PDA

View Full Version : 2008 Draft Do over

steelerkeylargo
01-11-2010, 02:10 PM
I started out looking at last years draft and how things could have been different had we drafted a little differently. The I concluded that the injuries to Troy and Aaron Smith were swaying to many choices in an unfair and unrealistic way. I then took a look at 2008. Wow this is where things could have been really different.

1st rd-our pick= Mendenhall-obviously Mendy is coming on and is our future RB workhorse
1st round-what if=Chris Johnson-No comment necessary

2nd rd-our pick=Sweed-No comment necessary
2nd rd-what if=Jason Jones-DE titans, pretty solid ball player, not a splash pick but solid

3rd rd-our pick=Bruce Davis-Total Bust
3rd rd-what if= Jermichael Finley- Matchup hightmare for opposing D'd Ben would love this guy

4th rd-our pick=Tony Hills-zero NFL snaps
4th rd-what if=Carl Nicks-Starting LG for 20 plus games for the Saints

5th rd-our pick=Dennis Dixon-this one is tough-I like Dixon but maybe we would be getting more from....
5th rd-what if=Owen Schmitt-FB-Seahawaks....sure would be nice

6th rd-our pick=Mike Humpal-ZERO, NADA, NOTHING
6th rd-what if= Ahtyba Rubin-NT-Browns Hamptons replacement

6th rd-our pick=Ryan Mundy-barely serviceable
6th rd-what if=Hakuri Nakamura-FS-Rats....special teams whirlwind

NJ-STEELER
01-11-2010, 02:14 PM
include ray rice and mike jenkins in discussion for the 1st rounder.

2 more probowlers and one being a position we desperately need...CB

papillon
01-11-2010, 02:17 PM
I started out looking at last years draft and how things could have been different had we drafted a little differently. The I concluded that the injuries to Troy and Aaron Smith were swaying to many choices in an unfair and unrealistic way. I then took a look at 2008. Wow this is where things could have been really different.

1st rd-our pick= Mendenhall-obviously Mendy is coming on and is our future RB workhorse

2nd rd-what if=Jason Jones-DE titans, pretty solid ball player, not a splash pick but solid

3rd rd-what if= Jermichael Finley- Matchup hightmare for opposing D'd Ben would love this guy

5th rd-our pick=Dennis Dixon-this one is tough-I like Dixon but maybe we would be getting more from....

Hindsight is always 20/20.

Pappy

steelerkeylargo
01-11-2010, 02:23 PM
include ray rice and mike jenkins in discussion for the 1st rounder.

2 more probowlers and one being a position we desperately need...CB

No doubt, but, Chris Johnson is one of the 2 best RB's in the game.

RuthlessBurgher
01-11-2010, 02:24 PM
Every team can do this for every draft that ever took place. At lot of unnecessary :HeadBanger

steelerkeylargo
01-11-2010, 02:26 PM
Every team can do this for every draft that ever took place. At lot of unnecessary :HeadBanger

Most definitely. Fun to look at though. Sad also as it looks like we will only get 1 decent player from a whole draft. Unless Sweed wakes up.

phillyesq
01-11-2010, 02:28 PM

These exercises are always fun. I'll take a crack at it, trying to be as realistic as possible:

1st Round: Mendy
Do-over: Mendy. Johnson is a beast, but I feel like you can't second guess every pick.

2nd Round: Sweed
Do-over: With Mendy already taken, I don't grab Rice here. Either Jason Jones or Mike Pollack, C, would be decent options (although I admit I haven't followed Pollack's career).

3rd Round: Bruce Davis
Do-over: Cliff Avril, OLB. The Steelers brought Avril in for a workout, and I remember thinking that he'd be the pick. He had 5 sacks as a rookie, 5.5 last year, and has 7 forced fumbles in two years. He'd look nice right now as a situational rusher, depth on the outside, and on special teams.

4th Round: Tony Hills
Do-over: The Steelers took a shot on Hills and missed. I don't fault them for taking shots, and none of the guys taken between Hills and Dixon really stand out to me as NFL contributors. Can't hit on every pick.

5th Round: Dennis Dixon
Do-over: I'll stick with Dixon. Athletic backup QB with decent upside potential.

