PDA

View Full Version : Hot from Press Conference-Coaching changes

Oviedo
01-05-2010, 01:18 PM
Ken Anderson is retiring.

Tomlin hasn't had individual meetings with rest of staff yet.

JAR
01-05-2010, 01:20 PM
anything on Ben's shoulder? During he post game show on Sunday, Tunch said it could be a significant injury.

papillon
01-05-2010, 01:21 PM

I'm not sure that he was worth having around anyhow, he was the ultimate check down quarterback and Ben is the ultimate big play quarterback. If Anderson taught him anything, I'm not sure what it was.

Pappy

Oviedo
01-05-2010, 01:22 PM
anything on Ben's shoulder? During he post game show on Sunday, Tunch said it could be a significant injury.

Just said no details but doesn't appear to "need medical procedure"

RuthlessBurgher
01-05-2010, 01:22 PM
Interesting. It's already on his wiki page "On January 5, 2010, Mike Tomlin announced that Anderson would be retiring, effective immediately."

MeetJoeGreene
01-05-2010, 01:25 PM

I'm not sure that he was worth having around anyhow, he was the ultimate check down quarterback and Ben is the ultimate big play quarterback. If Anderson taught him anything, I'm not sure what it was.

Pappy

We learned that Ken Anderson in not the Irresistable Force.

Oviedo
01-05-2010, 01:29 PM
Oooooooh. Tomlin just got really testy when asked for the unpteenth time about the defense without Smith and Troy. Said there is a standard and he doesn't care who gets injured. It doesn't effect the fact they have to win.

JAR
01-05-2010, 01:32 PM
Anderson is only retiring because he wants to go root for the Bungles in the play offs.. :)

bostonsteeler
01-05-2010, 01:32 PM

So there's your scapegoat.

Stuff..

JAR
01-05-2010, 01:33 PM

Just said no details but doesn't appear to "need medical procedure"

They were saying in the post game that if the Steelers make the play offs, Ben probably wouldn't be playing.. Hopefully it's just a strain or a sprain or something insignificant.

feltdizz
01-05-2010, 01:41 PM

Pappy

I think Ben made big strides in the check down dept... before it wasn't even an option unless he was halfway sacked..

checking down a little is still a lot compared to the past.

SteelCzar76
01-05-2010, 01:42 PM
Oooooooh. Tomlin just got really testy when asked for the unpteenth time about the defense without Smith and Troy. Said there is a standard and he doesn't care who gets injured. It doesn't effect the fact they have to win.

Yeah i've heard him (Tomlin) say this before,...."The Standard is the standard.". :Blah But why does he not seem to comprehend that "You can have Ferrari and Caviar standards all day. But if you only have Ford focus and Bologna money,...your gonna come up quite a bit short". (ie: HIS personnel decisions draft and otherwise)
:lol:

JAR
01-05-2010, 01:44 PM
Charlie Batch, new QB coach????

calmkiller
01-05-2010, 01:44 PM
Is he having a PC right now?

JAR
01-05-2010, 01:46 PM
QBs coach Anderson retires
Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Steelers quarterbacks coach Ken Anderson retired from coaching after 33 seasons in the NFL as a player and coach.

Anderson just finished his third season with the Steelers.

http://www.steelers.com/article/116731/

Mel Blount's G
01-05-2010, 01:46 PM
Hardly even newsworthy :roll:

Oviedo
01-05-2010, 01:48 PM

Yeah i've heard him (Tomlin) say this before,...."The Standard is the standard.". :Blah But why does he not seem to comprehend that "You can have Ferrari and Caviar standards all day. But if you only have Ford focus and Bologna money,...your gonna come up quite a bit short". (ie: HIS personnel decisions draft and otherwise)

In a salary cap league you can't have 53 Ferraris in the garage. To thoink anyone in this league does is an unrealistic statement just to put forth a personal agenda or position.

phillyesq
01-05-2010, 01:48 PM

That could make a lot of sense, but I think it could be difficult to transition from teammate to coach with the same group. I'd love to see somebody brought in from the outside with Batch as the assistant QB coach.

feltdizz
01-05-2010, 01:56 PM

That could make a lot of sense, but I think it could be difficult to transition from teammate to coach with the same group. I'd love to see somebody brought in from the outside with Batch as the assistant QB coach.

Batch hasn't been anything more then a coach the last 2 years anyway...

and lets be honest, Ben probably learned all he could from KA in one day... all he said was "check down a little more and you will be fine."

SteelCzar76
01-05-2010, 02:13 PM

In a salary cap league you can't have 53 Ferraris in the garage. To thoink anyone in this league does is an unrealistic statement just to put forth a personal agenda or position.

I said Ferrari and Caviar in terms of the "Standard". But to stay with your train of thought here O,....Of course it's impossible to have an entire roster of Ferrari's,...but one can most certainly refrain from attempting to cop a Ford Focus with nearly every selection "just to put forth a personal agenda or position".

