PDA

View Full Version : So Who....

Jooser
01-08-2010, 07:47 AM
is going to replace Ken Anderson, now that he retired? I haven't read much speculation on the matter. Will we even replace him? or does it even matter? I'm not sure what I think yet, any ideas?

Oviedo
01-08-2010, 08:56 AM
I'd consider Charlie Batch. He has essentially been a coach the entire time here anyway. He isn't going to change Ben but do you really think anyone they bring in would change Ben from being Ben?

The biggest job the QB has is to try to make Ben aware of things he does that can be done better and most importantly developing the other QBs on the roster to be ready if Ben is hurt.

Mister Pittsburgh
01-08-2010, 10:26 AM
Since Ben is in charge of who his offensive coordinator is, he will probably start taking applications and sit down and make a decision on who his QB coach is after the Superbowl.

feltdizz
01-08-2010, 10:43 AM
Ben can hire himself and save us some money. I'm pretty sure he isn't listening to whoever comes in.

Oviedo
01-08-2010, 11:10 AM
Since Ben is in charge of who his offensive coordinator is, he will probably start taking applications and sit down and make a decision on who his QB coach is after the Superbowl.

Probably just like Peyton Manning and Tom Brady. Amazes me how anyone thinks Ben gets treated differently than any of the other elite QBs in this league.

phillyesq
01-08-2010, 11:22 AM
I'd consider Charlie Batch. He has essentially been a coach the entire time here anyway. He isn't going to change Ben but do you really think anyone they bring in would change Ben from being Ben?

The biggest job the QB has is to try to make Ben aware of things he does that can be done better and most importantly developing the other QBs on the roster to be ready if Ben is hurt.

I wonder if it would be tough for Batch to go from teammate to coach immediately with the same group. I like the idea of Batch as an assistant QB coach for a few years, with somebody more experienced being hired as the QB coach.

steelblood
01-08-2010, 11:32 AM

I wonder if it would be tough for Batch to go from teammate to coach immediately with the same group. I like the idea of Batch as an assistant QB coach for a few years, with somebody more experienced being hired as the QB coach.

I don't like the idea of Batch being QB coach because I think we need someone who will challenge Ben to improve his deep ball, study habits, and rhythm passing. However, Ben does trust Batch. So Ben would likely listen to him. A new guy? Who knows.?

Mister Pittsburgh
01-08-2010, 11:42 AM

Probably just like Peyton Manning and Tom Brady. Amazes me how anyone thinks Ben gets treated differently than any of the other elite QBs in this league.

Would Indy or the Patriots of hung 6 on the Browns? No way in hell.

Jooser
01-08-2010, 01:01 PM
My guess is that B&B (Ben & Bruce) will sit down and pick someone out that will listen to them and do as told. Just my opinion....

Mister Pittsburgh
01-08-2010, 01:09 PM
Maybe Whiz was right not to listen to Ben's BS....thus the reason they didn't get along real well and the reason Ben loves Arians so much. Bruce lets Ben do whatever he wants.

RuthlessBurgher
01-08-2010, 01:11 PM
Ryan Leaf was a pretty good QB coach at West Texas A&M before he started trying to score painkillers from his players. :stirpot :lol:

feltdizz
01-08-2010, 01:20 PM
Maybe Whiz was right not to listen to Ben's BS....thus the reason they didn't get along real well and the reason Ben loves Arians so much. Bruce lets Ben do whatever he wants.

I wonder if this is part of the reason Cowher left. People say we weren't going to pay Cowher what he was worth.. but we sure paid Ben a ton of money!!!

just sayin'

RuthlessBurgher
01-08-2010, 01:21 PM

I wonder if this is part of the reason Cowher left. People say we weren't going to pay Cowher what he was worth.. but we sure paid Ben a ton of money!!!

just sayin'

Ben won a Super Bowl without Cowher. How many Super Bowls did Cowher win without Ben?

:stirpot

Mister Pittsburgh
01-08-2010, 01:28 PM

just sayin'

Wonder if Ben is the reason Whiz took the Arizona job before even trying to land the Steelers gig. He knew he would be facing an uphill battle that he couldn't win.