I'm not going to go any further than this, mostly because I'm not that familiar with the rest, and I don't remember any of those guys being on either the Steelers radar or being discussed on the board.

williar
01-11-2010, 02:37 PM
I know, I hate that 2008 draft.. I almost cry everytime I think we could have had Ray Rice or Chris Johnson. We end up with spinderella. It hurts man! Not that I don't think Mendy will earn his due, right now, he's just missing that "It" factor that the other guys have. In Mendy defense, I think RR and CJ have better run blocking lines in front of them. I certainly hope we get an OL coach who can help these guys step up their game. We need to open up some holes for Mendy so he can do his thing.

phillyesq
01-11-2010, 02:43 PM
I know, I hate that 2008 draft.. I almost cry everytime I think we could have had Ray Rice or Chris Johnson. We end up with spinderella. It hurts man! Not that I don't think Mendy will earn his due, right now, he's just missing that "It" factor that the other guys have. In Mendy defense, I think RR and CJ have better run blocking lines in front of them. I certainly hope we get an OL coach who can help these guys step up their game. We need to open up some holes for Mendy so he can do his thing.

Taking a good player over a great player doesn't bother me too much. As long as the Steelers grab a good player, I'm happy. What kills me is taking a bust over a contributor. At least for me, those are the misses that hurt more.

papillon
01-11-2010, 02:58 PM

These exercises are always fun. I'll take a crack at it, trying to be as realistic as possible:

1st Round: Mendy
Do-over: Mendy. Johnson is a beast, but I feel like you can't second guess every pick.

2nd Round: Sweed
Do-over: With Mendy already taken, I don't grab Rice here. Either Jason Jones or Mike Pollack, C, would be decent options (although I admit I haven't followed Pollack's career).

3rd Round: Bruce Davis
Do-over: Cliff Avril, OLB. The Steelers brought Avril in for a workout, and I remember thinking that he'd be the pick. He had 5 sacks as a rookie, 5.5 last year, and has 7 forced fumbles in two years. He'd look nice right now as a situational rusher, depth on the outside, and on special teams.

4th Round: Tony Hills
Do-over: The Steelers took a shot on Hills and missed. I don't fault them for taking shots, and none of the guys taken between Hills and Dixon really stand out to me as NFL contributors. Can't hit on every pick.

5th Round: Dennis Dixon
Do-over: I'll stick with Dixon. Athletic backup QB with decent upside potential.

I'm not going to go any further than this, mostly because I'm not that familiar with the rest, and I don't remember any of those guys being on either the Steelers radar or being discussed on the board.

That is a very good redo right there with logic and football acumen.

Pappy

ikestops85
01-11-2010, 03:06 PM
I'll betcha Portland still regrets taking Sam Bowie. :wink:

buckeyehoppy
01-11-2010, 03:24 PM
Choosing Sweed where we did in that draft made a certain amount of sense. However, many were projecting him as a late 1st Rounder in the lead up to the draft. His stock started falling about a month before and allowed the Steelers to draft at a "discount".

Looking at Sweed in that light, the same truth also applied to Jones. And he flew under a lot of teams radar because he was from that renowned football mill of Eastern Michigan. I remember wanting to take a flier on Jones and was sure the Steelers would go D with their second pick after drafting Mendy. Guess Sweed was the better "value".

Looking at it now, drafting Jones doesn't necessarily eliminate the need for drafting Ziggy. But, that pick would have broadened the options of the Brain Fart Trust to the point where drafting someone like, say, Maualuga, wouldn't have been a gamble.

Sometimes, being able to strategize past the pick in front of you is a good thing. Imagine if they had done that when they drafted Holmes, eschewing Mangold. Mangold would be the anchor of the OL and would have saved the FO at least two major personnel moves and a contract negotiation with a journeyman player. We got a good player with Holmes, of course, so the move was a win-win for the Steelers.

I was also high on Nakamura, only not necessarily as a draft pick. When the Rattards picked him where they did, I was only mildly surprised. But, he has become exactly the type of high energy player every team should have on ST. Imagine having him here this season. Would the ST look nearly as flatulent? I had the pleasure of being able to watch this kid since HS, so I knew that he had a non-stop motor despite being "undersized". That motor didn't fail him at UC and it still isn't failing him in the NFL. He's in the same class of player that someone like, say, Josh Cribbs is.

We can Monday morning QB this draft all we want. But it is what it is. I look at it this way... Colbert and the Brain Fart Trust owe us one for that suck @$$ draft.

BradshawsHairdresser
01-11-2010, 03:42 PM
I know, I hate that 2008 draft.. I almost cry everytime I think we could have had Ray Rice or Chris Johnson. We end up with spinderella.

"Spinderella"............. :lol: :lol: :lol: LOL!

steelblood
01-11-2010, 03:44 PM
I think the Mendenhall pick was a good one. Certainly Rice or Johnson would have been better to this point, but overall, it was a good pick.

Sweed really is a talent (other than his hands). I don't see how the Steelers could have predicted that he'd be such a choke artist. Certainly, he has little trouble getting open. I think they identified a talent, but underestimated his lack of confidence. This was an unfortunate shortsight, but the pick was not a reach.

