PDA

View Full Version : Who would be a realistic Hire for our New OC?

toddjammin
01-05-2010, 04:09 PM
I would say Chan Gailey or Mike Martz

JAR
01-05-2010, 04:12 PM
Randy Fitchner

feltdizz
01-05-2010, 04:18 PM
I have no idea.. but I will cheer for him.

steelerkeylargo
01-05-2010, 04:20 PM
Please!!!! Mark Whipple!!!!! :tt2

PSU_dropout43
01-05-2010, 04:21 PM
Ron Turner.

Slapstick
01-05-2010, 04:26 PM
Realistically?

Rip Scherer or Jeremy Bates...

Both have worked with Tomlin in the past...

Jeremy Bates was Cutler's position coach in Denver and Cutler loved him...Bates' firing was part of the reason why Cutler made it impossible to stay in Denver...Bates also worked with Tomlin in TB...

Scherer gave Tomlin his first coaching job...as QB coach, Scherer actually got a Pro Bowl season out of Derek freaking Anderson...currently the QB coach in Carolina, Scherer works with an offense that featured two 1,000+ yard rushers...oh, and Scherer is Kevin Colbert's cousin...

Steeler Mafia
01-05-2010, 04:29 PM
Please not Mike Martz! I think he is more pass drunk than Arians.

RuthlessBurgher
01-05-2010, 04:30 PM
Realistically?

Jeremy Bates was Cutler's position coach in Denver and Cutler loved him...Bates' firing was part of the reason why Cutler made it impossible to stay in Denver...Bates also worked with Tomlin in TB...

Scherer gave Tomlin his first coaching job...as QB coach, Scherer actually got a Pro Bowl season out of Derek freaking Anderson...currently the QB coach in Carolina, Scherer works with an offense that featured two 1,000+ yard rushers...oh, and Scherer is Kevin Colbert's cousin...

:Agree

I wouldn't be surprised if both were interviewed.

feltdizz
01-05-2010, 04:31 PM
Realistically?

anyone Cutler loves I want no part of.. that guy is all personal stats and losses.

papillon
01-05-2010, 04:31 PM
I don't believe this is the team to give a guy his first OC job. He won't be able to have any control over Ben at all. They are going to need someone who has been in the wars, been successful and can stand up to Ben if need be. I'm not saying this in a bad way about Ben, but in a more pragmatic way. He's won two SBs and passed for 4,000 yards this year a novice or first time OC will not be able install his offense.

Pappy

SteelBucks
01-05-2010, 04:32 PM

Could you imagine the Greatest Show on Turf offense in Pittsburgh.....in December?

RuthlessBurgher
01-05-2010, 04:34 PM

Could you imagine the Greatest Show on Slop offense in Pittsburgh.....in December?

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/images/200801/20080120wap_turf0120e_330.jpg

Slapstick
01-05-2010, 04:34 PM
I don't believe this is the team to give a guy his first OC job. He won't be able to have any control over Ben at all. They are going to need someone who has been in the wars, been successful and can stand up to Ben if need be. I'm not saying this in a bad way about Ben, but in a more pragmatic way. He's won two SBs and passed for 4,000 yards this year a novice or first time OC will not be able install his offense.

Pappy

I concur...

Personally, I wouldn't mind Scherer as the OC and Bates as the QB coach...

phillyesq
01-05-2010, 04:57 PM
I would say Chan Gailey or Mike Martz

Ron Turner.

Please no to either Martz or Turner.

Chan Gailey would be great, but I'd be shocked to see it happen.

steelernation77
01-05-2010, 05:01 PM
No effin way Martz gets hired.

birtikidis
01-05-2010, 07:30 PM

Could you imagine the Greatest Show on Turf offense in Pittsburgh.....in December?
Not only can i imagine it but i saw it. 42 passes against cleveland and 49 against green bay in december?

stlrz d
01-05-2010, 09:38 PM
Realistically?

That has a nice ring to it. :D

Flasteel
01-05-2010, 09:40 PM
Chan Gailey is my overwhelming choice to bring in. I also like the idea of bringing back Whipple.

