PDA

View Full Version : the logan question

JTP53609
01-04-2010, 09:30 AM
Let me be the first to say, I was never high on Stefan Logan, in the middle of the year I was saying what a waste of spot he was on the 53....but he really turned it on and was borderline electric during the last half of the year. He was impressive and gave us good field position when at times it looked like we would be pinned back.......Is he worth bringing back since we now see what he can do on a consistant basis...

Chadman
01-04-2010, 09:34 AM
In a word- yes.

But, it would be GREAT if the Steelers could find a way to put him on the field other than on KR.

Can he catch? If so- he could be very interesting on little RB designed pass catches out of the backfield..

Oviedo
01-04-2010, 09:39 AM
Logan probably earned himself another season with his late season surge, but it will be interesting to see if the team drafts a DB with return abilities who will render him redundant.

Chadman
01-04-2010, 09:44 AM
Logan probably earned himself another season with his late season surge, but it will be interesting to see if the team drafts a DB with return abilities who will render him redundant.

You mean like Joe Burnett?

:tt1

calmkiller
01-04-2010, 10:03 AM
Or like Mike Wallace?

phillyesq
01-04-2010, 10:29 AM
Logan should absolutely be brought back next year. He performed his role very well and has a low salary. I wouldn't guarantee his spot, but I think he goes into camp as the starting returner. If somebody can beat him out as a returner or prove to be his equal while contributing elsewhere, than I wouldn't keep him. Barring that, I'd give him another year.

JTP53609
01-04-2010, 12:01 PM
not only his return skills, but he has made quite an improvement on kick coverage too, he has made some nice tackles after looking horrible earlier in the year in coverage..

flippy
01-04-2010, 12:03 PM
He could get a chance to compete for the #4 WR spot that's wide open.

Plus Parker could leave and he might get a shot at RB.

Starlifter
01-04-2010, 01:07 PM
I bet Logan spends the entire off season working on his pass catching skills. can you imagine him and wallace on crossing deep routes? he stays for sure, he was the only bright spot on special teams this year.

Snatch98
01-04-2010, 01:16 PM
I 100% want Logan to stick around. However the guys saying he can compete for the 4th WR spot are delusional. He's 5'6 and I'm not giving up on Sweed to fight for that spot. Logan stays and I'd bet sweed comes around. I guess we'll see but lets not turn Logan in to the next Issac Redman only at WR lol.

SteelAbility
01-04-2010, 01:17 PM
Logan is totally worth keeping. He's the best STs returner we've had in years. Going from the CFL to the NFL is a huge adjustment (in terms of the speed coming at you) and he has performed well above the average returner even with an inferior STs unit around him. It shouldn't be too hard to find ways to work him into the O (end-arounds, quick outs, even as a passer out of a hand-off for short distance passes). If we use him as a gadget passer, his elusiveness alone should give us an incomplete pass at worst.

feltdizz
01-04-2010, 01:25 PM
The best KR in the last 20 years and we wonder if he should stay?

Ghost
01-04-2010, 02:28 PM
During the game yesterday, Dierdorf mentioned how Tomlin had told him how he wanted to get logan on the field more and the ball into his hands. Never saw it happen though. Seems as if it's something they look to do and take advantage of being quick and the shiftiness.

3rd out of top 50 for total kickoff return yards.

steelblood
01-04-2010, 02:32 PM
I don't think there is any question here at all.

Logan is a very good kick returner and an ok punt returner. He will cost us very little to bring back and if we find someone better in camp, it won't cost us much to cut him. Logan comes back.

Starlifter
01-04-2010, 02:56 PM
During the game yesterday, Dierdorf mentioned how Tomlin had told him how he wanted to get logan on the field more and the ball into his hands. Never saw it happen though. Seems as if it's something they look to do and take advantage of being quick and the shiftiness.

that would be creative and potentially innovative. two words that are never associated with Bruce Arians.

Shoe
01-04-2010, 03:18 PM
Let me be the first to say, I was never high on Stefan Logan, in the middle of the year I was saying what a waste of spot he was on the 53....but he really turned it on and was borderline electric during the last half of the year. He was impressive and gave us good field position when at times it looked like we would be pinned back.......Is he worth bringing back since we now see what he can do on a consistant basis...

Pretty much the same feelings for me... but I did have VERY high (unrealistic) hopes for him following the preseason. I would be OK with keeping him (I'm assuming he also improves)

SteelAbility
01-04-2010, 03:34 PM

that would be creative and potentially innovative. two words that are never associated with Bruce Arians.

It's a good day to take a shot at BA. Come to think of it, pretty much every day is, especially when we're frustrated about having missed the playoffs by one or two plays here or there. :P

RuthlessBurgher
01-04-2010, 03:57 PM
I compared Logan's first year stats to Josh Cribbs' first year stats in another thread a week or two ago. Now that the season is over, look at how he stacks up to the best return man in the game back when he was a newbie to the league:

Logan

55 kick returns for 1466 yards (26.7 average) with a long of 83 yards and 0 TD's

30 punt returns for 280 yards (9.3 average) with a long of 25 yards and 0 TD's

Cribbs

45 kick returns for 1094 yards (24.3 average) with a long of 90 yards and 1 TD

1 punt return for 5 yards (5.0 average) with a long of 5 yards and 0 TD's

Steelerphile
01-04-2010, 04:34 PM
I think Logan exceeded my expectations. He was a exceptional kick returner and there is some question about whether he should return? I don't think he'll do much at the receiver position, though. Since Willie Parker will be gone, I think Logan should get a shot at the backup running back position. I am totally serious. He may be short, but he is built with strength.

SteelAbility
01-04-2010, 04:52 PM
I compared Logan's first year stats to Josh Cribbs' first year stats in another thread a week or two ago. Now that the season is over, look at how he stacks up to the best return man in the game back when he was a newbie to the league:

Logan

55 kick returns for 1466 yards (26.7 average) with a long of 83 yards and 0 TD's

30 punt returns for 280 yards (9.3 average) with a long of 25 yards and 0 TD's

Cribbs

45 kick returns for 1094 yards (24.3 average) with a long of 90 yards and 1 TD

1 punt return for 5 yards (5.0 average) with a long of 5 yards and 0 TD's

Now, invoking the extrapolation principle we can expect Logan to have a year with about a 29.7 KR average and about 4 TDs. Yoohoo!! The hard part is extrapolating the long. I guess that would have to be 110 yards!! :P

All kidding aside. I love Logan. If we surround him with some better STs play, I think he can have a year with 2 or 3 KRs for TDs and an average around 28.

RuthlessBurgher
01-04-2010, 04:57 PM
The hard part is extrapolating the long. I guess that would have to be 110 yards!! :P

Well, if you field a kick at the very back of the end zone, with your feet just in bounds, then stupidly return it instead of downing it, and somehow take it to the house, it would be a 109 yard kick return! :mrgreen:

Starlifter
01-04-2010, 11:01 PM
It's a good day to take a shot at BA. Come to think of it, pretty much every day is, especially when we're frustrated about having missed the playoffs by one or two plays here or there. :P

I believe the plays that cost us the playoffs occurred on special teams and the defense. Having said that, no absolution for BA here - I'm not a fan.