Davis is the one that really pisses me off. He had such a bad attitude and terrible upper body strength. He couldn't even help on special teams. I remember watching him in college and being impressed with his pass ability. He never showed anything.

The Hills pick was a risk. This one could still pan out. He has that drop foot condition that may or may not still bother him. Obviously the STeelers still have hope since they kept him on the active roster. Taking a chance on a LT in the 4th round is usually okay. If he even becomes a good spot starter, it will be a decent pick.

I really am happy with the Dixon pick. I loved it then and still do. I thought he showed great composure against the Ravens and should develop into a good #2. I still don't understand why we don't use him as a Pat White type, especially when we had Batch in case Dixon got hurt. In that Browns game when nothing else was working, it would have been awesome to send him out there and do what they did to us with Cribbs. Schmidt might help us more on a game-by-game basis, but a talent like Dixon was an excellent pick.

Humpal. Well, it is the 6th round. It becomes a bit of a crapshoot at this point.

Mundy. I don't get why he isn't a special teams beast. He was all over the field for the 'Neers. He is an excellent open field tackler. He should be more helpful. I thought the pick was solid. Maybe a better special teams coach will help him be successful.

feltdizz
01-11-2010, 04:45 PM
I don't get too involved in drafts.. outside of the first 2 rounds and a few names I have no idea who these guys are nor the patience to research them.

That being said... my question to the board is initial reaction when we picked Mendenhall and Sweed? Were you Glad? Sad? Mad?

I know when we picked Mend I was happy as hell and thought Dallas made a huge mistake. I had no idea who Chris Johnson was so I didn't care about who drafted him. If I did see tape I bet my initial response was "too small" I thought the same thing about Ray Rice at Rutgers.. great back, but not an every down guy...

When the Sweed pick came in I thought we got ANOTHER steal on the board. I wasn't mad at all. Big WR... instant play maker... dude can do everything but catch a wide open TD pass.

what the hell?

RuthlessBurgher
01-11-2010, 04:50 PM
I don't get too involved in drafts.. outside of the first 2 rounds and a few names I have no idea who these guys are nor the patience to research them.

That being said... my question to the board is initial reaction when we picked Mendenhall and Sweed? Were you Glad? Sad? Mad?

I know when we picked Mend I was happy as hell and thought Dallas made a huge mistake. I had no idea who Chris Johnson was so I didn't care about who drafted him. If I did see tape I bet my initial response was "too small" I thought the same thing about Ray Rice at Rutgers.. great back, but not an every down guy...

When the Sweed pick came in I thought we got ANOTHER steal on the board. I wasn't mad at all. Big WR... instant play maker... dude can do everything but catch a wide open TD pass.

what the hell?

I was absolutely overjoyed when we got Mendenhall and Sweed, and I think that both can still be productive players in this league. I wanted them to draft OT Anthony Collins in round 3 instead of OLB Bruce Davis, but you can't have everything you want.

steelerkeylargo
01-11-2010, 04:52 PM

what the hell?

I was absolutely overjoyed when we got Mendenhall and Sweed, and I think that both can still be productive players in this league. I wanted them to draft OT Anthony Collins in round 3 instead of OLB Bruce Davis, but you can't have everything you want.

I remember wanting Collins as well. Although he has been average so far and I dont think will ever be better than Starks or Colon.

papillon
01-11-2010, 04:59 PM

what the hell?

That's how I saw it at the time. I still believe that Sweed will be successful in this league and that next year (provided he can clear his head) Holmes, Ward, Wallace and Sweed are going to be the premier receiving corps in the NFL.

Pappy

NJ-STEELER
01-11-2010, 05:12 PM
i was a little disappointed we didn't address OL sooner but was happy with the value in getting Mendy there.

the sweed pick right after that suprised me some more...didn't think they would go that way at all

cruzer8
01-11-2010, 05:41 PM
It's a shame that hindsight escaped from Pandora's box.

calmkiller
01-11-2010, 07:59 PM
I remember being mad we took Mendenhall in the first because I knew that ment we wouldnt take Owen Schmitt in the later rounds. And I really wants Schmitt

stlrz d
01-11-2010, 11:08 PM
I remember being mad we took Mendenhall in the first because I knew that ment we wouldnt take Owen Schmitt in the later rounds. And I really wants Schmitt

Just curious...how do you feel about that now?

buckeyehoppy
01-11-2010, 11:49 PM
That's how I saw it at the time. I still believe that Sweed will be successful in this league and that next year (provided he can clear his head) Holmes, Ward, Wallace and Sweed are going to be the premier receiving corps in the NFL.

I implore the Gods of Football to make it so, Pappy! Please, please, make it so!!!

Shawn
01-12-2010, 12:02 AM
I know this sounds odd but I would rather have Mendy and Rice than Johnson. Have I said how much I hate speed backs?