PDA

View Full Version : Is Colbert to Blame?

flippy
01-06-2010, 03:02 PM
I'm surprised no one's called out the mastermind behind putting together the Detroit Lions....Kevin Colbert.

Seriously, what's he done? Made good 1st round picks.

Beyond that, not so much.

He's drafted us talent that can't play on ST. He's drafted a mediocre OLIne. We have no D depth. We have age with no backups.

We're looking more and more like the Lions every day.

steelblood
01-06-2010, 03:34 PM
I'm surprised no one's called out the mastermind behind putting together the Detroit Lions....Kevin Colbert.

He's drafted us talent that can't play on ST. He's drafted a mediocre OLIne. We have no D depth. We have age with no backups.

Slow down and get your facts straight. When Colbert was with the Lions, they went to the playoffs 5 times in 10 years. Not great, but not the Lions of Mat Millen.

Colbert has been here since 2000. Most of this roster has been drafted since he arrived. Now, I'm not saying that I love his drafts every year (I don't), but the team has been very successful under his watch. I think we've had one losing season, several playoff appearances, and two titles.

Colbert drafted every starter on a pretty good offense except Hartwig (whom he signed as a UFA) and Hines Ward. He also put together most of last year's #1 defense. There is a lot of evidence that says that he's been a success.

RuthlessBurgher
01-06-2010, 03:39 PM
Not so much? Seriously?

Colbert built 2 Super Bowl Champion teams here. That's not enough for you?

If you remember, he worked for the Lions in the 1990's (back when the Lions made the playoffs in 5 out of 7 seasons to finish that decade). He came to Pittsburgh in 2000, and that team collapsed shortly thereafter.

People always fawn over Bill Polian in Indy, Ozzie Newsome in Baltimore, and A.J. Smith in San Diego, but Colbert has just as many Super Bowl rings as those 3 guys combined.

BURGH86STEEL
01-06-2010, 03:48 PM
Not so much? Seriously?

If you remember, he worked for the Lions in the 1990's (back when the Lions made the playoffs in 5 out of 7 seasons to finish that decade). He came to Pittsburgh in 2000, and that team collapsed shortly thereafter.

People always fawn over Bill Polian in Indy, Ozzie Newsome in Baltimore, and A.J. Smith in San Diego, but Colbert has just as many Super Bowl rings as those 3 guys combined.

I agree. Is this thread to be taken seriously?

I understand the disappointment of not making the playoffs but come on man.

Oviedo
01-06-2010, 03:55 PM
Not so much? Seriously?

I agree. Is this thread to be taken seriously?

I understand the disappointment of not making the playoffs but come on man.

Just putting forward the notion of shared responsibility and equal opportunity blame I guess.

MaxAMillion
01-06-2010, 04:33 PM
Yes Colbert gets some blame just like Tomlin gets some blame. The Steelers defense is old, with little depth on the bench (which is part of the reason the team struggled). Colbert most definitely gets some blame.

Having said that, we do have to remember that you can't win every year. Look at the Giants, Super Bowl two years ago, number one seed last year, and now they are falling apart. The Steelers have had a pretty consistent last 30 years. Most teams would kill for what the Steelers have done over that time frame.

Sometimes the Steelers will have non playoff years and they will have to make changes. We just have to accept it. Our bad year is still better than a lot of teams good years.

Mister Pittsburgh
01-06-2010, 04:57 PM
Colbert has done some great things and some horrible things. We can't run the football because our offensive line has deteriorated. Our defensive line seems to be headed down the same path. Our secondary was pathetic this season. Our ILB depth is sorry.

So there are quite a few holes in the boat right now. Lets see if/how we attempt to patch them.

Oviedo
01-06-2010, 04:59 PM
Yes Colbert gets some blame just like Tomlin gets some blame. The Steelers defense is old, with little depth on the bench (which is part of the reason the team struggled). Colbert most definitely gets some blame.

Having said that, we do have to remember that you can't win every year. Look at the Giants, Super Bowl two years ago, number one seed last year, and now they are falling apart. The Steelers have had a pretty consistent last 30 years. Most teams would kill for what the Steelers have done over that time frame.

Sometimes the Steelers will have non playoff years and they will have to make changes. We just have to accept it. Our bad year is still better than a lot of teams good years.

