PDA

View Full Version : SHould We Draft a TE?

flippy
01-09-2010, 10:10 AM
Is the 2 TE set the staple of a future Pittsburgh offense?

If so, do we look to upgrade Spaeth?

The 2 TE set lets us pass or run. Gives us the most flexibility. But do we need an Antonio Gates/Tony Gonzalez type of to help us score points?

What if we targeted a Jermaine Gresham from OK? or someone similar?

Mister Pittsburgh
01-09-2010, 11:06 AM
I honestly think Spaeth is underutilized. In 2008, when Heath went down for 2 games, Spaeth caught 12 passes for 108 yards. The rest of the year, however, he only caught 5 other passes for 28 yards. You figure it isn't exactly a secret that Heath is a primary weapon in our offense so is covered quite a bit. So kind of how Wallace had such a terrific year cause Holmes & Hines are covered, Spaeth should be able to sneak out and make some big catches in big situations. Why isn't he used more?

With our redzone struggles you would think a 6'7" 270lb pass catching TE would be a very attractive target inside the 20's. We have seen TE's hurt us the past 2 seasons in the redzone. In the Superbowl the Cardinals TE caught their first TD in that game on a jump ball in the endzone. This year we saw the likes of Finley from GB and Heap from Baltimore have big grabs in the endzone in mismatched coverage against our CB. I would think Spaeth could out jump and out muscle a 6' tall CB. But maybe I am missing something.

I can't recall Spaeth dropping passes or anything so who knows. Never know what happens in practice I guess. Overall though, to answer your question, Spaeth is a huge pass catching TE we dropped a 3rd round pick on. If we drafted another TE, would he be utilized more than Spaeth?

Sugar
01-09-2010, 11:13 AM
I honestly think Spaeth is underutilized. In 2008, when Heath went down for 2 games, Spaeth caught 12 passes for 108 yards. The rest of the year, however, he only caught 5 other passes for 28 yards. You figure it isn't exactly a secret that Heath is a primary weapon in our offense so is covered quite a bit. So kind of how Wallace had such a terrific year cause Holmes & Hines are covered, Spaeth should be able to sneak out and make some big catches in big situations. Why isn't he used more?

With our redzone struggles you would think a 6'7" 270lb pass catching TE would be a very attractive target inside the 20's. We have seen TE's hurt us the past 2 seasons in the redzone. In the Superbowl the Cardinals TE caught their first TD in that game on a jump ball in the endzone. This year we saw the likes of Finley from GB and Heap from Baltimore have big grabs in the endzone in mismatched coverage against our CB. I would think Spaeth could out jump and out muscle a 6' tall CB. But maybe I am missing something.

I can't recall Spaeth dropping passes or anything so who knows. Never know what happens in practice I guess. Overall though, to answer your question, Spaeth is a huge pass catching TE we dropped a 3rd round pick on. If we drafted another TE, would he be utilized more than Spaeth?

:Agree

I could understand if people thought we needed another bruiser TE, but Spaeth is actually a good receiving TE. The Steelers just don't use him.

grotonsteel
01-09-2010, 11:28 AM

I could understand if people thought we needed another bruiser TE, but Spaeth is actually a good receiving TE. The Steelers just don't use him.

steelblood
01-09-2010, 05:43 PM

I disagree. In those games he took over for Heath, I remember that he did okay against zone coverage, but had trouble getting open against man. He also looked like he was stuck in mud (which sometimes he was at Heinz field) after catching the ball.

Spaeth does catch the ball well. But, he has absolutely no run after the catch ability. He is not fast enough to get open down the seam. And, he is not as tough as I'd like. I think his blocking is sometimes good, sometimes terrible. I'd love to upgrade him with a TE that has better speed and run after the catch ability. Spaeth is a 3rd TE quality player imho.

frankthetank1
01-09-2010, 05:49 PM
spaeth is probably as good as your going to get as a 2nd string te. i really like david johnson a lot. he is a great blocker and if the steelers are going to go with the 2 te set a lot i would rather see johnson in than spaeth. god i miss the days of having a fb.

steelblood
01-09-2010, 07:23 PM
spaeth is probably as good as your going to get as a 2nd string te. i really like david johnson a lot. he is a great blocker and if the steelers are going to go with the 2 te set a lot i would rather see johnson in than spaeth. god i miss the days of having a fb.

