PDA

View Full Version : Ben Saved BA?

BigRob
01-07-2010, 04:15 PM
On his twitter, says his source told him that Ben threw a hail mary and saved Arians butt. Says it's too much power for one player.

phillyesq
01-07-2010, 04:18 PM
According to Wexell, that is how it went down:

Just learned that Ben saved BA's job. "Completed a Hail Mary" is how it was put to me. Too much power for a player.

I'm not sure that I buy that. Then again, it would explain the whole is he or isn't he fired saga from yesterday.

He also reports a bit on how close Ben and BA are to one another.

costanza2k1
01-07-2010, 04:19 PM
Thanks for the heads up BigRob. I just believe don't these reporters much anymore. Didn't Wexell's source say that BA was fired, didn't Wexell's source say the investor's have too much power and they're forcing Tomlin to fire him? Now Ben has too much power? I think Wex his covering his butt in the firing comments he made.

costanza2k1
01-07-2010, 04:20 PM
Oh and Wexell also has stated that the Steelers won't ever win another SB with Ben and BA combo...question didn't that combo win for us in SB 43? I think he's just a pissed off fan who happens to be a reporter at this point. He's blowing up all over his twitter, facebook, and forums.

BigRob
01-07-2010, 04:24 PM
Thanks for the heads up BigRob. I just believe don't these reporters much anymore. Didn't Wexell's source say that BA was fired, didn't Wexell's source say the investor's have too much power and they're forcing Tomlin to fire him? Now Ben has too much power? I think Wex his covering his butt in the firing comments he made.

Actually, Wexell is the one who reported that his sources told him that Arians hadn't been fired. Laird is the one who said he was. He also said that rooneys leave it to the coach, but investors were pushing for move.

phillyesq

He was actually saying that BA wasn't fired, based on his sources.

He does seem quite agitated that BA returned; he clearly isn't a BA fan. But he usually has better sources than most (well, at least he seems to). I'm not quite sure what to make of it.

feltdizz
Oh and Wexell also has stated that the Steelers won't ever win another SB with Ben and BA combo...question didn't that combo win for us in SB 43? I think he's just a pissed off fan who happens to be a reporter at this point. He's blowing up all over his twitter, facebook, and forums.

Pathetic... this is proof how deep the BA hate is..

Reporters are trying to do an ESPN hit and force teams hands... blaming anyone but their own hate for a coordinator..

First it was a source, then investors, then BA himself, now Ben..

Wexell and others need to be careful... they are losing credibility and putting emotions before solid reporting.

costanza2k1
01-07-2010, 04:28 PM

Reporters are trying to do an ESPN hit and force teams hands... blaming anyone but their own hate for a coordinator..

Wexell and others need to be careful... they are losing credibility and putting emotions before solid reporting.

Not only is he showing hate for BA, he's attacking other Pgh reporters who support him...this is very interesting...makes for some good offseason drama I guess.

feltdizz
01-07-2010, 04:31 PM

Actually, Wexell is the one who reported that his sources told him that Arians hadn't been fired. Laird is the one who said he was. He also said that rooneys leave it to the coach, but investors were pushing for move.

I could see it now.. Laird asking an investor named Stallworth if he remembers smashmouth football and as soon as he says yep he ran with it.

Oviedo
01-07-2010, 04:31 PM
And you don't Peyton Manning and Tom Brady has the same power on their teams? When you commit $102M to a single player you knowingly grant that power to him. When he gets you to two Super Bowls in 5 years he has earned that power and his opinions matter.

Here is a really radical thought, Big Ben knows more about what is actually going on and offense in the NFL than the posters on this board. Could it be? Sorry to shatter any egos out there but guys like Ben are have significant amounts of information you don't and are in the business for a reason and you aren't for a reason.

feltdizz
01-07-2010, 04:32 PM

Not only is he showing hate for BA, he's attacking other Pgh reporters who support him...this is very interesting...makes for some good offseason drama I guess.

