PDA

View Full Version : FS Earl Thomas declaring for draft

BigRob
01-09-2010, 12:22 AM
I have to admit he would be very enticing should he be available at #18. I thought he had a pretty good game last night. I hear he is supposed to be a good ball hawking safety.

http://www.statesman.com/blogs/content/ ... index.html (http://www.statesman.com/blogs/content/shared-gen/blogs/austin/longhorns/index.html)

SteelCzar76
01-09-2010, 12:43 AM
I have to admit he would be very enticing should he be available at #18. I thought he had a pretty good game last night. I hear he is supposed to be a good ball hawking safety.

http://www.statesman.com/blogs/content/ ... index.html (http://www.statesman.com/blogs/content/shared-gen/blogs/austin/longhorns/index.html)

If he performs well at the combine,...he (along with Berry and Haden) will be long gone by the time we get on the board at 18.

Oviedo
01-09-2010, 08:37 AM

If he performs well at the combine,...he (along with Berry and Haden) will be long gone by the time we get on the board at 18.

Not necessarily true. Safeties tend to get picked later that CBs. Berry is the top Safety so he will go in the top 10. IMO there is a real possibility that Thomas will be available at #18. Question is whether a safety is enough of a impact player to take at #18 because this draft is very, very deep at the Safety position. The CBs in this draft are more likely to be rated as Round 2-3 players expect for Haden (overated IMO) and Robinson from FSU who is a late Round 1 pick.

Much like the OL the last two years, fans want to knee jerk and pick DB because the secondaray was bad this year. History shows the Steelers won't draft that way and will take a more comprehensive, long term look at what they feel they need.

Since it is highly unlikely that Parker returns it would not shock me if they looked at a RB like CJ Spiller who can run, catch and return. Percy Harvin had a huge impact for the Vikings and they are very similar players and I think Spiller is more durable. The reality is in the NFL today you need at least 3 very good RBs. We have a very good Mendy, a capable Moore but nothing beyond that. Spiller would also mean you don't use a roster spot for Logan.

I like Thomas, but my bet right now is we take DL or LB with the wildcard being RB.

papillon
01-09-2010, 09:13 AM
Even if the Steelers wouldn't draft him or he would be gone by 1.18 it potentially pushes another player down and that player may be one that the Steelers really like. It's never a bad thing when players enter the draft and are slotted to be selected before your team selects. It makes available a player that may not have been prior to the new player's entry into the draft.

Pappy

grotonsteel
01-09-2010, 11:27 AM
Thats great news.

Lets see how he performs at the combine.

Earl Thomas could very well be the BPA at #18. I hope Steelers target Earl Thomas or Ro McClain.

Scouting Report:
http://www.draftboardinsider.com/cgi-bi ... gi?id=1089 (http://www.draftboardinsider.com/cgi-bin/prospect.cgi?id=1089)

Scouting Report: Thomas has a solid build, lean with a small waist and long limbs. He plays a FS at Texas but is asked to do a little of everything. And trust me, he does it all. Only a redshirt sophomore but his coverage skills are very good. He has great anticipation and does an excellent job of reading and diagnosing the making the big play on the ball. He's one of the most physical safetys in the draft, and has no qualms about sacrificing his body for a play. Some think that he's better suited to play a very physical CB in the NFL, to maximize his coverage skills, and try and keep his body in tact. The only real negatives to Thomas' game are the fact that he plays more physical than his frame will hold and it could shorten his NFL career and that he does at times play a little out of control and forgets his assignments.

Draft Status: Thomas is only a redshirt sophomore, but if the Longhorns win a national title, there's a real chance he makes the jump to the NFL. If he did, he'd be no worse than the 2nd safety off the board and probably the 3rd defensive back which means he's probably a top 15 pick. For a player so young, but so talented all that can happen at this point is to have his game get picked apart and hurt his stock. He's not going to get any bigger or any faster or any stronger, and his skills set is what it is.

