PDA

View Full Version : Arians....you taking notes?

Captain Lemming
01-10-2010, 03:10 PM
Big passing versus big running.

People, including Ben confuse the value of "prolific passing" versus "effective" passing.

Dominating run game with quality clutch QB play is the key to a great offense.

DukieBoy
01-10-2010, 03:14 PM
Hoping that Arians took note of the Sowboys playcalling last night.

MaxAMillion
01-10-2010, 04:27 PM

People, including Ben confuse the value of "prolific passing" versus "effective" passing.

So you have already determined that the Colts and Saints have no chance to win the Super Bowl? Those are past first teams. Also, the Chargers now pass more effectively than run. I think when all is said and done, a pass first team will win the Super Bowl.

The other thing to note is teams like the Ravens and Jets have invested heavily in their OL (1st round draft choices and money). The Steelers have not done that over the last decade. That doesn't have anything to do with Arians.

NorthCoast
01-10-2010, 04:46 PM
Loved Ray Rice coming out of Syracuse and after seeing what he is doing today, makes me shed a tear we did not grab him when we could.

BURGH86STEEL
01-10-2010, 04:56 PM
Loved Ray Rice coming out of Syracuse and after seeing what he is doing today, makes me shed a tear we did not grab him when we could.

Syracuse? He played at Rutgers.

NorthCoast
01-10-2010, 04:59 PM

Syracuse? He played at Rutgers.

My bad, ..you're right.

msp26505
01-10-2010, 06:16 PM
So you have already determined that the Colts and Saints have no chance to win the Super Bowl? Those are past first teams. Also, the Chargers now pass more effectively than run. I think when all is said and done, a pass first team will win the Super Bowl.

If I felt this way (and if you read my posts it's obvious that I don't), I think I'd wait until after next week to express my opinion.

More often than not, running and defense trumps passing, regardless of Oveido's trendy statistics.

Does the opposite sometimes happen? Of course. But the smart man plays the odds.

Bill Cowher was successful because he understood what works. He was not great because he didn't understand that you sometimes take chances.

BURGH86STEEL
01-10-2010, 06:32 PM

If I felt this way (and if you read my posts it's obvious that I don't), I think I'd wait until after next week to express my opinion.

More often than not, running and defense trumps passing, regardless of Oveido's trendy statistics.

Does the opposite sometimes happen? Of course. But the smart man plays the odds.

Bill Cowher was successful because he understood what works. He was not great because he didn't understand that you sometimes take chances.

it is your personal philosophy is that running and defense trumps passing. There are other philosophies that have proven to be effective in the NFL.

If running trumps passing, why don't all teams just digress into 50's, 60's, or 70's style of football?

Chadman
01-10-2010, 06:42 PM
Pretty sure the Colts, Rams, Patriots, even back to the Favre led Packers won on a passing heavy offense...

feltdizz
01-10-2010, 06:43 PM

it is your personal philosophy is that running and defense trumps passing. There are other philosophies that have proven to be effective in the NFL.

If running trumps passing, why don't all teams just digress into 50's, 60's, or 70's style of football?

The Jets game and the Ravens game was 60's and 70's football. People think the fancy graphics and the speak uniforms have changed the game of football. It's still the same game. Flacco had a passer rating of 2.5, 6 attempts and a 20 point lead. Sanchez didn't throw a ton of passs either... There is no need to throw heavy when your D is stout and they get turn overs.

There hasn't been a prolific passing team victory yet in the playoffs and AZ is running as well.

feltdizz
01-10-2010, 06:47 PM
Pretty sure the Colts, Rams, Patriots, even back to the Favre led Packers won on a passing heavy offense...
Nope... It appears that way but look closer at the stats and you will see a nice amount of runs in each game. Also remember GB had a KR right after a Pats TD. The Heisman guy was MVP I think.

Maybe the Rams but I think Faulk got a lot of touches. Colts ran way more then usually and Rodderic Rhodes finished the game off.

msp26505
01-10-2010, 06:47 PM

My guess is that either they are too stupid (Bruce Arians) or don't have the personnel.

And for the record, my philosophy is that running and defense is the major factor, but not the only one. Ben is the reason we could win a SB right now if we have more of a commitment to the run.

Depending on the makeup of a team, QB play is probably the biggest factor, but is not capable of winning in and of itself. This team could be another dynasty if they played like the teams of the mid-90's and early 2000's with Ben at the helm taking a few chances.

