PDA

View Full Version : 18th pick, I think

steelblood
01-04-2010, 10:54 AM
I think we'll have the 18th pick in the draft. New this year, all playoff teams will pick after non-playoff teams regardless of record. That leaves us in a three way tie with the Falcons and Texans for slots 18-20. Weakness of Schedule is the tie-breaker. I believe we'd have the weakest opponents combined record. So that would put us at 18. Let me know if I'm forgetting something.

Jom112
01-04-2010, 11:19 AM
Don't think you missed anything. It looks like the 18th pick is what you'll get. Might mean that you'll miss out on Joe Haden by a couple of picks...

phillyesq
01-04-2010, 11:41 AM
I hate that we have to look forward to the draft already, but 18 isn't a bad draft slot. Depending on the depth of the draft, there is usually some premium level talent left in that range. I've also read that this should be a deep year with a lot of juniors coming out due to the state of the CBA.

Oviedo
01-04-2010, 12:39 PM
I hate that we have to look forward to the draft already, but 18 isn't a bad draft slot. Depending on the depth of the draft, there is usually some premium level talent left in that range. I've also read that this should be a deep year with a lot of juniors coming out due to the state of the CBA.

Since you have to figure we are looking defense:

CB--really thin with only one or two players rated in Round 1. Haden is tops but will be gone early. Robinson from FSU is late Round 1. Both are probably going to measure 5'9" or 5'10".

Safety--best draft in years. Really deep through the first three rounds. Top end talent available in Round 1 at #18. But do you spend a Round 1 pick on a Safety that is not Troy?

DL--great draft with lots of depth. Thin at natural 3-4 NTs which is an on going issue. Really ggod to potrentially great 4-3 DTs and DEs available in Round 1. Some really good pass rusher 4-3 DEs who if we stay 3-4 we essentially have to ignore or wait 2-3 years for them to learn the OLB position. Here is this year's name to remember from UCF--Torrel Troup, 3-4 NT, 6'3" 315lbs. Got double teamed all season. Athletic player.

ILB--Only two or three potential Round 1 picks. McClain from Alabama is the best but will go early. Brandon Spikes would be a perfect Farrior replacement but may have some attitude issues. Spikes also could be a very good 4-3 MLB.

OLB--haven't looked there yet, but not a need for this defense if we stay 3-4 and draft conversion project DEs.

Since we need help on defense I figure that means Colbert will throw a curve and go offensive skill position. At #18 some names to consider:

CJ Spiller, RB, Dynamic do everything player
Jermaine Gresham, TE who can block but has WR skillset

Everyone will want a OT but who does he replace? Starks? No he has long term contract. Colon? Maybe but that assumes we let 3 year starter walk for untested rookie. Not happening.

SteelCzar76
01-04-2010, 02:11 PM
I feel as though before we can even begin to speculate as to what we will do in the upcoming draft,....i think we should first figure out what we won't do.

Meaning, do you really think Tomlin would Draft any actual stud Corner, FS, LB or D-lineman in the first round when he is so absoloutely enamored (to the point of it almost being a "starcrossed lovers" thing) with his "ordinary as a bowl of grits" boys Timmons, Mundy, Gay, Lewis, Burnett and Hood ?

This guy (Tomlin) has proven to me by pissing into the wind with every Draft that he's had since he's been here,... that he's far more concerned with bringing in suspect players so that he can be worshiped if he can win with such mediocre talent, than actually trying to IMPROVE the team.

steelblood
01-04-2010, 02:28 PM

CB--really thin with only one or two players rated in Round 1. Haden is tops but will be gone early. Robinson from FSU is late Round 1. Both are probably going to measure 5'9" or 5'10".

Safety--best draft in years. Really deep through the first three rounds. Top end talent available in Round 1 at #18. But do you spend a Round 1 pick on a Safety that is not Troy?

DL--great draft with lots of depth. Thin at natural 3-4 NTs which is an on going issue. Really ggod to potrentially great 4-3 DTs and DEs available in Round 1. Some really good pass rusher 4-3 DEs who if we stay 3-4 we essentially have to ignore or wait 2-3 years for them to learn the OLB position. Here is this year's name to remember from UCF--Torrel Troup, 3-4 NT, 6'3" 315lbs. Got double teamed all season. Athletic player.

