PDA

View Full Version : ANOTHER reason the offense needs improvement:

SteelTorch
01-08-2010, 07:20 PM
Included in the link are the rankings for offensive efficiency (or scoreability). Or, in a nutshell, the amount of yards per point.

http://www.coldhardfootballfacts.com/Articles/2_986_Scoreability_Index.html

Now, of the top ten teams in efficiency, guess how many are in the playoffs? That's right. Eight. Eight. New York and New England, also in the playoffs, are ranked 11th and 12th respectively. Pittsburgh is ranked 18th.

Eye-opening to anyone? :)

Mister Pittsburgh
01-08-2010, 08:29 PM
Included in the link are the rankings for offensive efficiency (or scoreability). Or, in a nutshell, the amount of yards per point.

http://www.coldhardfootballfacts.com/Articles/2_986_Scoreability_Index.html

Now, of the top ten teams in efficiency, guess how many are in the playoffs? That's right. Eight. Eight. New York and New England, also in the playoffs, are ranked 11th and 12th respectively. Pittsburgh is ranked 18th.

Eye-opening to anyone? :)

But the defense, missing two pro bowlers, didn't hold teams to two TD's like last year. It is all their fault! :nono

I mean how could we expect our offense to muster 14 points against the dreaded Browns defense or 21 against Cincy! How could we expect our OC to figure out any sort of gameplan in the redzone other than ONLY running when we have all OL and TE other than one WR or ONLY passing when we empty out the backfield? Teams shouldn't be able to figure that out!

BURGH86STEEL
01-08-2010, 09:20 PM
The offense, defense, and special teams all need improvement. The offense showed signs of improvement this season. They can do some things better. The defense and special teams coverage took steps in the wrong direction. I believe those areas regression were the biggest reasons why the team did not make the playoffs. After all, the offense was worse in 08. Kinda ashame that most people don't extend the same courtesy's to BA. In 08, the offensive line missed a couple of pro bowl players on the Oline and loss both starting RB's much of the season. The offense did a good job in the 2007 season. I think they are headed in the right direction.

Guys, it really takes a complete team effort to win in the NFL. All this blame that goes around is really silly.

SteelTorch
01-09-2010, 06:45 PM
*bump*

The point is, people need to get out of the mindset that yards = a great offense and more wins. They don't. While the offense definitely showed improvement from last year, the stats clearly show they still underperformed.

DukieBoy
01-09-2010, 08:59 PM
*bump*

The point is, people need to get out of the mindset that yards = a great offense and more wins. They don't. While the offense definitely showed improvement from last year, the stats clearly show they still underperformed.

The stats that count for the offense are VICTORIES and SCORING, in that order. Other offensive stats are distractions.

SteelTorch
01-09-2010, 09:17 PM
*bump*

The stats that count for the offense are VICTORIES and SCORING, in that order. Other offensive stats are distractions.
Exactly, which is why a stat like efficiency matters. The less efficient you are, the less you score, and the less of a chance you have at winning. Simple as that.

Like it or not, some stats do matter. They aren't everything to be sure, but they do matter. And when 8 out of the top 10 efficient teams are in the playoffs, I find that a hard stat to ignore.

feltdizz
01-09-2010, 09:52 PM
*bump*

I hear you... but who performed up to par this season? If the offense improved and last year we won a SB... Just sayin? I know our O was bad last year... and our D was amazing...

But I don't think anyone would reject these stats. If we have these stats next year I doubt we miss the playoffs.

papillon
01-09-2010, 11:13 PM
The offense improved and the defense regressed. Mendenhall emerged, Wallace emerged and Holmes lit it up. Now you fine tune the offense for better production on 3rd and short and in the red zone. There is going to be fundamental change in the way the Steelers run the football next year. Arians was retained, but he's on borrowed time if they aren't successful on 3rd and 4th and short and in the red zone.

He deserves the chance to take the offense to the next level. He'll get it, but he has to be successful.

Pappy