PDA

View Full Version : Post-Gazette: Arians stays

PSU_dropout43
01-06-2010, 04:20 PM
Steelers: Zierlein out, Arians stays
Wednesday, January 06, 2010
By Gerry Dulac, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

The Steelers have fired offensive line coach Larry Zierlein and told Bruce Arians he will be retained as the team's offensive coordinator, the Post-Gazette has learned.

Arians, who has a year remaining on his contract, had a long meeting today with Coach Mike Tomlin and was told he will return in that position in 2010.

Under Arians, the Steelers offense produced a 4,000-yard quarterback, two 1,000-yard receivers and a 1,000-yard running back in 2009 for the first time in franchise history.

Even though the running game improved this season from their Super Bowl season in 2008, averaging 112.1 yards per game, Zierlein was dismissed after Roethlisberger was sacked a personal-high 50 times this season.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10006/10 ... z0brj7FSGP (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10006/1026257-100.stm#ixzz0brj7FSGP)

Steeler Mafia
01-06-2010, 04:21 PM
F'N BOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

I guess I will start getting used to having this same feeling next year when we don't make the playoffs, lose mulitple games in the middle of the season by 3 points, and lose to the likes of the Browns, the Raiders, The Chiefs, and maybe even the Lions.

D*#@ YOU TOMLIN, YOU CHICKEN SH@#!!!!!!!!

Oviedo
01-06-2010, 04:24 PM
Oh Joy :( Another year of reading b!thching, complaining and second guessing. At least the "cut and paste" function can be used since we have read the same things for two year now.

MaxAMillion
01-06-2010, 04:27 PM

The Steelers have fired offensive line coach Larry Zierlein and told Bruce Arians he will be retained as the team's offensive coordinator, the Post-Gazette has learned.

Arians, who has a year remaining on his contract, had a long meeting today with Coach Mike Tomlin and was told he will return in that position in 2010.

Under Arians, the Steelers offense produced a 4,000-yard quarterback, two 1,000-yard receivers and a 1,000-yard running back in 2009 for the first time in franchise history.

Even though the running game improved this season from their Super Bowl season in 2008, averaging 112.1 yards per game, Zierlein was dismissed after Roethlisberger was sacked a personal-high 50 times this season.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10006/10 ... z0brj7FSGP (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10006/1026257-100.stm#ixzz0brj7FSGP)

I don't have a problem with it. Of couse if I were Zierlein, I would ask Tomlin to tell him how many teams are trying to win games with an OL filled with mid and lower round draft choices. Teams with the best OL actually invest top money or draft choices on OL players. The Steelers are trying to run an offense based on bargain basement shopping along the OL (Except for Starks of course. He managed to get a lot of money out of the Steelers).

Steeler Mafia
01-06-2010, 04:29 PM
That's it......I'm done. :HeadBanger

So long everyone. I will see you all in therapy!

Iron Shiek
01-06-2010, 04:32 PM
Oh Joy :( Another year of reading b!thching, complaining and second guessing. At least the "cut and paste" function can be used since we have read the same things for two year now.

Oh well. I'll suck it up and accept it until he pi$ses me off again, just like I did the past couple years. Gosh, I can't believe its been a year since this same announcement was made. I remember typing something similar saying that I'll accept it and keep the familiarity and what not. I'm being set up for dissappointment I think, but its done now.

I wonder what changes are under way on the other side of the ball?

Oviedo
01-06-2010, 04:46 PM

Oh well. I'll suck it up and accept it until he pi$ses me off again, just like I did the past couple years. Gosh, I can't believe its been a year since this same announcement was made. I remember typing something similar saying that I'll accept it and keep the familiarity and what not. I'm being set up for dissappointment I think, but its done now.

LeBeau is stubborn and refuses to make adjustments durings games (sound familiar). Nothing will cahange of the defensive side of the ball because St LeBeau received the fire zone blitz on stone tablets from heaven and will follow that regardless of whether it works or not and whether his players may be better at playing another scheme. We dare not question St LeBeau or demand any changes lest we burn in that really hot place for all eternity.

steelblood
01-06-2010, 04:53 PM

LeBeau is stubborn and refuses to make adjustments durings games (sound familiar). Nothing will cahange of the defensive side of the ball because St LeBeau received the fire zone blitz on stone tablets from heaven and will follow that regardless of whether it works or not and whether his players may be better at playing another scheme. We dare not question St LeBeau or demand any changes lest we burn in that really hot place for all eternity.