Chadman
01-10-2010, 06:51 PM
Nope... It appears that way but look closer at the stats and you will see a nice amount of runs in each game. Also remember GB had a KR right after a Pats TD. The Heisman guy was MVP I think.

Maybe the Rams but I think Faulk got a lot of touches. Colts ran way more then usually and Rodderic Rhodes finished the game off.

Mendenhall got a lot of touches this year too. But it was still a pass heavy offense- same as the ones I mentioned. Don't forget that Mendy got 1000 yards this year.

More importantly- the defenses of each team where not that strong.

feltdizz
01-10-2010, 07:02 PM

Mendenhall got a lot of touches this year too. But it was still a pass heavy offense- same as the ones I mentioned. Don't forget that Mendy got 1000 yards this year.

and Mend didn't play all 16 games.. more touches for Mend and some D and we get a ring next year.

BURGH86STEEL
01-10-2010, 07:12 PM

The Jets game and the Ravens game was 60's and 70's football. People think the fancy graphics and the speak uniforms have changed the game of football. It's still the same game. Flacco had a passer rating of 2.5, 6 attempts and a 20 point lead. Sanchez didn't throw a ton of passs either... There is no need to throw heavy when your D is stout and they get turn overs.

There hasn't been a prolific passing team victory yet in the playoffs and AZ is running as well.

There is a contingent of people that claim shutting down the passing game, playing good defense, and running is going "turtle ball." Heard it so many times in the Cowher era. What would you say to those people?

The Cowboys are a prolific passing team. Both the Ravens and Cowboys had the aid of great defensive play and turnovers.

It will be nice if the Steelers can run the ball consistently well whenever they want. As long as Ben is the QB of this team I don't think that will happen. Whatever the Steelers decide to do they need to do it well.

feltdizz
01-10-2010, 07:40 PM
There are some fans who are more Ben fans than Steeler fans. Cowher was great he just had bad QB's. I would love to see us go back to game manager offense aka turtleball but I knew when Ben got that contract he was going to do what he wanted.

Dallas has 3 running backs and they all get touches. If Romo gets 2 rings (never).... but if he did he would get to throw crossing routes to Jessica Simpson if he wanted to. He has been doing what he wants for years without a playoff win.

Chadman
01-10-2010, 07:42 PM

and Mend didn't play all 16 games.. more touches for Mend and some D and we get a ring next year.

Yes and no- Mendy DID play through the 5 game losing streak- that didn't seem to help the win/loss record much..

And the Steelers Wins tended to come on the back of Ben's passing...

Arians mix of run & pass for the majority of the each game is not bad- why not have Ben pass & pass often? He is an elite player- you want those guys with the ball as often as possible.

Converting 3rd downs & short yardage is the problem- get some situational guys in the help that- and improve the INTERIOR RUN BLOCKING on the OL.

Then the Defense needs a bit of a revamp & we are all good.

Guess you can't count Chadman into the group of Arians haters just yet..

grotonsteel
01-10-2010, 07:42 PM

I guess Dick Lebeau also needs to take notes from Rex Ryan and Raven D.C.

Stop the prevent D and 10-yard cushion plays.

Chadman
01-10-2010, 07:46 PM
There are some fans who are more Ben fans than Steeler fans. Cowher was great he just had bad QB's. I would love to see us go back to game manager offense aka turtleball but I knew when Ben got that contract he was going to do what he wanted.

Dallas has 3 running backs and they all get touches. If Romo gets 2 rings (never).... but if he did he would get to throw crossing routes to Jessica Simpson if he wanted to. He has been doing what he wants for years without a playoff win.

"There are some fans who are more Ben fans than Steeler fans"- come on mate- you can do better than this, Chadman has seen better from you! :)

When you have elite players- and Ben IS elite- you want them to have the ball as much as possible.

It's like saying that even though we have Troy- who is elite- we should use him as a center field defender only because we need to stop the big pass plays. You can't do that- you have to put these guys in positions to make the most of their skills.

Ben is a far greater player than Mendenhall. Not saying Mendy shouldn't see 20-25 touches- but you have to pass the ball more if you have Ben at QB.

NJ-STEELER
01-10-2010, 08:02 PM
how many high draft picks/probowlers/big free agent signings does dallas have on their OL?

maybe thats why they can run and pass the ball well on offense

feltdizz
01-10-2010, 08:13 PM

"There are some fans who are more Ben fans than Steeler fans"- come on mate- you can do better than this, Chadman has seen better from you! :)

When you have elite players- and Ben IS elite- you want them to have the ball as much as possible.

