PDA

View Full Version : a do over.....

JTP53609
01-07-2010, 01:40 PM
if youhad the power to go back and change one play from this season, which would it be..
there are many, from heaths crucial drop in the K.C game, to burnett's gift intercpeption or sweeds touchdown drop, even to 3rd and 7 at mid field in overtime in baltimore....or any of the many special team disasters. This season was not the prettiest by any means, heck if Ben does not get sacked in the redzone in chicago than reed probably hits a chip shot field goal instead of missing from 43....
but my play to do over is...
I wish Bironis would have just made the damn field goal instead of having it blocked, if he hits it than Troy does not get hurt, I hate to say it but one man truly makes a difference on our team, Troy is to the defense what Ben is to the offense..

feltdizz
01-07-2010, 01:43 PM
if we had the power to go back and change one play from this season, which would it be..
there are many, from heaths crucial drop in the K.C game, to burnett's gift intercpeption or sweeds touchdown drop, even to 3rd and 7 at mid field in overtime in baltimore....or any of the many special team disasters. This season was not the prettiest by any means, heck if Ben does not get sacked in the redzone in chicago than reed probably hits a chip shot field goal instead of missing from 43....
I wish Bironis would have just made the damn field goal instead of having it blocked, if he hits it than Troy does not get hurt, I hate to say it but one man truly makes a difference on our team, Troy is to the defense what Ben is to the offense..

When I saw it happen I was crushed... he wasn't going to return it.. the worst play of last year hands down. However the Baltimore 3rd and 20 was a close second. We get an incompletion and Dixon gets a win and the confidence of the team is through the roof!

RuthlessBurgher
01-07-2010, 01:48 PM
Any one of those plays means that we would have one more win and therefore would be in the playoffs this weekend, so it really doesn't matter which one. Therefore, I guess I'll pick the one that seems to have the longest-lasting side effect...Sweed's TD drop, which seemed to further damage whatever self-confidence that guy had to the point that he was put on I.R. for cryptic personal non-injury related issues (which I assumed to mean that he had some sort of a mental breakdown). If he makes that catch and his confidence grows instead of shrivels, could you imagine the weapons at our disposal if we had Hines, Holmes, Wallace, Heath, and a confident big receiver in Sweed as well?

JTP53609
01-07-2010, 01:48 PM
if we had the power to go back and change one play from this season, which would it be..

When I saw it happen I was crushed... he wasn't going to return it.. the worst play of last year hands down. However the Baltimore 3rd and 20 was a close second. We get an incompletion and Dixon gets a win and the confidence of the team is through the roof!

yep, even if we just give up 10 yards and make it a fourth and 12 (bc i think it was 3rd and 22) than maybe harbaugh thinks about punting and even if we go three and out, the rats get the ball with little time and no time outs....oh my that game hurt really bad, worse than the bad team losses....

but yea, when i saw that polamalu injury I had a bad feeling, and after that chicago game, I knew we would be in trouble if we did not get him back...as did most of the steeler fanbase

feltdizz
01-07-2010, 01:52 PM

yep, even if we just give up 10 yards and make it a fourth and 12 (bc i think it was 3rd and 22) than maybe harbaugh thinks about punting and even if we go three and out, the rats get the ball with little time and no time outs....oh my that game hurt really bad, worse than the bad team losses....

but yea, when i saw that polamalu injury I had a bad feeling, and after that chicago game, I knew we would be in trouble if we did not get him back...as did most of the steeler fanbase

I knew we were in trouble the next time the Titans got the ball. Pass to the left for 20 yards, pass to the left side for 18 yards, TD pass to the left side...

3 plays.. same side, damn near same route, and neither CB or safety are anywhere close to the fattest TE in football or the WR..

NW Steeler
01-07-2010, 02:06 PM
It amazing when you think that 1 play in 4 different games made the difference between being 13-3 and 9-7. 13-3 with our secondary issues would have been incredible. But maybe we are better off going 9-7 and missing the playoffs this year. It will probably make us a better team next year and in the years to come. I don't know how far we would have gone in the playoffs this year anyway.
I am hoping, PRAYING that the offense continues to develop next year. Maybe the long "productive" meeting between Tomlin and Arians was to discuss the changes that Tomlin wants to see. A good draft, a smart FA signing or two and we are in the run again next year!

feltdizz
01-07-2010, 02:21 PM
All you have to do is get to the playoffs then who knows..
but time and time again our DB's looked like they wanted no part of the postseason.