Man, you need to lay off the Arians haters after a post like that. Wow, you hates you some coach Wicker Basket. :lol:

msp26505
01-06-2010, 04:54 PM
Bitter much, Oviedo?

Arians is staying. You got what you wanted and you're still on the attack.

Steeler Mafia
01-06-2010, 04:55 PM
Bitter much, Oviedo?

He won't be satisfied until we s-can LeBeau and switch to the 4-3. 8)

Oviedo
01-06-2010, 05:08 PM
Bitter much, Oviedo?

Read my posts. I clearly stated that I felt both coordinators should go. I stated that Arians had probably taken this offense as far as he could. Where I differ is that I don't delude myself into thinking the "grass is greener on the otherside" and a new person equates to better. I recognize that a new person could equate to worse.

As far as the defense, I have always stated that while the 4-3 is a something we should consider for a number of reasons I have explained in detail I'm Ok staying with the 3-4 as long as we have taken a honest, realistic assessment of our defense and its performance. My issue has always been that LeBeau is never questioned even when he fails. LeBeau is never blamed even when he fails. Therefore there is no motivation for him to change or even consider something new or different. That is not good for the team IMO.

I don't sound like the bitter and disappointed posters. Just stop and think about what I write for a second. I question and suggest we assess LeBeau's performance and it is characterized as "still on the attack." However anyone who criticizes Arians is viewed as being on a holy crusade. My posts these last few days (and I have deliberately overstated some things intentionally) have just tried to illustrate this unbalanced position.

Steeler Mafia
01-06-2010, 05:10 PM
Bitter much, Oviedo?

Read my posts. I clearly stated that I felt both coordinators should go. I stated that Arians had probably taken this offense as far as he could. Where I differ is that I don't delude myself into thinking the "grass is greener on the otherside" and a new person equates to better. I recognize that a new person could equate to worse.

As far as the defense, I have always stated that while the 4-3 is a something we should consider for a number of reasons I have explained in detail I'm Ok staying with the 3-4 as long as we have taken a honest, realistic assessment of our defense and its performance. My issue has always been that LeBeau is never questioned even when he fails. LeBeau is never blamed even when he fails. Therefore there is no motivation for him to change or even consider something new or different. That is not good for the team IMO.

Meanwhile...it is okay to retain this guy as our OC?

http://telicthoughts.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/09/CartmanRetarded.jpg

rockonsteel
01-06-2010, 05:12 PM
If this is true, it takes the air right out of my balloon. Talk about having your bubble burst. This is the worst news ever!

Rockon

papillon
01-06-2010, 05:25 PM
If this is true, it takes the air right out of my balloon. Talk about having your bubble burst. This is the worst news ever!

Rockon

It's the only rational decision that could be made. The offense has improved year after year. If the Steelers struggle to score points next year in the red zone or struggle in short yardage situations, then I'll be the first to say Arians should go. If the offense continues to produce as it did this year and manages to improve in the red zone and short yardage the Steelers will have a top 5 offense.

This is how the Steelers have operated forever. The Steelers need more proof than a bunch of Yahoos :moon on a message board saying Arians should go and one disappointing year to actually relieve the man of his duties.

They believe in their strategy and they will not deviate, good for them, good for the Steelers, it's bad for those that need immediate gratification, fortunately, I am a patient man. :D

Pappy

Iron Shiek
01-06-2010, 05:27 PM
Bitter much, Oviedo?

I don't sound like the bitter and disappointed posters. Just stop and think about what I write for a second. I question and suggest we assess LeBeau's performance and it is characterized as "still on the attack." However anyone who criticizes Arians is viewed as being on a holy crusade. My posts these last few days (and I have deliberately overstated some things intentionally) have just tried to illustrate this unbalanced position.

If you are saying that with respect to Rooney/Tomlin/Colbert etc, how the eff do you know?! I think it was Pap that was saying this early in the week. There is no way for any of us to possibly know what goes on during the game on the sidelines regarding what plays are called, what audibles Ben is making, etc. Just like we have no way of knowing whether Tomlin or Rooney are blaming/challenging Lebeau to change his ways.

Now if you are talking about us posters questioning him? Well, you have some on your side. And I think probably 98% of the board has admitted they weren't happy with the defensive performance for various reasons. Maybe not always blaming Lebeau, but he leads the defense so its a refelction on him.

