PDA

View Full Version : Pete Carroll to Seahawks

calmkiller
01-09-2010, 01:33 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... -seahawks/ (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/01/09/report-carroll-agrees-to-coach-seahawks/)

Pete Carroll leaving USC to coach the Seattle Seahawks appears to be a done deal.

Adam Schefter of ESPN reports that Carroll has agreed on a deal to take the job. According to Schefter, the only hangup is that the Seahawks can't make the hiring official until they comply with the Rooney Rule by interviewing a minority candidate.

Of course, at this point, if the Seahawks do interview a minority candidate solely to comply with the Rooney Rule, they would be making a complete mockery of the Rooney Rule.

Vikings defensive coordinator Leslie Frazier has reportedly decided to sit for an interview after being assured that Carroll doesn't have the job yet. Perhaps after reading Schefter's report, Frazier will change his mind.

stlrz d
01-09-2010, 01:36 PM
My brother posts on a Trojans forum and he says there is a guy there with very, very good inside sources who says the Trojans are going to throw a bunch of money at Cowher to try and get him there. If Carroll leaves that is.

Btw, Mark Sanchez has issued a statement: I don't think Pete's ready to coach in the NFL. :D

calmkiller
01-09-2010, 01:58 PM
I think he will bomb as a HC in the NFL. Doesn't matter there goes USC.

feltdizz
01-09-2010, 03:15 PM
This is why I don't trust any college coaches word. I'm watching the Army east west HS game and they keep talking about USC and how kids are getting calls from Meyer and other coaches regarding the Carroll rumor.

One other thing.. NBC just brought up the USC Reggie Bush scandal and the punishment that is likely to come... Gotta love how a coach gets to leave but the kids have to sit out a year if they want to transfer. College football is the best.

Shoe
01-09-2010, 04:41 PM
They have the potential to big something special up there in Seattle, what with his protege (Sarkisian) running the ship at UW. UW could serve as a JV or sorts, a pipeline for the big squad. At the very least, having a close relationship with the in-city college coach won't hurt.

$hitloads of money, a decent cupboard, that aforementioned link... Carroll has to get it done here, if he wants to establish himself as a true coaching great.

feltdizz
01-09-2010, 04:59 PM
They have the potential to big something special up there in Seattle, what with his protege (Sarkisian) running the ship at UW. UW could serve as a JV or sorts, a pipeline for the big squad. At the very least, having a close relationship with the in-city college coach won't hurt.

$hitloads of money, a decent cupboard, that aforementioned link... Carroll has to get it done here, if he wants to establish himself as a true coaching great.
I don't see how UW's connection helps Seattle in the pro's... I do see how it may help UW though... I don't see Carroll doing anything great at Seattle. He can't cheat like he did at USC. He can't pay for draft picks either. If he succeeds it's due to Homlgren making moves. Meyer doesn't help any of the NFL teams in the state succeed. Ohio State doesn't help Cleveland...

I think NFL connections help colleges get players but the draft pretty much wipes out the college to NFL connection. The only plus is late rounders and most times those guys are fan favs but rarely stick with the home team. IMO

RuthlessBurgher
01-09-2010, 05:19 PM

I don't see how UW's connection helps Seattle in the pro's... I do see how it may help UW though... I don't see Carroll doing anything great at Seattle. He can't cheat like he did at USC. He can't pay for draft picks either. If he succeeds it's due to Homlgren making moves. Meyer doesn't help any of the NFL teams in the state succeed. Ohio State doesn't help Cleveland...

I think NFL connections help colleges get players but the draft pretty much wipes out the college to NFL connection. The only plus is late rounders and most times those guys are fan favs but rarely stick with the home team. IMO

Mike Holmgren is the president of the Cleveland Browns now.

frankthetank1
01-09-2010, 05:21 PM

well he wasnt successful with the pats and jets so i think your right. why would carroll leave usc for the seahawks? he has the best college job you can have and he has been so successful at usc. its a dumb move imo. its not like usc is paying him peanuts

skyhawk
01-09-2010, 06:33 PM
Seahawks fans up here are hating this move!! Ha!

Shoe
01-09-2010, 06:36 PM

Potentially it's minimal I agree... but I think any time you have a good relationship in that scenario, it can't be a bad thing. It'd probably be more about image/perception (two SC guys coming and bringing their success to Seattle) than probably anything else. I also agree that he can't cheat (in the NFL, only Belichick* can). But Holmgren hasn't left a finished product in place by any means. They have talent in some spots, but no identity. If Carroll succeeds, it's not cuz he's cooking with Holmgren's groceries.

