PDA

View Full Version : Who Are You Rooting For in the Playoffs?

flippy
01-04-2010, 11:45 AM
I'm not sure who I'm rooting for just yet, so I'd like to get your thoughts on who you like and who you dislike and why. Here's my thoughts on the 12 playoff teams.

AFC

1. Indy - By the time they play their first game, they won't have won in a month. They've over rested their team imho and since they tanked against the Jets, I hope they're 1 and done.

2. SD - The hottest team in the NFL right now. Everyone wrote them off early in the season. But they did a nice job of turning it around and they're on an 11 game win streak. They even won against the Redskins with their backups. I like that kind of makeup in a team. Starters or backups, they are just winning. I may be inclined to root for them in the post season. Out of all the teams in the postseason, I like SD's QB the best.

3. NE - * They are cheaters and I have no respect for Bellichick or any member of this organization. I loathe Baltimore, but I will root for them to destroy and humiliate the Pats.

4. Cincy - Marvin Lewis is a good coach and I like what he's done here. He's taken chances on a lot of guys the league gave up on and deserves credit for turning many young men around. This team has been through a lot this season and makes me want to root for them. But I hate the Bengals. And I don't like the fact that they got blown out in Week 17 by the team they'll play in the first round of the playoffs.

5. Jets - I have mixed feelings about this team. I like their defensive style. I think Revis is the best defender in the NFL. I like their running game. And I might be able to root for a rookie QB to win a SuperBowl. And I even like how passionate their coach is. I'd be very psyched up for this team if I was a Jets fan. But I don't like how they fired Mangini because of Brett Favre's collapse. He built a solid team and they should have had some more patience with the guy imho. That soured me a bit on this team.

6. Baltimore - As much as I hate this team, I respect them for the way they play and bring it every Sunday. I'm leaning toward rooting for our most hated rival to enhance our rivalry. Is it crazy that my inital thought is to pull for Baltimore?

NFC

1. NO - Losing 3 in a row and then getting a week off means this will be the coldest team entering the playoffs. I don't like it and I don't think Brees is a playoff QB that can win a SuperBowl. I'm a big believer in the NFL being streaky and think the Saints are on the wrong kind of streak.

2. Minny - This is a great team, but I hate the Favre hype machine. I have too much respect for the Green Bay franchise to allow myself to root for this team. I think Favre sucks for leaving Green Bay and trying to get back at them by going to their #1 rival. It would be like Ben going to play for Baltimore. Yuck!

3. Dallas - Another team I hate, but Romo is fun to watch. Jerry Jones said they spent a lot of time in the offseason working with Romo to eliminate mistakes and find the balance between making plays versus making mistakes and I think it's starting to pay off. This is 1 of 3 rematches of week 17 contests in which the underdog blew out their opponent. I really don't like the strategy of letting a team you're gonna play beat you so badly the week before you face them in the playoffs.

4. AZ - Whiz has turned this franchise around from the worst to a perennial contender. It's gonna be hard not to root for these guys. I'm thinking they will be my team of choice because of the Pittsburgh connection and the turn around of the franchise.

5. GB - One of the great franchises in NFL history. I'd put them #2 behind the Steelers as the best of all time. People in WI are a lot like us and I'd like to see them get a shot at beating Minny. WI is good people making this an easy team to root for. But they play AZ in round 1. I'm not sure who to root for. On a positive note, they didn't lay down like GB in week 17.

6. Philly - I can't think of a reason to root for them. I'm so glad the city of Philly doesn't get a home game. Their fan base is made up of the scum of the earth and no team is less deserving of a home game. After hearing the story of a young fan getting killed at a Phillies game last year, I will always root against Philly teams. The place is so bad, I think MLB, NFL, and NHL should force them to sell their teams to another city. Philly doesn't deserve to have any sports team. F Philly.

Ghost
01-04-2010, 11:53 AM
I have to admit - unless I'm sitting around my house with nothing to do; I won't be going out of my way to watch the playoffs. The only team that matters isn't playing.

