Round 2 CB Brandon Ghee from Wake Forest 6 Foot 190 LB's
Round 3 ILB Daryl Washington from TCU 6 Foot 2 234 LB's
Round 4 OT Sam Young from Notre Dame 6 Foot 8 320 LB's
Round 5 DE Jeffrey Fitzgerald from Kansas State 6 Foot 4 280 LB's
Round 6 RB Legarrette Blount from Oregon 6 Foot 1 240 LB's
Round 7 DT Cam Thomas from North Carolina 6 Foot 3 328 LB's

grotonsteel
01-04-2010, 09:55 PM
I would stay away from Taylor Mays in Rd 1. He is horrible in coverage and has no ball skills.

IMO Taylor Mays = Anthony Smith a.k.a KillSwitch

I would go with

Rd1 - Earl Thomas S/CB, Texas
Rd2 - Dan Williams NT, Tenn

steelerkeylargo
01-04-2010, 10:55 PM
Man you guys are off with your asessments young is a third rounder....blount a third rounder and Dan Williams a first rounder.....lets get it together boys!!

steelblood
01-04-2010, 11:38 PM
Man you guys are off with your asessments young is a third rounder....blount a third rounder and Dan Williams a first rounder.....lets get it together boys!!

Young may go in the third round, but he is turrible. His pass pro is among the worst in this draft class. Not an upgrade over Colon. In fact, I think his pass protection will be much worse as a pro.

steelblood
01-04-2010, 11:39 PM
Round 1 FS Taylor Mays 6 Foot 3 235 LB's
Round 2 CB Brandon Ghee from Wake Forest 6 Foot 190 LB's
Round 3 ILB Daryl Washington from TCU 6 Foot 2 234 LB's
Round 4 OT Sam Young from Notre Dame 6 Foot 8 320 LB's
Round 5 DE Jeffrey Fitzgerald from Kansas State 6 Foot 4 280 LB's
Round 6 RB Legarrette Blount from Oregon 6 Foot 1 240 LB's
Round 7 DT Cam Thomas from North Carolina 6 Foot 3 328 LB's

What is your plan for NT? Are we franchising Casey?

NW Steeler
01-05-2010, 01:06 AM
So no one is going to say "that is an excellent mock draft"?

:moon

Oviedo
01-05-2010, 08:39 AM
I would stay away from Taylor Mays in Rd 1. He is horrible in coverage and has no ball skills.

I would go with

Yours make much more sense but unlikely Williams lasts until pick #19 in Round 2.

We could also go DL in Round 1 and get some good safeties in Round 2, e.g. Darrell Stuckey, Nate Allen.

Unfortunately this draft will not provide any quick help at the CB position. But I guess it isn't hard to get a CB to play 10 yards off the receiver?

Mister Pittsburgh
01-05-2010, 08:46 AM

I would go with

Agreed on Mays. He is terrible. Incredible overall 'athlete', but not much of a FS. Coverage skills are horrendous. Horrible angles on the field. Bad judgement.

calmkiller
01-05-2010, 09:02 AM

that is an excellent mock draft

stlrz d
01-05-2010, 09:53 AM

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=10057 (http://planetsteelers.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=10057)

papillon
01-05-2010, 10:09 AM
I don't want to rain on anyone's parade, but I believe that Colon will be extended. The Steeler coaching staff and front office seem to be content with Colon and they've made mention of this fact. They have said that he is as talented as any right tackle in the league or something to that effect.

The Steelers have locked up 3/5s of the current line with extensions, I believe they'll be looking to make it 4/5s and potentially upgrade right guard or believe that Stapleton will return and anchor that position.

Starks: 4 years, 26.3 million signed through 2012
Kemo: 5 years, 20 million signed through 2013
Hartwig: 4 years, 10 million signed through 2012

Colon will probably get a 5 year deal to stagger the contracts expiring. That would keep 4/5s of the line together through 2012 and that wouldn't be a bad thing, IMO.

