PDA

View Full Version : The POSITIVES from this season?

SteelTorch
01-05-2010, 09:54 PM
There are a lot of threads about our shortcomings this season, but I thought it'd be good to talk about some of the things that DID go well this year. Some of mine, in no particular order:

1. Rashard Mendenhall.

I was almost ready to label this kid a bust, but he's done well in his role as a starter. i think we have our starting back for the near future.

2. Mike Wallace
Basically, he's everything Limas Sweed should have been.

3. Offensive line
Yes, they need work, but they are better than they were last year, without a doubt.

4. Big Ben.
He had a great season, IMO, even though we didn't get the wins we should have. A common knock against Ben since his first season is that he only does well because he doesn't pass as often as other QB's. Big Ben proved this season that he can pass the ball a lot, and still perform very well. (see Green Bay)

5. Lamar Woodley
He had a slow start, but he really picked up the pace in the second half of the season.

6. D-line
Despite their age, they still put in a good showing and contributed to that high-ranked run defense. But we will need replacements soon.

Those are the ones off the top of my head. Anyone have anything else? :tt2

Sugar
01-05-2010, 10:12 PM
Along with what you said about BB would be our Triple H threat- Hines, Holmes and Heath!! All had great production this year.

skyhawk
01-05-2010, 10:57 PM
There are a lot of threads about our shortcomings this season, but I thought it'd be good to talk about some of the things that DID go well this year. Some of mine, in no particular order:

1. Rashard Mendenhall.

I was almost ready to label this kid a bust, but he's done well in his role as a starter. i think we have our starting back for the near future.

2. Mike Wallace

3. Offensive line
Yes, they need work, but they are better than they were last year, without a doubt.

4. Big Ben.
He had a great season, IMO, even though we didn't get the wins we should have. A common knock against Ben since his first season is that he only does well because he doesn't pass as often as other QB's. Big Ben proved this season that he can pass the ball a lot, and still perform very well. (see Green Bay)

5. Lamar Woodley
He had a slow start, but he really picked up the pace in the second half of the season.

6. D-line
Despite their age, they still put in a good showing and contributed to that high-ranked run defense. But we will need replacements soon.

I agree with all of your points. Ben also had a good year, and was impressed with Ramon Foster later in the season. The same before Kemo before he got hurt.

That 5 game losing skid was primarily due to lack of preparation and conditioning IMO.

JTP53609
01-06-2010, 08:34 AM
stefan logan was an upgrade and sepulvada was an obvious upgrade...yet our special teams were horrible, go figure....
ben has one of the best seasons in Steeler history, Mendenhall has over 1100 yards a rookie receiver has almost 800 yds and 6 tds, the OLine plays better yet we still fail to reach the playoffs...
I think that the term "defense wins championships" is not a lie, the defense is the reason why we could not get double digit wins even with all the improvements from last year

phillyesq
01-06-2010, 10:37 AM

1. Rashard Mendenhall.

2. Mike Wallace

3. Offensive line

4. Big Ben.

5. Lamar Woodley

6. D-line

Along with what you said about BB would be our Triple H threat- Hines, Holmes and Heath!! All had great production this year.

This is a great list of positives here. After nearly a decade of wanting to see the TE involved in the offense, we got our wish, and Miller didn't disappoint.

JTP53609
01-06-2010, 11:05 AM
another positive..
The season did not go how we wanted it to, but I think that this year was the best I have seen the grass look since I can remember, the grass looked great and played great in those 3 December games, I am getting tired of hearing how Heinz is the worst surface in football, because I think it looked like some of the best grass in the leauge this year.

The grass in Carolina, Washington and Philthadelphia were all bad this year, and the grass at the Capitol One Bowl was horrendous, but no media outlet would take a dig because that is in glorious Florida

ramblinjim
01-06-2010, 11:18 AM
The O-line was better this year, the un-drafted free agent that stepped in for Kemo who's name escapes me seemed to play well.