Final Analysis: Love, love love what Thomas brings to the table. He reminds me a ton of Joe Haden only playing safety. He's got good size for CB, a little undersized for a safety as physical as he is. But he's got great strength both in coverage and in run support, he runs very well, is a great leaper, and has soft hands. He can blitz when asked to, and literally anchors the back 4 of the Longhorn defense. No matter what happens for the Longhorns this year, Thomas would be foolish to return to school when his stock really can't get much higher.

Reminds me of: Troy Polamalu, S Pittsburgh Steelers-Both a little undersized, super aggressive, and able to do anything on the football field. Thomas can certainly grow into the kind of impact player Polamalu is, given the right scheme and coaching. All the physical tools are there.

Chadman
01-09-2010, 11:54 AM
If Thomas is there at #18, he'll have to be considered...

NorthCoast
01-09-2010, 12:27 PM
One thing to consider; beyond QB the Browns are looking to draft the same pieces we are missing and they will be picking more than 10 spots in front of us. They need help at CB, safety, LB, and DL. Just sayin, their list will look a lot like ours.

SteelCzar76
01-09-2010, 12:46 PM

Not necessarily true. Safeties tend to get picked later that CBs. Berry is the top Safety so he will go in the top 10. IMO there is a real possibility that Thomas will be available at #18. Question is whether a safety is enough of a impact player to take at #18 because this draft is very, very deep at the Safety position. The CBs in this draft are more likely to be rated as Round 2-3 players expect for Haden (overated IMO) and Robinson from FSU who is a late Round 1 pick.

Much like the OL the last two years, fans want to knee jerk and pick DB because the secondaray was bad this year. History shows the Steelers won't draft that way and will take a more comprehensive, long term look at what they feel they need.

Since it is highly unlikely that Parker returns it would not shock me if they looked at a RB like CJ Spiller who can run, catch and return. Percy Harvin had a huge impact for the Vikings and they are very similar players and I think Spiller is more durable. The reality is in the NFL today you need at least 3 very good RBs. We have a very good Mendy, a capable Moore but nothing beyond that. Spiller would also mean you don't use a roster spot for Logan.

I like Thomas, but my bet right now is we take DL or LB with the wildcard being RB.

I gotta say O that i believe that due to the nature of the league now, (considerably pass happy) elite DB's have become a highly coveted commodity. Safeties are included IMO,.. when one takes into consideration the game changing impact that a special player can make at the position. (ie Troy, Ed Reed, Sharper, Woodson )

Henceforth,...i believe there will be a run on the better DB's this year both Safeties and Corners alike. And even though Taylor is my dude, (fight on) i have to say that in all honesty Thomas has more impressive ball skills and in my opinion is rated #2 behind Berry. And therefore will be gone before we get on the board.

As far as help in the secondary being considered a "knee jerk" reaction,.....are you saying that you consider this roster to be especially solid in the secondary with the likes of Corners like Gay, and your boy Burnett (whom was projected as a starting Corner at league level by almost no scout in the nation) and fringe players like Lewis and Mundy ?! Really ?,......

But i digress,...because in all fairness you are probably right about the fact that we may indeed reach for some vastly overrated and not overly productive 4-3 D lineman, Linebacker or,.... another "scatback" RB. Especially in light of what Tomlin considers quality personnel and how our last three Drafts have gone.,,,,,,

SteelCzar76
01-09-2010, 12:50 PM
One thing to consider; beyond QB the Browns are looking to draft the same pieces we are missing and they will be picking more than 10 spots in front of us. They need help at CB, safety, LB, and DL. Just sayin, their list will look a lot like ours.

I think the Browns take Mclain with Berry off of the board,....

NJ-STEELER
01-10-2010, 11:39 PM

thats like the 20th player i've seen someone say wont be there when the steelers pick at #18

WTF?