Pappy

MeetJoeGreene
01-05-2010, 10:49 AM
That is truly a well thought out mock draft that merits praise and compliments!

calmkiller
01-05-2010, 10:58 AM
I don't want to rain on anyone's parade, but I believe that Colon will be extended. The Steeler coaching staff and front office seem to be content with Colon and they've made mention of this fact. They have said that he is as talented as any right tackle in the league or something to that effect.

The Steelers have locked up 3/5s of the current line with extensions, I believe they'll be looking to make it 4/5s and potentially upgrade right guard or believe that Stapleton will return and anchor that position.

Colon will probably get a 5 year deal to stagger the contracts expiring. That would keep 4/5s of the line together through 2012 and that wouldn't be a bad thing, IMO.

Pappy

So your saying that Essex was a problem at RG? I thought he did a great job...

RuthlessBurgher
01-05-2010, 11:01 AM

A fresh spin on an old classic! Kudos!

MeetJoeGreene
01-05-2010, 11:04 AM

The excellent line has run its course. This is my new one. I probably will change the line every year now.

SteelCzar76
01-05-2010, 11:04 AM
I like the idea of Haden, Mays, or trading back a little and taking Kyle Wilson in the first. And again,... for those whom correctly state that Mays needs work in coverage,...remember the same was true of Troy coming out of school and he seems to have developed quite nicely in that respect.

Oh and Anthony Smith,.....was not an exceptional athlete. (ie: he suffered in coverage mostly as a product of a lack of speed and transitional ability)

RuthlessBurgher
01-05-2010, 11:05 AM

The excellent line has run its course. This is my new one. I probably will change the line every year now.

That is an excellent idea (or at least a well thought out idea that merits praise and compliments) :wink:

grotonsteel
01-05-2010, 06:11 PM

I would go with

Yours make much more sense but unlikely Williams lasts until pick #19 in Round 2.

We could also go DL in Round 1 and get some good safeties in Round 2, e.g. Darrell Stuckey, Nate Allen.

Unfortunately this draft will not provide any quick help at the CB position. But I guess it isn't hard to get a CB to play 10 yards off the receiver?

If Dan Williams is a 1st Rd player then i would go with this

Rd1 - Terrence Cody, NT Alabama
Rd 2 - Nate Allen, FS, USF

I would prefer Steelers get a mid-range FA CB. Anyone should be better than William Gay.

Chadman
01-05-2010, 06:44 PM
Anyone got any first-hand looks at the Kentucky boys-S Darrell Stuckey, ILB Micah Johnson & CB Trevard Lindley?

All 3 sound pretty decent & could fit within the Steelers ranges in Rounds 2 through to 4. Add in a DOMINANT NT (It's got to be Cody, despite people's fear's about his weight) & you have really upgraded the D rather quickly.

TallyStiller
01-05-2010, 08:52 PM
I know it's rank homerism, but... just curious... anybody see my boy Patrick Robinson play in the Gator Bowl against WVU? In the same series, the broadcasters were talking about Noel Devine's unbelievable speed as Robinson ran him down from behind in the open field, then were talking 2 plays later about how WVU's freshman RB's nickname is "Baby Bus" and what a load he is at 235 pounds while Patrick stood him up in a goal line situation and turned him away... basically a cb beating a fb in a board drill! Got some skills, even if they can't coach up a D down here anymore.

fordfixer
01-06-2010, 12:20 AM

That is an excellent idea (or at least a well thought out idea that merits praise and compliments) :wink:
Or how about? "Oh no it's not time for this crap again" :lol:

Shoe
01-06-2010, 03:41 AM

Pappy

As slow-witted (as it applies to football) a collection of football players as you can find surely.

BTW, I agree that Mays is a bigger, better Killswitch. He wouldn't be terrible, cuz he'd certainly LIGHT guys up. And Polamalu *when healthy* can cover up his deficiencies. But as said, he isn't a complete player by any means. And big Safeties like this (and ones that play as reckless as Mays does) don't last long.

