PDA

View Full Version : Does Defense Win Championships?

feltdizz
01-08-2010, 11:52 PM
Just wondering if it's possible to win a championship with a bad Defense. I mean....

Tampa and Baltimore won SB's... every other year Peyton gets bounced after MVP seasons.. we watched NE* go 18-0 and fall... I won't defend the 2008 offense because it was not good... but we still won a SB.

just sayin?

D Rock
01-09-2010, 12:17 AM
Just wondering if it's possible to win a championship with a bad Defense. I mean....

Tampa and Baltimore won SB's... every other year Peyton gets bounced after MVP seasons.. we watched NE* go 18-0 and fall... I won't defend the 2008 offense because it was not good... but we still won a SB.

just sayin?

Only the defense and special teams have the ability to both stop the other team from scoring and also score themselves on a regular basis.

Defense and special teams win championships.

winwithd
01-09-2010, 12:38 AM
And last year we won with Mitch Berger as our punter. Good thing our defense was that good.

I thought the "hurry-up", "no-huddle", or "2-minute" offense was pretty good. They made 'splash plays' when they needed to, but the consistency was not there.

grotonsteel
01-09-2010, 11:34 AM

just sayin?

Defense win championships...Peyton Manning won his only SB because his Defense played well that season.

Check 2000 Ravens. They won with Trent Dilfer as QB.

NorthCoast
01-09-2010, 12:34 PM
Our defense last season was one for the ages. We were not in the SB without that defense. Indy was a textbook example of a team that lacked the key piece. Once they fixed it, Peyton got his ring.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
01-09-2010, 02:02 PM
Does defense win championships?

Ask the Jets at 4:30 today!

feltdizz
01-09-2010, 02:51 PM

The Jets are the first team I thought of when I asked this. Sanchez has been horrible.

frankthetank1
01-09-2010, 05:27 PM

The Jets are the first team I thought of when I asked this. Sanchez has been horrible.

you cant win a sb with poor qb play though. ben was terrible in the 05 sb but lights out the 3 games before it. the worst qb to win a sb besides doug williams has to be dilfer but even dilfer was serviceable. if the jets can run the ball well which they usually do all sanchez has to do is not turn the ball over, but he will throw plenty of picks im sure. sanchez isnt half as good as ben was as a rookie

RuthlessBurgher
01-09-2010, 05:38 PM

you cant win a sb with poor qb play though. ben was terrible in the 05 sb but lights out the 3 games before it. the worst qb to win a sb besides doug williams has to be dilfer but even dilfer was serviceable. if the jets can run the ball well which they usually do all sanchez has to do is not turn the ball over, but he will throw plenty of picks im sure. sanchez isnt half as good as ben was as a rookie

Brad Johnson wasn't great when Tampa beat Oakland earlier in this decade (that was a big time defensive win as well).

Doug Williams was not a weak Super Bowl winning QB, by the way. Dude was MVP of that game after throwing 4 TD passes IN THE SECOND QUARTER of that rout vs. the Broncos. He was a first round pick in 1978 who played all the way until 1989.

The weakest of the Redskin QB's to win a Super Bowl in the Gibbs era was Mark Rypien (even though he was also MVP in his Super Bowl win with 292 yards and 2 touchdowns, he had mostly a journeyman career other than that).

frankthetank1
01-09-2010, 05:45 PM

Brad Johnson wasn't great when Tampa beat Oakland earlier in this decade (that was a big time defensive win as well).

Doug Williams was not a weak Super Bowl winning QB, by the way. Dude was MVP of that game after throwing 4 TD passes IN THE SECOND QUARTER of that rout vs. the Broncos. He was a first round pick in 1978 who played all the way until 1989.