This will sell a few papers.. get a ratings bump.

The worst part though is he got the BA sucks crowd excited.. talk about a cruel joke..

RuthlessBurgher
01-07-2010, 04:35 PM
Sorry to shatter any egos out there but guys like Ben are have significant amounts of information you don't and are in the business for a reason and you aren't for a reason.

Yeah, the fact that I throw a football like a 12 year old girl might have something to do with that. :lol:

Oviedo
01-07-2010, 04:37 PM
Sorry to shatter any egos out there but guys like Ben are have significant amounts of information you don't and are in the business for a reason and you aren't for a reason.

Yeah, the fact that I throw a football like a 12 year old girl might have something to do with that. :lol:

Not sure I throw it even that good anymore

phillyesq
01-07-2010, 04:43 PM

I can match your average 12 year old girl, but only if I use a mini-football.

feltdizz
01-07-2010, 04:49 PM
And you don't Peyton Manning and Tom Brady has the same power on their teams? When you commit $102M to a single player you knowingly grant that power to him. When he gets you to two Super Bowls in 5 years he has earned that power and his opinions matter.

Here is a really radical thought, Big Ben knows more about what is actually going on and offense in the NFL than the posters on this board. Could it be? Sorry to shatter any egos out there but guys like Ben are have significant amounts of information you don't and are in the business for a reason and you aren't for a reason.

Exactly... When you pay a guy $102 Million his opinion and happiness matters... he is making the Steelers at least 3 times as much money over that period of time. His word is bond and rightfully so.

I keep asking why fans want to make Ben unhappy and no one will respond. Some fans are fans of themselves more than anything.

If Troy didn't like LeBeau who do you think retires next year? Not Troy..
Especially after this season without him. They are franchise players for a reason.

RuthlessBurgher
01-07-2010, 04:56 PM
Some fans are fans of themselves more than anything.

I am my biggest fan. My mom likes me. My kids think I'm cool. My wife thinks I'm pretty alright too. :D

phillyesq
01-07-2010, 04:58 PM
Here is Wexell's latest explanation on the BA saga, which makes a bit of sense:

BA sought confirmation Tue. from Tomlin, who wouldn't talk then. Without confirmation, BA assumed he was done & told people that; it leaked.

There are some interesting bits on info on his twitter feed. But as I read the stream of consciousness, I'm quite convinced that twitter is a very bad idea for just about anybody.

ANPSTEEL
01-07-2010, 05:10 PM

I call bullsh*t!

I've been reading MSM's & S43's posts- and am convinced they know all.

Actually, while you have a very valid point here... Ben is not just part of the solution- he is part of the problem as well.

So Ben getting to push his weight around is a bit like the Fox guarding the Henhouse.

Once someone drills it into Ben's head, that he has to learn to read pre-snap defenses better- and he can actually hit timing patterns, consistently,
vs.
His current 50% allotment of relying upon his physical skills to break down the coverage- to create successful passing plays-

then- you will actually see improved Red-Zone scoring.

Oviedo
01-07-2010, 05:10 PM

BA sought confirmation Tue. from Tomlin, who wouldn't talk then. Without confirmation, BA assumed he was done & told people that; it leaked.

There are some interesting bits on info on his twitter feed. But as I read the stream of consciousness, I'm quite convinced that twitter is a very bad idea for just about anybody.

Idiots and people who way overestimate their importance use twitter. Gives the term "Twits" all new meaning.

ANPSTEEL
01-07-2010, 05:13 PM

Idiots and people who way overestimate their importance use twitter. Gives the term "Twits" all new meaning.

oh no you di'int???

twice in one day!!

i just tweetereded "finished picking up the dogs crap in the back yard~"

tell me that is not important stuff ;)

/sarcasm

steelblood
01-07-2010, 05:29 PM

That is logical reasoning.