It is almost laughable that you blame Colbert and Tomlin but not the guy with the primary responsibility for the defense. LeBeau has the best job in the NFL. He is never held accountable for anything. It is always someone elses fault when he fails. If you don't think that LeBeau has significant input into the defensive players chosen then you are kidding yourself. The inability to replace our older veterans with talented young players falls right onto LeBeau's lap. He stubbornly refuses to modify his scheme to get younger players into the mix sooner. His fault not Colbert's or Tomlin's.

Maybe the defense is old because it is so complex it takes the equivalent length of time as medical school to learn it once it is learned you essentially become impossible to replace because our defensive cooridinator will not play young players on the defense until they know it inside and out.

Mister Pittsburgh
01-06-2010, 05:21 PM

It is almost laughable that you blame Colbert and Tomlin but not the guy with the primary responsibility for the defense. LeBeau has the best job in the NFL. He is never held accountable for anything. It is always someone elses fault when he fails. If you don't think that LeBeau has significant input into the defensive players chosen then you are kidding yourself. The inability to replace our older veterans with talented young players falls right onto LeBeau's lap. He stubbornly refuses to modify his scheme to get younger players into the mix sooner. His fault not Colbert's or Tomlin's.

Maybe the defense is old because it is so complex it takes the equivalent length of time as medical school to learn it once it is learned you essentially become impossible to replace because our defensive cooridinator will not play young players on the defense until they know it inside and out.

I agree. Green Bay installed the 3-4 just a few years ago and are a top 5 D. Clay Mathews and BJ Raji are rookies and significant parts of their D.

Kinda got to put that on Tomlin though as well as Lebeau. Who is the head coach and who is the coordinator? Just like I put heading into Cleveland in 20 degree weather and 30 mph winds and throwing 40+ times on Tomlin for not telling Arians to stick it where the sun don't shine.

Oviedo
01-06-2010, 05:26 PM

I agree. Green Bay installed the 3-4 just a few years ago and are a top 5 D. Clay Mathews and BJ Raji are rookies and significant parts of their D.

Kinda got to put that on Tomlin though as well as Lebeau. Who is the head coach and who is the coordinator? Just like I put heading into Cleveland in 20 degree weather and 30 mph winds and throwing 40+ times on Tomlin for not telling Arians to stick it where the sun don't shine.

Green Bay actually just installed the 3-4 this past off season and Clay Matthews and BJ Raji both played significantly and did well as rookies. If that is what Dom Capers can do I want him instead of LeBeau.

papillon
01-06-2010, 05:30 PM

Green Bay actually just installed the 3-4 this past off season and Clay Matthews and BJ Raji both played significantly and did well as rookies. If that is what Dom Capers can do I want him instead of LeBeau.

Our offensive coordinator exposed Matthews and Raji for what they are, rookies and hung 37 on the top 5 defense in the league. :P

Pappy

grotonsteel
01-06-2010, 05:36 PM

Very well said. :Clap :Clap :Clap

I can't believe people are blaming everyone but Dick Lebeau for the paper curtain defense.

Dick Lebeau failed to coach the players. If his schemes depend on one Safety then i think system is an utter failure.

Iron Shiek
01-06-2010, 05:39 PM
Just like I said in the other thread, you don't know what Tomlin and FO are saying to Lebeau behind closed doors.

flippy
01-06-2010, 08:15 PM
Colberts Good Picks Since He's Been Here:

00 - Plax (1), Marvell Smith(2)
01 - Casey (1)
02 - Randal El (2), Hope (3), Foote (4), Keisel (7)
03- Troy (1), Ike (4)
04 - Ben (1), Starks (3)
05 - Miller (1), Kemo (6)
06 - Holmes (1), Colon (4)
07 - Timmons (1), Woodley (2), Sepulveda (4), Gay (5)
08 - Mendy (1), DIxon (5)
09 - Ziggy (1), Wallace (3)

He's been fine with the #1s, but it's hard to find a year where we got 2 great players. We're the Steelers. We draft 4 HOFers in the same draft class. By Pittsburgh standard, Colbert could be doing better. We want to blame a lot of people, but at the end of the day, we're not deep in talent. It's only fair to look at Colbert along with everyone else.

Re: His time with the Lions, they already had Barry Sanders and the only player I remember them drafting in the 90s was Herman Moore. I also don't remember them drafting lots of great players in the late 90s to set up the Lions to be successful in the 00s. Plus was Colbert just in charge of scouting at that point in time? or did he have final say in detroit?

SteelBucks
01-06-2010, 08:47 PM

Uh, he also built two Super Bowl champions. Step away from the ledge flip.