Mister Pittsburgh
01-08-2010, 01:32 PM

just sayin'

Ben won a Super Bowl without Cowher. How many Super Bowls did Cowher win without Ben?

Ben played like Ryan Leaf in the first Superbowl and the had a once a decade defense backing him on way to the second. Our offense put up 13 points on a bad Arizona D before we went into the no huddle that is unstoppable for the final drive and Bruce Arians designed offense showed itself by failing in the redzone in that game as well.

Jooser
01-08-2010, 01:41 PM
Well, I think it's pretty darned obvious that we just need to score BEFORE we get into the red zone! :D

decleater
01-08-2010, 02:11 PM
QB coach is the least of our problems right now. Maybe we don't even need one any longer?

papillon
01-08-2010, 02:28 PM
It can't hurt to have a veteran that has been through the wars on the sideline for Ben to talk with during the game about what they are seeing or not seeing. His role would be to meet with Bruce Arians and understand what Arians wants to accomplish and how best to fit Ben's skills into that vision. To see the things from a different perspective than actually being in the game and relaying this information to Ben.

No quarterback coach is going to be able to change Ben and they shouldn't try. Ben is fine with getting hit and trying to make plays rather than to dump off or throw one away. I wish he would on occasion, but he isn't going to, so, I've accepted that. I like the results the Steelers get with Ben's style of play.

What I would like to see Arians do is design and call more plays that require Ben to simply drop back and unload the ball to Mendenhall as the design of the play, rather than to have Ben go through 4 reads and decide to do that on his own as the fifth read. This may eliminate some hits on Ben, get Mendenhall involved more in the offense and bring the safeties up for what Ben and Arians really like to do, look deep.

Pappy

Oviedo
01-08-2010, 02:56 PM
It can't hurt to have a veteran that has been through the wars on the sideline for Ben to talk with during the game about what they are seeing or not seeing. His role would be to meet with Bruce Arians and understand what Arians wants to accomplish and how best to fit Ben's skills into that vision. To see the things from a different perspective than actually being in the game and relaying this information to Ben.

No quarterback coach is going to be able to change Ben and they shouldn't try. Ben is fine with getting hit and trying to make plays rather than to dump off or throw one away. I wish he would on occasion, but he isn't going to, so, I've accepted that. I like the results the Steelers get with Ben's style of play.

What I would like to see Arians do is design and call more plays that require Ben to simply drop back and unload the ball to Mendenhall as the design of the play, rather than to have Ben go through 4 reads and decide to do that on his own as the fifth read. This may eliminate some hits on Ben, get Mendenhall involved more in the offense and bring the safeties up for what Ben and Arians really like to do, look deep.

Pappy

Agree on all counts. I think that ben would be more receptive to Batch than a new guy off the street. I remember when Ben had his accident, Batch was the first guy at the hospital. Hopefully Ben appreciates that and a degree of professional respect exists between them. I also like Batch because this would set him up to be OC in waiting. No one we would bring in would know the playbook better than him or what does work and doesn't work with the personnel we have.

As you correctly point out Ben isn't going to change. The way he plays is hardwired in his football DNA. That is why the QB coach needs to focus on developing the back ups and having them ready because Ben is one hit away from being on the sideline. That may be the only way Ben changes...missing extended time with an injury that makes him sit and think.

In my past life in the military Ben is like an Airborne Ranger. They all know they are in a dangerous business and people could die but they also all think it won't be them. Great attitude and you want them on your side in a fight but not too realistic but you don't want to take that out of them because that is what makes them special.

feltdizz
01-08-2010, 03:16 PM

Pappy

we saw Dixon do it in the Baltimore game...
Ben did it a few times after that game as well...

It's usually there.. and it's usually an automatic first down because Mend makes the first guy miss. There were a few times Ben found Mend in reads down the field too and the sideline pass was a TD if thrown better...

feltdizz
01-08-2010, 03:18 PM
QB coach is the least of our problems right now. Maybe we don't even need one any longer?

:Bow

cruzer8
01-08-2010, 03:22 PM
This thread is hilarious.

Boy some of you get your undies in a bundle just because the Steelers didn't make the playoffs.

frankthetank1
01-08-2010, 04:05 PM
Ben can hire himself and save us some money. I'm pretty sure he isn't listening to whoever comes in.

its comments like that, that give the impression you dont like ben. its one thing to criticize his play which is based on fact. how does any of us know how coachable ben is? its speculation.