Oviedo
01-06-2010, 05:28 PM

Rockon

It's the only rational decision that could be made. The offense has improved year after year. If the Steelers struggle to score points next year in the red zone or struggle in short yardage situations, then I'll be the first to say Arians should go. If the offense continues to produce as it did this year and manages to improve in the red zone and short yardage the Steelers will have a top 5 offense.

This is how the Steelers have operated forever. The Steelers need more proof than a bunch of Yahoos :moon on a message board saying Arians should go and one disappointing year to actually relieve the man of his duties.

They believe in their strategy and they will not deviate, good for them, good for the Steelers, it's bad for those that need immediate gratification, fortunately, I am a patient man. :D

Pappy

All hail Pappy :Bow :Bow :Bow :Bow :Bow :Bow :Bow :Bow :Bow :Bow :Bow :Bow :Bow :Bow :Bow :Bow :Bow :Bow :Bow :Bow :Bow :Bow :Bow :Bow :Bow :Bow :Bow

Sugar
01-06-2010, 05:30 PM
I guess I just don't have any problem with this news.

IMO, the Offense did have some problems this year, but not nearly like the Defense or especially the Special Teams that cost us at least 4 games where the O scored more than the D allowed but we still lost.

Sure, BA makes a convenient whipping boy, but I don't think his being retained is remotely bad news.

papillon
01-06-2010, 05:35 PM

IMO, the Offense did have some problems this year, but not nearly like the Defense or especially the Special Teams that cost us at least 4 games where the O scored more than the D allowed but we still lost.

Sure, BA makes a convenient whipping boy, but I don't think his being retained is remotely bad news.

It's not bad news, the Steelers are going to be a good offensive football team next year. If, and this is a big if, Sweed gets his head on straight who is going to stop this offense? Only mistakes, penalties and injuries will be able to contain them, not any defense in this league. They may have a bad game or two over the course of a year, but they will be very good, again.

Lets hope the draft, Troy's health and Aaron's health improve and the defense returns to glory next year. The Steelers will be a formidable foe next season once again. The Bengals are only temporary tenants in the penthouse of the AFCN.

Pappy
Pappy

rockonsteel
01-06-2010, 05:35 PM

Rockon

Pappy

You've made it perfectly clear that he's your guy. I happen to have a problem with someone who can't/won't employ a FB, who can't make adjustment in-game and has a ridiculous penchant for calling for 5 wide sets on 3rd and 1. I;'m sorry bro, that doesn't sit well with me. Yahoo or not, I don't think that is sound football strategy. Apparently Tomlin and co. don't agree with me. Like you said, we'll see next season if we're still dealing with this same crap. I don't know what people expect to change. BA is a 50 something year old man, meaning he has been who he is for a lot of years. Do we expect a few months between seasons is gonna change him? I seriously doubt it. This just made an already bad offseason, that much worse. I'm disgusted all over again. Whatever, I have no control over this bull****.

Rockon

rockonsteel
01-06-2010, 05:41 PM
It's not bad news, the Steelers are going to be a good offensive football team next year. If, and this is a big if, Sweed gets his head on straight who is going to stop this offense? Only mistakes, penalties and injuries will be able to contain them, not any defense in this league. They may have a bad game or two over the course of a year, but they will be very good, again.

Lets hope the draft, Troy's health and Aaron's health improve and the defense returns to glory next year. The Steelers will be a formidable foe next season once again. The Bengals are only temporary tenants in the penthouse of the AFCN.

Pappy
Pappy

That would be one Bruce Arians. He was the one who stopped the offense this season, once they got inside the 20 yd. line. I expect more of the same next season.

This really puts MT in a different light for me. Along with all the empty declarations he made over the season, this just adds to it. This was a move that needed to happen. Once again MT fails to pull the trigger. I am thoroughly disappointed if true.

