PDA

View Full Version : Kunitz out 4-6 weeks

Pittsburgh
01-05-2010, 01:09 PM
Now is the time that I would bring up Caputi, put him on one of the top two lines and see what he brings to the table...

Penguins' Kunitz to have surgery, will miss 4-6 weeks
Tuesday, January 05, 2010
By Dave Molinari, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Penguins left winger Chris Kunitz will undergo surgery to repair a torn abdominal muscle tomorrow in Philadelphia, and is expected to be out four to six weeks.

Dr. William C. Meyers will perform the surgery.

Kunitz, 30, has six goals and 14 assists in 30 games.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10005/10 ... z0bl61IDL3 (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10005/1025899-100.stm#ixzz0bl61IDL3)

Jigawatts
01-05-2010, 05:05 PM
I've heard nothing but good things about Caputi, but haven't really seen any of his work.

Ruthless, what's your scouting report?

Could this be a "blessing in disguise?"

Pittsburgh
01-05-2010, 06:29 PM
I'm excited to see the kid back up here. He was up here briefly for five games last season and scored a goal in his first game and on his first shift. His bread and butter is playing around the net, something our forwards do not do nearly enough. I would love to see him on the power play for that reason alone. I can't count how many times we shoot the puck from the point, only to see four defenders gain control of the rebound and clear the zone.

Eitherway, having Caputi up here can't be any worse than having to watch Kunitz, Fedotenko, Kennedy, Talbot and Dupuis fail time after time to contribute while playing on one of the top two lines, which brings me to my next point. If the Penguins are going to start calling up these younger kids, play them on the top two lines. Don't bring them up and throw them on a fourth line with zero offensive talent. They have been guilty of doing this in the past on a number of occasions. If you are going to bring up what you consider your top prospects, play them with your top talent.

IMO, throw Caputi on a line with Malkin and keep him there.

RuthlessBurgher
01-05-2010, 07:51 PM
I haven't seen too many games in Wilkes-Barre this season, but Caputi is leading the team in goals (and power play goals), and it is goals that we are lacking in Pittsburgh right now. However, he only has 12 assists to go along with his 13 goals, and he is a minus-4 on the season.

By contrast, the two guys ahead of him in points, Dustin Jeffrey (10 goals and 28 assists) and Mark Letestu (11 goals and 20 assists) each have a plus-12 rating this year. But Caputi does have a NHL-ready body (6'3" 200 lbs). The only forward we have that is physically more imposing is the guy that came with Kunitz in the Whitney trade, Eric Tangradi (6'4" 225 lbs), but he is not ready for prime time just yet. I think both Caputi and Tangradi can be power forwards in Pittsburgh in time.

Caputi will be on Malkin's wing tonight, by the way. I picked him in the Extra Attacker game tonight in the hopes that he can duplicate his first game, first shift, first shot goal when he was brought up last season.

Pittsburgh
01-06-2010, 09:39 AM
And last night is the reason why I'm excited to see the kid back up here and getting a chance to play with legitimate talent. He scored a goal, drew a penalty, showed good positioning, made smart decisions with the puck that did not hurt the team and had no problem throwing the body around. It was also nice to see Bylsma work him in on the PP later on in the game.

Don't change a thing with him. Keep him on Malkin's line and put him in front of the net on the first PP unit.

"LUUUUUUUUU!!!" :D

Jigawatts
01-06-2010, 01:08 PM
Impressive showing last night by Caputi.

What was even more impressive were the breasts on the women sitting directly behind
both head coaches. :shock: I was hoping for more close-ups, but it just wasn't my day. :(
:lol: :lol:

RuthlessBurgher
01-06-2010, 05:11 PM

What was even more impressive were the breasts on the women sitting directly behind
both head coaches. :shock: I was hoping for more close-ups, but it just wasn't my day. :(

I guess I wasn't paying much attention when they showed Bylsma, but that white sweater behind John Anderson was difficult to miss. :mrgreen:

:Boobs

Jigawatts
01-06-2010, 05:52 PM

I guess I wasn't paying much attention when they showed Bylsma, but that white sweater behind John Anderson was difficult to miss. :mrgreen:

The Bylsma set was first, followed up by the Anderson set not to long after. Of course,
I made a point to mention them to my wife, since she spent half the game drooling over
her new favorite player, Luca Caputi. :D

Pittsburgh
01-07-2010, 03:34 AM
Penguins' Caputi impresses in season debut
Thursday, January 07, 2010
By Dave Molinari, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

You probably know about Luca Caputi's goal.

It was the one that gave the Penguins a 4-2 lead -- and some desperately needed breathing room -- in their 5-2 victory against Atlanta Tuesday night.