Woodley played well towards the end of the season.

frankthetank1
01-06-2010, 11:23 AM
1. Rashard Mendenhall.

really? the guy hardly played his rookie season. how can anyone of based an opinion off of one half against the ravens?

NC Steeler Fan
01-06-2010, 11:31 AM
Hines still has a great a s s... 8)

(Sorry guys, couldn't resist! :wink: )

SidSmythe
01-06-2010, 03:55 PM
How about an overall good draft class

HOOD: got PT and made some splashes. I like his motor
WALLACE: amazing playing speed who can catch
BURNETT: He might be our next Deshea Townshend. Great pick in the 5th
JOHNSON: solid backup TE who has good upside. Got on the field often
FOSTER: Held his own. Might not be athletic enough to be a great pulling guard, but he held his own.

The verdict is still out on the other guys. Urbick, Harris & Lewis are still awaiting their verdict, but overall I think Hood & Wallace will be excellent players

Oviedo
01-06-2010, 03:58 PM
Hines still has a great a s s... 8)

(Sorry guys, couldn't resist! :wink: )

Don't you have something in the woods to go kill :wink:

steelblood
01-06-2010, 04:56 PM
I don't know if I'd include Sepulveda. He was better than what we had last year. But his avg and net average were not very good. I think he was 22nd and 20th in the league. Where is the cannon leg?

Steeler Mafia
01-06-2010, 04:59 PM
LeBeau will be back to coach our Defense. :stirpot

(Sorry....couldn't resist)

NC Steeler Fan
01-06-2010, 05:15 PM

Nah, actually huntin' season went out on the first. I can't shoot nuthin'
without doin' time for it right now... :( :wink:

I didn't get but one this year, but my husband got four so the freezer
is full of natural meat from free ranging animals who lived a wonderful
life right up to the moment they passed away; which incidentally required
on average at least 5 acres of unspoiled habitat or available vegetation
to survive.*

*Don't want to hear any chit from the PETA fanatics...

Oh, and I happen to think our O line improved DRASTICALLY this year...sure they
weren't perfect, but it's just that NO ONE should expect them to hold off defenders
for 30 minutes while Ben scans the field for someone wide open on the 5 yard line...

Oviedo
01-06-2010, 05:17 PM

Nah, actually huntin' season went out on the first. I can't shoot nuthin'
without doin' time for it right now... :( :wink:

I didn't get but one this year, but my husband got four so the freezer
is full of natural meat from free ranging animals who lived a wonderful
life right up to the moment they passed away; which incidentally required
on average at least 5 acres of unspoiled habitat or available vegetation
to survive.*

*Don't want to hear any chit from the PETA fanatics...

Oh, and I happen to think our O line improved DRASTICALLY this year...sure they
weren't perfect, but it's just that NO ONE should expect them to hold off defenders
for 30 minutes while Ben scans the field for someone wide open on the 5 yard line...

lived a wonderful
life right up to the moment they passed away;

Lead poisoning???????????? :wink:

NC Steeler Fan
01-06-2010, 05:30 PM
lived a wonderful
life right up to the moment they passed away;

Lead poisoning???????????? :wink:

Indeed.

A 243 to be precise.

Herewegosteelers!
01-06-2010, 11:41 PM
I'd put Logan as a positive as well. True, he is no Cribbs, but the punt return avg was 6.0 in '08, and he was at 9.3 this season ( a little better at least) and kick returns were at 20.3 in '08 and he finished at 26.7. I think he'll even be better in '10.

flippy
01-07-2010, 08:00 PM
Holmes played consistently well.

Troy had an all pro quarter in the first game against Ten.

Wallace was a big surprise.

Mendy looks like the real deal and he's doing it with subpar blocking.

Woodley is turning into our 3rd best defender after Troy and Aaron Smith.

And Stefan is a great find that I'd like to see more of.....

Ben put up a lot of yards, but he didn't put enough points on the board. Ben and the defense have some work to do this offseason. Our SuperBowl equation is Ben + Steelers D = Championships. The D let us down, and our QB didn't cover for them like they did for him many times in the previous season.