-2010, 06:37 PM
so it wasnt just andro he was taking? wow what a shocker.

Wolfhound45
01-11-2010, 08:39 PM
Will they take about his single season HR record*? Because if they do not then his "admission" is next to worthless.

On a positive note, the Pats* are looking for a strength trainer right now.

RuthlessBurgher
01-11-2010, 08:44 PM
Will they take about his single season HR record*? Because if they do not then his "admission" is next to worthless.

That single season record is owned by Barry Bonds. And we know he never juiced. :lol:

http://healthhabits.files.wordpress.com/2009/07/barry-bonds-then-now-before-after.jpg

Wolfhound45
01-11-2010, 08:58 PM

That single season record is owned by Barry Bonds. And we know he never juiced. :lol:

http://healthhabits.files.wordpress.com/2009/07/barry-bonds-then-now-before-after.jpg

DOH! My bad. I forgot about his "record setting" season as well. Don't know why, but I was focused on his surpassing "Hammering" Hank Aaron for career homeruns.

And I would agree, during his illustrious career Barry was as pure as the newly driven snow (on a Cleveland side street).

:wink:

Sugar
01-11-2010, 09:43 PM
When did 'roids become officially banned by MLB?

SanAntonioSteelerFan
01-12-2010, 12:13 AM
Some guy interviewed on ESPN made a good point - a lot of good guys with decent careers were bounced out of the league because of Mcgwire's steroid use, he named a few guys like the first baseman who was voted to the All-Stars the year he juiced his way in, and other guys like that.

I heard his interview with Costas - he said he would have hit all those home runs even without being juiced. What a maroon.

Hank Aarons ... Willy Mays... Roger Maris ... Babe Ruth. That's it. The other guys are clowns.

(Edited: Thanks, rpmpit).

rpmpit
01-12-2010, 09:39 AM
Some guy interviewed on ESPN made a good point - a lot of good guys with decent careers were bounced out of the league because of Mcgwire's steroid use, he named a few guys like the first baseman who was voted to the All-Stars the year he juiced his way in, and other guys like that.

I heard his interview with Costas - he said he would have hit all those home runs even without being juiced. What a maroon.

Hank Aarons ... Willy Mays ... Babe Ruth. That's it. The other guys are clowns.

I think you have to include Maris in your list. It was Maris' record that McGwire stole.

rpmpit
01-12-2010, 09:42 AM
In other shocking celeb/drug related news, Snoop Dogg has admitted to smoking pot.

http://www.houstoncriminallawjournal.com/uploads/image/Snoop%20Smoking(5).jpg

SanAntonioSteelerFan
01-12-2010, 09:45 AM

Hank Aarons ... Willy Mays ... Babe Ruth. That's it. The other guys are clowns.

I think you have to include Maris in your list. It was Maris' record that McGwire stole.

100% right, I'm embarassed I forgot Roger Maris! I've edited it - thanks!

papillon
01-12-2010, 09:52 AM

Hank Aarons ... Willy Mays... Roger Maris ... Babe Ruth. That's it. The other guys are clowns.

(Edited: Thanks, rpmpit).

What I hate when I listen to talking heads on the radio or TV about the steroid use and eliminating the records of the known abusers from the record books. They always give the lame (IMO) argument that "where do you stop?" or "you don't know everyone that did it", etc. Well, the criminal justice system doesn't know every one that murdered, embezzled or stole things, but that doesn't stop from prosecuting the ones that did.

So, you don't know who used, but you do know for sure some who did and they should be removed from the record books and be ineligible for the HOF. Mcgwire, Pettit, Clemens, Rodriquez, Palmiero, Bonds should be expunged from records books and ineligible. Even some guy that bounced around the majors as the 25th guy on a team for 15 years should be expunged from records books if you know he used.

Return the records to their rightful owners until someone legally breaks their records.

Pappy

stlrz d
01-12-2010, 09:57 AM
I bet he grew up a Steelers fan and got the idea from watching the Steelers.

