PDA

View Full Version : Guessing game starts - who won't be back next year?

SanAntonioSteelerFan
01-04-2010, 12:07 AM
It's kind of hard for me to say - the guys in the secondary who really suck might be just fine if Troy starts cruising again.

Farrior?

FWP?

Sweed?

Hines? :shock: :wft

birtikidis
01-04-2010, 12:10 AM
FWP will probably be gone.
ligashesky
zierlien
hopefully ty carter
tyler grisham
that reciever we signed last week
and the surprise will be aaron smith. i bet he retires...

feltdizz
01-04-2010, 12:24 AM
If they let Tyrone Carter go and kept everyone else and I would be happy. (honest sarcasm)

papillon
01-04-2010, 12:28 AM
FWP will probably be gone. (Unfortunate, but, true, he proved valuable in the last 5 games as the change of pace we all wanted)
ligashesky Deserved
zierlien Deserved
hopefully ty carter He's 34 and will probably be released, he can't keep up. He's a been a good Steeler, plays hard and never gives up.
tyler grisham that reciever we signed last week (Agreed)
and the surprise will be aaron smith. i bet he retires... (This is entirely possible and sad. What a Steeler this guy has been

Others you may have missed:

Gay won't be gone, but he won't be a starter
Ray Horton should be shown the door
Farrior may not be gone based on the extension, but he'll significantly less reps next year
DeShea, another gray beard that probably won't make the team, another good Steeler
One of these will retire Kirschke, Kiesel or Hoke

Pappy

Djfan
01-04-2010, 12:32 AM
I'm hoping that FWP takes the hometown discount and stays. Don't care if Moore stays or goes.

I hope we lose Sweed and Speath, pick up a legit FB, lose the zone blocking and play ball control.

I hope we get rid of the LeBeau cushion and get studs who will produce in the secondary.

Buh bye Brucey Airhead, Larry Z and the ST coach whose name I have already forgotten.

papillon
01-04-2010, 12:40 AM
I'm hoping that FWP takes the hometown discount and stays. Don't care if Moore stays or goes.

I hope we lose Sweed and Speath, pick up a legit FB, lose the zone blocking and play ball control.

I hope we get rid of the LeBeau cushion and get studs who will produce in the secondary.

Buh bye Brucey Airhead, Larry Z and the ST coach whose name I have already forgotten.

Sweed isn't going anywhere and hopefully, he'll get his head right and be a contributor next year. Spaeth should go, he was used so little, we could have cut him and signed a kicker to do nothing but kick the ball into the end zone.

Pappy

steelerkeylargo
01-04-2010, 12:44 AM
FWP will probably be gone. (Unfortunate, but, true, he proved valuable in the last 5 games as the change of pace we all wanted)
ligashesky Deserved
zierlien Deserved
hopefully ty carter He's 34 and will probably be released, he can't keep up. He's a been a good Steeler, plays hard and never gives up.
and the surprise will be aaron smith. i bet he retires... (This is entirely possible and sad. What a Steeler this guy has been

Farrior may not be gone based on the extension, but he'll significantly less reps next year
DeShea, another gray beard that probably won't make the team, another good Steeler

Pappy

Brett Kiesel is no where near retirement

SanAntonioSteelerFan
01-04-2010, 12:52 AM
To have a guy on the roster like Spaeth be so invisible ... that is as damning an indictment of BA as anything else.

Surely the Rooney's see that his lack of in-game adjustment will be the millstone around the Steelers' neck, no matter what else happens with the player and coaching roster?

Maybe Kubiak will be available ...

Mister Pittsburgh
01-04-2010, 01:01 AM
and the surprise will be aaron smith. i bet he retires...

Oh man. That would blow. I could see it though as he is older, and might want to spend more time with his kid after all that has gone down in that department.

Chadman
01-04-2010, 01:02 AM
Honestly- there will be few changes.

OL will likely stay the same, with Stapleton coming back- they'll call that an addition to the line. Maybe it is?

RB- Parker might be gone if he can find a job elsewhere (Arizona?), Moore will probably stay. If Parker can't get at least split time, he might be back. Frank Summers makes the team perhaps?

TE- Speath- probably will be in camp to fight off a challenge (insert rookie here).

DL- Hampton is the key. Chadman says Hampton comes back when they realise there isn't much room to wiggle with at NT. Kirschke will go. Other than that, they'll all likely return.

LB- Changes? Doubt it- unless Farrior retires (very unlikely).

WR- No need for change- outside of Sweed's troubles, this was an elite unit.

QB- same as above- no change required.

DB- If Hampton returns, Clark will likely be gone. Deshea will be in a battle to retain his spot- could be cut. Ty Carter will be in a battle too- but might survive because of so little depth on the roster.