This is a great TE draft. I am not advocating that we take a TE necessarily. But, if we are going to play a lot of 2 TE sets as we have in the past, we could consider upgrading the position IF a very good TE falls to us in the middle rounds to late rounds..

BURGH86STEEL
01-09-2010, 07:58 PM
I don't think looking at a TE early in the draft is an option with the defensive questions on the team. Who knows who the Steelers will draft. They can be totally unpredictable.

DukieBoy
01-09-2010, 08:06 PM
I'd like a TE who can light up some blocks first and foremost. I have not seen Spaeth light up anybody as a blocker. I thought he could be a good RZ TE, but it has not proven out for whatever reason.

feltdizz
01-09-2010, 11:03 PM
I would love a late round run blocking TE. Real late... 7th round gem. However, I wouldn't mind a true deep threat TE.. That Keller kid for the Jets was impressive today. He could scoot.

We need D bad though this year.

papillon
01-09-2010, 11:05 PM
I think we're going to see a bit of a different running game next year. A true blocking TE may be drafted, but not until the 5th or 6th round.

Pappy

Steel Life
01-09-2010, 11:10 PM
With all the other holes we have, I'd pass. But you never know with Colbert, he may surprise us & draft one when a stud defender is available.

steelfin
01-10-2010, 12:08 AM
Spaeth blows...wasted pick...but I dont see wasting another high draft pick on TE when we have so many glaring needs on the Oline and defensive side of the ball....

We also need to conside the WR spot....Holmes will be gone after his contract, Hines is getting up there in years and Sweed.....well its not looking so good....

Lonbull
01-10-2010, 01:17 AM
Flippinburghers -

I'm of course all for drafting the BPA in most cases so if in the second day of drafting an interesting prospect at TE comes along - so be it -

However next season we have

Heath Miller, Matt Spaeth, Sean McHugh, and David Johnson coming back.

David Johnson was reported to be a very solid blocker at TE and he'll be 23 years old next season.

I could certainly see where the Steelers could bring in another guy to compete - but currently we're pretty good at TE.

L.B.

Oviedo
01-10-2010, 09:50 AM
Flippinburghers -

I'm of course all for drafting the BPA in most cases so if in the second day of drafting an interesting prospect at TE comes along - so be it -

David Johnson was reported to be a very solid blocker at TE and he'll be 23 years old next season.

I could certainly see where the Steelers could bring in another guy to compete - but currently we're pretty good at TE.

L.B.

Both McHugh and Johnson are probably better suited to playing FB. Neither has the size or the pass catching ability you expect ou5t of an elite TE. Even in Detroit, McHugh played more FB than TE and late last season the running game really got better when he played the FB role. Neither McHiugh or Johnson will force an opponents defensive coordinator to take them into account as part of his game planning.

Other than Heath none of the TEs we have are game chamgers. You add someone like a Jermaine Gresham on the field at the same time as Heath and you have created a mismatch problem that no team will be able to deal with, particularly in the Red Zone which we all acknowledge is a problem.

Think about over the next couple of years as Hines gets older. He is Ben's safety blanket and primary possession receiver. Get someone like Gresham who has TE size and a WR skill set a couple years experience to step into that role. That would not be a bad addition. And you are hearing this from a defense first philosophy fan.

MeetJoeGreene
01-10-2010, 10:34 AM
Andrew Quarless - Penn State

PSU_dropout43
01-10-2010, 01:52 PM
Aaron Hernandez - Florida

RuthlessBurgher
01-11-2010, 04:29 PM
Flippinburghers -

L.B.

Both McHugh and Johnson are probably better suited to playing FB. Neither has the size or the pass catching ability you expect ou5t of an elite TE. Even in Detroit, McHugh played more FB than TE and late last season the running game really got better when he played the FB role. Neither McHiugh or Johnson will force an opponents defensive coordinator to take them into account as part of his game planning.

Other than Heath none of the TEs we have are game chamgers. You add someone like a Jermaine Gresham on the field at the same time as Heath and you have created a mismatch problem that no team will be able to deal with, particularly in the Red Zone which we all acknowledge is a problem.

Think about over the next couple of years as Hines gets older. He is Ben's safety blanket and primary possession receiver. Get someone like Gresham who has TE size and a WR skill set a couple years experience to step into that role. That would not be a bad addition. And you are hearing this from a defense first philosophy fan.