ILB--Only two or three potential Round 1 picks. McClain from Alabama is the best but will go early. Brandon Spikes would be a perfect Farrior replacement but may have some attitude issues. Spikes also could be a very good 4-3 MLB.

OLB--haven't looked there yet, but not a need for this defense if we stay 3-4 and draft conversion project DEs.

Since we need help on defense I figure that means Colbert will throw a curve and go offensive skill position. At #18 some names to consider:

Everyone will want a OT but who does he replace? Starks? No he has long term contract. Colon? Maybe but that assumes we let 3 year starter walk for untested rookie. Not happening.

I agree that the CB class is thin. Donovan Warren from Michigan is going to come out early. He is a decent talent. I also like Prince Nakamura from NEbraska. Both have decent height and are capable corners. Maybe we could get one of these guys in the 2nd round.

If we stick 3-4, I like Troup. He has a true NT frame even if he is a little on the lighter size for the position. I also like Jerrell Powe from Ole Miss, if he declares. He is 340 pounds and is very athletic. He may need a year or two to learn the position, but he'd be able to play right away in a rotation. He also plays FB in short yardage and busts heads.

Steeler Mafia
01-04-2010, 02:33 PM

Tomlin or Colbert is not going to draft another RB. Why would they even consider giving BA more RB talent to waste next year in his pass happy between the 20's, score nothing in the redzone offense

birtikidis
01-04-2010, 02:49 PM
I feel as though before we can even begin to speculate as to what we will do in the upcoming draft,....i think we should first figure out what we won't do.

Meaning, do you really think Tomlin would Draft any actual stud Corner, FS, LB or D-lineman in the first round when he is so absoloutely enamored (to the point of it almost being a "starcrossed lovers" thing) with his "ordinary as a bowl of grits" boys Timmons, Mundy, Gay, Lewis, Burnett and Hood ?

This guy (Tomlin) has proven to me by pissing into the wind with every Draft that he's had since he's been here,... that he's far more concerned with bringing in suspect players so that he can be worshiped if he can win with such mediocre talent, than actually trying to IMPROVE the team.
I loved what I saw of hood this year. He's gonna be a stud in the Ray Seals mold.
Timmons is 22 years old. and he's and he's only going to get better. especially after they move him into Farriors spot and put a true run stopping stud next to him.
you're really knocking 3 rookie players? wow.

Shoe
01-04-2010, 03:08 PM
Very early to say obviously, but one name I like: Brian Price from UCLA (though I'm guessing he'll go higher than 18). I don't like taking a Safety very high--Safeties historically are not good value taken highly in the draft. Besides, I'm fine with Clark beside Polamalu.

I prefer line because it's the area that can *most* cover-up for other lacking areas.

The one name I hear that I don't like (in that regard) is Mt. Cody in the first round. My problem is he is a huge larda$s... and he isn't even making any money yet. (i.e. Imagine when he does start making money--lazy, etc. Price is a guy with a good head on his shoulders, and plays hard all the time.

SteelCzar76
01-04-2010, 03:08 PM

I loved what I saw of hood this year. He's gonna be a stud in the Ray Seals mold.
Timmons is 22 years old. and he's and he's only going to get better. especially after they move him into Farriors spot and put a true run stopping stud next to him.

Maybe we are watching two entirely different players Birt,... but Hood looks like the same player he was in college to me,....good motor but easily controlled at the line of scrimmage and in no form or fashion a 3-4 end with the strength and technique to consistently beat and or effectively absorb multiple blockers.

And nothing personal,... but can you or anyone else still continue to attempt to make excuses for Timmons this far into his pro career ? He was not worth a top 20 first round pick as an undersized, and very mediocre 4-3 pursuit backer coming out of a Florida State program that has been a shell of it's former glorious self for years. This cat is horrible against the run, not exceptional in coverage and not very consistent at all in terms of executing his assignments. (As i told many before Tomlin even forced him upon everyone at ILB) C'mon man

And as far as the other players that i mentioned,...did you watch any of these cats play in college ? None of them were even rated in the top ten players at their respective positions.