It's like saying that even though we have Troy- who is elite- we should use him as a center field defender only because we need to stop the big pass plays. You can't do that- you have to put these guys in positions to make the most of their skills.

Ben is a far greater player than Mendenhall. Not saying Mendy shouldn't see 20-25 touches- but you have to pass the ball more if you have Ben at QB.

But it's also like saying since Troy can blitz he should do it all the time. Ben IS elite... but I think Ben is elite because of his early success and the playaction and broken plays he extends. I don't think with a guy like Mend we need to have Ben go all out every game. The Denver game was great. Why can't Mend have a 1600 yard season and Ben cleans up due to thrat and play action?

If we gave Mend 20-25 I would be happy. 11 times is pathetic though on a cold windy day.

feltdizz
01-10-2010, 08:17 PM
how many high draft picks/probowlers/big free agent signings does dallas have on their OL?

maybe thats why they can run and pass the ball well on offense
Tashard Choice and Felix Jones can cutback, make people miss and scoot...

Mend is not as shifty or quick as they are but he has homerun in him if he develops a stiff arm

DukieBoy
01-10-2010, 08:31 PM
The Steelers are an outdoor, cold-weather team. We need to be effective in the running game.

The Cleveland game was bewildering and, even moreso, maddening. The cold, wind, rain up in that mausoleum of a stadium is almost uniquely bad. Yet, in that game, the Steelers throw 32 times, for 18 completions, 201 yards, running 22 times for 77 yards and no touchdowns. Alot of throws for such conditions. The strategy was was bewildering. Meanwhile, Cleveland throws 19 times for 6 completions and 90 yards, while running 37 times for 171 yards and 1 touchdown.

Had we been willing and able to run the ball in that game, we play this weekend, and maybe further into the playoffs.

BURGH86STEEL
01-10-2010, 08:51 PM
The Steelers are an outdoor, cold-weather team. We need to be effective in the running game.

The Cleveland game was bewildering and, even moreso, maddening. The cold, wind, rain up in that mausoleum of a stadium is almost uniquely bad. Yet, in that game, the Steelers throw 32 times, for 18 completions, 201 yards, running 22 times for 77 yards and no touchdowns. Alot of throws for such conditions. The strategy was was bewildering. Meanwhile, Cleveland throws 19 times for 6 completions and 90 yards, while running 37 times for 171 yards and 1 touchdown.

Had we been willing and able to run the ball in that game, we play this weekend, and maybe further into the playoffs.

The problem is they were not able to do anything well against the Browns. The defense and special teams can lumped in with that offense.

Had the defense been able to make one stop with several opportunities, we would be playing this weekend.

Rehashing this issue with the offense and defense gets tired. They had bad offensive and defensive performances under Cowher and Knoll. It will happen again in the future. The TEAM simply was not good enough to make the playoffs this season.

DukieBoy
01-10-2010, 08:57 PM

The problem is they were not able to do anything well against the Browns. The defense and special teams can lumped in with that offense.

Had the defense been able to make one stop with several opportunities, we would be playing this weekend.

Rehashing this issue with the offense and defense gets tired. They had bad offensive and defensive performances under Cowher and Knoll. It will happen again in the future. The TEAM simply was not good enough to make the playoffs this season.

The Browns scored 13 points in that game. Not bad defense in that gaem (yes, in others, but not in that critical game.
And then there are the 8 sacks also in that game.

We need to be able to run the ball, If it gets tired from you, don't bother ti read it.

feltdizz
01-10-2010, 09:16 PM

We lost 4 games straight prior tithe Browns game and it was a short week. Not making excuses cause we stank... but we aren't the first team to lose to a scrub team after 4 straight... It's not like we felt like winners.

There is a reason why we have had a ton of last second losses. For some reason you keep talking about this Browns loss like we were on a roll.

BURGH86STEEL
01-10-2010, 09:22 PM

The Browns scored 13 points in that game. Not bad defense in that gaem (yes, in others, but not in that critical game.
And then there are the 8 sacks also in that game.

We need to be able to run the ball, If it gets tired from you, don't bother ti read it.

Looking at the score you would think the defense played well. The defense gave up to many rushing yards to the Browns (specifically Cribs). Overall, the defense and special teams had issues stopping Cribs. He was the one player they knew they had to stop. Yet, they could not stop him.

I like to think as the Browns loss as a total team loss. IMO, not one area of the team played well.