Rockon

Iron Shiek
01-06-2010, 05:43 PM

Pappy
Pappy

Until "Ben Arians" or "Bruce Roethlisberger" calls a qb sneak on 3rd and 1 and gets the qb injured for several weeks with yet another concussion. :stirpot :D

I agree, if Arians really has taken this offense as far as it can go, than we should expect pretty similar results to the "record-breaking" season that we had this year.

papillon
01-06-2010, 05:51 PM

Rockon

Pappy

You've made it perfectly clear that he's your guy. I happen to have a problem with someone who can't/won't employ a FB, who can't make adjustment in-game and has a ridiculous penchant for calling for 5 wide sets on 3rd and 1. I;'m sorry bro, that doesn't sit well with me. Yahoo or not, I don't think that is sound football strategy. Apparently Tomlin and co. don't agree with me. Like you said, we'll see next season if we're still dealing with this same crap. I don't know what people expect to change. BA is a 50 something year old man, meaning he has been who he is for a lot of years. Do we expect a few months between seasons is gonna change him? I seriously doubt it. This just made an already bad offseason, that much worse. I'm disgusted all over again. Whatever, I have no control over this bad word.

Rockon

He's not mt guy, they could have fired him and I'd be fine with that as well. I defended him, because, I believed it to be decidedly one sided in the criticism that was being levied against the Steeler coaching staff this year. I also believe that if you've been a fan of the Steelers for any amount of time you realize that they hold near and dear to their hearts loyalty. Neither coordinator did anything this year to warrant getting fired and neither did Mike Tomlin. It's short-sighted to look at one disappointing season and want to throw the baby out with the bath water.

The Steelers this year lost as a team from the coaching staff right down to the 53rd guy on the roster. It wasn't one person or one play, each unit had their share of issues in different games that caused the downfall of the Steelers this year.

If the offense played well, the defense gave up leads. If the defense played well the offense couldn't score against the Cleveland Browns. If the offense adn defense played well the special teams gave up TDs, had dumb penalties, etc. This was one total cluster F*** of a season by the entire team.

There were some nice individual performances, but other than Ben no one performed consistently good. Woodley started slow, Harrison slowed at the end, Hampton was up and down all year, Holmes disappeared a few times when we needed him, Mendenhall wasn't "on the details" once, we didn't get an INT by a cornerback until the 16th game of the season and so on and son.

I'm certain Arians will be instructed to fix short yardage and red zone offense. And, I'm sure Lebeau will be given similar instructions, fix 3rd and long, dont' give up TDs immediately after the offense has scored to take the lead, etc.

Ligashesky should be fired, if he isn't, that's fine to, he will be given the instruction as well, tackle better, maintain your lanes, don't give up big returns after the offense has taken the lead, don't leave it up to the kicker to make a tackle, etc., etc.

The team lost and I"m glad that offensive and defensive continuity will be there gooing into next year. They've been given a chacne lets see what they can do.

Pappy

feltdizz
01-06-2010, 06:05 PM

This is funny... because unfortunately it's true...

How does thou question Lord St. Bad word?

Flasteel
01-06-2010, 06:05 PM
This is horrible news as far as I'm concerned. Arians has sucked since day one and if he didn't have the talent on offense to constantly bail him out, it would be pretty evident to all. I guess there isn't much use in complaining since we're stuck with him for another year but I will be there each and every week next season to hammer the guy.

NW Steeler
01-06-2010, 06:13 PM
I personally wonder how much more input Tomlin will have in game planning and adjustments during the games next year? Obviously there were warts on both the offense and defense. Will Tomlin take a stand and change some of Arians' philosophy? Specifically short yardage situations, the empty backfield, and the actual use of a fullback? How about on defense? Will we see Tomlin truly put his "stamp" on this team now?

feltdizz
01-06-2010, 06:16 PM
Arians haters need to find new team to root for. Ben loves Arians.. how dare you go against Ben the almighty? Seriously... why do you guys want our QB unhappy? Half you guys were mad Heath didn't make the pro bowl. You want it all.. but really, like me, most of you want a couple more runs a game. Just remember when you are bashing someone who wants Ben to throw quicker or check down or we get mad at an INT or lack of runs...

When you are screaming "passing league" and "Ben makes things happen so be happy with a few more sacks" you guys are defending BA... Ben and BA are thick as thieves... Attached at the hip... You can't love Ben right now without loving BA...

Deal with it or find a new team. LOL!!!

isonator07
01-06-2010, 06:16 PM

Pappy
Pappy.

How about shotgun formation on nearly every 3rd down. Or empty backfield on 3rd and 2 all season long. Great we rack up yards. Great Ben has a man crush on the mole. Maybe we can run a toss to Moore on 3rd down to take us outta fg range.

