PDA

View Full Version : Can Palmer win a playoff game?

PSU_dropout43
01-08-2010, 02:35 AM
http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_ ... -game#more (http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_/id/8062/can-palmer-win-the-big-game#more)

CINCINNATI -- Bengals quarterback Carson Palmer has the gaudy career statistics. He also has two Pro Bowls and a $100 million contract.

But outside of Tony Romo of the Dallas Cowboys, no quarterback this weekend needs a playoff win to enhance his reputation more than Cincinnati's former No. 1 overall pick.

"[The postseason] is how quarterbacks are remembered, created, judged," Palmer said candidly as Cincinnati (10-6) prepared for Saturday’s playoff game against the New York Jets (9-7).

Palmer, 30, is in his seventh season and has virtually no big-game experience. In his only playoff appearance in 2005, Palmer completed one pass to former teammate Chris Henry before blowing out his knee on Cincinnati's opening drive.

This weekend will mark the first postseason game for Palmer and Cincinnati since that devastating wild-card loss to the rival Pittsburgh Steelers. It took the Bengals four years to recover, while Pittsburgh and quarterback counterpart Ben Roethlisberger went on to win two Super Bowls in that span.

Palmer said he "absolutely" appreciates this playoff opportunity more than he did four years ago.

"This doesn’t happen every year. It doesn't happen every year to anybody," Palmer said. "When you come into the league and you go to the playoffs right away, you just assume that is what it is and it will be that way every year. ... It's hard not to think that coming into the league and right away going in.

"But now, seven years in and this is only my second time going, I realize how special the opportunity is and how much we need to take advantage of it, because it doesn't come around often."

Not everything can be put on Palmer. He plays for a franchise that's had only two winning seasons and no playoff victories in the past 19 years.

The Bengals were among the league leaders in futility over the past two decades, whether it was shoddy personnel decisions, poor coaching or lack of victories. In many ways, they were the NFL's biggest punch line, and most of it was deserved.

That's why Saturday has the potential to be a special day, not only for Palmer, but for the entire Bengals franchise.

"It’s been a long time for this city, this organization, to be in the postseason," Bengals coach Marvin Lewis said. "So, this is big. That's why it is important to me."

Winning this weekend won't be easy. The Jets and Bengals are very similar. They run the football effectively and have two of the NFL's top four defenses.

Palmer got a taste of New York's No. 1-ranked defense in last week's 37-0 thrashing by the Jets in the regular-season finale. Despite playing a little more than two quarters, Palmer had his worst game of the season, completing one pass for zero yards and an interception. His quarterback rating was an abysmal 1.7.

"It was one of those games you can't let simmer," Palmer said. "You can't let it make you mad, and you can't let it frustrate you. You've just got to get past it, and we've gotten past it. It's a fresh week, it's a new season, and that's been stressed to us in the locker room after the game."

The Bengals are confident despite the 37-point loss. The team played very vanilla Sunday and rested several starters, including tailback Cedric Benson. Still, the effort and execution were not where they needed to be.

But Cincinnati believes it can reverse its fortunes.

"Come Saturday, you'll see an exciting, energetic, rambunctious Bengals team," Cincinnati starting guard Bobbie Williams said.

But more than any other Bengal, look for Palmer to be under the microscope.

In many ways, Palmer's career up to this point will be judged by how he performs in this postseason. It also doesn't help that rival division quarterbacks Roethlisberger (8-2 postseason record) and Joe Flacco (2-1) of the Baltimore Ravens are younger and have had more big-game success.

JAR
01-08-2010, 08:37 AM
I say, no :)

:bungalssuck

JTP53609
01-08-2010, 10:34 AM
i will be pulling for them, I dont like the jets, or any other team in the playoffs really, the bungles even though i should hate them, i just stronly dislike them, I HATE THE RAVENS...

steelblood
01-08-2010, 11:57 AM
I hate the Bengals. But, I don't hate Carson Palmer. I kind of hope they win one. It will make their draft pick worse. Then, I hope they get slaughtered in the 2nd round.

anger 82&95
01-08-2010, 01:06 PM
I hate the Bengals. But, I don't hate Carson Palmer. I kind of hope they win one. It will make their draft pick worse. Then, I hope they get slaughtered in the 2nd round.Not just slaughtered… One of those gut-wrenching, team defining loses where the last second field goal attempt hits the upright and careens listlessly back into the kicker’s crotch. The kind of tumultuous loss that leads to years of ineptitude, failed opportunities and marginal play calling, somewhat reminiscent of Cincinnati’s ongoing football history.

feltdizz
01-08-2010, 01:29 PM
I think the Jets are terrible.. the D is all they have. Sanchez will throw 2 or 3 picks and Ocho will actually play this week.

