PDA

View Full Version : OT: Bobby April Fired

Steeler Mafia
01-04-2010, 02:47 PM
Guess who may be starting an offseason in Buffalo?

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d8157f3e1&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true

RuthlessBurgher
01-04-2010, 03:04 PM
We should bring the Bills ST coach, Bobby April, back for a second go-around in the Burgh after the inevitable Ligashesky & Amos Jones exodus.

phillyesq
01-04-2010, 03:06 PM
According to PFT, the Bills fired their entire coaching staff, including Bobby April. I'm not sure if it will happen, but I'd love to see him replace Ligashesky.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/01/04/bills-fire-entire-coaching-staff/

SteelBucks
01-04-2010, 03:13 PM
We should bring the Bills ST coach, Bobby April, back for a second go-around in the Burgh after the inevitable Ligashesky & Amos Jones exodus.

:Agree

Sugar
01-04-2010, 03:43 PM
I'd love to get Bobby in the Burgh. IMO, ST's were the biggest reasons why we aren't playing next weekend.

proudpittsburgher
01-04-2010, 04:20 PM
I'd love to get Bobby in the Burgh. IMO, ST's were the biggest reasons why we aren't playing next weekend.

Honestly, I think our fourth defense (most notibly the secondary) gets that honor. That being said, April did call for the suprise onsides that coach cowher tries getting all the credit for, and I always liked bobby april, so I'm all for it.

aggiebones
01-04-2010, 04:28 PM
Honestly, I think our fourth defense (most notibly the secondary) gets that honor. That being said, April did call for the suprise onsides that coach cowher tries getting all the credit for, and I always liked bobby april, so I'm all for it.

- OK April called for them, but how many others did Cowher say no to?
Maybe April called the 5 successful ones, but did he call for 100 and Cowher said no 95 times.
I'm not a Cowher over-supporter, but I think this is too big of a pat on the back for April.

buckeyehoppy
01-04-2010, 04:46 PM

YES!!!

grotonsteel
01-04-2010, 04:51 PM
Hire him ASAP.......

ikestops85
01-04-2010, 04:52 PM
I've got my votes in for Bobby April as Special Teams Coach and Chan Gailey as O-Coordinator.

Damn, Christmas is over :cry:

RuthlessBurgher
01-04-2010, 04:54 PM
I've got my votes in for Bobby April as Special Teams Coach and Chan Gailey as O-Coordinator.

Russian Christmas is this week. Is anyone here Russian? SteelCzar, perhaps? :lol:

grotonsteel
01-04-2010, 04:58 PM

I would like to add Jeremy Bates as QB coach

RuthlessBurgher
01-04-2010, 05:02 PM

I'll take him as the O.C.!!!

grotonsteel
01-04-2010, 09:24 PM

I'll take him as the O.C.!!!

I would not mind seeing him as Steelers O.C.

papillon
01-05-2010, 01:17 AM

Russian Christmas is this week. Is anyone here Russian? SteelCzar, perhaps? :lol:

I am Eastern Orthodox, but not Russian and will be celebrating Christmas Thursday.

Pappy

Iron Shiek
01-05-2010, 09:27 AM

I am Eastern Orthodox, but not Russian and will be celebrating Christmas Thursday.

Pappy

Hey! Me too Pap!

proudpittsburgher
01-05-2010, 10:13 AM

- OK April called for them, but how many others did Cowher say no to?
Maybe April called the 5 successful ones, but did he call for 100 and Cowher said no 95 times.
I'm not a Cowher over-supporter, but I think this is too big of a pat on the back for April.

Believe me, I am a Cowher supporter to the hills. I may actually be considered a Cowher over-supporter at times. But I think the thing that rubbed me the wrong way about it was how much BC went on and on in his conversation with the official caught on camera during a break in the game where he kind of took credit for the call. The official just said hell of a call, or something to that effect, and it was ultimately Bill's call, but I don't see him recommending it. Sure, the result of the play falls on BC, but you can clearly hear the conversation with April on the sideline where April asked him for it, Cowher thought it over, and made the call. I just didn't like him seemingly taking the credit for the call. Doesn;t matter, I will still be a Cowher supporter through and through.