Coaches- Ligerwhatsit will be gone. Zeirlein SHOULD be gone. Could go if Tomlin needs heads to roll. LeBeau could be a surprise retirement (Or move to Cowher's staff with no block from Steelers). Horton is likely gone. Doubt Arians is punted after Ben's season.

Leading up to FA, there won't be much change for the Steelers. A couple of cost cutting shaves hee & there, but no major surprise. It's the Steeler Way. The Draft will offer up options in camp to existing roster players, with maybe 1 or 2 FA additions of note.

Honestly- this team is pretty good- just had a bad year. Doubt we'll see massive moves.

buckeyehoppy
01-04-2010, 01:12 AM

If FWP stays, he assumes Moore's role, methinks. I don't think he's staying to be a role player, tho.

I hope we lose Sweed and Spaeth, pick up a legit FB, lose the zone blocking and play ball control.

I wonder how much of a difference BA's absence will change the way our O functions. I don't think we'll be able to afford this much wholesale change. A new O scheme may change the way players are utilized.

We will need to address the secondary in the draft and, most likely, in FA. I don't know if the value necessarily lies in the draft, so we will prolly need to play the FA card.

One can only hope!

Sweed isn't going anywhere and hopefully, he'll get his head right and be a contributor next year. Spaeth should go, he was used so little, we could have cut him and signed a kicker to do nothing but kick the ball into the end zone.

If Sweed doesn't have it together, he won't even make it out of camp next season. Spaeth was a waste of a 3rd round pick. I doubt he makes it outta camp next year.

JTP53609
01-04-2010, 09:12 AM
hopefully clark will be gone, i have not really been the biggest fan of his and yesterday he not only got run over but the play where he went for the hit instead of the easy pic 6 is another example of how he always goes for the hit first....
carter, townsend, krischke will be gone, farrior will be a backup at best, and with no cap next year i hope we go out and get someone to play ILB just like how we went out and got farrior to replace holmes in 01....

Oviedo
01-04-2010, 09:34 AM
The biggest question is whether Tomlin takes this window of opportunity to switch to the 4-3 defense. He will have no better opportunity given the the complete lack of performance this season. Once that decision is made all the dominoes will start to fall with regards to LeBeau, Hampton, Clark, etc.

Player wise not much change on offense but IMO Arians has taken the offense as far as he can and should go. Not sure he will given the record perfoamnce by Ben, Hine, Santonio and Mendy. However he needs to make changes to be more efficient.

Special Teams: Coach got to go.

Remember Tomlin inherited a big part of this coaching staff and this season will give him the opportuinity to make changes to bring "his guys" in. It will be interesting to see if he does that.

Northern_Blitz
01-04-2010, 09:36 AM
It will be interesting to see what teams do with no salary cap penalties to releasing players.

I don't think we would, but could we now release a guy we just signed for big money with no penalty?

SteelBucks
01-04-2010, 09:38 AM
Here are my guesses and I don't agree with all of them:

Clark
Hampton (should try to resign)
Parker
Reed

SteelBucks
01-04-2010, 09:39 AM
The biggest question is whether Tomlin takes this window of opportunity to switch to the 4-3 defense.

You're not going to let this go are you? :wink:

papillon
01-04-2010, 10:34 AM
ligashesky Deserved
zierlien Deserved

Pappy

Brett Kiesel is no where near retirement

Probably true, but Hoke and Kirschke are long in the tooth and I believe one of those two will retire, maybe both. I love Kiesel as a player, but Eason started showing some improvement late in the year and I expect if he continues he will be part of the youth infusion. Of course, I'm not sure a 29 year old player is a youth infusion.

Ziggy will be a full time DE or DT next year pending the scheme.

Pappy

Djfan
01-04-2010, 10:41 AM
Batch won't be back.

Steelerphile
01-04-2010, 05:13 PM
I don't think FWP should be resigned. He was injured a lot of the season and he didn't play that much. He had one good game, the last one, and the only one he appeared really healthy.

I think Tyrone Carter has had a good career for a player with his physical characteristics. He hung on as long as he has with a lot of "want to", but the hour glass has run out on his career.

Kirschke can't stay healthy; so, I doubt he will return.

I would like to see them keep Hampton. He did come into camp in much better shape. If he can be convinced that he needs to do that for however, long he stays in the league, he is still a valuable nose tackle.

I doubt Charlie Batch will be back.

I wouldn't mind seeing Ryan Clark come back but I still think they need to draft a safety relatively high, to compete with him.

DeShea still has the savvy but he needs to push himself to stay in top condition, if he is going to have any value. I don't think he'll be back, but an outside possibility.

Patrick Bailey did not seem to be as much a factor on STs this year. He's not secure.

Never been a Trai Essex fan. I guess he'll be back though.

They need a stud at corner. Gay is not quite that player. Burnett probably isn't but I still like what he can do. I don't know enough about Keenan Lewis, but they have to fortify that area.