The one that was rooted in a marvelous effort by Evgeni Malkin.

That one that purged any lingering tension Caputi was feeling about playing in the NHL for the first time this season.

But as important as that goal was to both Caputi and his team, it hardly was the only thing about his game that made a favorable impression on his bosses.

Coach Dan Bylsma said yesterday he liked Caputi's puck management and his work along the boards in the defensive zone. He also pointed out that Caputi tied for the team lead with four hits, which Bylsma called "a good way to set the tone for playing the right way," and drew a penalty.

Much of what Caputi did is not the kind of stuff that gets a guy into the highlights but does tend to be noticed by the people who put together line combinations and hand out ice time.

Which is why Caputi, who played on a line with Malkin and Ruslan Fedotenko against the Thrashers, can expect to get some more work there when the Penguins face Philadelphia at 7:38 tonight at Mellon Arena.

That could change if the unspecified injury that kept Fedotenko from practicing yesterday prevents him from playing tonight, but Bylsma said he anticipates starting the game with that line intact, even though Mike Rupp might get some work there in the game.

Caputi logged 14 minutes, 14 seconds of playing time against Atlanta, which might have been more than Bylsma anticipated using him.

"He was reliable," Bylsma said. "He earned more ice time because of that."

Caputi got most of that work in a top-six role, which could be a daunting assignment for a 21-year-old with just five previous NHL games on his resume.

But assistant coach Tony Granato, who works with the forwards, believes Caputi's age is a non-issue.

"Your age doesn't matter if you deserve an opportunity," Granato said. "The way the game is played, you need young legs and energy, and this is a guy our organization thinks very highly of. He's going to get an opportunity to do something."

Caputi scored into a basically open net after Malkin followed up a spectacular rush by keeping the puck in play while lying on his stomach.

While the goal won't go down as the most memorable of Caputi's career, it did underscore his knack for getting into scoring positions.

Caputi has to get to those areas if he's going to be effective and productive at this level. He operates in the high-traffic areas of the offensive end, hanging around the net and doing the dirty work that makes so many goals possible.

"He's not the prettiest guy out there," general manager Ray Shero said. "He's good in traffic. He's good down low. He's good around the net. He goes to the net. He does all those things and makes smart little plays."

Caputi did that often enough with the Penguins' minor league team in Wilkes-Barre that he scored 13 goals before being promoted. That success, coupled with his five-game stint here last season, made Tuesday's game a bit less stressful than his first trip to the NHL had been.

"I don't think I was as nervous [as last year]," he said. "But the first couple of shifts, it took me a while to get settled in and get to my game."

Caputi is getting this opportunity because Chris Kunitz needed surgery to repair a torn stomach muscle, but that doesn't mean he's headed back to the Baby Penguins when Kunitz returns. If Caputi consistently plays the way he did in the Atlanta game, he could claim a permanent place on the NHL depth chart.

"You like to see young guys come in and add something," Granato said. "And [Tuesday] night, he added something."

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10007/10 ... z0buSjgQJB (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10007/1026414-61.stm#ixzz0buSjgQJB)

RuthlessBurgher
01-07-2010, 11:09 AM

The Bylsma set was first, followed up by the Anderson set not to long after. Of course,
I made a point to mention them to my wife, since she spent half the game drooling over
her new favorite player, Luca Caputi. :D

Caputi's breasts aren't all that impressive. :lol:

Pittsburgh
01-07-2010, 02:53 PM
In other Penguin injury related news, it looks like Sarge is coming back tonight...

It appears likely that defenseman Sergei Gonchar will play tonight when the Philadelphia Flyers visit Mellon Arena. Gonchar took part in practice and looked fine.

The availability of Ruslan Fedotenko and Max Talbot could be in question after they missed practice Wednesday. Coach Dan Bylsma said both players were undergoing "maintenance days," which sometimes simply means a day of rest but also could indicate an injury.

Fedotenko crashed into the Atlanta net late in Tuesday's 5-2 victory. After the game, he seemed OK.

"I got hurt when I fell into the net," he said. "But it's no big deal. I'm fine."

Talbot was believed to be a healthy scratch Tuesday. He has only one goal in 20 games since returning from shoulder surgery.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... 61046.html (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/s_661046.html)

Jigawatts
01-07-2010, 03:34 PM
In other Penguin injury related news, it looks like Sarge is coming back tonight...

It appears likely that defenseman Sergei Gonchar will play tonight when the Philadelphia Flyers visit Mellon Arena. Gonchar took part in practice and looked fine.