I don't disagree about the potential impact that adding a player like Gresham could have on this offense, but it would be difficult to spend another 1st round pick on a TE after already spending so much on the TE position already (Heath's big extension last offseason) and with so many other holes to fill that are more immediate needs (secondary, D-line, O-line, LB'ers, etc.).

NJ-STEELER
01-11-2010, 04:36 PM
i wouldn't mind seeing someone brought in to replace spaeth, but not in the 1st round.

in that pack game yesterday, they have 2 TE's drafted in the 3rd (finley) and 5th (lee) that would look much better in our 2 TE set then spaeth does.

then you have 2 guys (boss and celek) then went in the 5th round in the same draft that spaeth did. again, i think we'd be better off with either one of those guys

there are impact 2nd TEs out there that can be taken later in the draft

Oviedo
01-11-2010, 04:42 PM
i wouldn't mind seeing someone brought in to replace spaeth, but not in the 1st round.

in that pack game yesterday, they have 2 TE's drafted in the 3rd (finley) and 5th (lee) that would look much better in our 2 TE set then spaeth does.

then you have 2 guys (boss and celek) then went in the 5th round in the same draft that spaeth did. again, i think we'd be better off with either one of those guys

there are impact 2nd TEs out there that can be taken later in the draft

Boss and Celek do better because their QB has made them primary targets. They don't have someone like Heath on their team. That is not on Spaeth. Put Celek and Boss on this team and they will be ignored too because Ben looks first and foremost for WRs and TEs as an afterthought.

NJ-STEELER
01-11-2010, 04:46 PM
i disagree

both players stepped up with injuries to starters shocke and LJ smith where their organizations chose to keep them over their more expensive counterparts.

boss and celek both look very athletic and run pretty well. spaeth looks like a pregnant yak running in the open field.
even in his game where he started , all his catches were the short gain variety

ikestops85
01-11-2010, 05:28 PM
i disagree

both players stepped up with injuries to starters shocke and LJ smith where their organizations chose to keep them over their more expensive counterparts.

boss and celek both look very athletic and run pretty well. spaeth looks like a pregnant yak running in the open field.

I think this is silly to even consider. We have an elite TE in Miller whom they finally started to use productively this year. Spaeth will work out just fine if you throw him the damn ball. Especially near the goal line. Spaeth had 3 TDs the first 4 games he played as a Steeler. Did he suddenly lose his ability or did we just stop looking for him? I think I know the answer to that question.

If you think Spaeth looks like a pregnant yak when he runs then how do you describe Antonio Gates? Spaeth is plenty fast and athletic for what we need him to do ... which is go down field a little ways, squat, and use his big body to shield defenders and catch the ball.

I don't know any team that has 2 elite TEs. Miller is our guy and between Spaeth, McHugh and Johnson we have adequate depth. Our problem is more that BA AND Ben haven't figured out the most effective ways to use the talent we have. Not that we need to ADD more talent to the TE position.

NJ-STEELER
01-11-2010, 05:34 PM
i'm not the one advocating drafting a TE high.

i agree that miller is near the top of 2 way TEs in the league and dont want to spend a high pick for a 2nd TE.
i'm just suggesting some good TEs could be drafted later on.

as far as spaeth, i'll disagree with your opinion. i haven't seen any evidence in his years here to suggest he runs well. he might run well for someone 6-7 270lbs. but he doesn't run as well as the other TEs i mentioned

phillyesq
01-11-2010, 09:43 PM
I think we're going to see a bit of a different running game next year. A true blocking TE may be drafted, but not until the 5th or 6th round.

Pappy

This makes the most sense. With Santonio, Hines, Wallace and Heath, the Steelers have plenty of receiving options. Spaeth is fine as a possession receiver, but doesn't offer much as a blocker.

I think that Johnson and McHugh are both better fits for the offense than Spaeth in that both are better blockers, but if a big, block first TE is available later in the draft, I could see the Steelers taking him late if he is BPA.

