PDA

View Full Version : Khan interviews for Seattle GM job

PSU_dropout43
01-10-2010, 05:12 PM
http://blogs.nfl.com/2010/01/10/steeler ... ks-gm-job/ (http://blogs.nfl.com/2010/01/10/steelers-khan-will-interview-for-seahawks-gm-job/)

Omar Khan, a well-respected front-office executive with the Steelers, will interview for the Seahawks’ general manager vacancy early this week, according to a league source. Khan joins Marc Ross (Giants) and John Schneider (Packers), who will also interview this week, as finalists.

Khan, who has strong ties to the Rooney family in Pittsburgh and has become a key figure in that organization, also has been tabbed by former Steelers coach Bill Cowher as someone he would want to lead his personnel department whenever he returns to the sideline (Cowher isn’t interested in any vacancies at this time, according to sources). Khan has the title of Business and Football Administration Coordinator and handles the salary cap and negotiations for the Steelers.

As we have reported, the Seahawks’ pursuit of Pete Carroll as coach hasn’t impacted their search for a GM. According to league sources, the team has informed candidates that their title and authority will not be impacted by the hire of a new coach, and the GM position would include roster control.

Carroll has the Seattle job if he wants it, and the sides are still working out the final details of a deal.

Should a pact with Carroll somehow fall apart, Carolina’s John Fox likely would be the next coach pursued by Seattle. Fox has one year left on his deal with the Panthers, but he can get out of that contract under certain circumstances, according to sources.

PSU_dropout43
01-11-2010, 02:32 AM
Steelers coaches are not the only ones who may be leaving. Omar Khan, one of the team's top executives, will interview for the general manager's job with the Seattle Seahawks tomorrow.

Khan spent the past nine seasons as the team's chief negotiator with the title of football and business administration coordinator. He is their lead salary cap monitor.

The Seahawks reportedly have hired Southern California's Pete Carroll to be their coach and will interview four people for the general manager's job.

Steelers coach Mike Tomlin has three jobs open on his coaching staff. Tomlin fired offensive line coach Larry Zierlein and special teams coach Bob Ligashesky. Quarterbacks coach Ken Anderson retired.

Bobby April, who coached the Steelers' special teams in 1994 and 1995, is a candidate to replace Ligashesky. Tomlin interviewed April yesterday.

Also, Rip Scherer Jr. could be a candidate to become the Steelers' quarterbacks coach. Scherer, a Pittsburgh native, is the quarterbacks coach of the Carolina Panthers. He interviewed last week to become the offensive coordinator at the University of Virginia and it is possible the Panthers would grant him permission to interview for the Steelers' job.

Scherer was head coach at the University of Memphis when he hired Tomlin for his second job as a graduate assistant coach in 1996 and the two have remained close. They are both William & Mary graduates. Scherer is the cousin of Kevin Colbert, the Steelers' director of football operations.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10011/10 ... z0cHb9bLPA (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10011/1027372-66.stm#ixzz0cHb9bLPA)

buckeyehoppy
01-11-2010, 03:50 AM
Also, Rip Scherer Jr. could be a candidate to become the Steelers' quarterbacks coach. Scherer, a Pittsburgh native, is the quarterbacks coach of the Carolina Panthers. He interviewed last week to become the offensive coordinator at the University of Virginia and it is possible the Panthers would grant him permission to interview for the Steelers' job.

Scherer was head coach at the University of Memphis when he hired Tomlin for his second job as a graduate assistant coach in 1996 and the two have remained close. They are both William & Mary graduates. Scherer is the cousin of Kevin Colbert, the Steelers' director of football operations.

A question: BA has one year left on his deal, right?

If so, hiring this guy makes sense if a deal can be worked out to make him OC once they shove BAs @$$ out the door.

With Zierlein and Anderson out, BA has to know that his unit has to produce this year. That's especially true in the last year of his contract.