The availability of Ruslan Fedotenko and Max Talbot could be in question after they missed practice Wednesday. Coach Dan Bylsma said both players were undergoing "maintenance days," which sometimes simply means a day of rest but also could indicate an injury.

Fedotenko crashed into the Atlanta net late in Tuesday's 5-2 victory. After the game, he seemed OK.

"I got hurt when I fell into the net," he said. "But it's no big deal. I'm fine."

Talbot was believed to be a healthy scratch Tuesday. He has only one goal in 20 games since returning from shoulder surgery.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... 61046.html (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/s_661046.html)

I was wondering about Max. I don't recall anyone mentioning him being a healthy
scratch on Tuesday. Maybe he had a commercial to film.

Pittsburgh
01-07-2010, 04:10 PM

I have to wonder if it has more to do with him having zero goals in his last fourteen games this season and one over his last twenty? What I find even more worrisome is that I don't even notice him over the course of a game. He is nonexistant out there.

He was benched for two straight games back in mid-December and did not respond to the message sent by Bylsma. I gave him a pass during his first couple of games back from his injury, but that ship has sailed and it's time for him to start stepping up and contributing.

RuthlessBurgher
01-07-2010, 04:32 PM
I was wondering about Max. I don't recall anyone mentioning him being a healthy scratch on Tuesday. Maybe he had a commercial to film.

Bylsma is giving him the superstar treatment again.

http://pics.livejournal.com/debrisslide/pic/00014bya

Jigawatts
01-07-2010, 04:35 PM

I have to wonder if it has more to do with him having zero goals in his last fourteen games this season and one over his last twenty? What I find even more worrisome is that I don't even notice him over the course of a game. He is nonexistant out there.

He was benched for two straight games back in mid-December and did not respond to the message sent by Bylsma. I gave him a pass during his first couple of games back from his injury, but that ship has sailed and it's time for him to start stepping up and contributing.

I can't remember what game it was, maybe Tuesday or Wednesday of last week. But it was
probably in the 2nd or 3rd period when I said, "is Talbot playing today?" Sure enough he
was in there, but like you said, wasn't very noticeable.

RuthlessBurgher
01-07-2010, 07:25 PM

I can't remember what game it was, maybe Tuesday or Wednesday of last week. But it was
probably in the 2nd or 3rd period when I said, "is Talbot playing today?" Sure enough he

When Max first came up, he had a Polamalu-like Tasmasian-devil effort about him (not that he had Troy-level ability, he just seemed to be a whirling dervish out there on the penalty kill, flying all over the place like Troy does on the football field). He's been my favorite player since arriving in Pittsburgh (he can't hold a candle to the likes of Crosby or Malkin in terms of actual importance, obviously, but I tend to lean toward guys who came through the minors in Wilkes-Barre before hitting the big time...instead of getting an 87 or 71 like everyone else, I bought a throwback blue #25 Talbot last year). Now, you wonder if his Cup-clinching goals in game 7 are making him start to believe that this "superstar" persona that he has created is reality? He better smarten up before I officially name Alex Goligoski my favorite former W-B/S Penguin and current Pittsburgh Penguin (speaking of which, where did that electrifying Goligoski from earlier in the season go-go?)

D Rock
01-07-2010, 11:17 PM

When Max first came up, he had a Polamalu-like Tasmasian-devil effort about him (not that he had Troy-level ability, he just seemed to be a whirling dervish out there on the penalty kill, flying all over the place like Troy does on the football field). He's been my favorite player since arriving in Pittsburgh (he can't hold a candle to the likes of Crosby or Malkin in terms of actual importance, obviously, but I tend to lean toward guys who came through the minors in Wilkes-Barre before hitting the big time...instead of getting an 87 or 71 like everyone else, I bought a throwback blue #25 Talbot last year). Now, you wonder if his Cup-clinching goals in game 7 are making him start to believe that this "superstar" persona that he has created is reality? He better smarten up before I officially name Alex Goligoski my favorite former W-B/S Penguin and current Pittsburgh Penguin (speaking of which, where did that electrifying Goligoski from earlier in the season go-go?)

agreed...I prefer to pick a role player as a jersey to buy too

I've picked my pony, and his name is Tyler Kennedy.

Pittsburgh
01-08-2010, 01:00 AM

I'm not sure what's wrong with the guy, but he may want to lay off the commercials and focus on playing hockey. Two goals in game seven of the SC finals will only get you so far in my opinion.

Don't get me wrong, I like his personality and attitude, but unfortunately we are not paying Talbot for his personality. If that were the case, we would still have Ian Moran and Steve McKenna on the roster.