RuthlessBurgher
01-08-2010, 04:10 PM

I never understood why people feel like there is no need for a QB coach. It is only the most important position on the field. For comparison's sake, no one ever seems to wonder whether or not we should have, say, a TE coach anymore. Remember, the QB coach is not only working with Ben. He's also teaching the NFL game to young developmental QB's like Dixon, so that we are not royally screwed if Ben gets hurt (that never happens to a guy that takes so many sacks, right?)

papillon
01-08-2010, 04:25 PM

Pappy

It's usually there.. and it's usually an automatic first down because Mend makes the first guy miss. There were a few times Ben found Mend in reads down the field too and the sideline pass was a TD if thrown better...

I don't want him to have read down the field at all, because, he'll look for the 40 yard gain and ignore the 8 yards that are guaranteed. I want the play to have one option, be blocked for one option and no other choices...more or less. I know that's simplistic, but I think you get what I mean.

If there's no reason to hold it, he won't, but if you give him a reason to hold it he will, it's like a drug with Ben, he loves hitting big plays and is willing to accept bad that comes with trying to hit the bog for the high of having hit the big play.

Pappy

Jooser
01-08-2010, 04:26 PM

I never understood why people feel like there is no need for a QB coach. It is only the most important position on the field. For comparison's sake, no one ever seems to wonder whether or not we should have, say, a TE coach anymore. Remember, the QB coach is not only working with Ben. He's also teaching the NFL game to young developmental QB's like Dixon, so that we are not royally screwed if Ben gets hurt (that never happens to a guy that takes so many sacks, right?)

REVEREND!

cruzer8
01-08-2010, 05:06 PM

Pappy

I don't want him to have read down the field at all, because, he'll look for the 40 yard gain and ignore the 8 yards that are guaranteed. I want the play to have one option, be blocked for one option and no other choices...more or less. I know that's simplistic, but I think you get what I mean.

If there's no reason to hold it, he won't, but if you give him a reason to hold it he will, it's like a drug with Ben, he loves hitting big plays and is willing to accept bad that comes with trying to hit the bog for the high of having hit the big play.

Pappy

Plays have multiple options for a reason. If one option isn't available then another may be.

Only one option would be foolish.

feltdizz
01-08-2010, 05:25 PM

Pappy

Pappy

Plays have multiple options for a reason. If one option isn't available then another may be.

When we finally ran a screen play with Mend against Miami he was the only option..
When we run the janky WR's screen or TE screens to Miller he is the only option...

feltdizz
01-08-2010, 08:56 PM
[quote="Mister Pittsburgh":1j5ivkug]Maybe Whiz was right not to listen to Ben's BS....thus the reason they didn't get along real well and the reason Ben loves Arians so much. Bruce lets Ben do whatever he wants.

just sayin'

Ben played like Ryan Leaf in the first Superbowl and the had a once a decade defense backing him on way to the second. Our offense put up 13 points on a bad Arizona D before we went into the no huddle that is unstoppable for the final drive and Bruce Arians designed offense showed itself by failing in the redzone in that game as well.[/quote:1j5ivkug]
Didn't Ben get a ball batted for an interception too in the redzone?
Is that BA's fault too?

papillon
01-08-2010, 09:09 PM

Pappy

Pappy

I said more or less and that I know it's simplistic. If you give Ben an option to wait and look for a big play he will, sometimes you just design the play to be a quick pass in the flat or a little circle route or even a drag underneath just so he'll take and use it as a nice 6 to 7 yard gain. The last thing I want to have happen is Ben not have options, he's the absolute best at making something out of nothing. There's never been a quarterback like Ben before in the league.

People simply can't get their arms around the way he plays, other players, coaches, talking idiots, announcers, color commentators and analysts none of them, they continue to try and put Ben in a box and you can't. When fans realize this the games become like a drug for you, you don't want to miss them, because, you never know what you might see. Trust me, I know, I would yell and scream "get rid of it", "dump it off, he's open underneath", "throw it away" and now after a negative play, I just think okay, how's he going to convert this into a first down.

Pappy