Call me crazy,....but i believe that more often than not, one "gets what they pay for". You cannot keep drafting Bush league talent players and expect to remain a winning franchise

birtikidis
01-04-2010, 03:15 PM

Maybe we are watching two entirely different players Birt,... but Hood looks like the same player he did in college,....good motor but easily controlled at the line of scrimmage and in no form or fashion a 3-4 end with the strength and technique to consistently beat and or effectively absorb multiple blockers.

And nothing personal,... but can you or anyone else still continue to attempt to make excuses for Timmons this far into his pro career ? He was not worth a top 20 first round pick as an undersized very mediocre 4-3 pursuit backer coming out of a Florida State program that has been a shell of it's former glorious self for years. This cat is horrible against the run, not exceptional in coverage and not very consistent at all in terms of executing his assignments. (As i told many before Tomlin even forced him upon everyone at ILB) C'mon man

And as far as the other players that i mentioned,...did you watch any of these cats play in college ? None of them were even rated in the top ten players at their respective positions.

Call me crazy,....but i believe that more often than not, one "gets what they pay for". You cannot keep drafting Bush league talent players and expect to remain a winning franchise
so... since you can't draft a top 10 player at every position we should stop drafting after the 3rd round?
and you must have been watching a different Hood then me. He showed flashes of being a very good player. I'm not sure what you expect out of rookies but did you really expect hood to come in and be as good as smith right away?
did you bust on Troy after his first year as a full time starter? many times he was out of position and making mistakes.
i did see a bit of Burnett in college and can honestly say that he will never be a starter but he'll be a very good nickle guy. must better than townswend in that role. you didn't really expect to get a revis in the 3rd or 5th rounds did you? and where did we draft Mundy... should he be the next ed reed?
seriously man, get a damn grip.

Shoe
01-04-2010, 03:16 PM
Maybe we are watching two entirely different players Birt,... but Hood looks like the same player he was in college to me,....good motor but easily controlled at the line of scrimmage and in no form or fashion a 3-4 end with the strength and technique to consistently beat and or effectively absorb multiple blockers.

And nothing personal,... but can you or anyone else still continue to attempt to make excuses for Timmons this far into his pro career ? He was not worth a top 20 first round pick as an undersized very mediocre 4-3 pursuit backer coming out of a Florida State program that has been a shell of it's former glorious self for years. This cat is horrible against the run, not exceptional in coverage and not very consistent at all in terms of executing his assignments. (As i told many before Tomlin even forced him upon everyone at ILB) C'mon man

Sad as it is to say, I think you are right on both counts. I don't see Hood being "a beast"... though I can easily see him being a sort of Chris Hoke. (I know that's not what you want from a 1st rounder, but it's not terrible either.) But, put him next to a *potential* "beast" like Brian Price, and suddenly you have a formidable mix.

As for Timmons, I really think he is much better suited as an OLB where his straight-line burst can be better trained.

aggiebones
01-04-2010, 04:48 PM
Steelczar you are way off base.
We get 1 1st rounder per year and lately its been a later pick. As was mentioned, do you expect a top 10 pick every year despite how we finish.
At his spot in the draft, Hood was a good pick.
As were most of the other players you mentioned. How many safeties drafted after Mundy are better, 1 or 2. How many drafted ahead of Mundy are already out of the league or headed that way.
Some guys will never start in the NFL but make solid backups for awhile. These are your 4-7th rounders. Not a whole lot of stars come from later rounds. Some yes, but not many.
Even good scouting misses some, but we haven't very often.
And stop blaming Tomlin for the last 2 drafts. Compared to all the coaches he had probably the weakest arm at the draft board his first 2 years. We have a deep scouting group and a knowledgeable owner and management group that are very involved. He gets a say, but not a strong or even final say.
Nothing wrong with Timmons pick. Maybe he's not the best player, but he's learning his position and will improve after 1st full season as starter.

PSU_dropout43
01-04-2010, 06:20 PM
[youtube:cdz1rlfw]EDEyXfKr5gA[/youtube:cdz1rlfw]

Chadman
01-04-2010, 07:31 PM
A couple of names that could be potential 1st or 2nd round picks for the Steelers-

DT Terrence Cody & DT Dan Williams

CB Donovan Warren, CB Ras-I Dowling, CB Trevard Lindley & as PSU showed- Perrish Cox

S- Taylor Mays, Earl Thomas, Darrell Stuckey, Major Wright

OT- Bryan Bulaga, Trent Williams

RB CJ Spiller

OG Mike Iupati

There is plenty of options for the Steelers to get a quality player or two early this year.