I do hope NE, Cincy, and Balt all lose in the AFC. In the NFC I want to see the Phillips/Romo 'we lost again' faces, I hope Favre loses immediately, and knowing Eagles fans are miserable is always a bonus.

NW Steeler
01-04-2010, 11:56 AM
The Chargers are certainly the hottest and I agree that they will be the team to beat in the playoffs. But I can't root for them cuz' Rivers just gets under my skin. That dude is seriously obnoxious. The kind of player that you love if he is on your team (maybe) and HATE him if he's not.
In the NFC, I was thinking Philly, but after the way they tanked it yesterday, I can't see it. Same with Arizona. I will root for Zona', but Dallas certainly seems to have put it together at the right time.
I don't think that Indy or NO make it to the SB.
On a side note, it is actually depressing talking about all the other teams in the playoffs. I hate years like this!

:cry:

RussBII
01-04-2010, 12:11 PM
I have to admit - unless I'm sitting around my house with nothing to do; I won't be going out of my way to watch the playoffs. The only team that matters isn't playing.

I do hope NE, Cincy, and Balt all lose in the AFC. In the NFC I want to see the Phillips/Romo 'we lost again' faces, I hope Favre loses immediately, and knowing Eagles fans are miserable is always a bonus.

I'll watch every dang playoff game. I love playoff football. Granted it's MUCH better with the Steelers in it, but I still love it too much not to watch it.

Here are my priorities for the playoffs:
-Dallas gets knocked out, i don't want to share our "Six" thing with them.
-Cinci goes one and done - I'd love that. I have a lot of bengals fans giving me a lot of crap
-Baltimore beats NE then loses - Two birds, one (or is it two?) stones.

I really want to see Green Bay beat Minnesota as well.

Everything else, meh. It'd be nice to see NO get a SB, but I don't care all that much about it...

phillyesq
01-04-2010, 12:19 PM
My soon to be father-in-law is a Jets fan, so I'm going to be pulling for them. I like that they have a power football team built on running and defense. Kind of like the Steelers in the pre-Tomlin era.

I realize that the Jets are an unrealistic choice, but I can't stand the rest of the AFC. Obviously, I'd like to see the Cheaters and Ravens eliminated, as well as the Bengals. I don't care for the Colts or Chargers either, but I suppose that they're the lesser evils. Blech.

In the NFC, I suppose I'll pull for Whiz and the Cards. I'm rooting against the Eagles, Favre, and the Cowboys. I'm kind of indifferent about the Saints. As long as the Eagles lose, I'll be happy. Few things bring more joy to me than seeing the Eagles fail.

MeetJoeGreene
01-04-2010, 12:51 PM
I am rooting AGAINST teams in the following order:

1 Dallas
1 New England
(Tie for these 2. If they play each other I will hope for the end of the world).

3. Bengals - Division scum
4 Ravens - Division scum

5 Cardinals - Don't want the "shoud've hired Whiz" tools to come out again.

6 Phil - Can't standy Philly fans
7 JETS - can't stand New York Fans

I am left with Indy, SD, NO, GB, Minn

The only one out of that group that invokes no offensive feelings in me is Green Bay.

So I will go for them.

Starlifter
01-04-2010, 01:05 PM
like most, i rank my teams starting with those I hate the least......

NO
Ind
GB

ahhhh, who am I kidding. I hate them all. If NO won I would be ok with that, they're no threat to long-term greatness. Same with Indy. Once Peyton retires you'll never hear from them again.

no bungles, no rats - one and done makes me happy
no cards for the reasons above. screw whiz....
no eagles cause I'm a rush limbaugh fan
no cowbows cause well - duh. they're the cowboys
no pats cause I love the fact they haven't won a SB since spygate
Jets would be interesting but c'mon. Indy gave them the playoffs. one and done
no SD cause Norv is a loser, I can't stand seeing him on HD and phillip rivers is a punk
no Min cause they gave childress a contract extension and it wasn't tied to brett favre's longevity.

SuperSize
01-04-2010, 01:15 PM
Green Bay

SteelAbility
01-04-2010, 01:22 PM
I am rooting AGAINST NE (top priority) and then DAL (to keep us alone at the top with 6 titles). Other than that I don't have much preference. I'd like to see LT get a title as well as McNabb. Wouldn't mind seeing AZ win either.

