PDA

View Full Version : MT interviews Bobby April; QB coach Rip Scherer

PSU_dropout43
01-11-2010, 02:50 AM
Steelers coach Mike Tomlin has three jobs open on his coaching staff. Tomlin fired offensive line coach Larry Zierlein and special teams coach Bob Ligashesky. Quarterbacks coach Ken Anderson retired.

Bobby April, who coached the Steelers' special teams in 1994 and 1995, is a candidate to replace Ligashesky. Tomlin interviewed April yesterday

Also, Rip Scherer Jr. could be a candidate to become the Steelers' quarterbacks coach. Scherer, a Pittsburgh native, is the quarterbacks coach of the Carolina Panthers. He interviewed last week to become the offensive coordinator at the University of Virginia and it is possible the Panthers would grant him permission to interview for the Steelers' job.

Scherer was head coach at the University of Memphis when he hired Tomlin for his second job as a graduate assistant coach in 1996 and the two have remained close. They are both William & Mary graduates. Scherer is the cousin of Kevin Colbert, the Steelers' director of football operations.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10011/10 ... z0cHevT5Rt (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10011/1027372-66.stm#ixzz0cHevT5Rt)

Oviedo
01-11-2010, 09:10 AM
April would be a great addition.

As I said, I don't think any QB coach is going to change Ben but having a good one to develop Dixon and whoever elese may join the team will be very important.

Mister Pittsburgh
01-11-2010, 09:44 AM
Carolina's QB coach? Seriously? Oh, he's Colbert's cousin........... :roll:

feltdizz
01-11-2010, 09:54 AM
Delhommes back up Matt Moore looked pretty good. Not sure if the coach had any impact on his success. Carolina is run heavy too. On sports radio they were just hoping Moore could complete a pass, anytime a guy throws 5 picks, doesn't get benched and gets a new contract it makes you wonder WTF was wrong with the backup. I wouldn't be happy with it.

Oviedo
01-11-2010, 10:24 AM

He has done a very good job with Matt Moore. Moore has looked very good when he has played and will probably take over as starter when they dump Delhomme.

phillyesq
01-11-2010, 10:38 AM

He has done a very good job with Matt Moore. Moore has looked very good when he has played and will probably take over as starter when they dump Delhomme.

He has done a good job with Matt Moore, but Delhomme seems to have severely regressed over the past few years. So I'm not sure what to make of Scherer.

Like almost everybody else, I'd love to see April come back to the Steelers.

Slapstick
01-11-2010, 10:49 AM
I've stated this on another thread, but Scherer was the QB coach in Cleveland when Derek Anderson threw 30 TD passes and made the Pro Bowl. If a coach can squeeze a season like that out of Anderson, what could he do with a franchise QB like Roethlisberger?

Scherer also asks his QBs to be more cerebral...charting passes, getting rid of the ball, etc. While I have come to accept and even love Roethlisberger's big play/sandlot style, perhaps a QB coach like Scherer can prolong his career.