The defense was disappointing this yr also. I like the 3-4 and I love our OLB's but late in the game we've been exposed. What can we do to fix it? I don't know. Could we run a 4-3 cover two when we have the lead in the fourth? I just want to see something different cause I think, same personel same scheme = same results.

Vindrow
01-06-2010, 06:19 PM
Well, another year of bad play calling and Tomlin coming out with the cliches when we lose to crappy teams. Well, maybe they will can both of them after another mediocre year.

steelerkeylargo
01-06-2010, 06:20 PM
Bitter much, Oviedo?

You can take Ty Carter, Ryan Mundy, Wille Gay and Keiwann Raitliff and put em in a 3-4, 4-3, 1-6 whatever you like they aint gonna cut it. And that my friends is not St. Lebeau's fault!!!!

aggiebones
01-06-2010, 06:22 PM
I kinda sit with Pap on this one. I would be fine with firing him if we had someone better in line. But can tolerate another look at him. I prefer a bit more running as in running minded and not passing minded. But if we weasel another Super Bowl in the next year or so, I can suffer a bit more.

As for hammering Lebeau, that's retarded. We are just coming off a no.1 rated defense in all categories except running defense when Bmore snuck in front of us on the last day, in 2008. Lebeau didn't go stupid, we just had too many changes on D and maybe he made some mistakes and needs some change for 4th quarter. But he's the same guy and the team will be back. What are you going to do, fire him? That would ignorant. Complain about their production a bit late in games if you want, but I still think that was a product of ball control issues to a degree and the D hitting the wall late in games after a long 2008 season.
I kinda am OK with giving most guys a pass for a season after they won SB#6 for us. Pretty lame to can a bunch of guys after slipping the next season. Most teams do.

frankthetank1
01-06-2010, 06:24 PM
Arians haters need to find new team to root for. Ben loves Arians.. how dare you go against Ben the almighty? Seriously... why do you guys want our QB unhappy? Half you guys were mad Heath didn't make the pro bowl. You want it all.. but really, like me, most of you want a couple more runs a game. Just remember when you are bashing someone who wants Ben to throw quicker or check down or we get mad at an INT or lack of runs...

When you are screaming "passing league" and "Ben makes things happen so be happy with a few more sacks" you guys are defending BA... Ben and BA are thick as thieves... Attached at the hip... You can't love Ben right now without loving BA...

so by your logic you also cant love or support BA without loving ben right?

Chadman
01-06-2010, 06:25 PM
Haha...it doesn't take much for the Steeler family to start turning on eachother.. :stirpot

If everyone would just stop to take a breath, calm themselves just a second- pretty sure you'll realise that this team was pretty competitive all year- but a bad run of form & a couple of key injuries really knocked the Steelers out for the season. Yes- the Steelers lost to some bad teams. But the fact they beat some good teams proves that this team isn't far away.

Ok, that said- keeping Arians on it's own isn't a great idea. But removing Larry Z shows Chadman that Coach Tomlin must be thinking the same thing as Chadman- poor OL play is really effecting how good the Steelers O can be. Also, it says to Chadman that Tomlin feels the problem isn't necessarily the Hogs in the middle- but the coaching. Chadman agrees. This line isn't physically 'right' to play Zone Blocking. they are a mauling, smash 'em up OL. Let them play like that.

Now that the Steelers look to have committed to Arians, it is on the FO to go the extra mile & commit to Arians with a few missing pieces to his Offense- a short yardage RB, a genuine 'out of the backfield' catching RB, a 2nd TE that is athletic & effective catching passes, and an OL scheme/players that can, not so much protect Ben (as we all know with the way Ben plays he'll take sacks) but will instead open holes for Mendenhall, or more importantly, get a push in the middle on those pesky 3rd & shorts.

If the Steelers get Arians all these things, and Arians STILL can't get it right- fire Arains.

feltdizz
01-06-2010, 06:35 PM
This is horrible news as far as I'm concerned. Arians has sucked since day one and if he didn't have the talent on offense to constantly bail him out, it would be pretty evident to all. I guess there isn't much use in complaining since we're stuck with him for another year but I will be there each and every week next season to hammer the guy.
You need to check your tone Flasteel... The Rooneys have spoken.

JAR
01-06-2010, 06:43 PM
Damn, Logan's radio show really is the National Enquirer.

feltdizz
01-06-2010, 06:45 PM

I was trying to make light of the issue... people are walking to the bridges on this news... They are on the edge...