I'm willing to bet you'd find something like that posted on various other NFL team's forums...especially other team's forums from the AFCN. That really is how ridiculous they get with all the steroids talk.

For example, did you know that the Steelers won their first 4 titles because they were on roids and no other player on any other team used them? And that they lucked out to get to XXX and weren't doing roids so they didn't win because they weren't that good? And then the officials gave them the last two?

That may not be word for word...but I've seen it posted...and it wasn't from someone who was joking either.

So yeah, McGwire says, "I learned it from watching the Steelers!"

http://www.blogcadre.com/files/images/anti-drugPSA_0.jpg

Sugar
01-12-2010, 10:30 AM
First of all, I don't really care about either steriod use or baseball. I really don't have a dog in the hunt here. All I would say is that it seems to me from what I have seen is that they had more of a "silent agreement" in baseball not to talk about it for the longest time.

With that in mind, you had "enhanced" batters facing "enhanced" pitchers, etc. It seems to me that the playing field was still somewhat level and that there doesn't really need to be any real concern about these records. Then again, I'm no baseball fan so those records aren't holy to me either.

:2c

papillon
01-12-2010, 10:44 AM
First of all, I don't really care about either steriod use or baseball. I really don't have a dog in the hunt here. All I would say is that it seems to me from what I have seen is that they had more of a "silent agreement" in baseball not to talk about it for the longest time.

With that in mind, you had "enhanced" batters facing "enhanced" pitchers, etc. It seems to me that the playing field was still somewhat level and that there doesn't really need to be any real concern about these records. Then again, I'm no baseball fan so those records aren't holy to me either.

:2c

It wasn't level for Aaron, Mays, Ruth, Gehrig, Mantle, Maris, Foxx, etc as compared to these guys and it's their records that are being broken. I hate what has become of the game that I played until I was 30 years old. How many fly balls in Aaron's, May's, Foxx's, Mantle's, Gehrig's, etc careers were caught on the warning track and with a little juice in their system would have carried out for a homerun instead of a long out?

That's where the difference is that can never be measured. Steroids only made them stronger, not better hitters. Balls that were just long outs for many players carried out of the park due to the extra strength, it sucks, the game has been ruined for me. I rarely attend a major league game, but still enjoy the local high school team's games.

Pappy

Sugar
01-12-2010, 03:13 PM
It wasn't level for Aaron, Mays, Ruth, Gehrig, Mantle, Maris, Foxx, etc as compared to these guys and it's their records that are being broken. I hate what has become of the game that I played until I was 30 years old. How many fly balls in Aaron's, May's, Foxx's, Mantle's, Gehrig's, etc careers were caught on the warning track and with a little juice in their system would have carried out for a homerun instead of a long out?

That's where the difference is that can never be measured. Steroids only made them stronger, not better hitters. Balls that were just long outs for many players carried out of the park due to the extra strength, it sucks, the game has been ruined for me. I rarely attend a major league game, but still enjoy the local high school team's games.

Pappy

OK, I'm just asking here, but weren't these hitters facing pitchers that were also stronger than what the greats of yesteryear had to face? I could understand if they were hitting off a pitching machine that had been the same since the inception of the game why the greater strength of todays hitters would be more of a factor.

feltdizz
01-12-2010, 04:24 PM
I think pitchers juice just as much as hitters do if not more. So I think balls travel further due to increased velocity. I think Mark McGuire is an idiot and Sammy Sosa is flat out crazy. See his bleached skin lately?

I don't give a crap about MLB records because half of them were done some of the most talented players weren't allowed to step on the field.

I also remember Sosa getting caught with the corked bat and even the catcher for the other team tried to hide it from the ump. These guys know... Selig knew and most devoted fans know but they still try to pick and choose who is a cheat and who is a fraud. If you are nice to reporters you can get off easy... If not you will get dragged thru the mud.

The worst part though is Canseco.. to this day people say he has no credibility and he is batting a 1000 on calling out the cheaters.