As I stated in a different thread dealing with Talbot, I'm not expecting him to score 25-30 goals a year, but he hasn't done jack since game seven of the cup finals. At the very least, if you are not going to score a goal from time to time when given the chance to play next to one of the best players in the league, at least contribute in other area's of the game.

Jigawatts
01-08-2010, 02:55 PM

agreed...I prefer to pick a role player as a jersey to buy too

I've picked my pony, and his name is Tyler Kennedy.

I'm not really a hockey jersey wearing kind of guy, but I wanted one of those black
t-shirts with the logo on front and players name on the back. My wife was doing some
last minute Christmas shopping and got me a Kennedy shirt instead of Talbot because
the store was sold out of Talbot (probably because he's a super star).

I also like Kennedys style. You can tell when he's on the ice because he's not gliding
on his skates, he's digging in. Kennedy is what I would call a pest, and I like that.

I also love being at a game when he scores. "That's aaaa goal by Ty-ler Kennedy... Kennedy."

I'll wear my Kennedy t-shirtproudly. :D

RuthlessBurgher
01-11-2010, 10:59 AM
I like the way Kennedy is able to dig in to the corners and cycle the puck with the best of them on the 3rd line with Staal and Cooke.

I like the way Kennedy lived up to his word by wearing that gawd-awful moustache for a month after losing the shootout tournament at practice.

I like the way Kennedy will shoot the puck from anywhere in the offensive zone, not necessarily to score a goal himself, but to try to generate juicy rebounds for his linemates to capitalize on.

I like the way Kennedy has the most distracting nostrils this side of Patrick Ewing.

:D

Pittsburgh
01-14-2010, 12:27 PM
And just like that, Caputi was out of the lineup last night. Bylsma decided to put a blockbuster line together consisting of Ruslan Fedotenko, Evgeni Malkin and Max Talbot. Then people wonder why Malkin is struggling to produce goals and appears frustrated out there (Ron Cook). It's really not that hard to figure out when all you have to do is look at who's on his wings.

I'm not exactly sure what they expect from a 21 year old kid who has had limited experience at the pro level, but I'm more than willing to give Caputi a legitimate shot over a number of the wingers on this roster at this point in time. Outside of Guerin, I have not been impressed with our wingers when it comes to producing goals. They may be doing other things right, but when you are playing on the top two lines, you have to score goals. I'm not expecting or stating that Caputi to be "the answer" to our problem on the wings, but if you are going to bring the kid up at least give him a real shot instead of sitting him already.

What some fans and the organization apprently fail to realize is that not every kid we draft will come in and produce like Evgeni Malkin or Sidney Crosby. A good majority will be a work in progress, particularly one who was taken in the fourth round (111th overall). My suggestion when it comes to Caputi, either play him on one of the top two lines and keep him there or send him back down to WBS instead of letting him rot in the press box.

RuthlessBurgher
01-14-2010, 01:33 PM
I think Caputi should be back in the lineup again tonight, and likely back on Malkin's wing. They wanted to dress Godard against his former team, since Calgary has more fighting majors than any other team in the NHL, and a physical game was expected. They had to scratch somebody to make room for Big Eric, so they scratched the kid Luca.

I'm glad that they are starting Lovejoy over Skoula.

Pittsburgh
01-14-2010, 03:24 PM
I would have scratched Talbot or Fedotenko over Caputi since they wanted to make room for Godard.

I guess it's easier for Bylsma to scratch a young kid who won't complain over a 30 year old Fedotenko who has troubles taking a pass let alone finding the back of the net or a fan favorite like Max Talbot who hasn't scored a goal in 18 games.

RuthlessBurgher
01-14-2010, 03:46 PM
On the positive side, Fleury looked good last night (37 saves) and they are finally trying to mix things up on the awful power play. I understood using Malkin on the blue line early in the season when 5 of our top 6 defensemen were hurt at the same time, but now that Gonchar, Goligoski, and Letang are all fine, I don't know why they continued to play Geno out there for so long. It was refreshing to see him playing on the wall instead.

Pittsburgh
01-14-2010, 10:41 PM
Hell of a come back victory last night. I can't say that we are playing great hockey, but I'm just happy to see us gain some ground in the standings considering how we have been playing lately. The Flyers, Devils and Rangers all lost last night.

Thank God for Fleury stepping up after a very tough late-December/early-January and it's also nice to see Kennedy wake up and put a few pucks behind the net over the last two games instead of banking on Guerin, Staal and Crosby for all of our offensive production.

And as pretty much expected, Caputi got the scratch for a second straight game and Fedotenko missed some pretty feeds from Malkin last night. Frustrating to watch. The line combined for zero points.