PDA

View Full Version : I feel horrible...

SteelCrazy
01-07-2010, 01:28 AM
It feels like my dog just died knowing Arians didn't get axed after that bogus report. Like I read on another board, for the first time I am questioning Tomlin. I hope I am reading into this all wrong.

I want feltdizz and the few others to be right about Arians and really was just the D not able to hold those leads...but that thought automatically raises a red flag, but I will not tread there again.

Bottom line is as a Steelers super fan, I just want success and championships regardless of how it's done, just as long as it is done!

Go Steelers! :tt2 :tt2

Good luck Coach Arians!! *gag*

feltdizz
01-07-2010, 01:41 AM
It feels like my dog just died knowing Arians didn't get axed after that bogus report. Like I read on another board, for the first time I am questioning Tomlin. I hope I am reading into this all wrong.

I want feltdizz and the few others to be right about Arians and really was just the D not able to hold those leads...but that thought automatically raises a red flag, but I will not tread there again.

Bottom line is as a Steelers super fan, I just want success and championships regardless of how it's done, just as long as it is done!

Go Steelers! :tt2 :tt2

Good luck Coach Arians!! *gag*
I don't think BA is a genius or the best OC... Lord knows I want him to run more, I just think with a healthy Troy on D we would have been a 2 seed easily this year.

SteelCrazy
01-07-2010, 02:07 AM
Yea, I agree, if Troy were out there all season we would be 12-4...11-5, but that is because Troy is the best SS in the game. Having him is almost like having 12 on D.

I don't think firing Coach Z. alone solves anything on offense as far as sustaining drives and redzone efficiency or even sacks allowed.

Like stlr d said in another thread, "talk about your scapegoat".

stlrz d
01-07-2010, 09:53 AM
Yea, I agree, if Troy were out there all season we would be 12-4...11-5, but that is because Troy is the best SS in the game. Having him is almost like having 12 on D.

I don't think firing Coach Z. alone solves anything on offense as far as sustaining drives and redzone efficiency or even sacks allowed.

No doubt about it. It's up to the OC to fit his scheme to the abilities of the players. Our O line, while improving, is not one that can sustain pass protection for a significant amount of time when faced with a 5+ man pass rush. There's only so much the O line coach can do about that. Dropping the QB back 5-7 steps while receivers are running routes 15+ yards downfield (often out of the empty backfield set) isn't helping the O line coach at all.

I'd argue that Arians' scheme cost coach Z his job.

Slapstick
01-07-2010, 10:14 AM
I disagree completely...

Not necessarily about Arians keeping his job, but about the OL coach...

If the Steelers can hire a better OL coach who will formulate better blocking schemes, teach better technique and foster better communication between the linemen, it can only help in short yardage and red zone situations...

I feel the same way about Horton, the DB coach...if the Steelers decide to fire him and go with somebody else who will teach better technique, it can only help...

feltdizz
01-07-2010, 01:01 PM

No doubt about it. It's up to the OC to fit his scheme to the abilities of the players. Our O line, while improving, is not one that can sustain pass protection for a significant amount of time when faced with a 5+ man pass rush. There's only so much the O line coach can do about that. Dropping the QB back 5-7 steps while receivers are running routes 15+ yards downfield (often out of the empty backfield set) isn't helping the O line coach at all.

Ben had 46 sacks with Russ Grimm, Faneca and Hartings and Bettis on the team..

It's not BA it's Ben... you can blame Ben, he holds onto the ball too long sometimes.. everyone says it, Ben says it, the board admits it..

Look at any other QB who relieves Ben when he is injured.. the sack total is usually 1 or 0. Dude takes sacks..

feltdizz
01-07-2010, 01:03 PM
I disagree completely...

If the Steelers can hire a better OL coach who will formulate better blocking schemes, teach better technique and foster better communication between the linemen, it can only help in short yardage and red zone situations...

I feel the same way about Horton, the DB coach...if the Steelers decide to fire him and go with somebody else who will teach better technique, it can only help...

fire the DB coach and II think Tomlin will be 3-3...

RuthlessBurgher
01-07-2010, 01:27 PM
I disagree completely...

When I was handicapping coaching moves at the end of our season, I said that I thought there would be:

A 95% chance that special teams coach Bob Ligashesky was fired.

Check!

An 85% chance that assistant special teams coach Amos Jones was fired.

Still no word from the team on Jones' fate.

A 75% chance that offensive coordinator Bruce Arians was fired.

Nope!

A 65% chance that offensive line coach Larry Zeirlein was fired.

Check!

A 55% chance that secondary coach Ray Horton was fired.

Still no word from the team on Horton's fate.

frankthetank1
01-07-2010, 01:40 PM

i think if we get a better o line coach and improve in run blocking then it will improve the red zone offense and sustaining drives immensely. those are the only two area's the offense needs to work on. i think mendy is fine for a short yardage RB but if the oline gets no push it doesnt matter, you could have bettis in there and it wouldnt matter if the blocking is poor.
i dont have any problems with the pass blocking. most sacks are on ben and thats fine, thats ben's game. the oline is so inconsistent in run blocking though. i think if that improves than the deficinces in the offense will improve

feltdizz
01-07-2010, 01:55 PM

i think if we get a better o line coach and improve in run blocking then it will improve the red zone offense and sustaining drives immensely. those are the only two area's the offense needs to work on. i think mendy is fine for a short yardage RB but if the oline gets no push it doesnt matter, you could have bettis in there and it wouldnt matter if the blocking is poor.
i dont have any problems with the pass blocking. most sacks are on ben and thats fine, thats ben's game. the oline is so inconsistent in run blocking though. i think if that improves than the deficinces in the offense will improve

I disagree frank.. the sacks that are on Ben force passing downs when the run game could still be an option..

now we know it's still not an option but at least the opponent has to think about it, for a second.

feltdizz
01-07-2010, 01:57 PM
I disagree completely...