DukieBoy
01-09-2010, 08:15 PM
Old Pats West

:loser

feltdizz
01-09-2010, 09:05 PM
Shoe.. I was thinking Holmgren was the Seattle GM.. I forgot he is in Cleveland. Pete Carroll is toast. Look how good USC was this year... withou superior talent he isn't a crafty coach IMO.

stlrz d
01-09-2010, 09:11 PM
Carroll is the guy who built the USC program back up.

feltdizz
01-09-2010, 10:10 PM
True, but they are also about to get punished for the Reggie Bush pay off and a few other violations. I think this is why he is leaving.

Pittsburgh
01-09-2010, 10:14 PM
Old Pats West

:loser

I second that.

Building up USC was nice and all, but let's see what he does in his second NFL stint. If I were a Seahawk fan (kill me), I wouldn't exactly be jumping for joy.

stlrz d
01-09-2010, 10:14 PM
They all cheat.

Getting caught is another story.

feltdizz
01-09-2010, 10:21 PM
They all cheat.

I went to Tennessee for a year... Steak dinners, Sega in every room and all the players drove nice cars...

Bam Morris.. I know.. but he told a friend of mine he flat out told coaches whoever paid the most would get him. I think he said it was 6 figures easy.

stlrz d
01-09-2010, 10:28 PM
They all cheat.

I went to Tennessee for a year... Steak dinners, Sega in every room and all the players drove nice cars...

Bam Morris.. I know.. but he told a friend of mine he flat out told coaches whoever paid the most would get him. I think he said it was 6 figures easy.

Yup...they all cheat. That's why I don't think they should be paid...they already are being paid.

NKySteeler
01-10-2010, 12:39 AM

Yea, he sucked as a HC in his attempt at the NFL level, but given WHERE he was needs to be taken into account.... Belichick didn't do well in that system either.... Look it up.

Personally, I hate that he might be leaving... I love the school and I love the coach.

Maybe it's "unfinished business" in as much as he is a competitor and wants to win as well as take on all challenges, and prove he can do it in the NFL.

.... Or maybe it's just pure greed for money.... :lol:

Lonbull
01-10-2010, 12:55 AM
I live in Los Angeles - and word on the street is that sanctions against USC for Reggie Bush and Joe McKnight could cause USC to be ineligible for Bowl Games. Hence

USC (without Bowl Games) obviously becomes a harder place to recruit.

Basically Carroll is leaving for the pros while he can still get some leverage from his name.

That's what sports radio is saying in Los Angeles.

L.B.

SteelCzar76
01-10-2010, 01:06 AM
The reality is Gentleman and a few ladies,....who with any measure of confidence, intelligence and competitive drive is going to turn down 35 Mill over five years and ABSOLUTE control over personnel ?

Do your thing Coach,...the Program will continue to Fight ON, adapt and overcome.

feltdizz
01-10-2010, 02:17 AM
The reality is Gentleman and a few ladies,....who with any measure of confidence, intelligence and competitive drive is going to turn down 35 Mill over five years and ABSOLUTE control over personnel ?

Do your thing Coach,...the Program will continue to Fight ON, adapt and overcome.

Mac Brown gets 5 mill a season.. money is not the issue. USC will fight on the couch when bowl season rolls around. Get used to 55 point spankings like they got this season.

SteelCzar76
01-10-2010, 04:28 AM

Mac Brown gets 5 mill a season.. money is not the issue. USC will fight on the couch when bowl season rolls around. Get used to 55 point spankings like they got this season.

Money is always of importance Dizz,...not allowing oneself to be governed by it (as it represents the sustainment of physical life to an extent) is where things become "tricky" if you will. Challenge, the opportunity to actually acheive greatness, and a legacy that none of your peers could truly even fathom is an entirely different matter however.

And as far as "55 point spankings" becoming a thing of regularity,.....simply because you would like for it to be so,....has no bearing whatsoever upon what will actually come to pass. (Though i do applaud your honesty in terms of your opinion) :lol:

frankthetank1
01-10-2010, 11:59 AM
True, but they are also about to get punished for the Reggie Bush pay off and a few other violations. I think this is why he is leaving.

i think you are right about that one. if its not because of that reason its for the money or maybe some of both. not only bush but now with the mcknight situation and there will be more to come im sure. no way usc falls off that much though, they will still be a top 5 team

feltdizz
01-10-2010, 01:56 PM

i think you are right about that one. if its not because of that reason its for the money or maybe some of both. not only bush but now with the mcknight situation and there will be more to come im sure. no way usc falls off that much though, they will still be a top 5 team

They are barely a top 25 team this year... Meyer is peeling off USC kids left and right due to the Carroll rumors and the violations. Expect to see Oregon State, Oregon, Stanford and others handing out crushing defeats.. I also think another QB named Corp left USC.

It's over... USC will bounce back like Nebraska..

stlrz d
01-10-2010, 02:05 PM
The top HS shut down corner/safety committed to USC yesterday.

http://oklahoma.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1037800