Jom112
01-12-2010, 04:33 PM
The only real negatives to Thomas' game are the fact that he plays more physical than his frame will hold and it could shorten his NFL career and that he does at times play a little out of control and forgets his assignments.

I do wonder what his real size is. He's listed at 197 but he definitely looks smaller on the field. Not sure if he's made for the AFCN.

I love his speed and willingness to stop the run. I just see him being injured a lot trying to stop the running games of AFCN...

steelblood
01-12-2010, 05:07 PM
The only real negatives to Thomas' game are the fact that he plays more physical than his frame will hold and it could shorten his NFL career and that he does at times play a little out of control and forgets his assignments.

I do wonder what his real size is. He's listed at 197 but he definitely looks smaller on the field. Not sure if he's made for the AFCN.

I love his speed and willingness to stop the run. I just see him being injured a lot trying to stop the running games of AFCN...

Yeah, Troy often plays at less than 200 lbs. and that hasn't worked out well for him.

Bengals get the 21st pick. Seems like there will be nice talent available there as well. WR? TE? S? DL? You don't seem to have too many FAs nor needs this time.

RuthlessBurgher
01-12-2010, 05:11 PM

Yeah, Troy often plays at less than 200 lbs. and that hasn't worked out well for him.

Bengals get the 21st pick. Seems like there will be nice talent available there as well. WR? TE? S? DL? You don't seem to have too many FAs nor needs this time.

I bet Palmer will be pushing for Dez Bryant or Jermaine Gresham.

Jom112
01-12-2010, 05:17 PM

Our biggest needs are the toughest to fill. A big play WR, a good all around TE and someone that can rush the passer. Not sure how to fill of those holes with one draft.

If Jermaine Gresham is fully recovered and available at 21, he should be our pick.

Safety is not really a need in my eyes. We have Crocker and Ndukwe and from what I hear we're trying to sign Roy Williams again. Having Zimmer back makes that easier...

That's what I'm thinking as well. Although leave it to Mike Brown to sign someone like T.O. in the offseason... :lol:

RuthlessBurgher
01-12-2010, 05:22 PM

Our biggest needs are the toughest to fill. A big play WR, a good all around TE and someone that can rush the passer. Not sure how to fill of those holes with one draft.

If Jermaine Gresham is fully recovered and available at 21, he should be our pick.

Safety is not really a need in my eyes. We have Crocker and Ndukwe and from what I hear we're trying to sign Roy Williams again. Having Zimmer back makes that easier...

That's what I'm thinking as well. Although leave it to Mike Brown to sign someone like T.O. in the offseason... :lol:

...and trade for Michael Vick while he's at it. :wink:

phillyesq
01-12-2010, 05:28 PM

I don't want the Steelers to take a DB just for the sake of taking a DB. But if Thomas is as good as many seem to think that he is, a real coverage FS would be a great addition to the team.

In this draft, I think the Steelers first round pick should be the BPA at any of the following positions: NT, ILB, CB, FS, OL.

Somebody like CJ Spiller should be nice, but how are you going to get him touches? The offense already has 5 strong weapons, and distributing the ball to a 6th will be difficult. I understand that you need many backs to succeed in the NFL, but RB, especially a quicker, change of pace type pack, can be found later. Guys like Leon Washington, Tashard Choice, Bradshaw, etc. were all later picks. If Willie leaves, I have no problem with the Steelers adding a RB in the draft, but I think that doing so in the first round makes no sense at all.

Jom112
01-12-2010, 05:38 PM
Somebody like CJ Spiller should be nice, but how are you going to get him touches? The offense already has 5 strong weapons, and distributing the ball to a 6th will be difficult. I understand that you need many backs to succeed in the NFL, but RB, especially a quicker, change of pace type pack, can be found later. Guys like Leon Washington, Tashard Choice, Bradshaw, etc. were all later picks. If Willie leaves, I have no problem with the Steelers adding a RB in the draft, but I think that doing so in the first round makes no sense at all.