Hiring Scherer is probably a wise move by the FO assuming they can convince him that it won't be a lateral move for more than just the first season.

steelblood
01-11-2010, 08:50 AM

If so, hiring this guy makes sense if a deal can be worked out to make him OC once they shove BAs @$$ out the door.

With Zierlein and Anderson out, BA has to know that his unit has to produce this year. That's especially true in the last year of his contract.

Hiring Scherer is probably a wise move by the FO assuming they can convince him that it won't be a lateral move for more than just the first season.

You want to make him the OC in waiting? Based on what? Carolina QB play was terrilbe this year. Delhomme cannot find his accuracy and has zero confidence. I don't think I'm interested in this guy as a QB coach, let alone an OC.

stlrz d
01-11-2010, 09:40 AM
http://whall.org/blog/files/lolcats-kahn.jpg

stlrz d
01-11-2010, 09:41 AM

You want to make him the OC in waiting? Based on what? Carolina QB play was terrilbe this year. Delhomme cannot find his accuracy and has zero confidence. I don't think I'm interested in this guy as a QB coach, let alone an OC.

Jake has lost it. No amount of coaching is helping him.

phillyesq
01-11-2010, 11:52 AM
Losing Khan would be a big loss, IMO. As the Steelers chief negotiator, he has worked out a number of reasonable deals in resigning the Steelers own FAs. The Steelers have very few deals, if any, that are a real albatross on the cap.

papillon
01-11-2010, 12:23 PM
I'm curious why Seattle would hire a capologist to run their football operations? Does Khan have any skill in evaluating NFL football talent?

Pappy

RuthlessBurgher
01-11-2010, 01:13 PM
I'm curious why Seattle would hire a capologist to run their football operations? Does Khan have any skill in evaluating NFL football talent?

Pappy

My guess (not saying that this would be the smart way to go, but a possibility) would be that in order to lure Carroll away from USC, perhaps they had to offer him full control over all football decisions (draft, free agency, etc.) in addition to being the head coach. However, since he does not have experience with the intricacies of the salary cap, he would need an experienced capologist to work out all of the details of player contracts and the like. I think Khan would be given the title of GM, but he essentially would be doing the same job that he is here.

papillon
01-11-2010, 01:16 PM

Pappy

My guess (not saying that this would be the smart way to go, but a possibility) would be that in order to lure Carroll away from USC, perhaps they had to offer him full control over all football decisions (draft, free agency, etc.) in addition to being the head coach. However, since he does not have experience with the intricacies of the salary cap, he would need an experienced capologist to work out all of the details of player contracts and the like. I think Khan would be given the title of GM, but he essentially would be doing the same job that he is here.

Do executives have to be offered promotions to be made available to other teams in a similar fashion as coaches?

Pappy

RuthlessBurgher
01-11-2010, 01:20 PM

Pappy

Do executives have to be offered promotions to be made available to other teams in a similar fashion as coaches?

Pappy

I think your current team has to grant permission for another team to interview one of its guys. I don't mind that the Rooneys allowed the Seahawks to interview Khan, because it would (ostensibly) be a promotion for him, and you don't want to prevent your employees from going elsewhere if they are offered (what appears to be) a promotion.

What I don't understand is why the Eagles allowed the Browns to interview their GM Tom Heckert. That's a lateral move...why would you allow another team to poach your GM to him the same job on their team if you don't have to allow the interview?

phillyesq
01-11-2010, 01:36 PM

Pappy

Pappy

I think your current team has to grant permission for another team to interview one of its guys. I don't mind that the Rooneys allowed the Seahawks to interview Khan, because it would (ostensibly) be a promotion for him, and you don't want to prevent your employees from going elsewhere if they are offered (what appears to be) a promotion.

What I don't understand is why the Eagles allowed the Browns to interview their GM Tom Heckert. That's a lateral move...why would you allow another team to poach your GM to him the same job on their team if you don't have to allow the interview?

The Eagles recommended Heckert to the Falcons a few years ago. They had somebody else doing a similar job, and I read that they were suffering from too many people doing the same thing.