I think the last nail in the coffin for me was the second Ravens game as far as playoffs were concerned. The typical punt return late in a game for great field position..., the wide open Mason TD drop.., the WTF Townsend holding penalty on the TD that was called back... To this day I have no idea what he would have said to a reporter or coach if they didn't call holding, it was one of the worst efforts I have ever seen by a DB at shedding a block.. maybe it was a vet move but geez...

that sealed it for me that we just weren't in it mentality... we needed a dropped pass, 2 to 3 do overs on TD's and a Ravens meltdown in another game we had complete control over.

SteelTorch
01-07-2010, 02:26 PM
I would say the Limas Sweed dropped pass in the first Bengals game. If he catches that, we win. Not only do we go 10-6, we also get an extra win against an AFC and divisional opponent.

SteelerNation1
01-07-2010, 02:38 PM
I'm going to add one to the list. How about the 3rd and a mile we had the Chiefs in? They were backed up in their own end and Cassel completes a long one to Lance Long or someone. That game changed our season. We win that game, we beat the Ravens, Raiders, and Clowns IMO.

grotonsteel
01-07-2010, 02:41 PM
How about 4th and 10 completion by Palmer to a backup FB..

I would like to change that play against Bungles.

feltdizz
01-07-2010, 02:48 PM
The Sweed play was frustrating.. Dude has issues and who knows what his nights are like.. I bet his agent wants to kill him too...

This also factors into execution.. this year we didn't make the one or 2 routine plays that we usually make in games... we weren't focused or hungry.

It's also upsetting when you see how many 3rd or 4th and longs we had to preserve wins and we couldn't stop one of them..

JTP53609
01-07-2010, 02:50 PM
the thing that kills me and I sound like a broken record is that....we had key players get hurt in the games that we played bad teams, and the players got hurt towards the end of games when they should not even be in...
aaron smith gets hurt in detroit in the second half
big ben gets a concussion in KC in overtime (we lose 2 games cause of it)
hines gets hurt at the very end of the oakland game...

3 big time players get hurt against bad teams late in the games because we screw around with crap teams, that is what really makes me angry in addition to the missed oppurtunities...

RKSteel
01-07-2010, 03:03 PM
The pick 6 Ben throws in the first Bengals game. That gave them the momentum they needed to start a comeback.

feltdizz
01-07-2010, 03:08 PM
If Sweed makes that catch we are up 27 to 9!!! 27 to 9!!!

and I bet no one on this board would feel it was enough points..

kinda sums up our season. Always snatching defeat from the jaws of victory!

Sugar
01-07-2010, 03:10 PM
I would say the Limas Sweed dropped pass in the first Bengals game. If he catches that, we win. Not only do we go 10-6, we also get an extra win against an AFC and divisional opponent.

That's mine too. This also means that we don't get swept by Cincy, so I don't have to hear about it every time I see a fan of theirs.

SteelAbility
01-08-2010, 04:26 PM
The Troy play by far. If he stays healthy, even with a loss there to the Titans, we finish at 12-4 or 13-3 with a bye.

birtikidis
01-08-2010, 05:45 PM

is this the same game that ben throws the pick 6? or was it the KR for a td? this game crushed me.

SteelAbility
01-08-2010, 06:46 PM

is this the same game that ben throws the pick 6? or was it the KR for a td? this game crushed me.

The Sweed drop was the same game as the pick 6. The KR for TD was the 2nd game with Cincy. Sweed did not play in that game. We had to make sure to distribute bonus plays to our opponent in EACH game to give us the best chance at an exciting finish.

Steel Life
01-08-2010, 07:24 PM
Easily the Burnett INT drop...that one play probably has us in the playoffs & then we have a puncher's chance to do something interesting against some suspect teams. Granted a lot of opportunities were wasted throughout the season, but this INT would've wiped out a lot of them.

feltdizz
01-08-2010, 09:18 PM

The Sweed drop was the same game as the pick 6. The KR for TD was the 2nd game with Cincy. Sweed did not play in that game. We had to make sure to distribute bonus plays to our opponent in EACH game to give us the best chance at an exciting finish.

:Agree
That is the main problem with this team in all 3 phases of football. Every game is a nail biter and a heart stopper. Each game has a few bonus plays to make sure the opponent stays close enough. For years I have said we are the NFL ratings giant because every game is a roller coaster with a freeze frame finish...

This is why the wins are so glorious and the losses leave that stank in your mouth that make you avoid ESPN for the week.

steelerkeylargo
01-08-2010, 11:19 PM
Come on you guys....The play where FAT F*(&%^&G Alge Crumpler goes YOKOZUNA on Troy's leg is the biggest no brainer ever!!!