NW Steeler
01-04-2010, 07:40 PM
I think it will be BPA again, which this year will most likely be the same as drafting for need. ILB, NT, CB, OT, or S. You guys that follow the draft rankings or watch a lot of college ball know the names. For some reason, I think it will be OT or ILB.

NJ-STEELER
01-04-2010, 09:16 PM

thats how i feel as well, considering who we've had play with troy back there. clark (a low level FA) and chris hope (3rd rder) vefore that, they seemmto like the guy that can play it safe and let troy do his thing...something that Ant smith wass not really like...he was one that like being a playmaker.

i can see them go that route if they thing even as a FS, the guy can lineup with a wideout if needed

NJ-STEELER
01-04-2010, 09:42 PM
...i think they need to address the secondary early and often or in free agency...
clearly, thats our biggest need... dont care if the class isn't worthy of high selections...there's plenty of guys drafted out of the 1st round every year that wind up playing great corner for their teams......we need to find them...what we saw this year was disgusting and unacceptable...college CBs weren't getting beat as badly as ours were this year

....i dont know why we would need a NT in the 1st to replace casey. do we really need to draft someone that high in order to take up space and hold off 2 OL. does it require a first rounbd talent to do that?(i'm asking)
we've seen hoke do an admirable job of playing NT the season hampton got hurt. Joel Steed (3rd rder) went to a few pro bowls playing NT in our system.
if they are looking to change to a 4-3 soon, then i wouldn't mind seeing one drafted that high..the DT 4-3 type

...ILB is another position i'd rather draft later (unless we go for a MLB in a 4-3). there's 2 playmakers on the outside and a (hopefully) developing one on the inside with timmons.
I'd look to guys like earl holmes and jerry olsavsky as guys we can get later... throw them in the mix with a talented group and have him reap the benefits of that.
I'd prefer the thumper type (holmes) more then olsavlsky type.

...isn't Colon an UFA this year. what happens if his demands are higher then we expect. then we're starting someone with no experience anyway in ubrick or foster, unless we move essex over to RT. plus, if there's a guy at 18 that can come in and play RT next year and still have potential for LT in a few years (Otah), i'd say do it...make sure they can move their feet a little bit. its amazing watchign other teams Ol come out of a screen and see them run downfield to make those blocks while our guys stumble over their feet and they try not to get tangled up at the line of scrimmage.

right now i'm thinking, resign clark to a reasonable deal, and satrt to envision what we drafted K lewis for...is he a corner or a FS.
I'd also look anywhere in the draft for someone for a OC or a OG that they think they can convert to center (like they did with dirt)

1.CB
2.OT
3. NT/ILB
4.ILB/NT
4. (comp) CB or FS if lewis is a CB
5.DE/OLB
7.BPA
7.KO specialist

be ready to move up (if they really like someone) or move down to get another 1st day pick

SteelCzar76
01-05-2010, 10:26 AM
Steelczar you are way off base.
We get 1 1st rounder per year and lately its been a later pick. As was mentioned, do you expect a top 10 pick every year despite how we finish.
At his spot in the draft, Hood was a good pick.
As were most of the other players you mentioned. How many safeties drafted after Mundy are better, 1 or 2. How many drafted ahead of Mundy are already out of the league or headed that way.
Some guys will never start in the NFL but make solid backups for awhile. These are your 4-7th rounders. Not a whole lot of stars come from later rounds. Some yes, but not many.
Even good scouting misses some, but we haven't very often.
And stop blaming Tomlin for the last 2 drafts. Compared to all the coaches he had probably the weakest arm at the draft board his first 2 years. We have a deep scouting group and a knowledgeable owner and management group that are very involved. He gets a say, but not a strong or even final say.
Nothing wrong with Timmons pick. Maybe he's not the best player, but he's learning his position and will improve after 1st full season as starter.

I believe that you are missing my point Aggie which is simple,... Colbert under Tomlin is now making ridiculous reaches in the early rounds (as well as trading picks for punters) and Tomlin is intent on late round marginally talented players becoming starters,.....all of them. Not a few "diamond in the rough" late round picks,....but cats whom at their very best for the duration of their careers will only ever be of backup quality.