When I was handicapping coaching moves at the end of our season, I said that I thought there would be:

A 95% chance that special teams coach Bob Ligashesky was fired.

Check!

An 85% chance that assistant special teams coach Amos Jones was fired.

Still no word from the team on Jones' fate.

A 75% chance that offensive coordinator Bruce Arians was fired.

Nope!

A 65% chance that offensive line coach Larry Zeirlein was fired.

Check!

A 55% chance that secondary coach Ray Horton was fired.

Still no word from the team on Horton's fate.

I don't care about the assistant because I think he is going to do what he is told if he stays..

secondary coach needs to go....

I never thought for a second BA was going anywhere.. until the KDKA foolery of course.

flippy
01-07-2010, 02:02 PM
We can always hire an OLine coach and a QB coach that's more experienced than BA with the idea of eventually replacing him. Heck, we could call our OLine coach assistant HC and give him some say over Arians' gameplans.

SteelCrazy
01-07-2010, 02:50 PM

I agree, but maybe a new OLine C can adjust to Arians style and get these things fixed. I'm trying to be positive.......Like flippy said, maybe they will make the OLine C an assistant HC and give him some say on plays called or scheme.....dare to dream

feltdizz
01-07-2010, 03:00 PM
ike Pappy said...
Once you accept Ben's style or our O's style the game is much more enjoyable to watch.

Our ST's will improve, the run and pass blocking will improve...
Logan will break one or 2 TD's off and continue to give us great field position....

Ben will still take a few sacks because it gives him power...
We will still drop back on 3rd and 2...
We will still run less then we desire...
We will still have Red Zone execution problems..

However, I expect less of each... and I expect the D to get back to normal...
and when our D is normal we get stops and TO's and put QB's out the game...
when our D is normal it gives Ben an extra possession to do his magic..

Oviedo
01-07-2010, 03:07 PM
If watching an Arians led offense causes so much consternation there is always the option of not watching. Watch another team and I'm sure everyone will soon find out that they are smarter than that team's OC too.

Living here is Florida and with the games we get to see, I know I'm smarter than Urban Meyer at Florida, Jimbo Fisher at FSU, the UCF OC, The Tampa OC and the Jags OC.

I have emailed several of these organization laying out in detail how I would improve and fix things. Still waiting for a response but I'm sure they will value the fresh perspective I bring never being employed by a college or professional football team. I can think outside the box.

feltdizz
01-07-2010, 03:16 PM
If watching an Arians led offense causes so much consternation there is always the option of not watching. Watch another team and I'm sure everyone will soon find out that they are smarter than that team's OC too.

Living here is Florida and with the games we get to see, I know I'm smarter than Urban Meyer at Florida, Jimbo Fisher at FSU, the UCF OC, The Tampa OC and the Jags OC.

I have emailed several of these organization laying out in detail how I would improve and fix things. Still waiting for a response but I'm sure they will value the fresh perspective I bring never being employed by a college or professional football team. I can think outside the box.

I forget who said it but it went something like this...

After the GB game a guy said he heard or read Steeler fans boasting about the GB Offensive Coordinator...Then he went on a GB chat board and GB fans were all over their OC...

A guy on here actually implied how I better (get with the program) and bash BA or else... not really or else but it felt like a warning since I was going in on the D.

SteelCrazy
01-07-2010, 03:19 PM

I finished second in my fantasy league...I think I know what I am talking about! 8)

Oviedo
01-07-2010, 03:23 PM

I finished second in my fantasy league...I think I know what I am talking about! 8)

Update that resume. Arians only has one year left on his contract and you get my vote.

It should be no problem coordinating the players actually on one team versus a collection of players from multiple teams.

SteelCrazy
01-07-2010, 03:37 PM

Update that resume. Arians only has one year left on his contract and you get my vote.

It should be no problem coordinating the players actually on one team versus a collection of players from multiple teams.

Yea, I've thought about it, but I feel I'm more suited for Fantasy League....Plus, who could beat the money and prizes fantasy pays!? No one in the NFL has ever been rewarded with a 60" HDTV. Anyway, I'm already signed through 2012.

rockonsteel
01-07-2010, 04:00 PM

There are plenty of football games where I sit and marvel at the way the person calling the plays strings together sequences of plays, mixing things up, keeping defenses off balance. Seeing a weakness on the defense, and attacking until they stop it. And then adjusting further once they do. Designing game plans condusive to weather conditions. Calling plays according to the flow of the game.

All I do watching games called Bruce Arians is scratch my head and yell at the tv. There are some brilliant offensive minds out there, just so happens Bruce aint one of them. He has the great fortune of coaching an immensely talented offense that makes him look good, and covers up a lot of flaws.

Rockon