NC Steeler Fan
01-04-2010, 01:35 PM
Well, even thougth I am normally an AFC fan 100%, I can tell you who I do NOT want to win it.

az: All we'll hear is how it "should have been two in a row" and I agree
with the anti-whisenhunt comments

patsies*: 'nuff said

ratbirds: 'nuff said

indy: enough with the manning media darlings already

cowgirls: puh-leese, and let jerry jones think he's brought magic with
that horrendous monument to himself he built?

Who can I pull FOR and why?

NO: well, they got that whole Katrina resurrection thing still going, oh, and the
"ain'ts" from way back...it wouldn't hurt so much if they won.

eagles: I'd actually like to see McNabb win one just for all the chit he
put up with from TO those years ago. I don't have a hatred of all things
philly developed yet, so that one's okay by me. Plus, it'd be two Pennsylvania
teams winning it back to back.

cincy: I actually "could" pull for them if they went all the way. I know it sounds
blasphemous, but better them than the ratbirds to rep the AFC North if we can't
do it, eh?

chargers: Well, it would put Ben in the elite QB class of 2004 like someone mentioned
a few weeks ago. Plus, they're on the west coast, so who cares? Well, I suppose
you Steeler fans who live there and have to hear about it...

The others? I am ambivalent about them...if Favre wins, we'll never hear the end of it. But, then again, they might replace brady's face on the back drop of NFL Network with Brett's if he wins it...that might be worth it alone! :lol:

phillyesq
01-04-2010, 01:44 PM

I can assure you that would change if you spent any time living amongst the Eagles fans. :lol: :lol:

Iron Shiek
01-04-2010, 02:00 PM
Green Bay

Ditto. They are probably the team I despise the least. I'd like to see them go all the way I suppose. I predict they take out the Colts in the SB. It just seems like GB is pretty well rounded team, they can run if they want to or pass at will, and they have a nice defense that can even score if needed to. Thats my outta left field pick.

MeetJoeGreene
01-04-2010, 02:34 PM

I can assure you that would change if you spent any time living amongst the Eagles fans. :lol: :lol:

Right on bro. I live in central PA - which has a lot of Eagles fans.
I don't mind the Eagles (the team) and I wish I could root for them, but their fans are so over-the-top rude, I just can't.

steelblood
01-04-2010, 02:36 PM
I like the Jets. They play old fashioned football. They don't have much of a chance, but I'd like to see them do well.

I like New Orleans. Great city, good guys on the team. Drew Brees is all class and really fun to watch. But, I wonder if they have enough defense to win.

papillon
01-04-2010, 02:37 PM
The only team that matters isn't playing, so, I don't know how much of the playoffs I'll actually see.

I don't root for any team or against any team, it's not relevant, since, #7 isn't happening this year.

Pappy

flippy
01-04-2010, 02:42 PM
This is really hard when I read and think about many of your responses.

There's a couple dimensions:

1. Hate (We pretty much hate a lot of teams)

2. Respect (We pretty much don't respect many teams)

3. Douchiness of Fan Base (They are all douches, otherwise, they'd be Steelers fans)

4. Winning's Impact on the Steelers (positive or negative)

And it's like we're all sorta working backward on these dimensions.

I'm just trying to avoid the depression that comes at the end of football season. Somehow I'm pretending in my own mind that we're still in this somehow.

Maybe Godell could disqualify Indy and the Pats from the playoffs for not competing and cheating. And then we're in by default.

I keep thinking about that 9-7 record and figure someone miscalculated the tiebreaker or miswrote the rules or something.

JTP53609
01-04-2010, 02:45 PM
i dont mind the saints, packers or vikings....other than that, I hate every other nfl team left in the playoffs especially the cowboys, pats, eagles and rats...

SteelCzar76
01-04-2010, 02:49 PM
Who am i rooting for in the playoffs ? I'd have to say the same player i have been rooting for since he was dissecting nearly every secondary he ever played in college,....Philip Rivers.