I don't man love any of these dudes but I love the team. I think you are trying to imply hate for Ben on my part... If so then you are way off base. There are a few people on here who see criticism of their loved ones as hate. There are also some fans of Ben who never endured the 80's...

I'm confident in my skin criticizing any player or coach...

feltdizz
01-06-2010, 06:47 PM
The enquirer broke the Tiger story and the Edwards love child...

Logan is suspect... and KDKA better fire someone

JAR
01-06-2010, 06:49 PM

KDKA was just reporting what ESPN 1250 was saying..... They said several times, reports from ESPN 1250 and Ken Laird are saying.. that Arians will be released.

feltdizz
01-06-2010, 07:24 PM

KDKA was just reporting what ESPN 1250 was saying..... They said several times, reports from ESPN 1250 and Ken Laird are saying.. that Arians will be released.

and in a rush to be first they were wrong and look like idiots. Pittsburgh is not that big.. make a phone call.

feltdizz
01-06-2010, 07:25 PM

and in a rush to be first they were wrong and look like idiots. Pittsburgh is not that big.. make a phone call.

SteelBucks
01-06-2010, 07:33 PM
Is this it? One frickin change? What about ST?

I'm so PO'd right now I can't see straight! :HeadBanger

Pittsburgh
01-06-2010, 08:19 PM
Just when I thought he was out, they pull him back in.

NorthCoast
01-06-2010, 08:24 PM
There is a solution no one is talking about. That is, Mike Tomlin plays his role as HC and makes certain demands of Arians and how he will implement the offense. For example, put in requirements that over a certain span of games the offense should be no less the 50/50 split on run vs pass. Mike Tomlin is still the HC. He can over-ride anything Arians (or Ben) decide in the game planning process. This may, in fact, be part of a condition for Arians staying with the team....

We could certainly do worse than Arians but at least we know what we are getting going into next season.

NW Steeler
01-06-2010, 08:43 PM
There is a solution no one is talking about. That is, Mike Tomlin plays his role as HC and makes certain demands of Arians and how he will implement the offense. For example, put in requirements that over a certain span of games the offense should be no less the 50/50 split on run vs pass. Mike Tomlin is still the HC. He can over-ride anything Arians (or Ben) decide in the game planning process. This may, in fact, be part of a condition for Arians staying with the team....

We could certainly do worse than Arians but at least we know what we are getting going into next season.

That is kind of the same thing I was saying a page back. Maybe Tomlin is going to force Arians to adjust his philosophy a bit. I would like to see us be able to win a game by being either pass heavy OR run heavy.
Firing the OL coach may be part of this change. Many here have said that the talents of our oline personnel do not fit into a zone blocking scheme. What do you coach types out there think?

frankthetank1
01-06-2010, 09:08 PM

I was trying to make light of the issue... people are walking to the bridges on this news... They are on the edge...

I don't man love any of these dudes but I love the team. I think you are trying to imply hate for Ben on my part... If so then you are way off base. There are a few people on here who see criticism of their loved ones as hate. There are also some fans of Ben who never endured the 80's...

I'm confident in my skin criticizing any player or coach...

yeah but you seem to criticize ben a lot. hate is a bit strong but i just think there are a lot of steeler fans that dont appreciate ben enough. especially fans like myself who never got to see bradshaw play but i remember from mark malone on. it took so long to get an elite qb. ben does take sacks and hold the ball forever, but there is no better qb under pressure. the good out weigh's the bad by a lot. my bad though

Mister Pittsburgh
01-06-2010, 09:20 PM

I don't want that at all. We HAVE to run it so many times vs. teams???? I want an OC that can attack a teams weakness whether through the air or on the ground. I want a logical OC that can change the gameplan on the fly depending on game situations. You know, like if it is 20 degrees outside and 30mph winds you go ahead and pound the ball instead of throwing it 40+ times. That type of thing. Or you know, if in the AFCCG you threw all over your opponent in the first half cause they are missing their entire starting secondary, you go ahead and keep doing that instead of running your puny RB right at Ray Lewis expecting his first 10 failures and 1 yard gains to suddenly change.

stlrz d
01-06-2010, 09:25 PM
Worst_news_ever.

I've lost some respect for Tomlin. Not that he cares what I think (or what any of us think) but this decision has caused me to lose some respect for him. He'll earn it back if it's clear he has demanded changes in the way Arians calls a game and some of the schemes he employs.

