PDA

View Full Version : April/Smith Rumors

SteelStallion
01-10-2010, 12:32 PM
Heard from a friend in Pittsburgh that it was going around the local media that Bobby April was coming in for an interview. I found NOTHING on the internet to support that. But I did hear from Ken Laird/ESPN 1250 that Tomlin contacted Danny Smith last week, told him to 'stand by' prior to firing Coach Lig. Danny Smith- special teams coach of Washington Redskins, lost job with the Zorn firing, 14 year vet., highly regarded, Skins ranked something like 5th in kickoff coverage and third in punt coverage, graduated from Pgh Central Catholic in the 80s, coached with Tomlin at Wm & Mary.

Wondering if anybody heard anything or is this more false rumors from mainstream media.

Ozey74
01-10-2010, 12:46 PM
It would be a step in the right direction if true!

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
01-10-2010, 01:44 PM

FWIW so far having no ST coach is a step in the right direction. :lol:

papillon
01-10-2010, 10:55 PM

:Bow :Bow :Bow

Pappy

BradshawsHairdresser
01-10-2010, 11:21 PM
Wasn't Laird the same one who reported that Arians would be axed?

BradshawsHairdresser
01-10-2010, 11:22 PM

Oviedo
01-11-2010, 10:54 AM
Heard from a friend in Pittsburgh that it was going around the local media that Bobby April was coming in for an interview. I found NOTHING on the internet to support that. But I did hear from Ken Laird/ESPN 1250 that Tomlin contacted Danny Smith last week, told him to 'stand by' prior to firing Coach Lig. Danny Smith- special teams coach of Washington Redskins, lost job with the Zorn firing, 14 year vet., highly regarded, Skins ranked something like 5th in kickoff coverage and third in punt coverage, graduated from Pgh Central Catholic in the 80s, coached with Tomlin at Wm & Mary.

Wondering if anybody heard anything or is this more false rumors from mainstream media.

Don't believe Tomlin ever coached at Wm & Mary so was this guy a player with him or is he older and was he a coach while Tomlin was a player. Not really a big deal but just trying to guage the relationship

Oviedo
01-11-2010, 10:58 AM

Don't believe Tomlin ever coached at Wm & Mary so was this guy a player with him or is he older and was he a coach while Tomlin was a player. Not really a big deal but just trying to guage the relationship

Found answer. Appears he was a college coach when Tomlin was a player

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Danny_Smith_(coach)

proudpittsburgher
01-11-2010, 11:07 AM

Bingo . . . sounds like it is the "anything that sticks to the wall" approach. FWIW, I wouldn't mind seeing April back in Pittsburgh.

Oviedo
01-11-2010, 11:14 AM

Bingo . . . sounds like it is the "anything that sticks to the wall" approach. FWIW, I wouldn't mind seeing April back in Pittsburgh.

I agree, but Danny Smith as a native Pittsburgher who has a personal relationship with Tomlin and established success in the NFL seems like a good alternative too and perhaps more likely.

aggiebones
01-11-2010, 01:44 PM

Amen to that.

April showers bring May flowers.

Bobby April will be ST coach and Mark May will quit his job being Sideshow Bob for Holtz and coach our OL.

RuthlessBurgher
01-11-2010, 01:46 PM

Amen to that.

April showers bring May flowers.

Bobby April will be ST coach and Mark May will quit his job being Sideshow Bob for Holtz and coach our OL.

Or maybe Bobby April brings back a couple of Lees...Lee Mays and Lee Flowers. :wink:

aggiebones
01-11-2010, 01:55 PM
I thought Tyrone Carter was just Lee Flowers sneaking back onto the field with extensions.

RuthlessBurgher
01-11-2010, 02:00 PM
I think Lee Flowers plays saxophone for money on the Roberto Clemente bridge after every home game. Dude's always there...and he looks just like Flowers.

SteelStallion
01-11-2010, 02:32 PM
http://m.post-gazette.com/Article.aspx?itemid=1027372

A few more tidbits.

costanza2k1
01-12-2010, 02:56 AM
He's interviewing with Singletary tomorrow:

http://www.mercurynews.com/breaking-news/ci_14169040

...49ers: Bobby April, most recently with the Buffalo Bills, will meet with coach Mike Singletary today to discuss the 49ers' special teams vacancy.
April is the officially the second candidate for the job. Larry Mac Duff interviewed last week....