ColumbusSteelerFan
01-04-2010, 02:50 PM
For me, if my team's out of the playoffs, I normally go for the team that has the most Michigan players on their roster. This year, there are three teams with three (Bungals, Cheats, and the Jets), but I won't go for any of those this year. I'd be just fine if Michigan's last Heisman Trophy winner (that's Charles Woodson of the Packers for those that don't know) got a SB ring finally. MVP just like Desmond Howard did would be nice too! :lol:

RussBII
01-04-2010, 03:50 PM
Who am i rooting for in the playoffs ? I'd have to say the same player i have been rooting for since he was dissecting nearly every secondary he ever played in college,....Philip Rivers.

I had NCSU season tickets while he was in Raleigh for a year or two. I loved him then, I absolutely hate him now...

SteelAbility
01-04-2010, 03:52 PM
Wouldn't it be poetic justice if the NYJ first beat CIN and then IND? I would TOTALLY LMAO if that happens. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sugar
01-04-2010, 04:04 PM
Wouldn't it be poetic justice if the NYJ first beat CIN and then IND? I would TOTALLY LMAO if that happens. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

That would be funny indeed and I would LMAO too!

I don't mind the Packers, Vikings, Chargers, Cardinals, Saints or Jets. It would be cool to see teams that we beat advance though.

aggiebones
01-04-2010, 04:25 PM
I had this discussion already today with a friend. Its a weird season to look for a team to root for. Here's my backwards approach to find a team by eliminating teams first:

12 Dallas - we all know why we aren't rooting for them. Many reasons, I'm sure you have one.
11 Bengals - can't have this
10 Indy - I normally would ride this horse, but I hate the way they threw away a shot at history when they only had to play another quarter against the Jets and then beat Buffalo.
9 Philly - fanbase is pathetic
8 Pats - not a Bill B fan. Cheated us abit.
7 Cardinals - I don't like the way they take our players. Don't want Wizz followers to be vindicated. Warner is a Hall of Famer and that is why they win. Solid D is built after years of top draft picks.
6 Chargers - Rivers is punk and GM is an ass. No reward for them.
5 Jets - a friend is a Jets fan and roots against the Steeler since I'm a fan. They are copying 3-4 so competing for our talent base in drafts.
4 Ravens - I respect them, but that's as far as it goes.
3 Minn - I have no dislike for Favre and appreciate their team
2 N.O. - Wife is from La and they have a fun team and N.O. needs it.
1 GB - I root for Aaron Rodgers after he had to take heat for Favre's ignorance

grotonsteel
01-04-2010, 05:06 PM
No one...i don't give a $hit who wins the SB..as long as they are not Cheatroits/Cowgirls/Colts.

in fact i would love to see Colts get knocked out in 1st playoff game they play. Colts fan should ask for refund for that Jets game...

Wolfhound45
01-04-2010, 07:19 PM
Being a native of Louisiana, the sentimental choice would be the Saints. They are due. Really do not like anyone else in the NFC field. Absolutely despise the Cowboys.

Really cannot pull for anyone from the AFC. Anticipate that the Chargers will make it to the Super Bowl.

Hoping for a Saints-Chargers Super Bowl and a victory by the Saints.

stlrz d
01-04-2010, 11:16 PM
The Saints.

That's it...that's the list.

Ok, it wouldn't bug me if the Eagles won, but out of respect for my Steelers brethren who live amongst the Eagles fan base I won't pull for them...even though a few of them have revealed that they'd be ok with the Cheeseheads winning it all...knowing that I live in a place that is all Packers all_the_damn_time.

For those who said the Jets...remember who their coach is:

http://www.ravensgab.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/rex-ryan.jpg

and where he came from:

http://sports.popcrunch.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/rex-ryan-new-head-coach-of-the-new-york-jets.jpg

Root for the Jets...nevermore....

BATMAN
01-04-2010, 11:53 PM
I would like to root for the Chargers but their QB is just too assnine.

Never for the Cheats, Bengals or Ravens. I have to go with the Colts.

Never the Cowboys and after that, I really don't care. Would be nice to see the Vikes, Eagles or Saints get a win.