The weakest of the Redskin QB's to win a Super Bowl in the Gibbs era was Mark Rypien (even though he was also MVP in his Super Bowl win with 292 yards and 2 touchdowns, he had mostly a journeyman career other than that).

i meant overall as a qb williams stunk. that was his only good game but yeah your right he was on fire in that game. if only neil o'donnell could be known as one of the worst qb's to win a sb. kind of strange him and timmy smith had amazing games in the sb and then crap after that. i forgot about johnson he was a very average qb. that tampa defense was lights out. i forget who was the db coach for tampa then? it was probably some overpaid janitor :lol:

feltdizz
01-09-2010, 05:52 PM

I think you can Frank.. we have seen a few below average QB's win SB's lately..
As bad as Sanchez is.. if the Jets force FG's and get TO's they only need a few plays from Sanchez. Now if the Jets D doesn't hold up they have no shot at all..

Doug Williams was not a bad QB either.. :Hater

Shoe
01-09-2010, 06:48 PM
Our defense last season was one for the ages. We were not in the SB without that defense. Indy was a textbook example of a team that lacked the key piece. Once they fixed it, Peyton got his ring.

But that Colt defense was in no way "great". They may have gotten hot in the playoffs, but they weren't great. Correct me if I'm wrong, but *I think* they surrendered like 300 yards rushing to the Jagoffs real late in the season.

I think I remember that year, because I was actually gonna put a SB futures bet on the Colts until I saw that game. I laid off... to my dismay. :evil:

grotonsteel
01-09-2010, 08:47 PM
Normally Colts tank games late in season....i don't remember if Colts had anything to play for in that Jag-Offs game...

NorthCoast
01-10-2010, 05:12 PM
I think, after this weekend's games, you have your answer.

feltdizz
01-10-2010, 06:21 PM
I think, after this weekend's games, you have your answer.
You cannot outscore a bad D... the best you can do is onside kick. LOL

Chadman
01-10-2010, 06:37 PM
Everyone forgetting 'the greatest show on turf'? Hardly a great defense.

Realistically, you need at LEAST a decent defense to win. A good defense makes it easier.

How many teams win SB's with obvious weaknesses though?

feltdizz
01-10-2010, 07:20 PM

Realistically, you need at LEAST a decent defense to win. A good defense makes it easier.

That D wasn't bad.. It was overshadowed by the offense. But that team was also one for the ages and yet the Titans kept it close. They faded kind of quick after teams adjusted.

Chadman
01-10-2010, 07:36 PM

That D wasn't bad.. It was overshadowed by the offense. But that team was also one for the ages and yet the Titans kept it close. They faded kind of quick after teams adjusted.

Can't that be said for any team though? All teams adjust to other teams schemes over time- so all teams become vulnerable.

The point was though- the Rams D DID NOT win the SB, did it?

Or the Pats...Colts...Packers...even the Broncos D.

You can't win with a POOR D, but you can win with a dominant O & passable D.

feltdizz
01-10-2010, 07:53 PM

Can't that be said for any team though? All teams adjust to other teams schemes over time- so all teams become vulnerable.

I don't know what teams you remember... I remember Bill Romanowski and 3 INT's to beat us...
I remember Pats shutting down Bettis, Vrabel shooting every gap perfectly, Ty Law taking an INT to the house in the SB and Harrison being dirty as hell. I also remember Reggie White sacking a lot of people for GB.

I don't mean winning every SB like Tampa I was just showing how
really subpar QB play won SB's but pretty much most had good D.

Chadman
01-10-2010, 07:55 PM

I don't know what teams you remember... I remember Bill Romanowski and 3 INT's to beat us...
I remember Pats shutting down Bettis, Vrabel shooting every gap perfectly, Ty Law taking an INT to the house in the SB and Harrison being dirty as hell. I also remember Reggie White sacking a lot of people for GB.

Won't argue that- GREAT D's can carry a team. But sometimes a dominant O is just as good.. :D

feltdizz
01-10-2010, 08:04 PM

Won't argue that- GREAT D's can carry a team. But sometimes a dominant O is just as good.. :D
If our D had Troy... or just made one freaking play in 2 or 3 of those 6 4th quarter losses we are rolling right now. Our 4th qtr meltdowns were truly impressive. Look back to the GB and Ravens games we won.. the D tried really hard to lose those too! :stirpot