The first time Arians runs a 5 wide empty backfield on a 3rd and short he ought to be strung up by his nuts with a 1/0 treble hook in the Golden Triangle.

http://images.cabelas.com/is/image/cabelas/s7_316153_imageset_02?$main-Large$

NW Steeler
01-06-2010, 09:34 PM

I don't want that at all. We HAVE to run it so many times vs. teams???? I want an OC that can attack a teams weakness whether through the air or on the ground. I want a logical OC that can change the gameplan on the fly depending on game situations. You know, like if it is 20 degrees outside and 30mph winds you go ahead and pound the ball instead of throwing it 40+ times. That type of thing. Or you know, if in the AFCCG you threw all over your opponent in the first half cause they are missing their entire starting secondary, you go ahead and keep doing that instead of running your puny RB right at Ray Lewis expecting his first 10 failures and 1 yard gains to suddenly change.

EXACTLY!! You can't say we are going to run this much and pass that much. You do it according to your opponents weakness. This is where Tomlin will need to put his hands on the offense, because Arians seems to go away from what is working too often, or sticking with what isn't working too often. We have the skill to be a dynamic offense. But maybe some actual, REAL tweaking to the current system will end up being better than a complete overhaul with a new OC.

Slapstick
01-06-2010, 09:36 PM
So, nobody besides me thinks that hiring a better Offensive Line Coach who will implement better blocking schemes will help the short yardage and red zone offense?

skyhawk
01-06-2010, 09:44 PM

I don't have a problem with it. Of couse if I were Zierlein, I would ask Tomlin to tell him how many teams are trying to win games with an OL filled with mid and lower round draft choices. Teams with the best OL actually invest top money or draft choices on OL players. The Steelers are trying to run an offense based on bargain basement shopping along the OL (Except for Starks of course. He managed to get a lot of money out of the Steelers).

:Clap :Cheers

NW Steeler
01-06-2010, 09:48 PM
So, nobody besides me thinks that hiring a better Offensive Line Coach who will implement better blocking schemes will help the short yardage and red zone offense?

I am hoping that you are exactly right. Are the OL's deficiencies more related to lack of talent or a bad scheme for the talent we have?

buckeyehoppy
01-06-2010, 09:55 PM

This is one silver lining in an unbelievably dark cloud. But, this also pre-supposes that Coach Tomlin chooses the right person to coach up the OL as well as the QBs.

The only way this is possibly going to work is if one of the following occurs:

* Coach Tomlin has veto power over all play calling.
* Coach Tomlin hires a QB coach or OL coach who can step in at any point in the season and assume OC duties when it is proven that BA is the cause for a $hitty offensive attack.

The most important thing to remember here is that BA is an assistant coach who is only under contract for next year. My guess is that he may assume that he is singing for his supper next year. We won a SB despite him and his offense turns around the next year and posts record numbers and still fails to qualify for the tournament.

Let's just say that Bull$hit Brucie shouldn't be looking to refinance the mortgage any time soon.

feltdizz
01-06-2010, 11:48 PM

right now... common sense and logic have been replaced by frothing anger...

In a week people will start talking about the possibilities

Slapstick
01-06-2010, 11:58 PM
We won a SB despite him and his offense turns around the next year and posts record numbers and still fails to qualify for the tournament.

Um...while I don't think Arians is the second coming of Don Coryall, I really, REALLY have a difficult time blaming him for the Steelers not making the playoffs...

SteelCrazy
01-06-2010, 11:59 PM

right now... common sense and logic have been replaced by frothing anger...

In a week people will start talking about the possibilities

The problem did not lie with the OLine coach.............come on!

This is the saddest day of 2010 so far......

rockonsteel
01-06-2010, 11:59 PM
Worst_news_ever.

I've lost some respect for Tomlin. Not that he cares what I think (or what any of us think) but this decision has caused me to lose some respect for him. He'll earn it back if it's clear he has demanded changes in the way Arians calls a game and some of the schemes he employs.

The first time Arians runs a 5 wide empty backfield on a 3rd and short he ought to be strung up by his nuts with a 1/0 treble hook in the Golden Triangle.

Bravo...My sentiments exactly!! Couldn't have said it any better.