RuthlessBurgher
01-06-2010, 10:40 AM

Or how about? "Oh no it's not time for this crap again" :lol:

http://www.jesseshunting.com/photopost/data/555/not_this_crap_again.jpg

steelblood
01-08-2010, 05:58 PM
I like the idea of Haden, Mays, or trading back a little and taking Kyle Wilson in the first. And again,... for those whom correctly state that Mays needs work in coverage,...remember the same was true of Troy coming out of school and he seems to have developed quite nicely in that respect.

Oh and Anthony Smith,.....was not an exceptional athlete. (ie: he suffered in coverage mostly as a product of a lack of speed and transitional ability)

Unless we are moving troy to FS, I think Mays may be a bad move. Every time I watch him play I think his best two positions would be SS and 4-3 OLB.

grotonsteel
01-09-2010, 11:45 AM

Unless we are moving troy to FS, I think Mays may be a bad move. Every time I watch him play I think his best two positions would be SS and 4-3 OLB.

I am not a big fan of Taylor Mays. He very well could be playing 4-3 OLB in NFL.

I hope Al Davis makes a move on him.

grotonsteel
01-09-2010, 11:55 AM
One player to look out for is Ras-I Dowling , CB , Virginia...I won't take him at #18 maybe he is available in Rd 2

Scouting Report:
# Strengths: Elite height and body frame for a corner
# Can run stride for stride with receivers down field
# Shows burst to close
# Knack for jumping routes; instinctive
# Physical on line of scrimmage; nice hands
# Very athletic
# Great feet and balance
# Takes proper angles in run support
# Fluid hips
# Comfortable in press coverage
# Shows awareness in zone
# Mirrors receivers well
# Highly competitive
# Will take on a block

Weaknesses:
# Lapses in concentration
# Could improve form tackling
# A little too high in backpedal
# Must locate ball more precisely; might lack some vision
# Occasionally looks sluggish coming out of breaks

Summary: Dowling has the physical traits to be a starting corner in the NFL and I love his competitive attitude. However, he needs better coaching at the next level, and if someone can perfect his technique, he could be a playmaker. Looks like a first-round talent.

Player Comparison: Ike Taylor. Taylor and Dowling have great size, athleticism, and the competitive attitude you love to see.

Has anyone seen Donovan Warren, CB Michigan play this season???

The only Michigan game i watched was against Buckeyes. Michigan somehow produces good CB. I would not mind Steelers going after him in Rd 2 if he is available.

SteelCzar76
01-09-2010, 12:55 PM
One player to look out for is Ras-I Dowling , CB , Virginia...I won't take him at #18 maybe he is available in Rd 2

Scouting Report:
# Strengths: Elite height and body frame for a corner
# Can run stride for stride with receivers down field
# Shows burst to close
# Knack for jumping routes; instinctive
# Physical on line of scrimmage; nice hands
# Very athletic
# Great feet and balance
# Takes proper angles in run support
# Fluid hips
# Comfortable in press coverage
# Shows awareness in zone
# Mirrors receivers well
# Highly competitive
# Will take on a block

Weaknesses:
# Lapses in concentration
# Could improve form tackling
# A little too high in backpedal
# Must locate ball more precisely; might lack some vision
# Occasionally looks sluggish coming out of breaks

Summary: Dowling has the physical traits to be a starting corner in the NFL and I love his competitive attitude. However, he needs better coaching at the next level, and if someone can perfect his technique, he could be a playmaker. Looks like a first-round talent.

Player Comparison: Ike Taylor. Taylor and Dowling have great size, athleticism, and the competitive attitude you love to see.

Has anyone seen Donovan Warren, CB Michigan play this season???

The only Michigan game i watched was against Buckeyes. Michigan somehow produces good CB. I would not mind Steelers going after him in Rd 2 if he is available.

Dowling is returning to VA.