It is also probably true that Ben likes to do things his way and Arians is an OC who is willing to let Ben have more control and caters to Ben's desires. Ben doesn't want to learn a new system and Ben doesn't want to lose the control the he has. Who could blame him? Is it the best thing for the team? Maybe, Maybe not.

One thing for certain. Tomlin had better have made some demands like...1. Fix the short Yardage problem by fixing the scheme and getting a real FB, 2. Teach Ben the value of getting the ball out on time in the red zone. 3. Send Matt Spaeth and Carey Davis to Siberia.

feltdizz
01-07-2010, 05:36 PM

I call bullsh*t!

I've been reading MSM's & S43's posts- and am convinced they know all.

Actually, while you have a very valid point here... Ben is not just part of the solution- he is part of the problem as well.

So Ben getting to push his weight around is a bit like the Fox guarding the Henhouse.

Once someone drills it into Ben's head, that he has to learn to read pre-snap defenses better- and he can actually hit timing patterns, consistently,
vs.
His current 50% allotment of relying upon his physical skills to break down the coverage- to create successful passing plays-

then- you will actually see improved Red-Zone scoring.

True... but have you had this much excitement in the last 5 years? This is why Ben calls all the shots and we will always hear stories about the team hating him...

and his best play ever was the tackle in Indy...

looking back at Ben's last 5 years if I was him you couldn't tell me sh!t!

Remember Cowher in the SB? Ben shrugged him off like whatever.. bye bye..

feltdizz
01-07-2010, 05:43 PM

It is also probably true that Ben likes to do things his way and Arians is an OC who is willing to let Ben have more control and caters to Ben's desires. Ben doesn't want to learn a new system and Ben doesn't want to lose the control the he has. Who could blame him? Is it the best thing for the team? Maybe, Maybe not.

One thing for certain. Tomlin had better have made some demands like...1. Fix the short Yardage problem by fixing the scheme and getting a real FB, 2. Teach Ben the value of getting the ball out on time in the red zone. 3. Send Matt Spaeth and Carey Davis to Siberia.

I doubt Tomlin made any demands.. it was all show. They were probably watching Ben's highlights asking what direction Ben wants to go in..

I really can't see Tomlin getting too mad at the run game since he benched Mend and never demanded more touches...

BradshawsHairdresser
01-07-2010, 06:05 PM
Here's how it went down (as I posted in another thread):

Tomlin: Brucie, I don't think this team can take any more of your head-scratching,
inept, play-calling. You couldn't game-plan a high school game. Your mind-bogglingly
stupid lack of adjustments cost this team dearly. Your inability to manufacture points in the red zone is inexcusable. What were you thinking, continuing to go with those 7-step drops and empty backfields when Ben was getting pummeled? Why would you go with 40 passes in the frigid wind in Cleveland? Why the bonehead calls on third and short? When Mendy's been running wild in the first half, why go away from him in the second? And then I hear you've been leaking stories to reporters that you're getting the pink slip. Give me one good reason why I should keep you on this staff.

Arians: Ben likes me. If you fire me, Ben will not be happy. If Ben isn't happy, guess who will get fired NEXT year.

Tomlin: Well....uh....I think we can live together for another go-around...

feltdizz
01-07-2010, 06:23 PM
Here's how it went down (as I posted in another thread):

Tomlin: Brucie, I don't think this team can take any more of your head-scratching,
inept, play-calling. You couldn't game-plan a high school game. Your mind-bogglingly
stupid lack of adjustments cost this team dearly. Your inability to manufacture points in the red zone is inexcusable. What were you thinking, continuing to go with those 7-step drops and empty backfields when Ben was getting pummeled? Why would you go with 40 passes in the frigid wind in Cleveland? Why the bonehead calls on third and short? When Mendy's been running wild in the first half, why go away from him in the second? And then I hear you've been leaking stories to reporters that you're getting the pink slip. Give me one good reason why I should keep you on this staff.