Case in point: His (Tomlin's) "logic" for taking a marginally productive 4-3 DT with a second round grade in the first,.. was that we need a young D-end to DEVELOP ?. Uuuuuh,...but in our system,... we find our ends later. Hencforth the developmental stage is not killing us because we used early picks to get impact players. So,.. this suppossed "logic" was B.S.

The truth was actually that Lauranaitis and Maualuga were far better players of greater value at a position of need for us. (ILB)

But,....selecting either one of them would have comprimised his (Tomlin's) lover Timmons. And he (Tomlin) was not going to have that. And henceforth,..he put "his" guy's fortune over that of the wellbeing of the team.

Which brings me back to my original the point,....if Tomlin has a hard on for a player,... he's not going to attempt to actually upgrade the position no matter how poorly they play. (Ie: The aforementioned players at the aforementioned positions in my original post)

RuthlessBurgher
01-05-2010, 10:39 AM
...isn't Colon an UFA this year.

He is one of many guys who would be an UFA this offseason under normal circumstances, but without a new CBA agreement in place, players will need 6 accrued seasons in order to reach unrestricted free agency instead of the usual 4 accrued seasons. Therefore, we will likely be able to keep Colon for another year with a simple RFA tender (like we did this past season), unless the owners and the players miraculously come up with a new collective bargaining agreement in the next few months (which is not expected to happen). The RFA tender will cost in the neighborhood of $2 million.

RuthlessBurgher
01-05-2010, 01:31 PM
For what it is worth, here are the players picked at #18 this past decade:

2009 DEN Robert Ayers, DE
2008 BAL Joe Flacco, QB
2007 CIN Leon Hall, CB
2006 DAL Bobby Carpenter, LB
2005 MIN Erasmus James, DE
2004 NO Will Smith, DE
2003 ARZ Calvin Pace, DE
2002 ATL T.J. Duckett, RB
2001 DET Jeff Backus, OT
2000 NYJ Chad Pennington, QB

Oviedo
01-05-2010, 01:42 PM
For what it is worth, here are the players picked at #18 this past decade:

2009 DEN Robert Ayers, DE
2008 BAL Joe Flacco, QB
2007 CIN Leon Hall, CB
2006 DAL Bobby Carpenter, LB
2005 MIN Erasmus James, DE
2004 NO Will Smith, DE
2003 ARZ Calvin Pace, DE
2002 ATL T.J. Duckett, RB
2001 DET Jeff Backus, OT
2000 NYJ Chad Pennington, QB

Not exactly a Pro Bowl roster is it? And people complain about our first round picks.

frankthetank1
01-05-2010, 01:51 PM

first of all mundy and gay were at least 5th round picks OR lower. you expect gems in the late rounds? really? lewis and burnett are only rookies and weren't high picks. hood was a late first rounder but he played pretty well as a rookie so not sure what your problem is with that pick. do you forget woodley was a low 2nd round pick? didnt see woodley mentioned in any of your posts which is odd to me. timmons is still young but it has taken him a while to develop but what does that matter? they drafted woodley right behind him in the 2nd. if they drafted timmons in the 2nd and wood in the first i bet you wouldnt have a problem with that right? we get it you dont like tomlin, understood but dont just bring up the negatives without mention of the positives just because its convienent in your arguement

NW Steeler
01-05-2010, 02:40 PM
It's apparent that the Czar believes that Tomlin is operating under a conspiracy to systematically destroy the Steelers by making horrible player evaluations and draft picks. I wonder what he thought of some of Cowher's picks.....

:Hater

PSU_dropout43
01-05-2010, 06:32 PM
The truth was actually that Lauranaitis and Maualuga were far better players of greater value at a position of need for us. (ILB)

But,....selecting either one of them would have comprimised his (Tomlin's) lover Timmons. And he (Tomlin) was not going to have that. And henceforth,..he put "his" guy's fortune over that of the wellbeing of the team.

Which brings me back to my original the point,....if Tomlin has a hard on for a player,... he's not going to attempt to actually upgrade the position no matter how poorly they play. (Ie: The aforementioned players at the aforementioned positions in my original post)

Tomlin's gay.