Ocho hyped up the first game like Don King then took a dive in pregame..

decleater
01-08-2010, 01:52 PM
The magic eight ball online said "No Way!" lol

phillyesq
01-08-2010, 01:59 PM
The Benglas really kind of backed into the playoffs. They didn't play well down the stretch at all. The Jets have a great D and a strong running game, and I think that they're capable of pulling the upset.

Jom112
01-08-2010, 02:48 PM
Yes, next question...

Steelgal
01-08-2010, 03:15 PM
We found out this year any team is capable of beating anyone, any given weekend.... But I doubt the Bengals win this weekend . I predict Chad will be a head case by the beginning of the 4th quarter and they stomped by the Jets. They won't ask Sanchez to do alot except be a game manager :stirpot , like Ben's first year in the playoffs.... They'll run the ball hard and play smashmouth defense.

There's not 1 team in the AFC right now that I would root for. I'm hoping the Packers or Saints go all the way.

feltdizz
01-08-2010, 03:32 PM
The Benglas really kind of backed into the playoffs. They didn't play well down the stretch at all. The Jets have a great D and a strong running game, and I think that they're capable of pulling the upset.

Jets lucked up in playing 2 good teams who laid down. I watched a ton of Jet games and Sanchez has progressively gotten worse. If he drops back to throw a forward pass it's over..

The Palmer vs. Revis chess match should be great though...

feltdizz
01-08-2010, 03:34 PM
We found out this year any team is capable of beating anyone, any given weekend.... But I doubt the Bengals win this weekend . I predict Chad will be a head case by the beginning of the 4th quarter and they stomped by the Jets. They won't ask Sanchez to do alot except be a game manager :stirpot , like Ben's first year in the playoffs.... They'll run the ball hard and play smashmouth defense.

There's not 1 team in the AFC right now that I would root for. I'm hoping the Packers or Saints go all the way.

If Sanchez plays like Ben's first playoff game Cincy better miss a few FG's if they are to lose.LOL

frankthetank1
01-08-2010, 04:09 PM
how can the bengals not win this game? sanchez sucks, the jets cant throw the ball at all. no team has ever backed into the playoffs more than the jets did this season. the only reason they are in it is because of their running game and defense. i actually hope the bengals beat the jets. i have always hated the jets a lot and rex ryan makes them even more unlikable

SteelAbility
01-08-2010, 06:52 PM
I say no, only because I'm rooting for the Jets over the Bengals and then moving on to IND where they knock out the team that essentially gifted them into the playoffs. Poetic justice. :wink:

Otherwise, sure. Palmer can win a playoff game.

phillyesq
01-08-2010, 07:11 PM

Jets lucked up in playing 2 good teams who laid down. I watched a ton of Jet games and Sanchez has progressively gotten worse. If he drops back to throw a forward pass it's over..

The Palmer vs. Revis chess match should be great though...

I can't disagree with you about Sanchez.

Whether or not the Bengals backed down, the Jets really thumped them to get into the playoffs. If the Bengals have a problem turning things back on now that the playoffs have started, I think the Jets can pull an upset.

I like the Jets, but it has nothing to do with Sanchez. I just like that they are built on a strong D and a power running game.

PSU_dropout43
01-09-2010, 02:00 PM
I say no, only because I'm rooting for the Jets over the Bengals and then moving on to IND where they knock out the team that essentially gifted them into the playoffs. Poetic justice. :wink:

Otherwise, sure. Palmer can win a playoff game.
+1

Starlifter
01-09-2010, 04:05 PM
the last time out the best carson could come up with was "let's put a hurtin on the steel curtain'.......

based on that totally lame pep talk, I'd say he doesn't have it in him.....

Pittsburgh
01-09-2010, 08:00 PM
While I would never "root" for any other team, I want a Chargers vs Saints Super Bowl.

The last thing I want to see is that fake cancer in Cincinnati win his first Super Bowl (Ochojerkoffo), a thug who should be doing 10 to 15 in a Maryland state penitentiary win his second Super Bowl (Ray Lewis) or a bunch of cheating bums like the Patriots win a fourth.

Outside of those three teams, I don't care who wins.

stlrz d
01-09-2010, 08:01 PM
While I would never "root" for any other team, I want a Chargers vs Saints Super Bowl.

The last thing I want to see is that fake cancer in Cincinnati win his first Super Bowl (Ochojerkoffo), a thug who should be doing 10 to 15 in a Maryland state penitentiary win his second Super Bowl (Ray Lewis) or a bunch of cheating bums like the Patriots win a fourth.

Outside of those three teams, I don't care who wins.

You mean Georgia State Penitentiary. :D

Pittsburgh
01-09-2010, 08:04 PM

The Gulag? :D

stlrz d
01-09-2010, 08:06 PM

The Gulag? :D

Well, the crime did take place in Atlanta! :D

JAR
01-09-2010, 08:10 PM
Yes, next question...