SidSmythe
01-11-2010, 09:49 PM
We finally utilized HEATH this year like we should. SPAETH is soft and needs to be pushed by a draft pick. Why not a big, nasty Run Blocker, we could use the help

fordfixer
01-11-2010, 10:03 PM
We finally utilized HEATH this year like we should. SPAETH is soft and needs to be pushed by a draft pick. Why not a big, nasty Run Blocker, we could use the help

You mean like a Fullback? :nono

Steelerphile
01-13-2010, 10:35 AM
Spaeth has a tendency to be bashed a lot and I never quite understand the reason. When you have Heath Miller in front of you, no TE is going to get a lot of opportunities to catch the ball. I think Spaeth has above average receiving skills. He just doesn't get a lot of passes thrown his direction because of the other playmakers in PGH's offense. I haven't seen enough of him to say he cannot run after catch. Some people bashed Heath Miller when he showed up for being slow. But I think he can wheel and deal with the ball in his hands. Spaeth would have to get more chances with the ball to see what his playmaking abilities really are.

As far as him being "soft". I also do not agree to this. I think a tall player might a few leverage issues but I do not think he is soft. I see him as being somewhat tenacious.

The Steelers do not need to draft a TE at all. David Johnson is there and he can be your blocking TE, also.

steelblood
01-13-2010, 10:49 AM
If you think Spaeth looks like a pregnant yak when he runs then how do you describe Antonio Gates? Spaeth is plenty fast and athletic for what we need him to do ... which is go down field a little ways, squat, and use his big body to shield defenders and catch the ball.

Spaeth is NOT fast and doesn't move well in space. He is clumsy and awkward. Gates is light on his feet and still has decent quickness.

BradshawsHairdresser
01-13-2010, 12:42 PM
We are in glaring need of help at:
CB, FS, ILB, OL, DL, and ST positions

The way the Steelers use the second TE, we can fill the spot with Johnson or with a cheap FA (maybe even off the waiver wire). No way this team ought to be spending draft picks on any TEs this season.

Oviedo
01-13-2010, 12:48 PM

The way the Steelers use the second TE, we can fill the spot with Johnson or with a cheap FA (maybe even off the waiver wire). No way this team ought to be spending draft picks on any TEs this season.

What are the glowing needs on OL. Starks and Kemo are signed long term. They likely want to keep Collon and they have Urbik, Foster, Essex and Stapleton to battle for RG. Would be nice to grab a Center, but Hartwig is signed for at least one more year and Stapleton has been tapped as the follow on.

SteelAbility
01-13-2010, 01:13 PM
I wouldn't touch a TE until the 5th or 6th round.

Mister Pittsburgh
01-13-2010, 01:18 PM
i disagree

This is a retarded comment. Nothing Spaeth has done will back up what you say here at all. Go check out Spaeths numbers in 2008 when Heath went down and Spaeth started for 2 games.

Spaeth would be a great redzone target. It is up to Arians to develop some 2 TE pass plays where both go out and for Ben to throw him the ball. Spaeth is under utilized bigtime.

RuthlessBurgher
01-13-2010, 01:29 PM

What are the glowing needs on OL. Starks and Kemo are signed long term. They likely want to keep Collon and they have Urbik, Foster, Essex and Stapleton to battle for RG. Would be nice to grab a Center, but Hartwig is signed for at least one more year and Stapleton has been tapped as the follow on.

We have a lot of capable bodies along the o-line, but no one great (we've typically had at least one great o-lineman...Webster then Dawson then Faneca, etc. but that well has been dry for the past several seasons).

In Super Bowl XL, our starting OL was Smith (rd 2), Faneca (rd 1), Hartings (rd 1), Simmons (rd 1), and Starks (rd 3). All of the first and second round o-lineman are now gone. Picking the middle of each round instead of at the back end of each round is a good a time to re-stock the cupboard with a premium o-line pick, in an effort to get maximum benefit out of the elite weapons that we have collected at the skill positions on offense.

I wouldn't mind using an early pick on an o-lineman to increase our overall talent there (such as tackles Bryan Bulaga or Trent Williams in round one or a guard like Mike Iuputi, a center like Maurkice Pouncey, or a tackle like Ciron Black in round two).

Mister Pittsburgh
01-13-2010, 01:49 PM
http://www.draftcountdown.com/ScoutingR ... Graham.php (http://www.draftcountdown.com/ScoutingReports/TE/Jimmy-Graham.php)

If we did go TE this dude wouldn't be a bad draftee. If we want a TE strictly to block, bring in a 3rd OT and get a FB. Who the hell drafts TE's to strictly block? One could easily be had as an UDFA.

NorthCoast
01-13-2010, 09:16 PM
No.

The Steelers have all the pieces on offense already, if you listen to Ben, Tomlin, and Arians. The offensive position I would be willing to address early is a blocking fullback if there was a good one available.