One good thing about missing the playoffs is getting the first crack at potential candidates. The Texans will be looking for an OC once Kyle Shanahan joins his paps in DC and they are a pretty attractive option. The Bears less so but Buffalo could be a problem. What if Cowher starts to assemble a staff to make a run at the Bills HC job? No doubt he'd try to get Gailey on board.

We better hurry up and make a move if we're going to.

Shoe
01-06-2010, 03:36 AM
anyone Cutler loves I want no part of.. that guy is all personal stats and losses.

Haha...
Just because Cutler is an overrated turd, anyone by association isn't worth a crap?

RuthlessBurgher
01-06-2010, 10:45 AM
I liked Chan when he was with us in the mid-90's, but for whatever reason, I am not all that interested in recycling him again (or even Whipple for that matter), although I do want to bring Bobby April back for a second time around. It's not logical...just what my gut is telling me for some reason. Weird.

MeetJoeGreene
01-06-2010, 11:39 AM
I, personally, would love to see Mularky back - but I don't think that is realistic.

Or Norv after he gets fired for going out in the first round again - but I don't think that is realistic.

I would be "OK" with Whipple - not thrilled, but OK.

The dilema is as follows:

Do we want someone that is a bright, up-and-comer that may be great, but use it for 2 years as a stepping stone to a HC spot? Or do we want someone that is a proven OC and good offensive mind that perhaps failed as a HEAD COACH and recognizes their true OC calling (like Bad Word is as DC).

frankthetank1
01-06-2010, 11:49 AM
how about charlie weiss :lol: :lol:

papillon
01-06-2010, 12:08 PM
I, personally, would love to see Mularky back - but I don't think that is realistic.

Or Norv after he gets fired for going out in the first round again - but I don't think that is realistic.

I would be "OK" with Whipple - not thrilled, but OK.

The dilema is as follows:

Do we want someone that is a bright, up-and-comer that may be great, but use it for 2 years as a stepping stone to a HC spot? Or do we want someone that is a proven OC and good offensive mind that perhaps failed as a HEAD COACH and recognizes their true OC calling (like Bad Word is as DC).

I like the proven and realization that they are an OC. Not because, I'd hate to have to hire another in a few years, but, because, of Ben. He needs someone that will be able to stand up to him and say "that won't work", "we need to try this", etc. I'm fearful a first time OC would just not be fodder for Ben.

Pappy

feltdizz
01-06-2010, 12:49 PM
Funny how most OC's being mentioned are the old ones we remember... yet when they were here I bet half the board hated them.

I don't think any OC's outside of the one with Neil ODonell would work with Ben. These other guys had to be creative with bad/subpar QB's and great RB's and great OL's...

papillon
01-06-2010, 01:43 PM
Funny how most OC's being mentioned are the old ones we remember... yet when they were here I bet half the board hated them.

I don't think any OC's outside of the one with Neil ODonell would work with Ben. These other guys had to be creative with bad/subpar QB's and great RB's and great OL's...

Everyone wants a new OC, but what happens when the new guy ignores the tight end, doesn't utilize Mendy in the passing game, fails to incorporate Wallace into the offense, relies too heavily on the run, etc. At this point I'd like for the Steelers to give Arians the chance to fix the warts his offense has, short yardage conversions and red zone offense. I believe he's earned the right to try and complete the offense he's started,

Lebeau is getting another chance to redeem himself for not having people ready to step in. Arians should get a similar chance to correct what is obvious to everyone.

Pappy

Slapstick
01-06-2010, 01:56 PM
Lebeau is getting another chance to redeem himself for not having people ready to step in. Arians should get a similar chance to correct what is obvious to everyone.

Pappy

LeBeau had people ready to step in...they just played really poorly...

feltdizz
01-06-2010, 02:23 PM

Pappy

LeBeau had people ready to step in...they just played really poorly...

and there is the rub....

looking back it's clear we were in every game except the Bungles and Cleveland game the second time around.

It's almost juvenile to spend this much energy on the best phase of our team last year..

ST and D need major attention.