Ruh, Roh.... Jom, not looking good.

DukieBoy
01-09-2010, 08:16 PM
Good QB, seems off today.

Maybe he came out and "thiings just felt weird all day" or something like that.

grotonsteel
01-09-2010, 08:41 PM
Ocho crying on the sideline....85 needs to run away from Revis boy...

Revis should be the DMVP....dang we had a chance to get tht kid...

ColumbusSteelerFan
01-09-2010, 08:42 PM
Nope! :lol:

DukieBoy
01-09-2010, 08:44 PM
Ocho crying on the sideline....85 needs to run away from Revis boy...

Revis should be the DMVP....dang we had a chance to get tht kid...

Wasn't Revis selected one pick before ours ? HOpe I am right, otherwise I'll be sick. It'd be almost as bad in hindsight as not drafting Dan Marino when we had the chance.

Steelgal
01-09-2010, 08:45 PM
I can't believe I'm going to say this, but I hope the Pats*** knock the Rats out. Can't stand either team, but want to see meltdown in Raven land too.....

Starlifter
01-09-2010, 08:46 PM
survey says........nope!

stlrz d
01-09-2010, 08:46 PM
I can't believe I'm going to say this, but I hope the Pats*** knock the Rats out. Can't stand either team, but want to see meltdown in Raven land too.....

I'm pulling for the Pats tomorrow...but only tomorrow....

DukieBoy
01-09-2010, 08:47 PM

I'm pulling for the Pats tomorrow...but only tomorrow....

Yup.

feltdizz
01-09-2010, 08:54 PM
I hate the Pats more than any team in our division.

BATMAN
01-09-2010, 08:56 PM
I hope the Ravens knock the crap out of the Cheats. I don't like the Ravens but, at least they don't cheat.

Wolfhound45
01-09-2010, 09:06 PM
Yes, next question...

Plenty of room here on the couch brother!

8)

Just kidding Jom, you are a good guy. Wish you could have gotten at least one playoff win in the playoffs.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
01-09-2010, 09:09 PM
Yes, next question...

8)

Just kidding Jom, you are a good guy. Wish you could have gotten at least one playoff win in the playoffs.

Yeah, sorry Jom. At least we can root against the Ravens together!

Although, come to think of it, they are playing the *s, so I will be rooting for the Rats. Geesh.

stlrz d
01-09-2010, 09:12 PM
Yes, next question...

8)

Although, come to think of it, they are playing the *s, so I will be rooting for the Rats. Geesh.

Why? You pull for the Pats tomorrow and their opponent next week. It's simple. :)

SanAntonioSteelerFan
01-09-2010, 09:23 PM
Yes, next question...

8)

Why? You pull for the Pats tomorrow and their opponent next week. It's simple. :)

OK!

Uhmm, I tried. No can do. Can't root for Pats*. :lol: :lol:

stlrz d
01-09-2010, 09:33 PM
To each his own. With the way the Ravens fans, players and coaches whine and cry they are by far my most hated team in all of sports. I have trouble rooting for them even if it helps the Steelers. If it doesn't help the Steelers...then there's not a snowball's chance in hell that I'll pull for them.

I'll stand and cheer for the Pats, or any other team, all game long against the Ravens.

Pittsburgh
01-09-2010, 09:58 PM
This is tough for me.

When it comes to the fans, I see Raven fans twice a year at Heinz Field and these jagoffs act like they own the place. On the other hand, Patriot fans started showing up in the early 2000's and they act like they have been around all along.

Yet when all is said and done, the Patriots are cheaters. They cheated our boys in the past, they cheated the ticket paying fans like myself, so screw them. Plus, they have more rings than the Ravens. After this upcoming game, I hope the Ravens get the boot.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
01-09-2010, 10:09 PM
This is tough for me.

When it comes to the fans, I see Raven fans twice a year at Heinz Field and these jagoffs act like they own the place. On the other hand, Patriot fans started showing up in the early 2000's and they act like they have been around all along.

Yet when all is said and done, the Patriots are cheaters. They cheated our boys in the past, they cheated the ticket paying fans like myself, so screw them. Plus, they have more rings than the Ravens. After this upcoming game, I hope the Ravens get the boot.

This is exactly how I feel. Except for the part about it being a tough call - I never root for the Cheaters*.

Steel Life
01-09-2010, 11:07 PM
Typical Bengals...they get to the big stage and they choke. I dont want to hear anyone say that Carson is better than Ben ever again - he sucked coming down the stretch & really stunk it up today.

papillon
01-09-2010, 11:09 PM
Yes, next question...

Sorry, JOM, I feel for ya, at least, you got to play this weekend, we're all sittinghere talking about who we would rather cheer for. Good season, bad ending, the draft is only a few months away.

Pappy