Arians: Ben likes me. If you fire me, Ben will not be happy. If Ben isn't happy, guess who will get fired NEXT year.

Tomlin: Well....uh....I think we can live together for another go-around...

I bet Ben met with Tomlin before BA.. he is probably BA's agent and gets 15%

cruzer8
01-07-2010, 06:52 PM

I doubt Tomlin made any demands.. it was all show. They were probably watching Ben's highlights asking what direction Ben wants to go in..

I really can't see Tomlin getting too mad at the run game since he benched Mend and never demanded more touches...

He benched Mendenhall to teach him a lesson about preparing each week. And it worked.

feltdizz
01-07-2010, 07:06 PM

He benched Mendenhall to teach him a lesson about preparing each week. And it worked.

I know why he was benched.... I didn't like it either.
Regardless, Tomlin could have demanded more touches if it was seen as a problem.

msp26505
01-07-2010, 08:08 PM
Regardless, Tomlin could have demanded more touches if it was seen as a problem.

I liked the result.

Mendy was ten times the back after game five that he was at any time prior...

feltdizz
01-07-2010, 08:28 PM

I liked the result.

It was the second game of the season, right after a 50 yard run... He looked good to me.
It's great long term but looking back I would have been ok with a 1st qtr punishment. It's a game of inches..

stlrz d
01-08-2010, 12:39 AM

I liked the result.

I liked it too and it worked wonders.

Too funny...this dolt doesn't like a player getting benched for blowing assignments and taking for granted his role with the team...yet he thinks its a good thing for players to call one another out in the press.

Yeah...that's what we're dealing with here.

Players calling one another out in the press = good.

Ben takes sacks purposely to get in automatic passing situations.

Players shouldn't be benched for failure to prepare.

Keeping BA was a good idea because our players put up a lot of yardage.

Sheesh....

:roll:

Jooser
01-08-2010, 07:42 AM

Dude, I can throw a Nerf football 20 yards EASY! :lol:

stlrz d
01-08-2010, 09:29 AM

http://www2.nwanews.com/blogs/slophouse/files/2009/08/uncle-rico.jpg

Crash
01-08-2010, 05:57 PM
Wex is a noted Kordell apologist who also wanted Ben benched last season before the playoffs because of how the team "responds" to Byron Leftwich.

Wex is also the same guy who got mad at Mark Madden for supposedly talking about the Kordell gay rumors but he has no problem talking about the wreaked marriage of former PITT Coach Walt Harris, nor the Ben/Gulbis hookup on his website.

He's a bitter Kordell fan. Period.

So what if BA/Ben don't win a 2nd ring, they already have more rings than Kordell ever will. Whither Jim Wexell likes it or not.

He's a punk. Just another keyboard Rambo with an opinion.

BradshawsHairdresser
01-08-2010, 08:48 PM
Wex is a noted Kordell apologist who also wanted Ben benched last season before the playoffs because of how the team "responds" to Byron Leftwich.

Wex is also the same guy who got mad at Mark Madden for supposedly talking about the Kordell gay rumors but he has no problem talking about the wreaked marriage of former PITT Coach Walt Harris, nor the Ben/Gulbis hookup on his website.

So what if BA/Ben don't win a 2nd ring, they already have more rings than Kordell ever will. Whither Jim Wexell likes it or not.

You should stop in more often.

BradshawsHairdresser
01-08-2010, 08:49 PM

ikestops85
01-08-2010, 08:51 PM

I can also ... but only if it has the tail with the feathers on the end

http://di1.shopping.com/images1/pi/98/4b/fc/89931867-149x149-0-0_Hasbro+Nerf+NFL+Vortex+Football+STEELERS.jpg

papillon
01-08-2010, 10:51 PM

X2

Pappy

Crash
01-09-2010, 02:45 AM
I don't post here much but I do read.

Wex is just a schmuck. Nothing but a thief and a rumor mongor.

Anyone who pays for that "insider" context needs their head examined.