An agenda or position that is driven by an ego and or will to prove that one can win without very much talent because one is such a great coach that all they need are players whom are as "ordinary as a bowl of grits" as football players as he (Tomlin) was in college.

feltdizz
01-05-2010, 02:20 PM

I said Ferrari and Caviar in terms of the "Standard". But to stay with your train of thought here O,....Of course it's impossible to have an entire roster of Ferrari's,...but one can most certainly refrain from attempting to cop a Ford Focus with nearly every selection "just to put forth a personal agenda or position".

An agenda or position that is driven by an ego and or will to prove that one can win without very much talent because one is such a great coach that all they need are players whom are as "ordinary as a bowl of grits" as football players as he (Tomlin) was in college.

saying Tomlin has an agenda or position driven by ego makes it obvious you take his selections personally like he is out to get you...

Timmons is fine, Mend is fine, Woodley is fine and Hood is fine...

if anything Tomlin hasn't plugged some of the younger guys earlier to replace some aging vets...

BURGH86STEEL
01-05-2010, 02:32 PM

Everybody knows the backup players are not as good as Troy and Smith. I think he made that comment because he wants the backups to know and play up to the standards. He also wants the backups to know he has confidence in them if they made the team.

What is he supposed to say, the season is over because we lose Troy, Ben, or any other player? I think it is the right approach to take.

SteelCzar76
01-05-2010, 02:40 PM

saying Tomlin has an agenda or position driven by ego makes it obvious you take his selections personally like he is out to get you...

Timmons is fine, Mend is fine, Woodley is fine and Hood is fine...

if anything Tomlin hasn't plugged some of the younger guys earlier to replace some aging vets...

Diz,.. i have never lumped Wood in with Tomlin's "grits" boys. As i have said at length quite awhile ago, he (Wood) was a absoloute Colbert selection along the lines of the prototype of OLB he (Colbert) always drafted under Coach Cowher.

As far as how succesful this team will be if Tomlin continues to get his way in April every season,...let's just say that we'll just agree to disagree. And sit back and watch things unfold as you, i and every other member of the Nation had to do this season.

ikestops85
01-05-2010, 03:03 PM
Diz,.. i have never lumped Wood in with Tomlin's "grits" boys. As i have said at length quite awhile ago, he (Wood) was a absoloute Colbert selection along the lines of the prototype of OLB he (Colbert) always drafted under Coach Cowher.

As far as how succesful this team will be if Tomlin continues to get his way in April every season,...let's just say that we'll just agree to disagree. And sit back and watch things unfold as you, i and every other member of the Nation had to do this season.

Why is your perception that Tomlin calls the shots in the draft room? My guess is Colbert has been pulling the strings there since Cowher left. There is no way the Rooneys let a rookie coach take over the draft for the Steelers. So my feelings are these "grits boys" as you call them are in Colbert column and not Tomlin's.

proudpittsburgher
01-05-2010, 03:11 PM

Everybody knows the backup players are not as good as Troy and Smith. I think he made that comment because he wants the backups to know and play up to the standards. He also wants the backups to know he has confidence in them if they made the team.

What is he supposed to say, the season is over because we lose Troy, Ben, or any other player? I think it is the right approach to take.

:Agree No one wants to hear excuses, and coach Tomlin isnt't allowing for any. People are well aware that losing Troy and Aaron Smith were a huge reason we aren't preparing for our opponent on a bye week in the playoffs while the rest of the teams are playing on the first weekend. But it doesn absolutely no good for anyone to whine and cry about it. He is right, no matter who we lose, the goal should always be to win the game. Period.

birtikidis
01-05-2010, 06:58 PM
I've personally loved all of Tomlins pics. actually, I still think it's way too early to judge any of them.
I know I was drooling when Mendy was there. Sweed too. hell they were both supposed to be gone in the 1st round before we even picked.
you're not gonna get a superstar at #32 in the draft, and Hood was our biggest need.
Timmons, was a beast at FSU. I loved this pick. has it taken longer than I'd like for him to make the transition from the 43 to 34 and from college to pros? yea it sure has. but I can think of a long line of linebackers that had to sit and learn before they were shown a starting opportunity.

feltdizz
01-05-2010, 07:18 PM
I've personally loved all of Tomlins pics. actually, I still think it's way too early to judge any of them.
I know I was drooling when Mendy was there. Sweed too. hell they were both supposed to be gone in the 1st round before we even picked.
you're not gonna get a superstar at #32 in the draft, and Hood was our biggest need.
Timmons, was a beast at FSU. I loved this pick. has it taken longer than I'd like for him to make the transition from the 43 to 34 and from college to pros? yea it sure has. but I can think of a long line of linebackers that had to sit and learn before they were shown a starting opportunity.

If Sweed could catch I would say our first 2 rounds have been pretty good. Logan too