PDA

View Full Version : And the culling begins...

Chadman
01-04-2010, 09:47 AM
Zorn has been sacked by the Redskins...who's next?

Oviedo
01-04-2010, 09:51 AM

I think there will be fewer changes than people expect. I think Fox and Phillips are secure in Carolina and Dallas. I think Mangini finished strong enough to get another year in Cleveland.

Openings that will happen: Buffalo. Openings that may happen: Chicago. NY Giants.

Everyone else is new and won't be changed out after one year.

SteelBucks
01-04-2010, 09:56 AM

I think there will be fewer changes than people expect. I think Fox and Phillips are secure in Carolina and Dallas. I think Mangini finished strong enough to get another year in Cleveland.

Openings that will happen: Buffalo. Openings that may happen: Chicago. NY Giants.

Everyone else is new and won't be changed out after one year.

Cowher may have to lower his expectations and be our new ST coach. :D

Chadman
01-04-2010, 10:04 AM
Cowher will coach the Bills.

And it'll work too- you watch.

Actually a little excited to see him back in the game.

SteelBucks
01-04-2010, 10:09 AM

I'm looking forward to it also. It'll just seem strange not seeing him in black and gold.

RussBII
01-04-2010, 10:10 AM

I'm looking forward to it also. It'll just seem strange not seeing him in black and gold.

I'll be excited to see him back, unless he rips off a ton of AFC Championship games win, then I will hate him forever.

JTP53609
01-04-2010, 10:23 AM
last season the bengals got off to a horrendous start and than won 4 straight to end the year, the browns did the exact same thing....I cant stand them, but I can respect the way they finished, they dont have a horrendous team, would not be surprised to see them pull of a bengal like turnaround. maybe get 8 wins next year

feltdizz
01-04-2010, 01:15 PM

I'm anxious to see it as well. I want to see if he still has it.

Slapstick
01-04-2010, 01:52 PM
I think Cowher may wait one more year for the ideal situation...

Buffalo is hardly ideal...

Next year is John Fox's contract year in Carolina...Jerry Richardson is reputed to be a good and fair owner in the Rooney mold...

I think that Fox will complete his contract and Cowher will take over...I think he would prefer an NFC team at this point...

Of course, if Ralph Wilson throws money at him, he may just go to Buffalo...there have been accounts of Wilson approaching possible suitors for his franchise...one way to add value to a franchise is to hire a SB winning, money making coach...

ghettoscott
01-04-2010, 02:15 PM

I feel bad for Zorn; Campbell is a horrible horrible QB and will drag down any HC that comes through there. If the Skins had a decent QB I think Zorn would have had more success.

Jom112
01-04-2010, 02:19 PM
I think Cowher may wait one more year for the ideal situation...

Buffalo is hardly ideal...

Next year is John Fox's contract year in Carolina...Jerry Richardson is reputed to be a good and fair owner in the Rooney mold...

I think that Fox will complete his contract and Cowher will take over...I think he would prefer an NFC team at this point...

Of course, if Ralph Wilson throws money at him, he may just go to Buffalo...there have been accounts of Wilson approaching possible suitors for his franchise...one way to add value to a franchise is to hire a SB winning, money making coach...

I'm thinking Cowher sits another year as well. Unless the Texans or Bears job becomes available...

NW Steeler
01-04-2010, 03:35 PM

I feel bad for Zorn; Campbell is a horrible horrible QB and will drag down any HC that comes through there. If the Skins had a decent QB I think Zorn would have had more success.

Isn't that just hilarious how the media jumps all over the jock of certain players? Remember last year when everyone in the media was slurping on Campbell before he played the Steelers? He went in the tank the rest of the year. Same with Vince Young this year after his rebirth. And how about Cassell last year?? Whatever, the media is a joke.

Sugar
01-04-2010, 03:41 PM
Zorn seems like a good man but may not be Head Coach material- kind of like Richard LeBeau.

aggiebones
01-04-2010, 04:37 PM
Zorn was never above a QB coach, so him being head man in Washington was ridiculous.
Campbell is not as bad as the players around him.
They had a horrible line to start the season and they all got hurt. Yikes.
Portis is a prima donna instead of the bellcow he wants to be called.
No WRs on the team worth having.

They have some young offensive players that could help down the line, but most have attitude problems beginning. A new coach will have to nip things in the bud quickly there before they lose that set of players.

Defense is OK and has a solid base, but its aging and not alot of recent picks filling the holes.

papillon
01-04-2010, 04:47 PM
Maybe, the Steelers can pilfer Joe Bugel isn't he their offensive line coach? Make him the "Director of offensive linemen" that way it's a raise and we can nab him.

Pappy

buckeyehoppy
01-04-2010, 05:19 PM

I'd think so...and the dynamic works for him. Buffalo and Pittsburgh are very similar towns, so it shouldn't feel that strange to him. Plus, I think the element of a move is still in play. Ralph Wilson may be looking to liquidate ASAP and Toronto is chomping at the bit to get into the NFL.

Much of the Bills fan base is in Southern Ontario anyway, so the marriage would be natural as long as Toronto can get a real football stadium built (Rogers Centre works for CFL and baseball, but not for the NFL).

I don't think the Bills are nearly as much of a project as some other teams, but still need work. I'm not sure Cowher wants a project. But this year's HC openings may be sparse. If The Chin wants in, he may need to go with the best of what's around. He could do worse than the Bills.

Sugar
01-04-2010, 07:35 PM
IMO, if the chin wants in he would probably do better to wait another year. Of course this is stated before a playoff game has yet been played. If Dallas were to get outed early, say against Philly, there's no telling what Mr. Jones would do to get a proven winner.

stlrz d
01-04-2010, 11:33 PM
Cowher to coach the Bills?!?

http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l50/ropewalk_2006/teeth.jpg

http://www.wgrz.com/news/local/story.as ... 79&catid=4 (http://www.wgrz.com/news/local/story.aspx?storyid=73279&catid=4)

Brian Billick May Be Putting Together Coaching Staff

Orchard Park, NY -- There are indications former Baltimore Ravens head coach Brian Billick is in the process of putting together a coaching staff to join him in Buffalo, even though Billick said on the NFL Network Monday "I've not had contact with the Bills as of yet".

Ch2 Sports Director Ed Kilgore has learned from an NFL source that Billick contacted Jacksonville Jaguars assistant head coach/tight ends coach Mike Tice about the possibility of joining Billick if he is named head coach of the Bills. This begs the question "is Billick putting the cart before the horse" here? We'll find out shortly, as several media outlets report the Bills plan to contact Billick about their head coaching job very soon.

ESPN.com AFC East Writer Tim Graham thinks Billick would be a perfect fit for the Bills.

"This shows that he really wants it," Graham said of Billick's decision to try to build a staff. "I think that Brian Billick, like Marty Schottenheimer, has the credentials that suit the Bills. He's an offensive-minded coach. He's has a track record... He's ready to go, so I think that that he would have to be at the top of the list."

ramblinjim
01-05-2010, 12:07 AM
I'd take Buges, the 'Skins Oline stunk this year but there was a serious lack of talent and some old guys trying to patch that one up.

Discipline of Steel
01-05-2010, 07:52 AM
I vote Mangina as Most Likely to Be Culled. :brownssuck 4 game winning streak besides the point. That was as much attributed to Cribbs as anyone.