I see what you're saying about finding a change of pace back later in the draft but I think CJ Spiller would be a good pick for any team in the league. Similar to how I liked Percy Harvin last year. I don't care what the needs are, players like Harvin and Spiller just know how to make an impact on the field.

They change field position and make things easier for everyone else on the team...

Shawn
01-12-2010, 05:40 PM
Earl Thomas will certainly be on our board. But, all the discussion in the world will be moot if Mt Cody is still there. He is the clear pick if available.

phillyesq
01-12-2010, 06:25 PM
Earl Thomas will certainly be on our board. But, all the discussion in the world will be moot if Mt Cody is still there. He is the clear pick if available.

It's still early in the process, but some of what I've been reading has been saying that Cody will likely be a second round pick because of his conditioning issues.

Chadman
01-12-2010, 06:54 PM
Spiller will likely be one of those "If he's there, all bets are off" type guys.

He's simply too explosive to remove from the draft board, and it's not unheard of to have 2 first round RB's on the roster getting plenty of touches (Panthers for example).

Imagine how dangerous the Steelers would be with Mendenhall, Spiller, Ben, Ward, Holmes, Wallace & Miller on offense!

Chadman
01-12-2010, 06:55 PM
Oh- forgot...add in his KR/PR ability, and the possibility of moving him out to WR on occasion...he'd get his touches...

phillyesq
01-12-2010, 07:48 PM
Oh- forgot...add in his KR/PR ability, and the possibility of moving him out to WR on occasion...he'd get his touches...

He'd get his touches, but at whose expense? Do you want to take away touches from Mendy? Holmes, Ward or Wallace? Miller?

Spiller would be a nice luxury pick, but the Steelers have so many other needs, I'm not sure they can afford a luxury like that.

Chadman
01-12-2010, 07:55 PM

He'd get his touches, but at whose expense? Do you want to take away touches from Mendy? Holmes, Ward or Wallace? Miller?

Spiller would be a nice luxury pick, but the Steelers have so many other needs, I'm not sure they can afford a luxury like that.

Why not just go with the hot hand at the time? You can't have TOO MANY options....it'd HAVE to work in the Steelers favour.

Agreed, the Steelers have several needs, but realistically, how many 1st round options have the ability to have an IMMEDIATE IMPACT the way Spiller does for 2011?

Re-signing Hampton goes a long way to fixing the Steelers 'Needs' list.

NJ-STEELER
01-12-2010, 08:21 PM
why not grab a joe mcknight, stephan johnson, noel divine, dex mccluster later on and focus on one of the teams weaknesses with the top picks

Chadman
01-12-2010, 08:29 PM
why not grab a joe mcknight, stephan johnson, noel divine, dex mccluster later on and focus on one of the teams weaknesses with the top picks

Ahh...the eternal question- to draft for need, or BPA?

Shawn
01-12-2010, 08:31 PM

It's still early in the process, but some of what I've been reading has been saying that Cody will likely be a second round pick because of his conditioning issues.

There is no way he falls to the second. To be perfectly honest...I don't think he will fall to the Steelers. If conditioning is really that big of an issue for Cody which I doubt...that's what a pro conditioning coach is for. There is no better replacement for for Hampton in the draft. The man is a beast...a rare physical specimen and he will consistantly command double teams at the pro level.

But, I'm with you...I'm not for picking a DB just for picking a DB. I would much rather beef up our Dline.

In my opinion...BPA in this order of importance...

1) NT
2) DB
3) DE
4) ILB
5) FS

those 5 are very close in our need...we will take BPA of those 5.

Was it O that spoke about RB? I got to agree that it's a real possibility. If the right guy falls...and the value is there...we have a need. This is a two back league and Parker is as good as gone. I like Moore but I prefer a 1a and a 1b instead of a 1a and a solid 3rd down back.