Time to address defensive needs in this draft.

BradshawsHairdresser
01-14-2010, 12:46 PM

What are the glowing needs on OL.

Center and RG positions come immediately to mind. Depth is suspect at the tackle positions--who do we really have to step in if Starks or Colon goes down? OL has been consistently ignored as a priority for years; the Steelers need to get some players who are more than just average, IMO.

With the holes to fill on defense, we may not be able to get more than one good OL player in the draft. In any event, it seems to me that drafting a TE this year would be a big mistake when there are so many other bigger needs on this team.

Mister Pittsburgh
01-14-2010, 01:37 PM

Center and RG positions come immediately to mind. Depth is suspect at the tackle positions--who do we really have to step in if Starks or Colon goes down? OL has been consistently ignored as a priority for years; the Steelers need to get some players who are more than just average, IMO.

With the holes to fill on defense, we may not be able to get more than one good OL player in the draft. In any event, it seems to me that drafting a TE this year would be a big mistake when there are so many other bigger needs on this team.

I agree we definately need a dominant center again.

As far as RG, I am hoping that Doug Legursky can step in and be utilized as a pulling guard. The guy is a beast and fast as hell for his size.....runs a 4.8 40yds.

I think the backup tackle for both sides is Ramon Foster.

RuthlessBurgher
01-14-2010, 01:53 PM

I agree we definately need a dominant center again.

As far as RG, I am hoping that Doug Legursky can step in and be utilized as a pulling guard. The guy is a beast and fast as hell for his size.....runs a 4.8 40yds.

I think the backup tackle for both sides is Ramon Foster.

Essex would also be a backup tackle when he is no longer a starting guard.

Oviedo
01-14-2010, 01:56 PM

You have Essex, Stapleton, Foster, Urbik and Legursky already on the roster who can challenge for the RG position. Not sure a rookie steps in and challenges that group.

Center is a need but we have no insights on plans for Stapleton, Legursky or even as rumors have indicated Urbik at that positon. I would like to see us look at a Center, but not early.

NJ-STEELER
01-16-2010, 01:53 AM
[quote="NJ-STEELER":exgva47d]i disagree

This is a retarded comment. Nothing Spaeth has done will back up what you say here at all. Go check out Spaeths numbers in 2008 when Heath went down and Spaeth started for 2 games.

Spaeth would be a great redzone target. It is up to Arians to develop some 2 TE pass plays where both go out and for Ben to throw him the ball. Spaeth is under utilized bigtime.[/quote:exgva47d]

i dont have to "check out the stats". i remember the game(s)

maybe you should post them, since it seems you're at the top of his fan club.

the colts game was one he started and that was the game after ben and the offense went to arians and asked for shorter developing routes.

he hit spaeth 6 or 7 times barely 5 yards from the line of scrimmage with quick hitting passes.

i dont know how that makes him a great route runner as you profess.
he's big slower type TE that gets overpowered a lot in the run game.

what do you see thru you're Spaeth goggles

Steelerphile
01-16-2010, 05:05 PM
[quote="Mister Pittsburgh":pywelocd][quote="NJ-STEELER":pywelocd]i disagree

Spaeth would be a great redzone target. It is up to Arians to develop some 2 TE pass plays where both go out and for Ben to throw him the ball. Spaeth is under utilized bigtime.[/quote:pywelocd]

i dont have to "check out the stats". i remember the game(s)

maybe you should post them, since it seems you're at the top of his fan club.

the colts game was one he started and that was the game after ben and the offense went to arians and asked for shorter developing routes.

he hit spaeth 6 or 7 times barely 5 yards from the line of scrimmage with quick hitting passes.

i dont know how that makes him a great route runner as you profess.
he's big slower type TE that gets overpowered a lot in the run game.

what do you see thru you're Spaeth goggles[/quote:pywelocd]

You're looking through anti-Spaeth goggles. He doesn't get overpowered a lot. That is false. You just want that to be true. It's not. He is a pretty good blocker. He has I think about 15 career receptions in the NFL. So you know, for a fact, from this limited sample, that he has limited offensive ability.

He did a lot from the reception standpoint in college. He just hasn't gotten a lot of chances to show what he can do in the NFL. He doesn't appear to be a great athlete, I don't see that. But you are exaggerating as far as how poor he is. I really think there is more that he can do, but just needs an opening. But there is just no way, another 2ndary TE in this offense would do much, if any more.