Rockon

Slapstick
01-07-2010, 12:01 AM

I disagree...I would be much more disappointed if Arians had been fired while Zierlein kept his job...

rockonsteel
01-07-2010, 12:10 AM

I disagree...I would be much more disappointed if Arians had been fired while Zierlein kept his job...

While I don't necessarily disagree with you. I think they both needed to go. I don't think his blocking techniques work for this team. That said the o-line did improve leaps and bounds from 2008. I don't think that BA calling for 5 wides with receivers running long developing patterns while Ben faces heavy blitzes helped them out much, either. We all know Ben holds the ball too long, and many of those sacks are on him, but BA's ridiculous formations and playcalling were equally culpable. They should both be gone.

Rockon

grotonsteel
01-07-2010, 12:48 AM
Worst_news_ever.

IMO Tomlin needs to grow some balls.He is all words no action. I will be interested in seeing what he does to improve this team.

Is Tomlin waiting for someone to fire ST/DB coaches??? He should have done that by now.

I did not think Tomlin would fire BA. Tomlin loves Cheatroits offense and he would want Steelers Offense to be similar to that.

If i was Tomlin i would keep Dick Lebeau and BA on a short leash.

Slapstick
01-07-2010, 01:38 PM
IMO Tomlin needs to grow some balls.He is all words no action. I will be interested in seeing what he does to improve this team..

Keeping BA in spite of the rabid fan hate and the wishes of the Steelers FO is the very definition of balls...

feltdizz
01-07-2010, 03:53 PM
IMO Tomlin needs to grow some balls.He is all words no action. I will be interested in seeing what he does to improve this team..

Keeping BA in spite of the rabid fan hate and the wishes of the Steelers FO is the very definition of balls...

yes indeed... but did the FO really want him gone or was it from a "source" LOL!!!

The only balls it would show is Tomlin wants to upset a franchise QB with a great year and start all over from scratch.

The fans are hilarious though... they talk like Tomlin's job isn't linked to this decision.

rockonsteel
01-07-2010, 04:15 PM

yes indeed... but did the FO really want him gone or was it from a "source" LOL!!!

The only balls it would show is Tomlin wants to upset a franchise QB with a great year and start all over from scratch.

The fans are hilarious though... they talk like Tomlin's job isn't linked to this decision.

You're talking as if it's not. The very notion that he came as close to being fired as he did, should tell you that there are people more important than the members of these forums who have concerns about Arians job performance. If he had to be "saved" by Tomlin or Ben, as reported on another forum, or anybody else, means he had one foot out of the door. That;s not exactly a ringing endorsement. I hope for Tomlin's sake, this works out better next season than it did this past one. Because if Ben keeps getting killed, and they keep failing in the red zone, etc., that would put a serious stain on Tomlin's resume.

Rockon

BURGH86STEEL
01-07-2010, 05:04 PM

You're talking as if it's not. The very notion that he came as close to being fired as he did, should tell you that there are people more important than the members of these forums who have concerns about Arians job performance. If he had to be "saved" by Tomlin or Ben, as reported on another forum, or anybody else, means he had one foot out of the door. That;s not exactly a ringing endorsement. I hope for Tomlin's sake, this works out better next season than it did this past one. Because if Ben keeps getting killed, and they keep failing in the red zone, etc., that would put a serious stain on Tomlin's resume.

Rockon

Does anyone know how close he was to being fired? Ben gets killed partially because that is how he admit tingly plays. Some of the red zone issues are because the coaches don't always call good plays, the players don't execute(penalties, dropped passes, poorly thrown balls ect) when opportunities were there, and the other guys get paid too.

It is strange that someone would think Tomlin's resume will be stained at this point of his young career.

feltdizz
01-07-2010, 05:59 PM

Rockon

The same people who had BA fired had Grimm hired. They know nothing..
Don't hope for Tomlin. He made the decision, he knows..

If anyone saved BA's job though....

it was Bad Word Lebeau's DB's..

feltdizz
01-07-2010, 06:04 PM
Does anyone know how close he was to being fired? Ben gets killed partially because that is how he admit tingly plays. Some of the red zone issues are because the coaches don't always call good plays, the players don't execute(penalties, dropped passes, poorly thrown balls ect) when opportunities were there, and the other guys get paid too.

It is strange that someone would think Tomlin's resume will be stained at this point of his young career.

unless Tomlin, a Rooney or BA says it I won't believe it. These newspapers in Pittsburgh are shady.. or smart, for having different stories...