Starlifter
01-05-2010, 04:11 PM
bobby april was the assistant head coach in buffalo. he'd need to be that here as well for him to consider the move. I think that would be an excellent decision and I would enjoy being able to type the initials BA in a positive light.....

proudpittsburgher
01-05-2010, 04:21 PM

Pappy

Hey! Me too Pap!

Great grandma is straight from Russia, so I celebrated Russian Christmas every year growing up. And as Grandma always said, "Always snows on Russian Christmas"

RuthlessBurgher
01-05-2010, 04:32 PM
bobby april was the assistant head coach in buffalo. he'd need to be that here as well for him to consider the move. I think that would be an excellent decision and I would enjoy being able to type the initials BA in a positive light.....

If we were trying to hire him away from Buffalo, then we would need to give him a promtion. But since Buffalo fired its entire coaching staff, we could hire him to be anything.

papillon
01-05-2010, 04:33 PM

Pappy

Hey! Me too Pap!

Great grandma is straight from Russia, so I celebrated Russian Christmas every year growing up. And as Grandma always said, "Always snows on Russian Christmas"

Merry Christmas ProudPittsburgher!

Pappy

papillon
01-05-2010, 04:34 PM

Pappy

Hey! Me too Pap!

Merry Christmas Iron Shiek!

Pappy

Starlifter
01-05-2010, 10:57 PM

If we were trying to hire him away from Buffalo, then we would need to give him a promtion. But since Buffalo fired its entire coaching staff, we could hire him to be anything.

I agree and I'm aware of the rules. My point was regardless of the rules I doubt he would simply accept being just the ST coach.

rockonsteel
01-06-2010, 12:37 AM

I agree and I'm aware of the rules. My point was regardless of the rules I doubt he would simply accept being just the ST coach.

They could jazz up the title and hire him as the ST Coordinator, which has a loftier ring to it than, ST coach. Oh, and of course, hit his pockets up real nice like. I would love to see him back on the Steelers sideline.

Rockon

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
01-06-2010, 09:24 AM
First...I am really surprised no move has been made with Bob Ligashesky & Amos Jones. Some coaches don't give up that many TD on returns in their careers let alone one season. So saying that...It is puzzling to me why these two have been employed the last three days and why April hasn't been anounced as the new STC.

I'm thinking the Anderson retirement was the "respectful" way for Anderson to be shown the door. I want to throw something out here. I'm wondering if Jim Zorn would be looking for a QBC role or maybe an assistant OC job. Zorn has a connection with Colbert & Batch. He really had no OC experience because he was promoted to HC in a month. I think he would be a good fit and bring some experience in the QB coaching (Batch & Hasselback) & some offensive scheme. I have said recently I would have no problem with Arians sticking around another year if you give him an assistant. I was thinking more on the line of a guy like Curtis Johnson, WR coach from the Saints. I would feel pretty good about Arains sticking around and bringing in Jim Zorn as QB coach / Assistant OC.

Larry Zierlein should also be on the list of coaches to go. The Steelers OL really can improve with a good technician being brought in. I'm not sure who is out there but we will have to see what happens. Maybe a guy like Harry Hiestand, the offensive line coach the bears just let go of. He is a local guy, born in Malvern. Offensive comparison: Bears 3.9 YPA & 28 Sacks allowed 2008 - 4.0 YPA & 35 Sacks allowed 2009. Steelers 3.7 YPA & 51 Sacks allowed 2008 - 4.2 YPA & 50 Sacks allowed 2009. I would think he is an upgrade.

I'm interested to see what Tomlin does with "his coaches" he brought in. There are deficiancies in those areas and Tomlin needs to step up and make the changes. Nothing wrong with your coaches you hired being unsuccesful...As long as you make the change quickly.

RuthlessBurgher
01-06-2010, 10:37 AM

John Mitchell already has the title of assistant head coach here, though.